NG - Morvran and Soldier Archetype Review

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hello everyone.
So we've had a few days of the NIlfgaard update, where Reveal as a NG archetype was scrapped, and most of the changed cards went into developing the soldier archetype (and a few for tactics).

In my opinion, NG soldiers was already perfectly viable, with great bronzes such as Magne Division, Nauzica Sergeant, the cheapest lock unit and slave infantry (the best bronze in the game, again imo). And Vreemde and Vrygheff made quite a combo already, but now they have even more possibilities.

The new recruit and alba pikeman are great additions to the soldiers, and it seems the new Daerlan soldier is getting really popular, paired with Vrygheff and Vreemde, with the same strategy previously used on Slave infantry - the difference is when you do it on daerlan soldiers, you dont need any other units on board, while with slave infantry you require having several weak units to transform them all into 4/6 slave infantries. Daerlan soldiers= simpler, less vulnerable to disruption, slave infantry= potentially more points.

Then we have Morvran's new ability - boost soldier by 2, 3 charges, on the last charge you choose a soldier to go to the top of your deck.
At first it seemed nice, but when i actually tried it... its weak, and worse, limiting.
In the stream they mentioned a cool combo - on the 3rd charge, put Tibor on top, then use Vilgefortz to destroy a own unit to summon Tibor - it works well, but since Vilgefortz summons and doesnt trigger the soldiers ability, using him with TIbor is the only decent combo, since all the other soldiers are deploy effect.

The other possibility is using Joachim to play the soldier you put on top of the deck and boost it by 8 - using it for a 21 pt TIbor seems risky unless you have last say, and for people who dont want to use Tibor, it feels like a weak finisher.

My point is: the soldier archetype is really nice now in NG, but frankly, it works better with the other leaders - Emhyr and Calveit can easily provide more value, and i even used a Ardal soldier deck that i made before the update that did better than my Morvran deck after the update.

On a side note: they changed Hefty Helge, and were really excited about it on the stream, but i absolutely hate it. I know almost no one used it, but i did and provided really great value on a soldier deck, and being the only immune NG unit was awesome. Now it just has a shield and relies on tactics, not soldiers, and has charges instead of a single order. They made it feel like a buff but it was a nerf, since now it can be locked or seized, and it would have been super powerful with all these new soldier buffs, now its just a glorified Fire Scorpion.

What do you guys think? Did i miss any possible soldier combo?

I do not know much about current soldier archetype, I do not play Nilfgaard, but I am curious if somebody knows, what was reason for such change. I do not want to say if that change was good or bad, I just am curious why reveal was switched mostly to soldiers.

This morning I tried several Soldiers swarm decks, using funny things such as Yennefer+Cahir combos to try to make the new Standard bearer (boost by 1 for each ennemy unit boosted) useful.

I still encounter Gimpy from time to time:cry: so the problems are quite similar to NR Draug

DRK3

Forum veteran
This morning I tried several Soldiers swarm decks, using funny things such as Yennefer+Cahir combos to try to make the new Standard bearer (boost by 1 for each ennemy unit boosted) useful.

I still encounter Gimpy from time to time:cry: so the problems are quite similar to NR Draug

Yeah, i havent tried it yet but i am interested in trying a Calveit Cahir boost deck, with the new standard bearer and NG knight, but it doesnt seem like it can be made into a full archetype.

A soldier swarm with Vrygheff + Vreemde, plus Zoltan companion, and Vivienne on Zoltan seems to be more reliable, row punishing doesnt seem to be common nowadays (i still love lacerate though)

I do not know much about current soldier archetype, I do not play Nilfgaard, but I am curious if somebody knows, what was reason for such change. I do not want to say if that change was good or bad, I just am curious why reveal was switched mostly to soldiers.

Because reveal was very poorly made in homecoming. Too much RNG. Not much fun.

I don't like Morvrans limitation to soldiers. It just feels forced into one move.
As they explayned in the demo vid: Morvran - Tibor - Vilge, great combo. But as shown in their demo vid: you lose if you don't draw. I tryed Vicovaro novice, but just do the counting ... poor tempo, mediocre value

- Have to use charges early or half of leader ability goes to vain...
- Can't protect other valuable units...
- Vreemde, Vrygheff, Peter... Situational good, but again poor tempo/value
- Pull up bronce engine? kidding?
- use Damien, why even bother...

Leaders that limits them self imho just a bad idea. We already have Eldain
look at NR leaders, they all seems to be made for one archetype but you don't have to. Meve can protect any engine you want not only tridam-combos, Demavent can go for machines or mages or even buff engines, arbalest, Foltest zeal is cool for tempo on every big order unit. Henselt can pull that bronce, you chose to build your deck around

lose the "soldier" limitation and he could be a great general for all NG styles
or let him Play/Summon for extra tempo or even create, so he could even make use of assimilate

I have to agree that they pushed the limitations a bit too far. I understand and like that they wanted to make Morvran the soldier leader, but they are doing it backwards. Instead of giving him an ability that plays at the soldier archetype's strength, that would be ok in general but excel when played with soldiers, they just used a generic ability but limited it to soldiers.

I don't think his ability needs to be reworked yet again, but at the very least the soldier restriction should be removed from one of his two effects.
I'm also curious how played or strong would Morvran be if his ability was completely generic, like boost any unit by 2 and put any card on the top.

Because reveal was very poorly made in homecoming. Too much RNG. Not much fun.

Random reveal (if it was random) is a nice method for gathering intel about your opponents deck. It's a very interesting tactic.
Post automatically merged:

I'm also curious how played or strong would Morvran be if his ability was completely generic, like boost any unit by 2 and put any card on the top.

That was one of my favourite animations and voice acts in all of Gwent, when Morvran revealed a card. I'm quite sad to see that removed.

Random reveal (if it was random) is a nice method for gathering intel about your opponents deck. It's a very interesting tactic.
Post automatically merged:

That was one of my favourite animations and voice acts in all of Gwent, when Morvran revealed a card. I'm quite sad to see that removed.

Reveal itself wasn't the problem. It was the poor way it was implemented.

Reveal itself wasn't the problem. It was the poor way it was implemented.

I agree. I would like to see a revamped reveal with more purposeful reveals. Some unit abilities can be based on reveal, but that's not even the main priority.

I like alot of the new abilities for the previous reveal units for Nilfgaard.

Top Bottom