Sheldon Skaggs

+

Guest 4339135

Sheldon is auto-included in every ST deck at the moment and one of the reasons why ST is such a strong faction. I like his ability but I think his provisions are set too low. Because he brings massive points on the board, most of the time between 14-18 and he only costs 8 provision. So you can see, much more points than an Old Speartip for 15 prov. does and the only condition to set him up is to have the card in your hand. In comparison to other high provision cards, like Regis or Zoltan, it's an easy thing to get the points out of him and there is no way to counter him or play around (only Shilard). Furthermore handbuffing is a strategy with carryover, so you have to regard this too. In my opinion he should get more than 10 provisions, maybe 11-12.

To set Sheldon up to 14-18 you first need those handbuffing cards of which a lot are engines an can be shut down. And all of them are low value plays such that you will more likely loose the first rounds.
While he might have too low provisions, I wouldn't increase those by more than 1.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
You need to setup Sheldon and he gets diminished returns when the opponent doesn't have any strong units. Furthermore, Sheldon can also brick. And finally, ST has been the underdog for a while now and they are deserving of a few good units. Taken everything into account, I think Sheldon is fine.

I play mostly SC and so I use Sheldon in nearly all of my decks. I have commented to my friends that he is just too good right now. 8 provisions is just a steal for such a super great play even with all of the set up from other cards.

SC is not a great faction right now though.

Guest 4339135

To set Sheldon up to 14-18 you first need those handbuffing cards of which a lot are engines an can be shut down. And all of them are low value plays such that you will more likely loose the first rounds.
While he might have too low provisions, I wouldn't increase those by more than 1.

Most players don't use the engine handbuffers, there are many other cards which boost Sheldon. So it's not so difficult to enable him and I think 10-11 provisions are good.

Guest 4339135

You need to setup Sheldon and he gets diminished returns when the opponent doesn't have any strong units. Furthermore, Sheldon can also brick. And finally, ST has been the underdog for a while now and they are deserving of a few good units. Taken everything into account, I think Sheldon is fine.

But it's easy to set him up, especially in comparison to other high provision units like Regis or Draug for example. You only need him in your hand an then you can give him the boost without any possibility to stop this. And yes, he can brick, but it's unlikely and every card could brick or could be bad in a specific situation.
Every deck plays units with 5-6 strenght and most decks use stronger units, so you always have a good target when you boost him to 7 or 9. And before you have to think about which cards your opponent could play and then you have to boost him to the right strenght.
And if a faction is an underdog or the best one in the game has nothing to do with the strenght of a card, sorry this isn't an argument for his provisions. By the way, ST performed very well before the expansion (especially in comparison to NR and NG) and now ST has many different good decks and archetypes, no other faction has such a diversity of good decks.
Post automatically merged:

I play mostly SC and so I use Sheldon in nearly all of my decks. I have commented to my friends that he is just too good right now. 8 provisions is just a steal for such a super great play even with all of the set up from other cards.

SC is not a great faction right now though.

You're right, but ST is a good faction at the moment and ST was already good before the expansion.

Sheldon is valuable when you patiently buffed him and took risks in early stages. You should be rewarded if your handbuff strategy goes well and managed to avoid bleeding, not mentionning shilard that may cost you the match if you are greedy.

One thing is that you do not take provisions of handbuffing units into account. For example you should not count a 5+5 points Skaggs as a 10 pts for 8 prov, because for example if you used the dward handbuffer (4 prov 2 points) you get

Sheldon+dwarf = 8 + 4 = 12 prov
10 + 2 = 12 points

Looking at the risk/reward I would definitely not increase its cost above 9. My preference is more like 8 prov / 2 base points so it would bricks more easily

Guest 4339135

If he were 10 provisions, it would be necessary to handbuff him by 4 and the enemy needs to have a 7 power unit, or else he won't get his provisions back. And for a card that requires the player to create his deck around that would be far too situational.

But you will always find a target with 5-6 strenght and most of the time a better one. And every high provision card needs a special setup to get their provisions back. For example when you play Draug, you need 3 or more human targets so that he could bring back his provisions, but in a short round or against a control deck maybe you get only one or two revenants out of him.
And the problem now is that every ST deck can use Sheldon because of his low provision and the easy setup. I use him in every ST deck --> with traps, with Dana, with Fila and Eithne players use him too, only Fila is built around handbuff. Every other deck uses him because he is so good and easy to setup.

rrc

Forum veteran
According to your own statements, people don't buff him with engines, but with other cards. So, the other cards are: Agitators, Ithline who can reliably buff him and Sirisa. Provided you get all the cards in hand (which is quite rare, bloody rare), you are playing 2+2+5 on three turns. That is, you put 9 points on board in three turns averaging 3 points per turn. If you get a valid target for Sirisa, then 6 points from her. Totally 15 points on board in 4 turns, with less than the acceptable bare minimum 4 points. This is assuming you get all 5 cards in your hand. So, now Sheldon is at 13 points. This is the absolute freaking best he can get with all the stars and moon aligning in your favor. This rarely ever happens. If your opponent is that lucky, he is anyhow going to win you.

Now, lets see the ugly side of it. You don't draw Sheldon and you have 2 mulligans left and you have an agitator in hand. You mulligan away a card and get Volunteer. What do you do? Keep the agitator in hand with a risk of bricking? or Mulligan him away? So, you will use him on Voluneer if the push comes to shove? What if he gets killed? You have 5 point voluteer bricked in your hand. All these s**t has happened to me when I try to use Sheldon. If you don't have last say, the opponent can have a tall unit removal or reset unit. Once, I got my 13 point Sheldon Shilard-ed and got 1 point Sheldon in my hand.

Given all the risk and most probably not getting last say if you build around Sheldon, the risks are higher. And all said and done, he is supposed to be the only good finisher ST has. So, please ST a break and let them have at least a couple of decent finishers.

Guest 4339135

Sheldon is valuable when you patiently buffed him and took risks in early stages. You should be rewarded if your handbuff strategy goes well and managed to avoid bleeding, not mentionning shilard that may cost you the match if you are greedy.

One thing is that you do not take provisions of handbuffing units into account. For example you should not count a 5+5 points Skaggs as a 10 pts for 8 prov, because for example if you used the dward handbuffer (4 prov 2 points) you get

Sheldon+dwarf = 8 + 4 = 12 prov
10 + 2 = 12 points

Looking at the risk/reward I would definitely not increase its cost above 9. My preference is more like 8 prov / 2 base points so it would bricks more easily

Yeah, we could discuss about his provision. Maybe 9, 10 or 11 is better, your idea with 2 base strenght is good too. I don't know what is better, but we both think he is too strong at the moment.
And I would not say that the risks are to high, often you boost him in round 2 as carryover and then you pass. And playing an Agitator in round 1 is most of the time ok, especially on red coin you don't have any problems.

rrc

Forum veteran
Yeah, we could discuss about his provision. Maybe 9, 10 or 11 is better, your idea with 2 base strenght is good too. I don't know what is better, but we both think he is too strong at the moment.
And I would not say that the risks are to high, often you boost him in round 2 as carryover and then you pass. And playing an Agitator in round 1 is most of the time ok, especially on red coin you don't have any problems.
Wow! 9, 10, or 11? Seriously? Did you know that he was at 9 provisions and was reduced to 8 since people thought he was risky enough that he was not worthy of 9 provisions? Anyhow, which faction do you play?

You're right, but ST is a good faction at the moment and ST was already good before the expansion.

It's not terrible or anything but the faction as a whole hardly needs a nerf right now.

I still agree that Sheldon as a singular card is currently better than most cards. There is a reason he is essentially auto include. If he was a more balanced card then people wouldn't shove him into any and every SC deck that they possibly can.

Gyg

Forum regular
Ok, so let's count provision costs. I assume you got lucky and buffed Sheldon with Ithilinne, Agitator and Sirssa. I count Sirssa to be buffed once due to harmony tag. You also had a perfect target for buffed Sheldon and didn't waste any points of damage(11 damage).
Points you got:
5+2+2+5+11+11=36.
Provision cost:
11+4+8+8=31.
So 5 points more than provision cost. Here I count almost perfect scenario with everything drawn and a target with 11 strength. It should be cost effective.

Guest 4339135

Ok, so let's count provision costs. I assume you got lucky and buffed Sheldon with Ithilinne, Agitator and Sirssa. I count Sirssa to be buffed once due to harmony tag. You also had a perfect target for buffed Sheldon and didn't waste any points of damage(11 damage).
Points you got:
5+2+2+5+11+11=36.
Provision cost:
11+4+8+8=31.
So 5 points more than provision cost. Here I count almost perfect scenario with everything drawn and a target with 11 strength. It should be cost effective.

This exists only on paper, in the game you play three diferent rounds and you can't count the points this way. And handbuff means carryover, where do you count this?
Post automatically merged:

Wow! 9, 10, or 11? Seriously? Did you know that he was at 9 provisions and was reduced to 8 since people thought he was risky enough that he was not worthy of 9 provisions? Anyhow, which faction do you play?

I don't know what you are doing, but I play every faction.

Sheldon is fine. Only 3 base power for 8 provision looks fair to me even with the handbuff.

Also he is not autoincluded in all decks, I never play him in my Scoia'tael decks. He's only autoincluded maybe in control or handbuff decks.

I think he's fine as he is. He's not a auto-include and its a very draw dependent card. Moreover, he's played in a handbuff deck only.

Sheldon is fine. Only 3 base power for 8 provision looks fair to me even with the handbuff.

Also he is not autoincluded in all decks, I never play him in my Scoia'tael decks. He's only autoincluded maybe in control or handbuff decks.

The vast majority of Dana decks that I see use him. That says something.

Any deck that can realistically fit him in is plain dumb not to.

Gyg

Forum regular
Handbuff is only true carry over if you let it happen. Do not drypass Handbuff decks, bleed them. Don't Overblow round one.
I mean Sheldon with 9 provisions is OK, I don't mind it. But 9 provisions and str 2 will make him bad as he was before.

The vast majority of Dana decks that I see use him. That says something.

Actually, it doesn't say much. Harmony decks are build around using different categories. The problem with Dwarfs is that they are highly synergetic only with themselves, which makes it difficult to mix them with other races. Sheldon is the only good exception, which makes him a prime target for Harmony decks, with Gabor as an (expensive) backup. If there was a viable alternative, then Sheldon would see less play.

Top Bottom