Mass Effect 3

+
ME2, despite being a series high point, completely derailed the story
I agree with this so much. I think the whole concept of killing and resurrecting Shepard, and having him work with one of the tertiary villains in ME1 is a conceptual misstep. There are lots of stories that could have centered on the building a team and then going on a suicide mission together once your invested in all the characters.

I actually think something about cleaning out the surviving Geth from ME1 ending, culminating in a mission on Rannoch from ME3 could have been a really nice middle step to the Reaper invasion starting ME3. But I'm just some random dude on the internet, so it would probably be terrible when blown up to full game narrative scale.

Last edited:
I actually think something about cleaning out the surviving Geth from ME1 ending, culminating in a mission on Rannoch from ME3 could have been a really nice middle step to the Reaper invasion starting ME3. But I'm just some random dude on the internet, so it would probably be terrible when blow up to full game narrative scale.

Don't make yourself small, this is a way better idea than anything we got in ME2 for the main plot :)

Some very old memories coming back, right now.haha

HOLD THE LINE!!! I mean..., Mass Effect 3 has a lot of good things, but since I love to finish a game multiple times, It was a very bad experience to see that it was the most repetitive from the 3, considering choices and consequences. It is not bad, but It definitely could improve with more development overall.

However, I really hated the game back in 2012 after the ending. Tried to play sometimes through the years and... it wasn't a good thing. But some months ago I bought some DLC's and went back to Tali... I mean, to the title and remembered how the series is good (or can be, when allowed).

Every single year I'm hoping for the announcement of a remaster. :/

Guest 3847602

ME2 and ME3 often feel like Michael Bay made some scenes and parts in the script.

Also next to storywriting/telling the lore is also messed up, and those are just the big points. Smaller stuff like the "outfits" of for example Jack are also part of the problems.
Melodrama, daddy issues and "rule of cool" writing aside, one thing I can never fault ME2 for is the universe building, sense of wonder and discovery was very much alive for me back then. After finishing that game Mass Effect felt bigger and richer.
Without From Ashes and Leviathan DLCs, ME3 is completely barren in that sense.

HOLD THE LINE!!! I mean..., Mass Effect 3 has a lot of good things, but since I love to finish a game multiple times, It was a very bad experience to see that it was the most repetitive from the 3, considering choices and consequences. It is not bad, but It definitely could improve with more development overall.

However, I really hated the game back in 2012 after the ending. Tried to play sometimes through the years and... it wasn't a good thing. But some months ago I bought some DLC's and went back to Tali... I mean, to the title and remembered how the series is good (or can be, when allowed).

The Citadel DLC is truly the best part of the game and a reason I play ME3. Most of the times I shut the game after it down without playing this awful London Mission... or instal the Happy End Mod ;)
I also remember the heavy hate and sadness I felt when I first finished the game, even the Extended Cut don't make it much better, in fact it makes the end worse at many parts.

Melodrama, daddy issues and "rule of cool" writing aside, one thing I can never fault ME2 for is the universe building, sense of wonder and discovery was very much alive for me back then. After finishing that game Mass Effect felt bigger and richer.
Without From Ashes and Leviathan DLCs, ME3 is completely barren in that sense.

The side Mission in ME2 were really great, and I loved visiting Ilium, Omega etc., liked many of the new characters etc. The problem is the main storyline, the whole Cerberus plot etc. This makes the story bad, and story is an important fact for a storydriven game XD

Don't let me start with From Ashes XD This was such a punch in the face for loyal customers and fans. Leviathan was not planned from the start like the Omega DLC for example. It was made after the ending forced such a shitstorm. They tried with it to explain the ending more... and to be honest: It didn't worked very well, due to the former lore.
But the missions aside the story are cool (diving, Moonbase etc. pretty cool)

ME2 started to ruin the franchise sort of for me, 'but' there was always the possibility for it to work out good in the next game; to make it plausible, ggive us more input. But with the Arrival DLC and ME3 Bioware showed us, that this will not work, and that they will give us an awful final.
...and then there is Mass Effect Andromeda... but don't get us started there XD

Guest 3847602

The side Mission in ME2 were really great, and I loved visiting Ilium, Omega etc., liked many of the new characters etc. The problem is the main storyline, the whole Cerberus plot etc. This makes the story bad, and story is an important fact for a storydriven game XD
Of course, in all these years, I've never seen anyone praising ME2 main plot and main missions as the game's strength. Well, except for Suicide Mission, but that was all about different outcomes, epic music and cinematics, not the writing.
Most of ME2 diehard fans have no trouble admitting that the game was saved and propelled into the stars by the characters, their loyalty missions, worldbuilding and overall presentation. Style over substance and all that...
Don't let me start with From Ashes XD This was such a punch in the face for loyal customers and fans. Leviathan was not planned from the start like the Omega DLC for example. It was made after the ending forced such a shitstorm. They tried with it to explain the ending more... and to be honest: It didn't worked very well, due to the former lore.
But the missions aside the story are cool (diving, Moonbase etc. pretty cool)
Day one DLC was such mindbogglingly stupid decision, same with tying EMS score to playing multiplayer. I never understood how anyone sane could think that BW would get away with that without massive backlash and hit to their reputation (which has already started to show cracks in the armor after DA2).
I'm not sure about Leviathan not being planned from the start. Most studios already knows how they want to support their game post-launch. Sure, they will take input from players and incorporate what they see fit, but I think the core concept of Leviathan was already settled before ME3 came out. It's only my speculation, but that DLC didn't strike me as something they made in panic. Case in point - Extended Cut and the evac scene.
If anything, I suspect Citadel DLC was influenced by the reactions to the ending to a much greater degree than Leviathan...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Citadel DLC is truly the best part of the game and a reason I play ME3. Most of the times I shut the game after it down without playing this awful London Mission... or instal the Happy End Mod ;)
I also remember the heavy hate and sadness I felt when I first finished the game, even the Extended Cut don't make it much better, in fact it makes the end worse at many parts.

True. It has all the final interactions that everybody was expecting in the main game. And the party was a very nice touch to finish it and to say goodbye to everyone, while having some fun outside of combat. Beyond that, It comes Priority Rannoch and Priority Tuchanka as the best thing for me.

I enjoy the London mission, even if it already has some flaws by not really showing all the alien races going alongside you. I just want to turn off the game when that child appears. Overall everything is so rushed that it just helps the rumor about Bioware having to completely change the ending after the original one was leaked months before the release.

Of course, in all these years, I've never seen anyone praising ME2 main plot and main missions as the game's strength. Well, except for Suicide Mission, but that was all about different outcomes, epic music and cinematics, not the writing.
Most of ME2 diehard fans have no trouble admitting that the game was saved and propelled into the stars by the characters, their loyalty missions, worldbuilding and overall presentation. Style over substance and all that...

Day one DLC was such mindbogglingly stupid decision, same with tying EMS score to playing multiplayer. I never understood how anyone sane could think that BW would get away with that without massive backlash and hit to their reputation (which has already started to show cracks in the armor after DA2).
I'm not sure about Leviathan not being planned from the start. Most studios already knows how they want to support their game post-launch. Sure, they will take input from players and incorporate what they see fit, but I think the core concept of Leviathan was already settled before ME3 came out. It's only my speculation, but that DLC didn't strike me as something they made in panic. Case in point - Extended Cut and the evac scene.
If anything, I suspect Citadel DLC was influenced by the reactions to the ending to a much greater degree than Leviathan...

I liked the idea of the suicie Mission very much, that people can die if you do the wrong decisions. This was a great detail for the game. And I really liked the final scene where you see all the Reapers flying to the Milky Way (gave me goosebumps everytime)
...of cause this scene was totally destroyed with the Arrival DLC; but as long as this DLC was not there it was a great scene.

I did some SFM/XPS arts back in the day and with that you had to search through the gaming files of the game. You can see which DLCs are kind of planned. For example you were able to find sounds clips and maps from Omega in the standard game long before the Omega DLC came out. This shows it was planned from the start. Or some files with the name ".citadel" were able to found when Leviathan was released, so you could know that something in this direction will come in the future.
Those are small thing you can encounter when you look through the data... and if you have too much time on your hand XD

Day 1 DLCs are stuff I really dislike. Same counts for Bridge DLCs, like Arrival, Tresspasser etc. This is also a real di**kmove by the developers.

True. It has all the final interactions that everybody was expecting in the main game. And the party was a very nice touch to finish it and to say goodbye to everyone, while having some fun outside of combat. Beyond that, It comes Priority Rannoch and Priority Tuchanka as the best thing for me.

I enjoy the London mission, even if it already has some flaws by not really showing all the alien races going alongside you. I just want to turn off the game when that child appears. Overall everything is so rushed that it just helps the rumor about Bioware having to completely change the ending after the original one was leaked months before the release.

Rannoch and Tuchnaka were very great missions, and you really can see and feel that those were written by Patrick Weekes and John Dombrow. The dialogues, the 'feeling' this is something which other missions really can't compare with... which is sad.

I really want to like the London mission.. but I can't XD
Even the scene which is liked by nearly everyone (the arrival of the fleets and the orbit battle) is not enjoyable for me cause there is so much lack of lore that it kinda hurts. And of cause London leads to the 'ending' of ME3 ;)

This may sound that I hate those two games from the heart, but I actually like to play them from time to time.
I love the ME lore, the species, this universe, the mythology; I really can dive deep in it and those games will always have a special place in my heart, even if the story really was a downfall since the second game; but at least, better than Andromeda ;)

I liked the idea of the suicie Mission very much, that people can die if you do the wrong decisions. This was a great detail for the game. And I really liked the final scene where you see all the Reapers flying to the Milky Way (gave me goosebumps everytime)
...of cause this scene was totally destroyed with the Arrival DLC; but as long as this DLC was not there it was a great scene.

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't really dislike any of the Mass Effect games -- had fun with all of them, and all of them created moments that I found very impactful.

I know that my ideas will probably make me a minority in this regard, but I felt that ME2 was a little "contrived". Arguably, it made some significant improvements over ME1, but I felt that certain things were a bit forced. Like the suicide mission. Did it work? Yes...but I felt that some of its energy was loaded after the, imo, much more naturally handled choice between Ash and Kaidan in ME1.

Day 1 DLCs are stuff I really dislike. Same counts for Bridge DLCs, like Arrival, Tresspasser etc. This is also a real di**kmove by the developers.

Absolutely. It always manages to undermine the positive impact any game will have. Either it's something that leaves a gaping hole in the experience, or it puts nonsensical stickers all over the otherwise beautiful piece of art. All for no better reason than to trifle the player out of more money. Especially after I got fed up with the endless droll of trying to max out support from every faction -- then learning I had to play numerous multiplayer matches to get it!? -- the original ending of ME3 was so absolutely anti-climactic and unsatisfying that I didn't even let the credits roll. I was so disappointed.

How to completely destroy the dramatic action of a game in 1-3 steps.

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't really dislike any of the Mass Effect games -- had fun with all of them, and all of them created moments that I found very impactful.

I know that my ideas will probably make me a minority in this regard, but I felt that ME2 was a little "contrived". Arguably, it made some significant improvements over ME1, but I felt that certain things were a bit forced. Like the suicide mission. Did it work? Yes...but I felt that some of its energy was loaded after the, imo, much more naturally handled choice between Ash and Kaidan in ME1.

Absolutely. It always manages to undermine the positive impact any game will have. Either it's something that leaves a gaping hole in the experience, or it puts nonsensical stickers all over the otherwise beautiful piece of art. All for no better reason than to trifle the player out of more money. Especially after I got fed up with the endless droll of trying to max out support from every faction -- then learning I had to play numerous multiplayer matches to get it!? -- the original ending of ME3 was so absolutely anti-climactic and unsatisfying that I didn't even let the credits roll. I was so disappointed.

How to completely destroy the dramatic action of a game in 1-3 steps.

I also really enjoyed the games. But I'm a sucker for great stories, and this is were ME after ME1 really have a lack.
I know and understand why many like the improvements of ME2, but to be honest imo it also breaks here often with the lore and taking so much from the RPG elementzs and make it more 'Call of Duty' was not good. But I know why many player like this. So this is just a personal opinion of mine.

Yeah I remember that you was not able to get the 'best' ending n ME3 without MP. I had to sue this Mobile game "Galaxy at War" To get this...
Arrival DLC was imo the worst Bridge DLC it destroyed the timeline so much and it really feels like a whole new story set up after it.

But damn, after all the talks I need to reinstall ME1 XD

Top Bottom