Cyber Punk 2077 Beta testing !

+

Do you want to be part of the closed Beta and are you willing to put in your time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can we (the forum dwellers) sign up for beta testing?

i love to be part of this!
and if i need to sign a non-disclosure agreement... i will.
i have done that enough times in my profession.

and for the rest who reads this.. say 'Yay' or 'Nay' or what ever you like :)

CDPR doesn't organize any public beta testing for their single player titles (as far as I know, there is no dev in existence who actually does so, in fact), so the only possible instance of anything of sort happening in relation to Cyberpunk would be for potential multiplayer mode, however nothing of sort was officially confirmed so far.

Yeah, I don't see why a single-player game would have a beta. Witcher series games didn't have one, so I really don't think Cyberpunk would have one either.

i see.. no open beta. but a closed one.
anyone know what company they outsource to or is CDPR not yet there?

Post automatically merged:

Yeah, I don't see why a single-player game would have a beta. Witcher series games didn't have one, so I really don't think Cyberpunk would have one either.

do you really think the witcher series didnt had testers?

Last edited:
Beta testing is a useful step for any software, regardless if it is online or single player (in general, not specifically public/private/etc). I don't see a logical/technical reason that a public beta has to be tied to multiplayer. There are likely a lot of reasons the two go hand in hand, but I suspect those reasons are based more on marketing or psychology (like MMO players are more obsessive than other players, and consequently more likely to provide free labor).

I doubt they will open up testing, even partially, but if they did I would love to contribute to 2077 by taking part in it.

I like to dream and offer my time, but I know it's not gonna happen.

BTW, just to make it clear, every game has a beta. development goes through these phases:
conceptual design->pre-alpha->alpha->beta->gold (physical copies are produced, 1 month-ish before release)-> market

CybrisPunk said:
i see.. no open beta. but a closed one.
anyone know what company they outsource to or is CDPR not yet there?

(btw.. funny that you all missed that...

do you really think the witcher series didnt had testers?

We are the public, any test that involves us is public be they open (any one can have a go) or private (invite only).

Internal testing is going on constantly. but they are employees of CDPR, not members of the public.

Beta testing is a useful step for any software, regardless if it is online or single player (in general, not specifically public/private/etc). I don't see a logical/technical reason that a public beta has to be tied to multiplayer. There are likely a lot of reasons the two go hand in hand, but I suspect those reasons are based more on marketing or psychology (like MMO players are more obsessive than other players, and consequently more likely to provide free labor).

I doubt they will open up testing, even partially, but if they did I would love to contribute to 2077 by taking part in it.

the reason multiplayer games have public betas is to load test the game, they would never have 10,000 employees to test it from home, so they invite the public in. Is largely the only way to test your preparations.

We are the public, any test that involves us is public be they open (any one can have a go) or private (invite only).

Internal testing is going on constantly. but they are employees of CDPR, not members of the public.

the reason multiplayer games have public betas is to load test the game, they would never have 10,000 employees to test it from home, so they invite the public in. Is largely the only way to test your preparations.

and to lay any possible blame back on the gamers and not the company. ;)
and to form a community that will last longer bcz of the time and effort they put in it.
and more..

if i sign a non-disclosure agreement.. i am part of the closed beta... right? :)

Last edited:

Public betas are a good way to suss out weird actions people may take that could expose edge case bugs or exploitable mechanics, but it is not the only way and is easily not the best way to test load preparedness. Live traffic will be different than scripted traffic, but if you want to purely test load you can automate those tests allowing you to control and analyze origin of traffic, areas of the service that are getting hit, integrity of the data, & even perform attacks. Using those methods gives you specific action points to act on to shore it up before the public gets in.

By the time an online service gets to beta they should know the average cost/impact of a user action & have a pretty solid estimate of how many actions each user is going to put in in a given interval. Games who's public beta's load brings down the server is likely being caused by them not putting in their due diligence or by intentionally letting in more users than the allocated resources will support to show that demand is just that great for this game, come buy a copy because clearly everyone will be playing. Betas are likely to crash, but it should be because of errors uncovered by how unpredictable people are, not because you couldn't anticipate load or a scaling strategy.

I actually do alpha/beta testing as a way to earn beer money now that I'm retired. Due to NDAs and general confidentiality ethics I can't, and won't, say what games. But 99% of "public beta tests" are really nothing more then a cheap way to advertise a product, a way to test servers in MMOs, or cheap QA for smaller developers. None of those really applies to CDPR.

"Real" testing involves analyzing the "why" far more then the "what". It does little to no good to tell developers "I don't like X" or "Y is broken" they need to know what lead up to, or better yet caused, the problem.

Last edited:
I just want them to walk on stage at E3, say "It's READY", drop the mic, and roll live game play footage while everyone in the audience just dies because they can't handle it.

I actually do alpha/beta testing as a way to earn beer money now that I'm retired. Due to NDAs and general confidentiality ethics I can't, and won't, say what games. But 99% of "public beta tests" are really nothing more then a cheap way to advertise a product, a way to test servers in MMOs, or cheap QA for smaller developers. None of those really applies to CDPR.

"Real" testing involves analyzing the "why" far more then the "what". It does little to no good to tell developers "I don't like X" or "Y is broken" they need to know what lead up to, or better yet caused, the problem.

NDA's generally dont stop you from saying what game your testing if its beta testing. it only keeps you from talking about talking about specifics like game design and mechanics.. For example cant say im testing Elderscrols 6 and its amazing can even tame and fly on dragons. (complete bs made up for example) but can say with out getting in trouble Im testing Elderscrolls 6 and its looking nice so far. and I Have tested games all way back to the ultima series back in late 90s. generally if a game that is single player is tested off site its a tester that has proven to be faithful to NDA and to not let on they got to look at it at home before release, and have usually worked with long time at the actual studio with them.

As much as we would all like that, I think it's doubtful. If anyone has a chance of getting to try the game early, it'll probably be the mods, not us lowly forum-dwellers. I believe a couple mods have been invited out to hang at the studio in the past (Sigi and Sard, I think?), though not to test the game (more of a general meet and greet, as I understood it).

While I agree with those who have said a public beta need not be exclusive to multiplayer games, I can see why it isn't. It's all about perception. With multiplayer games, it's OK if players don't have the best first impression (it shouldn't be, IMO, but it is nowadays) - it's a "collaborative" development effort, and few such games are actually finished on launch. They're happy to let players in to break their games early because they know the game is going to be constantly iterated on, with new features, characters, maps, etc. added over time.

In Cyberpunk 2077, we are getting a contained singleplayer experience, with the possibility of DLC later. If you open it up to the public, what happens when players finish the entire game, or a sizable chunk of it? Maybe you just lost a sale. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those of us who spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours in these games are in the minority. I'm sure a lot of people play the game once, just do the main story and a couple side quests, and call it good.

If you restrict them to a very small portion of the map, the testing isn't of much value (not no value, just perhaps not worth the potential PR nightmares and expense).

Not going anywhere in particular with this post. Just presenting a bunch of different viewpoints, I suppose.

NDA's generally dont stop you from saying what game your testing if its beta testing. it only keeps you from talking about talking about specifics like game design and mechanics.. For example cant say im testing Elderscrols 6 and its amazing can even tame and fly on dragons. (complete bs made up for example) but can say with out getting in trouble Im testing Elderscrolls 6 and its looking nice so far. and I Have tested games all way back to the ultima series back in late 90s. generally if a game that is single player is tested off site its a tester that has proven to be faithful to NDA and to not let on they got to look at it at home before release, and have usually worked with long time at the actual studio with them.

but if she is testing CP77.......

As much as we would all like that, I think it's doubtful. If anyone has a chance of getting to try the game early, it'll probably be the mods, not us lowly forum-dwellers. I believe a couple mods have been invited out to hang at the studio in the past (Sigi and Sard, I think?), though not to test the game (more of a general meet and greet, as I understood it).

While I agree with those who have said a public beta need not be exclusive to multiplayer games, I can see why it isn't. It's all about perception. With multiplayer games, it's OK if players don't have the best first impression (it shouldn't be, IMO, but it is nowadays) - it's a "collaborative" development effort, and few such games are actually finished on launch. They're happy to let players in to break their games early because they know the game is going to be constantly iterated on, with new features, characters, maps, etc. added over time.

In Cyberpunk 2077, we are getting a contained singleplayer experience, with the possibility of DLC later. If you open it up to the public, what happens when players finish the entire game, or a sizable chunk of it? Maybe you just lost a sale. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those of us who spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours in these games are in the minority. I'm sure a lot of people play the game once, just do the main story and a couple side quests, and call it good.

If you restrict them to a very small portion of the map, the testing isn't of much value (not no value, just perhaps not worth the potential PR nightmares and expense).

Not going anywhere in particular with this post. Just presenting a bunch of different viewpoints, I suppose.

that is why i said, closed beta :)

ow wait.. nm. missread .. (watching Ajax Spurs to)

Top Bottom