ST Archetype: Dwarves

+

Gyg

Forum regular
It is one of the least played ST archetypes, at least when looking at Team Aretuza Meta Snapshots. Dwarven cards do appear in other ST decks but we see the old same package of Volunteers/Defenders/Agitators/Skirmishers/Sheldon. All dwarves deck is not in the meta.
I wonder what can be done to change this status.
Dwarven cards have three distinct mechanics:
Deploy ability that triggers while handbuffed, resilience and ability based on number of Dwarves/playing Dwarves.
They do synergise somewhat with each other (handbuff is required for resilience, resilience increases the number of Dwarves in a round), so there is some consistency among the cards.
There is only a handful of powerful finishers:
Buffed Sheldon Skaggs, Zoltan: Scoundrel (very expensive). Used to be Commander's Horn.
There are a few engines:
Mercenaries, Defenders, Gabor, Xavier Moran (tall removal magnet).
So there is the basis, but I find it lacking power overall. It is not because of Bronzes, who are mostly quite good.
Volunteers, Mercenary, Defender, Agitator, Skirmisher are the basis of many ST decks.
There are some situational ones as Guard and Marauder who could be good in certain decks and there is Pyrotechnican who needs a very dedicated deck to have good value.
I think the lack of power comes from not enough good gold cards.
The good ones are: Gabor, Cleaver, Sheldon and Paulie Dahlberg.
Yarpen Zigrin has no synergy with any deck except spell-tael, Zoltan Chivay is ok, Cranmer and Els are mediocre.
Xavier Moran is very risky – tall removal/debuff will not only counter this card but also all additional resources invested in buffing it.
Zoltan Scoundrel is very expensive provisions-wise but versatile.

What I propose is to buff some golds to be more useful for all Dwarf deck, changing ones that don’t see play altogether.

Yarpen Zigrin: Strength 5, 10 provisions, Deploy: Spawn and Play Yarpen’s Band in the same row.
Yarpen’s Band: Strength 4. Commentary: Helps with the number of Dwarves on board, gives good points without buffing or damaging. Spawn and play on Yarpen’s Band will trigger Gabor and Mercenary for added combo value.

Dennis Cranmer: Strength 4, 8 provisions, Deploy (Melee): Boost adjacent units by 2.
Deploy (Ranged): Boost self by 2 and buff a Dwarf in hand by 1. Commentary: Some additional versality added and will synergise with handbuffing strategy. EDIT: Increased the base Strength of the card and lowered the handbuff by one - it will trigger the handbuff efect of certain Dwarves but won't give a big carry-over potentional. The adjacent buff option is more efficient as it conditional (having two units in melee row). Also I thing buff only on deploy cards could get a boost in efficiency in general.

Barclay Els: Strength 4, 8 Provisions, Deploy: Boost an allied unit by 1 for each allied Dwarf (including himself). Commentary: Basically return to Els from the beginning of Homecomming, boosting him in value to Zoltan Chivay’s levels.

Xavier Moran: Strength 4, 6 Provisions, Melee: Whenever this unit receives a boost, boost a random other ally by 1. Commentary: Some high variance removed making him a Tridam Infantry variant. Even if he is removed by tall removal, the value of this card will remain as buffs on other allies. Would work well with Dryad Matron and Vitality cards.

BONUS:
Sheldon Skaggs: Strength 3, 8 Provisions, Deploy: Damage an enemy by 3. If boosted, damage that unit by 5 instead. Range 2. Commentary: I do find Sheldon balanced as he is now, but if the community outrage is too high we can remove the high variance from the card. The proposed change will make him a very reliable card that almost always will return points equal to provisions and is very good removal tool.

Final note: I do believe that Filavandrel’s ability suits all Dwarf deck better that Brouver so the cosmetic change of switching the mentioned leaders’ abilities hinted by CDPR would be nice touch.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
The reason all Elf or all Dwarf decks can't ever be in the meta is, all these cards need at least five freaking cards of the same type on the board. Which forces you to add only ST cards abandoning powerful neutrals. Even if you add only ST cards of either Dwarf or Elf, you can only win one round. You can out-tempo any other deck, but for only round. You don't have any chance for winning your second round. All the bloody fking ST gold cards are like that. Either you have 5 cards on the board of the same type or the opponent should have 5 or more cards in a row (Toruveil). Except for Sheldon, there is no way you can win a short round or even a mid-lengthy round.

While most of the Golds from other factions can easily break-even, don't have these dependencies and are in general stronger. I wrote a huge post about the status of ST and mentioned this point. But nothing happened.

The main reason why Dwarf decks cannot work is that almost all dwarves have nothing to do with scoia'tael. No idea why they are part of the faction. :shrug:

Apparently, even more than once. At least according to last few games I played against green decks. Maybe I am just perplexed by how harmony actually work, but isnt it supposed to work once per category? :D
Or maybe there are lesser dwarves like poor poor skirmisher and uber dwarves like Sheldon boy which trigger it independently.

Apparently, even more than once. At least according to last few games I played against green decks. Maybe I am just perplexed by how harmony actually work, but isn't it supposed to work once per category? :D
Or maybe there are lesser dwarves like poor poor skirmisher and -uber-?? dwarves like Sheldon boy which trigger it independently.

Yes. Harmony does work how it is intended; for I have played couple games with it, and honestly this tag only triggers once per category. However, if there is another of the same category at presence then it will not trigger BUT if of that same category gets removed from the board, it will trigger when you have placed down that of the same category which was removed by the opposition's turn.

Ah, ok. So I finally understand. I thought that it triggers when new category is played and it will save that information for that specific harmony unit. Does that mean, removing green units is giving green decks more points for harmony?

Ah, ok. So I finally understand. I thought that it triggers when new category is played and it will save that information for that specific harmony unit. Does that mean, removing green units is giving green decks more points for harmony?

Yes, It triggers when new category is played BUT it will NOT save the information of that category played so if you remove that category from the board and the opposition play another of the same category which was removed then harmony will trigger again on that same category that was removed so basically yes it is giving extra points to the units that has "harmony" tag from that same category which you removed previously.

Gyg

Forum regular
The reason all Elf or all Dwarf decks can't ever be in the meta is, all these cards need at least five freaking cards of the same type on the board.
I think it is the problem of golds in general, not oly ST cards. The thing is cards that are not conditional/high variance or order cards are designed to have a return investment of provision cost minus 1. ST excel in such cards while other factions have very few such cards (neutrals have only Enraged Ifrit and Regis: Bloodlust). The issue I see here is that damage and buffs are considered equal which is not true. I imagine that buff-only cards could get a buff of +1 strength compared to damage dealing cards.

Find it extremely sad that there's such limitations and constant reference to "META". This game should be playable in dozens and dozens of different ways, each interesting and fun. It's not - it's a dull procession of pre-ordained decks using the same cards over and over and over.

Nothing highlights it better, or CDPR's lack of clear vision, than the fact neither Dwarfs nor Elves really has one archetype, with the added crutch being that each one's best leader is the opposite (i.e. Filavandrel works best with Dwarves)! There's basically two ST hands. Each one has the same cards but a different leader. Each one relies on Skaggs and/or Saesenthessis R3, and plays Agitator or Hawker as the first card, without fail. It's so dull I can't even draw myself to play against it; I just quit when I see ST appear. Which is about 90% of the time.

Ok so Dwarves have multiple cards that synergize with handbuff. The leader for handbuff is an elf. No one thinks it's ok to play the elf leader with a dwarf deck. Not to mention dwarves in general just don't work well either. Please do something with dwarves. None of this makes sense. I felt the need to make this thread because apparently the devs decided NOT to switch the abilities of Filivandril and Brouver.

Find it extremely sad that there's such limitations and constant reference to "META". This game should be playable in dozens and dozens of different ways, each interesting and fun. It's not - it's a dull procession of pre-ordained decks using the same cards over and over and over.

Nothing highlights it better, or CDPR's lack of clear vision, than the fact neither Dwarfs nor Elves really has one archetype, with the added crutch being that each one's best leader is the opposite (i.e. Filavandrel works best with Dwarves)! There's basically two ST hands. Each one has the same cards but a different leader. Each one relies on Skaggs and/or Saesenthessis R3, and plays Agitator or Hawker as the first card, without fail. It's so dull I can't even draw myself to play against it; I just quit when I see ST appear. Which is about 90% of the time.

I don't agree with a lot of your posts but this one is spot on.

Ok so Dwarves have multiple cards that synergize with handbuff. The leader for handbuff is an elf. No one thinks it's ok to play the elf leader with a dwarf deck. Not to mention dwarves in general just don't work well either. Please do something with dwarves. None of this makes sense. I felt the need to make this thread because apparently the devs decided NOT to switch the abilities of Filivandril and Brouver.

I would also think it makes more sense to have an elf with movement (like dragoon, Ciaran, Malena) and a dwarf with handbuff but honestly, gameplay-wise, it doesn't change anything...

Top Bottom