Initial Thoughts on New Nilfgaard Cards

+
Assimilate is a very cool idea, sometimes it works wonders. I know I trashed almost every new NG card that was revealed, but most of the new Assimilate cards work well with one another. I have found some weird interactions which I'll talk about later. It's early for a list but here it goes:

Anna Henrietta:

The moment she was revealed, I thought she'd be complete trash. Actually she isn't; she is trash only sometimes because it really depends on your opponent's hand. Since Assimilate triggers whenever you play something that isn't in your deck, her ability could be changed to something like, "Spawn a Doomed Nilfgaardian card that is in your hand." This would still trigger Assimilate because Spawned or Created cards are different than cards in your starting deck, even if it's the same card.

Weird Interactions:

- As I just mentioned, Assimilate is kind of wonky. For example, a card like Slave Hunter does not trigger Assimilate, so I'm guessing Ardal nor Vattier do. Tourney Shaelmaar does not count spies on your side of the board, like Vernon Roche, even though they're technically under your control. Rot Tosser triggers Assimilate, this is weird to me, but I guess I understand why. Spawning or Creating cards that are already in your deck trigger Assimilate. I think this new mechanic could use some clearing up, that's all but I am liking it so far.

Abilities:

- Imperial Diviner has an ability that makes you want to save it for later, which is fine, but the card is also an engine. You usually play bronze engines at the beginning to get the most value. To fix this card, I suggest giving her, "(Ranged) Give Vitality to the next Allied unit that is played for 2 turns." While keeping the other ability for Melee.

- Fangs of the Empire has a very weak ability. Thematically it's perfect but I feel like it could use a boost somehow. Maybe like, "If you have an Agent in hand, boost this unit by 2."

That's kind of it actually, I was too harsh on the new cards for sure. Even though I'm still not impressed, I definitely think these new cards could use some fine-tuning and fleshing out. Then again, NG could use some fleshing out in general. What do you y'all think about NG so far?

OH btw, I am genuinely enjoying most of what I've seen so far. The game feels fresh again. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom