Mass Effect 3

+

Guest 2091327

Charza said:
The 2nd game was in my opinion a lot better in terms of storytelling.
I agree that the RPG elements were dumbed down a lot, but in this instance I think it genuinely works out. Sidequests were also a lot more interesting and better tied into the main storyline, and I liked how they integrated savegame data from the first game.

Considering the second game had virtually no story, this comment strikes me as rather odd. That was covered at length in the old forum though, so no need to repeat them here.

I'm not looking forward to ME3 as I think Bioware will continue down its negative games development path. We'll likely see lots of corridor fights on Earth. After the mandatory "gather a team" beginning.

This series could have been epic. The first game is brilliant (but with some flaws). Most importantly it set up a fantastically rich universe. Then ME2 came and crapped all over it. Now they're playing catchup and can't really make much sense out of the story without further crapping all over its foundations.

I actually find it amazing how such a big company can bring something so good down in such a short time. We may also look at a longer timeframe here, from Bioware's beginnings. They've gone from the unsurpassed brilliance of Baldur's Gate to the pathetic joke that is DA2. Sad to see them continually machinegun themselves in the feet. I don't expect them to let go of the trigger for ME3.

I'm completely given up on BioWare because they have screwed up on Mass Effect 2 by inputting that ammo clip thing and to me that didn't feel like Mass Effect at all.

^^ The ammo clip was annoying. Sure it's similar in most games these days (ammunition), but IDK how you go from an infinite ammo game to one with finite ammo. Did all of the weapons downgrade since the last game? It wasn't even that they had ammo clips that bothered me, it was that they gave you so few ammo reserves, that sometimes you spent more time searching around for ammo rather than moving along in the quest.

Overall, though, I thought ME2 was good, and if you paid attention, the story was still there. I didn't like that so much time was spent mining for minerals and gaining your squad's loyalty rather than focusing on the main storyline. I guess they did that to make people get a feel for the characters that they were recruiting and give them more of a story rather than the bits you get from talking to them.

In ME2 you do find out a lot of things that weren't clear from ME1 and they also set the stage for the final game. It always bothered me that you could travel to our solar system, but never visit earth. At least now it will be possible. Plus the reapers were involved in every aspect of ME2. Sure it wasn't the imminent danger of the destruction of the universe like in ME1, but the collectors and their whole story was all tied with the reapers. Now it looks like in ME3, the reapers will be attacking earth once and for all to try to wipe out humans (or at least try to kill Shepard by baiting him there) and dominate the universe once again.

Could it have been more RPG oriented? Sure, but they still did a heck of a job. Apparently your decisions from ME1 & ME2 will have more consequences on ME3, so it should be interesting to see.

Plus can you really say that your choices in ME had little to do with ME2, when TW2 had the same thing? In TW2, there were only a couple conversions that brought up a few things that I did in TW1 and even still there were a couple inconsistencies.

Oh well, I'll more than likely be getting ME3 when it comes out.

will be odd man out on this one.
True the heat clip was a pain granted but think it was a lot better then the heat sink going out on you in the middle of a fire fight.
or looking around for a better upgrade on the heat sink

on that same note did any of you see the pre order weapon you get
I just went meh.
But still I'm going to get the game I want to know if the Rachni Queen Returns will keep her word after I let her live

My only issue with the ammo clips was that they had already written a canon reason why ammo clips weren't necessary. Then they went back on it and introduced ammo clips to be like every other shooter. It doesn't make any sense why the military would go backwards in technology. Gameplay wise, I had no real issue with it. Chances are, your gun would overheat more than it'd run out of ammo, since there was almost always just ammo lying around, not to mention being able to pick up your enemies' ammo.

spookyxelectric said:
My only issue with the ammo clips was that they had already written a canon reason why ammo clips weren't necessary. Then they went back on it and introduced ammo clips to be like every other shooter. It doesn't make any sense why the military would go backwards in technology.

This, so much. At least there was a mod that combined both ammo types. You regenerated ammo automatically but picking up a ammo clip was much faster.

Also, I had problems with ammo on my Infiltrator :D My Widow was almost always out of ammo.

spookyxelectric said:
My only issue with the ammo clips was that they had already written a canon reason why ammo clips weren't necessary. Then they went back on it and introduced ammo clips to be like every other shooter. It doesn't make any sense why the military would go backwards in technology. Gameplay wise, I had no real issue with it. Chances are, your gun would overheat more than it'd run out of ammo, since there was almost always just ammo lying around, not to mention being able to pick up your enemies' ammo.

Bioware does not respect lore. They go with what's popular.

I agree about them going backwards in technology. The reason the game gave for having clips was to prevent overheating in the weapons. Fine, makes sense, but why are the clips so small and why can I only carry so few?

For the most part they'd be lying around everywhere, but there were plenty of times when I'd be completely out of ammo using my secondary weapons and even running out on most of those. I aim pretty well too, and i get headshots on most of my shots. I can only imagine how someone who doesn't have that good aim would fare.

Guest 2091327

The technological regression to ammo clips was annoying. I'm not a bad shot either, but quite often had to run right into the firefight to collect clips from dead foes because my weapons had run out. Think it worked much better in the first game with overheating.

But the biggest problem for me in ME2 is that nothing really happens in it. Think about it. At the end of ME you have just saved the galaxy. But the Reapers are still out there waiting to find a way in to wipe out all life. In ME2 you then fight an extremely odd proxy war with the Collectors, which makes zero sense, and at the end of the game nothing has changed. The Reapers are still out there wanting to wipe out all life.

When you take a step back from the action of the game itself, the second game in the trilogy makes so little sense it borders on embarrassing. There is retcon all over the place. On its own as a shooter it's not bad, but as a follow up to Mass Effect it's a terribly designed game with so many plotholes you can comfortably drive a Mako through them (even with its dodgy controlling).

In these pre-ME3 times I hope things will improve, but despite announcements by BioWare along those lines I don't believe them.

Well, I agree that "destroy" is the least bad of three, but each and every ending is logically problematic because the presence of Reaper AI on the Citadel have demolished the entire plot of ME1:
- What's the purpose of Sovereign and Saren if Reaper AI is already installed on the station? What was preventing the Catalyst from activating the mass relay?
- How could Sovereign be unaware of Protheans reprogramming the Keepers? Was Catalyst trolling its own minion?
That's my main issue with the ending, but the point is that RPG should have a variety of endings, including the uplifting. I'm fine with tragic ones, I think I've picked "refuse" half the time I played ME3, but again, there should have been options. ;)
Taking this here (with a nerco BAD RAWLS).

I agree that ME3 is ... clumsy ... in it's dealing with major ME1 plot points. The best I've been able to head-canon is the catalyst does not communicate with the Reapers, other than activating them at the appropriate time and they are not aware of its existence. I don't see it as trolling necessarily, only a precaution so that the Reapers don't try to overthrow their master. Again, it's not perfect, but it's the best I've been able to do.

Guest 3847602

Taking this here (with a nerco BAD RAWLS).

I agree that ME3 is ... clumsy ... in it's dealing with major ME1 plot points. The best I've been able to head-canon is the catalyst does not communicate with the Reapers, other than activating them at the appropriate time and they are not aware of its existence. I don't see it as trolling necessarily, only a precaution so that the Reapers don't try to overthrow their master. Again, it's not perfect, but it's the best I've been able to do.
7 years and 5 days... you'd make both Detmold and Yennefer proud with this necro. :p
I still see the problem with how your theory meshes with "I embody the collective intelligence of all Reapers" line and how the control ending is presented.
Doesn't really matter, we all do what we can to make sense of the ending. For me, personally, this mod (version B) works the best.

I still see the problem with how your theory meshes with "I embody the collective intelligence of all Reapers" line and how the control ending is presented.
Yes the catalyst knows all that the reapers know, but the individual reapers do not all that the catalyst knows. EDIT: I ignore the control ending in my head canon, since it basically undoes all the themes of the 3rd game. It basically means Illusive Man was right ... which seems super anticlimatic and antithematic. I mean Shepard just finished talking with him about how wrong he was before killing him.

Yes the catalyst knows all that the reapers know, but the individual reapers do not all that the catalyst knows. EDIT: I ignore the control ending in my head canon, since it basically undoes all the themes of the 3rd game. It basically means Illusive Man was right ... which seems super anticlimatic and antithematic. I mean Shepard just finished talking with him about how wrong he was before killing him.
Dang. This is an early candidate for necro of the year.

As far as I'm concerned, all of the coded endings in ME3 were nothing more than nightmares thrust upon the vision of the early creators of the series. None of them count. For anyone who was a fan of the Dexter series, you might remember the scandal that was the final season. Even Michael C. Hall, the actor who played Dexter, said that for him, the series ended with the final episode of season seven. Season eight was just a "what if" scenario. I've always felt that way about the ending of ME. It's all over and the good guys win when the super armada warps into earth. Exactly how that happened is lost in the foggy memory of future mythology.

Dang. This is an early candidate for necro of the year.
It came from another thread where we were veering off topic.

As far as I'm concerned, all of the coded endings in ME3 were nothing more than nightmares thrust upon the vision of the early creators of the series.
I dunno, I kinda like that in a game about having to make touch choices and sacrifices, at the end you have to sacrifice yourself.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

As far as I'm concerned, all of the coded endings in ME3 were nothing more than nightmares thrust upon the vision of the early creators of the series. None of them count.

Lol. Love that meme, also though ... the nerd in me is a little irked that the Hanar is saying "we." I feel like "This one has no idea." would make the joke play better.

Guest 3847602

Lol. Love that meme, also though ... the nerd in me is a little irked that the Hanar is saying "we." I feel like "This one has no idea." would make the joke play better.
Good catch. :) Although, maybe the Hanar is meant to refer to himself/herself and the other staff.

Just finished Anthem, great game. If Dragon Age is anything like this its gonna be awesome. I don't know if you guys knew but next Dragon Age is 3 year away.

Btw, the ending kinda hints that EA isnt going to get Game of Thrones deal, I wonder who gets Game of Thrones deal in game industry.

Just finished Anthem, great game. If Dragon Age is anything like this its gonna be awesome.

The gameplay of Anthem is super fun, indeed.

As for story and quest design I can only hope the next DA is going to be a lot better...

Top Bottom