S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

+
"Hope is the last thing to die", my Russian friend Artyom is fond of saying. And so it is true in this case - my hope is not yet dead!

GSC updated their webpage for STALKER 2! And their facebook! And they are tweeting. Very exciting!

We know next to nothing about the game so far, but it is one of my very favourite games ever. If you've never played one of them, I urge you to try it out. Fun, exciting, creepy, immersive. Really one of a kind.

https://www.stalker2.com/ is the website

https://www.facebook.com/officialstalker/ Facebook

https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame Twitter.

Hopefully they don’t steer too far from the original. It’s still the best in the series.

Best atmosphere of any game I’ve played, the gunplay felt appropriately rough (accuracy wasn’t pinpoint), the scenery was good and the plain, washed out colourscheme played excellently with the atmosphere, the wildlife had nice AI, and the story with its twist and endings felt worth following even when (or because of?) it was a bit low key.

The whole game felt rough on the edges in a good way.

It could’ve used a few additions here and there, but nothing spectacular.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Loved the first one!

Have high hopes for the sequel!

I think 2022 a realistic year for S. T. A. L. K. E. R. 2?

Best atmosphere of any game I’ve played, the gunplay felt appropriately rough (accuracy wasn’t pinpoint), the scenery was good and the plain, washed out colourscheme played excellently with the atmosphere, the wildlife had nice AI, and the story with its twist and endings felt worth following even when (or because of?) it was a bit low key.

I played through the first one a few times. Have to admit, it was a lot of fun. I did not like the gunplay very much for the first 1/3rd of the game though. Eventually, a tweak was found that made things much more logical and even more intense. But the ambiance of the game was really something else.

The only cons (aside from the rather rdiculous gunplay mechanics) were the far-too-spongy "monsters", the crazy-fast degradation of gear, and the AI being really cheap at times (just instantly knowing where you were). And the bugs. Oh...the bugs. A nearly Bethesda-level of bugs. I hope they tighten it up for #2. It's such a cool concept.

the rather rdiculous gunplay mechanics

I loved the gun mechanics. I sweared a lot at times for not hitting things, but ultimately the experience was better for it. It would've been worse with a perfectly honed and totally edgeless gunplay. The spread values made scopes and mods all the more important. That and the degradation mechanisms played excellently towards the overall feel of the game (of being just a nobody among nobodies, a person who's not a trained supersoldier, almost like playing a character in an RPG... almost), I never felt like I could just start carelessly popping heads (at least not until late game and the better guns and armor).

The bulletsponginess, I'll grant, was tedious at times. But the game was a shooter, so I tolerated it (just like I did with Serious Sam).

I've been rather lucky when it comes to bugs in games. I've rarely run into anything gamebreaking or outright intolerable (except a couple of times with VtMB, that I can remember offhand), not even with Bethesda games.

I loved the gun mechanics. I sweared a lot at times for not hitting things, but ultimately the experience was better for it. It would've been worse with a perfectly honed and totally edgeless gunplay. The spread values made scopes and mods all the more important. That and the degradation mechanisms played excellently towards the overall feel of the game (of being just a nobody among nobodies, a person who's not a trained supersoldier, almost like playing a character in an RPG... almost), I never felt like I could just start carelessly popping heads (at least not until late game and the better guns and armor).

The bulletsponginess, I'll grant, was tedious at times. But the game was a shooter, so I tolerated it (just like I did with Serious Sam).

I've been rather lucky when it comes to bugs in games. I've rarely run into anything gamebreaking or outright intolerable (except a couple of times with VtMB, that I can remember offhand), not even with Bethesda games.

I didn't hate it, but I got sick and tired of having to reload saves ad-nauseum because my shots would seemingly miss even at point-blank range, but some AI would headshot me with a shotgun from 50 meters away. After digging enough, the tweak I found explained that the devs actually programmed about 20% of your fired shots to "not exist". As in, there was no bullet. It would consume ammo -- but it would never actually fire anything at the enemies. Additionally, every gun had a range at which projectiles ceased to exist. Even sniper rifles.

So, it's not only the silly amount of bullet-spread to contend with, but every 5th bullet didn't actually count, and they would all simply disappear out of the game if you exceeded their magical range...but not for the AI. Things did become much better a ways in with more advanced weapons, but I did not like the totally random results at times, even when there should have been 0% chance for error. I don't like it when games trifle with the player to create the illusion of difficulty.

The mod, however, tightened up each gun's range, scatter pattern, and power to models based on the actual firearms. Only, it did this for both the player and the AI. Now...fights were far more deadly and very satisfying. It wasn't about rolling dice while you mashed the fire button, it was more like ArmA. It certainly wasn't like CoD or anything. Efficient movement and LoS became the key, and you won or lost by skill alone. NPCs dropped like flies, though, so I wound up returning damage values to game defaults.

A few words from the Boss, Sergiy Grygorovych:
We really feel it, thank you!

"I told you about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.2 a year ago.
At the beginning of development, I decided it must be either a cultural phenomenon or nothing. Now I can say that I like it.
And we won't talk a lot this time, we make. The team feels your support, thank you all!"

s2.png

I remember this series, it was definitely ahead of its time, but now game industry is flooded with open world games-

Guest 4211861

They should place it in Switzerland, at Beznau, no need to re-do Cernobil, there are other old, very dangerous NPPs.

Top Bottom