Matchmaking still flawed?

+
You guys just seem to be new to card games...there are way too many examples of times where I encountered an opponent who seemed to have perfect answers for my cards, or streaks of getting matched against people who counter me pretty well. I actually wonder, if the match making is designed this way, then your deck should be the one on the other end, you know countering other people decks. I wonder if you also get upset about the match making when you are the one doing the countering. Somehow I doubt it...

OK, so as the creator of this thread, and the one who gave it its title, i feel i need to clarify a few things:

When i chose the term 'rigged' i wasn't thinking it would originate such debate, otherwise i would have picked my words more carefully.

What i meant, was to criticize the algorhytm used by CDPR for casual matchmaking, i didnt intend to accuse them of WILLINGLY skewing the odds to one type of players or another. Hopefully, this will clear some things here.

You guys just seem to be new to card games...there are way too many examples of times where I encountered an opponent who seemed to have perfect answers for my cards, or streaks of getting matched against people who counter me pretty well. I actually wonder, if the match making is designed this way, then your deck should be the one on the other end, you know countering other people decks. I wonder if you also get upset about the match making when you are the one doing the countering. Somehow I doubt it...

Doesn't make it right, though, mate.

I have seen examples where I have the perfect answer. Like when I run Regis, for example, and the opponent has a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 str card in a row. Nothing works better than Regis right then, and I have it.

Then I've had other examples trying to run DD and Nivellen, match after match never getting both at the same time, or having to throw it down R1.

I think on some level it's possibly important to balance the matches, but mainly I think it should just be "to hell with it, you play whoever's available based on MMR".

The day I finally get to play a deck that has the perfect answer to my opponent's deck I will be sure to let you know.

Guest 4334474

OK, so as the creator of this thread, and the one who gave it its title, i feel i need to clarify a few things:

When i chose the term 'rigged' i wasn't thinking it would originate such debate, otherwise i would have picked my words more carefully.

What i meant, was to criticize the algorhytm used by CDPR for casual matchmaking, i didnt intend to accuse them of WILLINGLY skewing the odds to one type of players or another. Hopefully, this will clear some things here.

Your thread is from last November... did this get necro'd or is this still a concern? I don't feel like matchmaking is much of an issue TBH unless you are new to the game.

Seriously what the hell is this? It's like the game wants me to quit playing. I'm tired of trying to make a deck and then running against decks that counter what I just made. It's so stupid.

You finally figured it out. Yes, the game hates you and wants to break up with you. :)

What kind of deck are you playing for this not to happen (ever)?

I've had decks where I could remove cards, etc. but never that perfect counter (e.g. they boost a card massively and I have the drain, swap power, etc. etc.). I've had those cards in my decks, but never played against someone they were useful as the perfect counter because they didn't boast, etc. I've been netdecking lately (I know, people hate it) but tired of loosing.

This is my point, even netdecking, and my curse hits strong and I get countered so many games in a row I can't get the upper hand.

When I played closed beta, open beta, etc. Sure, I had some insanely powerful decks that wrecked opponents time and again, but in homecoming, nope. I've won, I've had great decks that could win matches, but not the perfect counter decks, I just steamrolled ahead, they could still do their deck with me not countering them, I just ended up with more points. That is not a counter deck, that is just me playing my cards and ignoring what they do and letting them do it because my deck ended with more points. I had a deck once that came close, lots of locks, removal, etc. but it never was the perfect counter. Close, sure. Rare, most definitely.

Game's a freaking abomination on matchups and the deal. It's an effing disgrace. I'm just lurching from game to game, losing, losing, losing, watching relentless Gold synergy appear from my oppo's hand whilst staring aghast at me mis-matched bronze filler.

I mean, last game oppo went for it R2 with me having CA and ended up playing Skaggs, Willem produced the perfect card, then a dryad, then Milena, all of which just removed, removed, removed before then boosting all three with that fcking Boost a Dryad, Elf and Dwarf card. You could not make it up, and that's not even taking into account the relentless removal and golds from R1.

You could not write a program to have hands as perfect as the shit I have to play against. WTF is going on CDPR???? Utter bollock of a game sometimes.

Follows this up with a game against a NR deck. The pass R1 with a Tridam that's got a shield and vitalty. I have ZERO damage cards apart from a Hound. Had a pathetic deal, got 2 x Wild Rider and 2 x Foglet in my opening hand, so at the mercy of (subsequently shit) mulligans. I'm ONLY 6 points behind, ok, so it's not a point in time where I would feel the opponent is going to throw away CA. HOWEVER I would have had to play two finisher cards just to win the round.

Now played Detlaff four times in a row,. I could keep playing, but what's the point? Went for an Avallach/Yen combo to compensate for my now impotent Eredin, only natural oppo plays Aguara to stop Avallach. Just quit, fed up. The thing is CDPR have nerfed all these cards that I spent scraps getting and now they're worthless, they don't give back scrap value so whilst I'm playing everyone else's vampire decks, with every, single card they need (Caranthir, Cayran, Detlaff - Higher Vampire, etc.), I'm trying to work out how my now-broken Eredin, Patricide and Bran decks are supposed to work.

LAST ONE: so this is the best so far. Playing season match with a Monster deathwish line-up; R1 the Oppo must have about 14 units on the board, I've got about 5, 4 of which are deathwish (egg, troll, rotfiend). I play the incantation and I absolutely shit you not my two Rotfiends BOTH hit HIS Rotfiends!!!! So I pass, then we're in R3 and I've got 2 Imlerith's and 2 manticores; he plays an archespore, then randomly another archespore. He then plays a griffin which randomly plays another griffin and again I absolutely shit you not, both griffins destroy the archespores and BOTH ARCHESPORES DAMAGE THE IMLERITHS!!!!!!! One play later and he has TWO Caldwell's on the board, right. So wait for it....Just when you think it cannot get any more suspicious, I play a Brewess to eat the two manticores and gain dominance, damaging the Caldwells with my pair of Imleriths, but the oppo then plays a gold, "randomly" pulling a Brewess which eats both Caldwells AND gives dominance!!!!!!!! Classic.

Last edited:
Your thread is from last November... did this get necro'd or is this still a concern? I don't feel like matchmaking is much of an issue TBH unless you are new to the game.

I think this thread died down a few times, but got necro'ed a few times when users created posts with similar themes and the mods merged them with this one. I only participated in the beginning, and since the discussion got out of (my) hand, i wanted to clarify my statement, so others can come here to discuss their own take on the subject.

The irony is all the other threads i created and wanted to keep going, with constructive discussions never got nowhere near this far as this thread...

I'm just lurching from game to game, losing, losing, losing, watching relentless Gold synergy appear from my oppo's hand whilst staring aghast at me mis-matched bronze filler.

Well that's strange. Because the game seems to match us with easier opponents after a losing streak to "give" us some wins.

The thing is CDPR have nerfed all these cards that I spent scraps getting and now they're worthless, they don't give back scrap value so whilst I'm playing everyone else's vampire decks, with every, single card they need (Caranthir, Cayran, Detlaff - Higher Vampire, etc.), I'm trying to work out how my now-broken Eredin, Patricide and Bran decks are supposed to work.

Maybe spend some money on the game like the rest of us non-beta players who aren't swimming in scrap?

Thanks for the input guys, but far, far too many times I'm just very "wuh-tuh-fuh" about the game. Last one I played last night, I had a very balanced SK deck, combining Anjolf's Bloodthirst with some of the berserk units from CC. Typically I faced NG and their multi-locks, but what took the absolute piss was when Avallach miraculously stayed on the board, I put immunity on Artis and I absolutely swear to you the opponent played Aguara - True Form, created Treason, targetted Avallach which was in the middle of my cards and wiped out my immune Artis!!!!!!!!!!

Even if I'd put Artis in the middle, the opponent would have still wiped it out. How the flaming cheeseburger can someone not only have that card (Aguara), but play that card and 'randomly' get the ONLY CARD THAT COULD WIPE OUT MY IMMUNE UNIT is beyond any level of fairness or comprehension.

I used to be excited to play Gwent. Now it's more a sigh and resignation that I'm going to play a few times, though I barely make it to 4 or 5 matches before quitting and have little/no desire to return that same day. The removal/locks are absolutely utterly out of control. Tiny provision cards seem capable of the most disruptive plays, particularly NG, and it's just an awful, awful experience. CDPR needs to go right back to the drawing board and literally make sure anything bronze just cannot completely crap on a strategy or tempo.

Oh, and for the love of all that's holy and sacred in this world, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE GODDAM MATCHMAKING ALGORITHM BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!
Post automatically merged:

Well that's strange. Because the game seems to match us with easier opponents after a losing streak to "give" us some wins.

Maybe spend some money on the game like the rest of us non-beta players who aren't swimming in scrap?

Yes, I get a couple of those. Hollow though.

As for scraps, I deleted my account in December so have no scraps. That was kind of my point - I cannot create these wonder-decks filled with every card needed I seem to come across every match.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
I absolutely swear to you the opponent played Aguara - True Form, created Treason, targetted Avallach which was in the middle of my spɹɐɔ and wiped out my immune Artis!!!!!!!!!!

Even if I'd put Artis in the middle, the opponent would have still wiped it out. How the flaming cheeseburger can someone not only have that pɹɐɔ (Aguara), but play that pɹɐɔ and 'randomly' get the ONLY pɹɐɔ THAT COULD WIPE OUT MY IMMUNE UNIT is beyond any level of fairness or comprehension.

I used to be excited to play Gwent. Now it's more a sigh and resignation that I'm going to play a few times, though I barely make it to 4 or 5 matches before quitting and have little/no desire to return that same day. The removal/locks are absolutely utterly out of control. Tiny provision spɹɐɔ seem capable of the most disruptive plays, particularly NG, and it's just an awful, awful experience. CDPR needs to go right back to the drawing board and literally make sure anything bronze just cannot completely crap on a strategy or tempo.
needed I seem to come across every match.
Dear Nedders, NG usually run Treason and if you played against Ardal, it is nearly an auto-include card. I can almost be sure that the Agura->Treason is a paranoia, in fact it could very well have been just Treason. I have hardly seen Agura:True Form played and by NG, it seems impossible. I am not saying you are lying, but may be you are so pissed off from the game that you assume the worst possible bad luck happened to you.

Your stories are so incredible that it is beyond comprehension. As 4RM3D has asked before, next time, please share a screenshots, like Match History or Board state (or in this case Board/GY).

I kind of feel that you take loses in the games very personally and every time you lose couple of games you come here to burst it out for cooling down.

Please know that not everyone uses NetDecks. So, you are bound to see some match-ups in which you will face an odd card. If you face me, I might do something like Fauve->Call of Forest->Matreon and that engine may win me a game. So, it will be ridiculous if someone posts saying "who would do Fauve->CallOfForest? It is a bot playing against me."

Please know that I don't mean any disrespect. All I am saying is, don't always assume the worst thing for a couple of loses and please comeback with screenshots next time. Then people can relate to your badluck.

Guest 4339135

After some days with the new expansion I have to say that nothing has changed. To me was advised that I should wait what happens after CC and now I have played one game after another and everything in this game goes wrong again. My endless series of lost coin flipps, the way I draw constantly bad and my opponents can do what they want, they will get what they need. Since a long time, that what happens in this game is not acceptable any more and now it's time for consequences. All of my assertions in this forum before were ignored and nothing has changed. So I ask you where I have the possibility to find somebody who can help me with this, or if there is something planned to end this injustice? Otherwise I have to take action.

Just make a good deck....and start winning.

Forums look strange today (no emojis, some words are shown upside down)

Just make a good deck....and start winning.

Forums look strange today (no emojis, some words are shown upside down)
It's not about ''make a good deck'' , it's about mechanics that are too imbalanced or just bad designed.
Control / Removal is too much again and again - you put point and do damage , nothing new and nothing special.

My endless series of lost coin flipps, the way I draw constantly bad and my opponents can do what they want, they will get what they need. Since a long time, that what happens in this game is not acceptable any more and now it's time for consequences. All of my assertions in this forum before were ignored and nothing has changed.

You should talk to nedders. Speaking of which, this post is, once again, the same thing. You two are the unluckiest players alive. What else is there to say? Plenty of players do not have this issue. As to why you are singled out is one of the great mysteries of the universe. *waves the magical merging wand*

I am experiencing some weird/suspicious stuff, but of course I have no statistics. Like often immediately getting the second copy of the bronze card that you're mulliganing. Cards that you mulligan in R1 and R2 showing up again in the draws for R2 and R3, while other cards seem glued to the bottom of the deck. And "random" hits on the board not being random at all, but in fact hitting against all odds. Some examples from my last two games:
1) I have 7 cards on the board and the opponent's three skulls (from Harald Houndsnout) get destroyed. All skull hits go on to my Yennefer: Conjurer, killing her. That's 1/7 x 1/7 x 1/7 chance = 0.29%
2) Opponent has two cards of 6 strength on board. One is a locked Seltkirk, the other is a 6 point Botchling. I use my leader Harald to damage them and need to hit the Botchling three times to be able to remove him with a card. Guess what, the first 6 hits of Harald go on Seltkirk. That's 0.5^6 chance = 1.6%. Botchling lives.

This is not random and I see this kind of stuff happening quite a lot. I appreciate and applaud removing RNG, but not in this way!

Edit, add for today :-/ : Geralt and Eskel sitting in a tree...

Dear Nedders, NG usually run Treason and if you played against Ardal, it is nearly an auto-include pɹɐɔ. I can almost be sure that the Agura->Treason is a paranoia, in fact it could very well have been just Treason. I have hardly seen Agura:True Form played and by NG, it seems impossible. I am not saying you are lying, but may be you are so pissed off from the game that you assume the worst possible bad luck happened to you.

Your stories are so incredible that it is beyond comprehension. As 4RM3D has asked before, next time, please share a screenshots, like Match History or Board state (or in this case Board/GY).

I kind of feel that you take loses in the games very personally and every time you lose couple of games you come here to burst it out for cooling down.

Please know that not everyone uses NetDecks. So, you are bound to see some match-ups in which you will face an odd pɹɐɔ. If you face me, I might do something like Fauve->Call of Forest->Matreon and that engine may win me a game. So, it will be ridiculous if someone posts saying "who would do Fauve->CallOfForest? It is a bot playing against me."

Please know that I don't mean any disrespect. All I am saying is, don't always assume the worst thing for a couple of loses and please comeback with screenshots next time. Then people can relate to your badluck.

Dude, I'm not going to screenshot at that exact moment in time, though I'll try to keep it in mind. I guarantee it was Aguara True Form followed by Treason to kill my immune Artis (and a locked Queensguard). Thank you for accepting that these tales are beyond comprehension! I honestly have a real lack of faith in the game as a result. I don't mind facing an odd card - in fact, I welcome it warmly - but I get a bit peeved when it makes no sense, wipes out any kind of plan I might have and happens at precisely, exactly the 'right' moment!!

It's slightly personal, yes, because it feels like I'm being cheated. Weird matchmaking, impossibly good cards for the opponent and it's more about losing 5-6 games, and losing badly as per the above. I'm just sharing experience to show people who suffer the same that it is a 'thing' and it happens a lot.

Top Bottom