Any though about the new Emhyr ability?

+
Hello, as a big fan of the NG faction, I try to having a working deck with all of their leaders.

However I'm a bit struck with Emhyr (previously played him with Shupe and the relicts).

It seems that there is not enough cards of the NG faction to make his ability really usefull.

I've tried with:

-Vilgefortz: Highly random, destroy two enemy units and make him draw two new ones sometimes made me lose points (even if i've managed to put infiltrators in the enemy deck). Destroying own weak units seems better but is very unreliable. Especially cause units are summoned (so don't use deploy abilities)

-Leo Bonhart: May be usefull against some deck (monsters), but may also be a brick

-Vivienne: So far the best result that i've had in terms of rough points, but you need to have several weak/high provision (leo, roach, shilard) alive on the board, so quite unreliable.

-Cynthia: lose R1, and put 2 guardians in the enemy deck if he drypass round 2. Quite fun but not really playable.

-Serrit/Auckles/letho: Meh, don't worth it.

-Menno cohenorn: My second best in term of raw points (Horn+Garrnison -> 20 points move) However you need to have 5 units on a row for that, making you weak in short R3, and vulnerable to row effects.

Didn't tried yet:

Xartharius to reveal Tibor (+13 points two times). Works in theory but you need to have 1 card left in the deck, so maybe in a handmill deck.
Shliard: Reduce two biggest enemies to Str 1 in he opponent hand, to have plenty of possibilities for the new toussaint knights. May be unreliable against engines deck that have low base str.
Sweers: In a reveal based Emyr. Sounds weird.
Vrygheff or Vreemde: In slave infantery based deck. My next try probably.

So, how do you play your Emhyr?

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, they are going to rework the reveal, because it never sees any play while being RNG dependent, which an archetype cannot be based upon. So its 10 cards at max. Including golds: xarthisius, yen, Tris, golem, vigo.

Well, NG is rather playable for the moment, it's just some archetypes that need a rework (reveal, tactics, spy). I see a lot of Ursupers and Henriettas at high ranks.

I absolutely love Emhyr as a leader but there's only a handful of cards you can really use him with. He was actually much better when he allowed you to replay Neutral cards, but that was deemed OP so.... Anyway, to get the most out of Emhyr, I use him with Vreemde and Slave Infantry. The combo is absurdly strong. Unfortunately, it his sometimes hard to pull off given all the removal cards that people are using.

I can honestly say that there is not one card that works all the time with Emhyr. Not even with the newest expansion. Every powerful play with Emhyr needs set-up, is too conditional or is rather weak. For example, Leo will sometimes brick against decks with small units. Vreemde needs at least two copies of one soldier card to get good value. Replaying a card like Xarthisius does not work because the unit resets itself upon re-entering your hand. On paper, Vilgefortz is very strong, but you hardly ever see anyone play him because of the cost and randomness of his ability. Sometimes he also doesn't have a good target. Hell, replaying Fangs of the Empire is somewhat stronger than Vilgefortz since they won't summon a card from their deck.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Emhyr should get his ability reworked. Alternately, CDPR could also add cards that are actually reliable and non-conditional for Emhyr to use. Pretty much every other leader in the game has an ability that works 100% of the time, so I guess I'd like Emhyr to have a good ability as well.

Poison stuff seems to work the best synergy with Emhyr bouncing NG exclusive units

Yes, definitely. I tried it out myself but I do wish there was more support for it. I made a thread about it last week I think. Talking about how Poison could be an NG archetype in the future. Hopefully they do go in that direction, it would fit them perfectly.

Yup, I've tried a poison deck with fangs, the poison bomb and rot tossers too, but it was more a fun deck for non ranked play. Just not enought cards to make it a viable archetype so far (same problem for SC)

I absolutely love Emhyr as a leader but there's only a handful of cards you can really use him with. He was actually much better when he allowed you to replay Neutral cards, but that was deemed OP so....

I've tried Emhyr a few times. When I finally decided to give him a real go after playing NG for awhile, I decided I would build a Witcher deck around him. To my disappointment, I could not use his ability with Vesemir mentor as I thought I could, and I had probably seen others do before.

For me, this move was my "chosen" Emhyr move that I would use, it was my "chosen card". How disappointing. I looked through all the cards again to see if there was some other (only NG) card that I could use for Emhyr to best use his ability, just to realize there wasn't. So I gave the whole thing up and dropped him as an undesireable leader. Perhaps the problem is that there aren't really many great Nilfgaard cards?

Not sure. My definite end impression is that Emhyr is not a good leader, after the change. This is a bit weird, since he is "THE" leader in Witcher 3. He is suppose to be one of or the most powerful leaders, alongside Eredin and Radovid (where is he btw??). I have only played Witcher 3, so I can't say about leaders from the previous games.

I've tried Emhyr a few times. When I finally decided to give him a real go after playing NG for awhile, I decided I would build a Witcher deck around him. To my disappointment, I could not use his ability with Vesemir mentor as I thought I could, and I had probably seen others do before.

For me, this move was my "chosen" Emhyr move that I would use, it was my "chosen card". How disappointing. I looked through all the cards again to see if there was some other (only NG) card that I could use for Emhyr to best use his ability, just to realize there wasn't. So I gave the whole thing up and dropped him as an undesireable leader. Perhaps the problem is that there aren't really many great Nilfgaard cards?

Not sure. My definite end impression is that Emhyr is not a good leader, after the change. This is a bit weird, since he is "THE" leader in Witcher 3. He is suppose to be one of or the most powerful leaders, alongside Eredin and Radovid (where is he btw??). I have only played Witcher 3, so I can't say about leaders from the previous games.

Yeaaah, as i mentioned, he really doesn't work with one Nilfgaard card 100% of the the time. I feel like he could be a good leader especially with those new poison cards they added with the expansion. I have noticed that his ability is pretty much the reason I win with him though. Replaying something twice is really strong but you always need a good setup. This is why they changed him, since pretty much every high provision cost neutral card would be broken with Emhyr.

If CDPR is really reworking NG then I hope they have a look at Emhyr. Giving him synergy cards would be a good thing. He's one of my favorite characters in all of the Witcher. He's the reason why I love Nilfgaard so much. I wouldn't say NG cards suck in general but I have noticed that they need better proactive plays. I could go on and on but NG is definitely lacking something.

As for Radovid, I get a feeling he'll be the next leader NR they'll add. Fingers-crossed.

How about if Emhyr also could replay Witchers? That would be a decent compromise?
I mean, it would fit the lore, as in many ways, many Witchers were/are part of Nilfgaard. Maybe some mages as well?

I'm pretty sure I saw the move with Emhyr and Vesemir Mentor by another player who played against me (before the change). It did feel powerful, but not overpowered. Neither would Kingslayer, letho, Auckles, Serrit, Viper etc. It would be a powerful move, but not really overpowered.

Top Bottom