Celebrities in Video games a Good Idea?

+
In 2077? She would be a granny by then...This serves no purpose.

Maybe, it could be cool if celebrities ran some clubs in night city though, maybe for sequel. Lady Gaga for debut is simply awesome job. Or then gather more fashion icons from real world for sequel.

You know, it would maybe get a chuckle from me but I don't care about Kanye and Gaga. Seeing them in the game wouldn't do much for me.

The problem I have with using celebrities is your familiarity with their personalities and voice crowds out the character they're supposed to portray, especially in a game. If she's supposed to be Lizzy, all I'll be seeing when I interact with her is Lady Gaga. It's great marketing though, I'll give them that.
Rockstar co-founder Dan Houser says the developer has moved away from using name actors in recent games, citing egos and player immersion.

Speaking to Vulture, Houser explained: "We don’t bring in name actors anymore because of their egos and, most important of all, because we believe we get a better sense of immersion using talented actors whose voices you don’t recognize.”

Houser specifically brings up his experience directing Burt Reynolds in GTA: Vice City, who apparently shouted "get the limey out of here" after an argument. Houser also had to ask another director to take over following disagreements with Public Enemy's Chuck D while making GTA: San Andreas.
In its recent games, Rockstar has tended to cast more well-known voices in smaller roles - Danny Tamberelli (The Adventures of Pete and Pete) as Jimmy de Santa in GTA 5, for example.

The interview points out that perhaps the most famous actor in Red Dead 2 is Graham Greene, who was Oscar nominated for his part in Dancing with Wolves. Houser calls Greene's work in the seemingly small role as "brilliant", saying that his Native American chief character is "losing his rights as an independent king, and he’s a gentle soul in that violent world."

Vulture's interview covers a lot more besides actors - not least the fact that Red Dead Redemption 2's campaign will apparently be 60 hours long, and that protagonist Arthur Morgan will have a love interest in that story.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...-why-rockstar-wont-hire-famous-actors-anymore

I dont honestly get it when people say this is great marketting, if it was why companies doesnt use celebrities? Gameplay, combat, lore, features, world, story, company, etc goes way before. I would use celebrities differently, but thats just me.
Because you are an "hardcore gamer" as the vast majority of people here, you know what videogames are about, you don't need ads to be convinced that a game is good and you want to play it. "casual gamers" are not like that, they barely know that CP2077 is a thing and if you tell them "lady gaga is in the game" they get super excited because she is famous, she has just won an oscar, she is an excellent pop music/culture entertainer (I don't like her but you can't deny numbers) => "cp2077 is so massive that it has such a famous person in-game. This is gonna be glorious, I want this game".
What was wrong with the progression system?

Like everything.

Geralt is an expert witcher, it makes no sense that he learns how to swing a sword or cast a sign in the alternative mode or to deflect arrows. Every witcher knows how to do it.
It makes no sense that he equips abilities, like he forgets how to do a charged heavy attack if it's not equipped in his mind.
Level-gated gear: he has a sword in his inventory which is level 7, but geralt is level 5 so he looks at it and can't use it? Really? Then why a random Velen long sword is way better than the legendary winter's blade from the an Crate family? Because of a level?
Higher level enemies looks the same as low level ones, same attacks, so that a level 35 random bandit destroys Geralt of Rivia, master witcher, butcher of blavikhen, who has defeated the army of the wild hunt and saved the world, because geralt is level 29. Geralt uses his superhuman skills, signs, potions, several hits with his witcher's steel sword and barely damage the bandit from skellige, which at the end manages to hit geralt twice with his axe, and put an end on his legendary story. Where was that bandit when the world was in need? He could have detroyed the wild hunt easily and saved the world. Many people have died because of his absence.

And no, it's not about being an RPG, we have several RPGs where these issues are addressed in better ways. This is poor design for a game that is not about a random peasant becoming stronger.

Because you are an "hardcore gamer" as the vast majority of people here, you know what videogames are about, you don't need ads to be convinced that a game is good and you want to play it. "casual gamers" are not like that, they barely know that CP2077 is a thing and if you tell them "lady gaga is in the game" they get super excited because she is famous, she has just won an oscar, she is an excellent pop music/culture entertainer (I don't like her but you can't deny numbers) => "cp2077 is so massive that it has such a famous person in-game. This is gonna be glorious, I want this game".

Right, well I just wouldnt want to use celebrities as spear head for marketting, they could do like start with celebrities non-sense then reveal what gamers really want to see like combat, gameplay, lore etc. Or then keep them hidden, and players should start talk about them when they find in the game. Yeah, celebrities could be used to create pre-hype before real game reveals.

I don't really have an opinion on the rumor of Lady Gaga's involvement, but I would like David Hasselhoff as a bartender, ya know. Just being able to quip with The Hoff's character in some silly conversation. I've enjoyed those moments with celebrities appearing in games since GTA Vice City to Fallout 4 despite being a novelty.

However, brand and company's name are what critically sells a game. I , as a company, would I need Simon Pegg to sell FIFA 20( insert year )? Fuck no. What the consumer, these days, want to know is the name of the developer just to be interested. If Rockstar decided to develop a racing game (or bring Midnight Club) people will almost immediately be interested in it because of their brand recognition. You don't need to Obama to be in it, but it wouldn't hurt too. Yeah, pretty much. If we look at The Outer Worlds game's presentation its shows some familiar video game concepts dealing with RPG elements, same ol dialogue mechanics, big monsters, and very big laser guns. Kinda hard to sell in a market where there are a ton of games like this, but because it's being developed by Obsidian Entertainment ( Fallout: New Vegas, South Park, etc) it wouldn't take much to draw interest for them. Unless, this is their very first game, so they'll probably have to call Simon Pegg.

Personally, any game mechanic is more important than any possible lady gaga's cameo.

You don't actually know how much the cameo will cost, so I don't think you can claim that it isn't worth it. Hypothetically: what if she would do it for free? Would that still not be worth it? Its not going to be a frigging movie, there are limits to how much you can ask for a couple minutes worth of work.

Voice acting in a computer game is super easy job for actors, because you don't have to worry about your appearance, and you don't have to worry about timetables since you can do it whenever, etc. I don't think the price tag would be that big.

If Gaga is going to make original music for CP2077, that would be even better.. Unlike many other pop stars of modern day, Lady Gaga is actually talented.

Kate Beckinsale voiced empress Ayrenn of the Aldmeri dominion in Elder scrolls online. I wouldn't have bought the game because of her, but I'm sure her appearance made the game better as a whole. Why are people so opposed to celebrities making appearances? Elder scrolls online featured Hollywood actors in addition to Beckinsale: John Cleese, Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon, Alfred Molina, Malcolm McDowell and Peter Stormare. If they can hire that many big names, why can't CDPR?

I don't really have an opinion on the rumor of Lady Gaga's involvement, but I would like David Hasselhoff as a bartender, ya know. Just being able to quip with The Hoff's character in some silly conversation. I've enjoyed those moments with celebrities appearing in games since GTA Vice City to Fallout 4 despite being a novelty.

A great idea :) I think the Hoff would welcome the opportunity. Any publicity is good publicity. Besides, the man is 66. Its not like he has many other acting opportunities beyond theatre.

Last edited:
You don't actually know how much the cameo will cost, so I don't think you can claim that it isn't worth it. Hypothetically: what if she would do it for free? Would that still not be worth it? Its not going to be a frigging movie, there are limits to how much you can ask for a couple minutes worth of work.

I doubt an image, a brand like Lady Gaga with tens if not hundreds of millions of followers is going to associate with a project which is in all intents and purposes a business, for free. Nope.

As morally upstanding as CDP is as a company in its treatment of its consumers, its not running a charity, its all for profit. And as much as she might want to participate free of charge (I seriously doubt it since it would be a pretty one sided deal), the business people associated with her would be very much against it IMO.

Potentially dumb question, but would her involvement actually be so expensive? The automatic assumption is that they'd be sinking all these resources into it. But if she's legitimately into the idea, she knows this isn't the largest developer in the world that can just throw celebrities into COD campaigns. If it's not a huge spend I don't see why not.

Generally speaking, I'd say tacking celebrities on to your shallow game is cheap. But a collab between a game with substance and a celebrity who's interested can be a good time.

Potentially dumb question, but would her involvement actually be so expensive? The automatic assumption is that they'd be sinking all these resources into it. But if she's legitimately into the idea, she knows this isn't the largest developer in the world that can just throw celebrities into COD campaigns. If it's not a huge spend I don't see why not.

Generally speaking, I'd say tacking celebrities on to your shallow game is cheap. But a collab between a game with substance and a celebrity who's interested can be a good time.

I think the cost isn't so much dependant on the venue in which the artist appears, more on the artist's "fame" so to speak.

Like if you want me to be involved this is the minimum required, and from there it goes off into the details like time, performance and so on.

It's one of the reasons you don't see big artist names going to lesser known clubs for example. Or how live shows organised by the city authorities are very much dependent on a lot of factors like potential turnover and attendance etc even if the artist might be inclined to "visit" and has a fondness for the place.. Sure a lesser known artist or band would probably jump at any opportunity for exposure, but when you're a giant like Gaga? Time is SERIOUS money

Last edited:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...-why-rockstar-wont-hire-famous-actors-anymore

Like everything.

Geralt is an expert witcher, it makes no sense that he learns how to swing a sword or cast a sign in the alternative mode or to deflect arrows. Every witcher knows how to do it.
It makes no sense that he equips abilities, like he forgets how to do a charged heavy attack if it's not equipped in his mind.
Level-gated gear: he has a sword in his inventory which is level 7, but geralt is level 5 so he looks at it and can't use it? Really? Then why a random Velen long sword is way better than the legendary winter's blade from the an Crate family? Because of a level?
Higher level enemies looks the same as low level ones, same attacks, so that a level 35 random bandit destroys Geralt of Rivia, master witcher, butcher of blavikhen, who has defeated the army of the wild hunt and saved the world, because geralt is level 29. Geralt uses his superhuman skills, signs, potions, several hits with his witcher's steel sword and barely damage the bandit from skellige, which at the end manages to hit geralt twice with his axe, and put an end on his legendary story. Where was that bandit when the world was in need? He could have detroyed the wild hunt easily and saved the world. Many people have died because of his absence.

And no, it's not about being an RPG, we have several RPGs where these issues are addressed in better ways. This is poor design for a game that is not about a random peasant becoming stronger.

The progression system was perfectly fine...
Post automatically merged:

Maybe, it could be cool if celebrities ran some clubs in night city though, maybe for sequel. Lady Gaga for debut is simply awesome job. Or then gather more fashion icons from real world for sequel.

If anything, i think she might do voice acting like Charles Dance did in Witcher 3.
Post automatically merged:

I think what was meant there was the character Gaga may end up contributing to. It seems unlikely that she would be cast as herself in 2077.

Yeah i hope shes just doing voice acting. Tho i hope they dont pull a Advanced Warfare and put her likeness into the game.

CD Projekt Red doesn't need Lady Gaga to promote marketing. If people find out that these guys made the Witcher, they will be throwing money at them.

I see no point in adding a real life celebrity in the game or using them to promote the game when they could easily just have created a fictional celebrity and saved a lot of money.

CD Projekt Red doesn't need Lady Gaga to promote marketing. If people find out that these guys made the Witcher, they will be throwing money at them.

I see no point in adding a real life celebrity in the game or using them to promote the game when they could easily just have created a fictional celebrity and saved a lot of money.
How about letting CDPR do the casting and enjoy the results?

I think the cost isn't so much dependant on the avenue in which the artist appears, more on the artist's "fame" so to speak.

Like if you want me to be involved this is the minimum required, and from there it goes off into the details like time, performance and so on.

It's one of the reasons you don't see big artist names going to lesser known clubs for example. Or how live shows organised by the city authorities are very much dependent on a lot of factors like potential turnover and attendance etc even if the artist might be inclined to "visit" and has a fondness for the place.. Sure a lesser known artist or band would probably jump at any opportunity for exposure, but when you're a giant like Gaga? Time is SERIOUS money

For sure. And if she's seeking a high price, there are about a million things I'd rather see in the finished 2077. If she for whatever reason isn't calling for bigtime money, and lends some small degree of her likeness/voice to a wacky sidequest, I'd be interested to see the result. It's just cool to see any A-lister backing a (relatively) niche title. And CDPR would have some fun with the opportunity.

Just don't go dipping into the game's savings account if that's what it takes.

For sure. And if she's seeking a high price, there are about a million things I'd rather see in the finished 2077. If she for whatever reason isn't calling for bigtime money, and lends some small degree of her likeness/voice to a wacky sidequest, I'd be interested to see the result. It's just cool to see any A-lister backing a (relatively) niche title. And CDPR would have some fun with the opportunity.

Just don't go dipping into the game's savings account if that's what it takes.
Cyberpunk 2077 isnt niche at all. Everyone and their cat wants to play it and people already want to build PCs for it even tho we dont even have specs yet.

Top Bottom