Cyberpunk 2077: Aesthetic Changes

+
Come E3 2019 I am starting to believe that the look of the game will look very different. People talk to no end about the changes to gameplay (which will be different too) but seem to neglect the visuals. When we saw the demo for the gameplay it looked very grey, pastely and low res in places. When the Witcher 3 came out the graphics were downgraded but the colour scheme was much more saturated. I think along with things like scale and night I believe by the time the next demo arrives it will be better than the Witcher 3. More saturation, upgraded graphics. I believe it will look closer to the trailer we saw last year.

*I posted this on the Cyberpunk 2077 Reddit and it got removed when all I was trying to do was create discussion amongst people. I'm honestly done with that website

Sild

Ex-moderator
The graphics in the demo were.. good. Some low textures here and there, some assets kept repeating (like same people). I don't really agree stylistically the way they chose to portray the game but, as far as quality goes it was pretty good, nothing mind-blowing like the Witcher 3 first E3 demo probably to avoid having to downgrade when they pieced together the game world nearing the end of the dev cycle.

I think it looked pretty vivid actually, but this is a cyberpunk world and grey and pastely is what most people expected really. But if the color scheme isn't to your liking, mods have been known to change it quite radically and successfully with The Witcher 3.

And we're yet to see night-time. No cyberpunk media is aesthetically complete without the neon lit streets and skyline.

I think the game will be no single look. And, yeah, much will be different from the demo.

Compare the W3 Velen demo release. Velen was grim, grey and, well, swampy.

Release had a whole World of colours! Velen, Skellige, Novigrad, White Orchard, even est and south Velen were so different.

And eventually Toussaint.

CDPR is even more ambitious now, so I think the final game will resemble the demo in parts but also not at all in other parts.

I think Sard is got it right . There will be nice places where the Corpo`s live all the way to poor places like The Combat Zone. We haven`t even seen NC at night .Animalfather was posted a great pic of NC at night on the Cyberpunk Artworks thread.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I think Sard is got it right . There will be nice places where the Corpo`s live all the way to poor places like The Combat Zone. We haven`t even seen NC at night .Animalfather was posted a great pic of NC at night on the Cyberpunk Artworks thread.

Call me a skeptic but I don't think that's a picture of Night City, at least not CDPR Night City.

Call me a skeptic but I don't think that's a picture of Night City, at least not CDPR Night City.

No no i didn`t mean it was NC it`s his NC and a good pic too ( as i see it in my mind ). sorry for the misunderstanding :giggle:

I've said it once, I'll say it again: the demo did NOT look too good to be true.

People who are fearing a downgrade, maybe those fears will be realized, maybe the game won't be "downgraded" but it will instead just be different (as Sard said) visually, who knows. I sure don't. What I do know is that what we've seen so far is not impossibly good looking.

Just look at this shot from the demo:

Look how awful some of those textures and draw distances look. A lot of the lighting is off, too, making things look washed out and just... weird. This is not an Ubisoft E3 demo, folks.

Although those sound like insults, they really aren't (I genuinely love the look, art dudes! I mean no offense!). I'm happy about these things. It makes me believe CDPR even more when they say this is a live demo of the game and not pre-rendered or what have you. It also hopefully means the game -- purely from a graphical fidelity perspective, not style -- won't be worse than this on launch/in the next demo.

There are undoubtedly tons of optimizations they can do to make this run better (so it doesn't need the system it ran on at E3 to function), too.

We didn' t even saw a second Demo from the gameplay yet and we re already at the
Downgrade topic again. *sighs* I suppose everybody saw the huge Watermark in the DEMO?
"Work in Progress" aye, you guys n gals know what that means yes? I personally rather have a
Demo looking like this and might be positive surprised than the other way around.

Demo looks good so far (for a real in game demo presentation, earlier stage)
Just wait till we gonna see a more polished version of the gameplay, okay?
Don t jump into any conclusion or assumptions here.

Pretty please?

I'm on board with Sard.
I expect we'll have a diversity of atmosphere.
We'll not only get a diversity of atmosphere as it applies to location, but, also the weather and time of day.

One location may look cheerful and bright on a clear sunny day, but, the same location at night, while it's raining, with fog, may feel claustrophobic, sinister, and threatening with washed out desaturated color, dark shadows, ghetto-bird police cars hovering around with spotlights overhead, silhouetted figures back-lit by signs and the entrances of buildings, limited view distance, and other factors.

Variable weather, and time of day progression has already been discussed. CP 2077 will not have a static atmosphere.

Certain areas will surely have grittier, more hard-boiled aesthetic to them, but, time of day and weather can do quite a bit in and of themselves, and all the more so with current lighting models.

It's not going to be the Mario sunshine death level forever.
The weather will change.
The time of day will change.
With those, the entire mood and feel of a location you've been before can change too.
:)

Last edited:
We didn' t even saw a second Demo from the gameplay yet and we re already at the
Downgrade topic again. *sighs* I suppose everybody saw the huge Watermark in the DEMO?
"Work in Progress" aye, you guys n gals know what that means yes? I personally rather have a
Demo looking like this and might be positive surprised than the other way around.

Demo looks good so far (for a real in game demo presentation, earlier stage)
Just wait till we gonna see a more polished version of the gameplay, okay?
Don t jump into any conclusion or assumptions here.

Pretty please?
Did you actually read anything I said? It's worth doing that before assuming we're "on the downgrade topic again" or that anyone is jumping to conclusions. ;)

EDIT: I realized after the fact that this came across a bit more hostile than intended. I meant light snark/sarcasm, not anger!

Last edited:
I'm on board with Sard.
I expect we'll have a diversity of atmosphere.
We'll not only get a diversity of atmosphere as it applies to location, but, also the weather and time of day.

One location may look cheerful and bright on a clear sunny day, but, the same location at night, while it's raining, with fog, may feel claustrophobic, sinister, and threatening with washed out desaturated color, dark shadows, ghetto-bird police cars hovering around with spotlights overhead, silhouetted figures back-lit by signs and the entrances of buildings, limited view distance, and other factors.

Variable weather, and time of day progression has already been discussed. CP 2077 will not have a static atmosphere.

Certain areas will surely have grittier, more hard-boiled aesthetic to them, but, time of day and weather can do quite a bit in and of themselves, and all the more so with current lighting models.

It's not going to be the Mario sunshine death level forever.
The weather will change.
The time of day will change.
With those, the entire mood and feel of a location you've been before can change too.
:)

I definitely think atmosphere isn't going be bad. Considering this game has music what has never heard before. If they went with Synthwave its extremely atmospheric itself. Who knows we might have a most atmospheric game ever created due to it. Final Fantasy series si quite good at atmosphere imho, fun to see if Cyberpunk can beat it.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE AESTHETIC!!!

It's perfect the way it is. If you have complaints about the graphics thats another issue but the aesthetics, art and feel was PERFECT, don't change a thing.

Did you actually read anything I said? It's worth doing that before assuming we're "on the downgrade topic again" or that anyone is jumping to conclusions. ;)

EDIT: I realized after the fact that this came across a bit more hostile than intended. I meant light snark/sarcasm, not anger!

Don' t worry i read what you wrote there ;) and (just saying) befor i take any cirious offense you re more likely to get
in trouble for breaking the forum rules *smirk*

I wrote what i wrote because i am quite an old member of the community and because i was here back in 2014
and i know how fast such topics here can spiral down into a heated discussion. Hence the reason, why i wrote
don t jumo to any conclusions or assumptions >^^<. We ll see more of the game very soon, i am sure of it.
Heck even the famous rainy neony night aye? *smirk*

Last edited:
Don' t worry i read what you wrote there ;) and (just saying) befor i take any cirious offense you re more likely to get
in trouble for breaking the forum rules *smirk*

I wrote what i wrote because i am quite and old member of the community and because i was here back in 2014
and i know how fast such topics here can spiral down into a heated discussion. Hence the reason, why i wrote
don t jumo to any conclusions or assumptions >^^<. We ll see more of the game very soon, i am sure of it.
Heck even the famous rainy neony night aye? *smirk*

Yep, I remember you! I think we've talked a few times in the past. And I apologize, I misinterpreted what you said. It was more of a warning that things could get nasty rather than an analysis of what I said. Sorry about that.

And you're right, the "downgrade" topic is one that's been beaten into the ground on many, many occasions, and things do often get heated. I definitely want to avoid that, but my main point is that I don't think a downgrade will occur at all (if it does, it does, fair enough) because the graphics actually look achievable; like something current-gen consoles could run with a few optimizations.

The demo we've seen is indeed very very early, so that's why some of the textures and draw distances look blurry/bad. I expect that to improve, not get worse, by release. So, all of what I said was intended to be optimistic, not cynical. :cool:

Yep, I remember you! I think we've talked a few times in the past. And I apologize, I misinterpreted what you said. It was more of a warning that things could get nasty rather than an analysis of what I said. Sorry about that.

And you're right, the "downgrade" topic is one that's been beaten into the ground on many, many occasions, and things do often get heated. I definitely want to avoid that, but my main point is that I don't think a downgrade will occur at all (if it does, it does, fair enough) because the graphics actually look achievable; like something current-gen consoles could run with a few optimizations.

The demo we've seen is indeed very very early, so that's why some of the textures and draw distances look blurry/bad. I expect that to improve, not get worse, by release. So, all of what I said was intended to be optimistic, not cynical. :cool:

I think the downgrade issue that happened with the Witcher 3 won't happen come E3. I hope it will look closer to the trailer in terms of vibrancy but all that would be really needed is better textures, draw distance and lighting. I noticed that the trailer had a filter as well so that would definitely help too. Although I don't think much games tend to have filters.

I agree it is better to be optimistic though. There is enough cynicism in the community. We don't need more

Also. This is not everyone's favorite hedgedog movie. I know CDPR won't go back and change some aesthetics due to public outcry. They are moving forward and standing by the choices in the trailers including the one slated for E3(and that's amazing cause.they.good).

Even though it has been mentioned to have been changed quite a bit from the last trailer, it is going to be what it is going to be. I see it as a good thing because I trust a company who doesn't follow in the tracks of other studios and who has said the things they have about this game. I am glad that CDPR can watch things like this forum from a distance and get input from many viewpoints because there is still time to tweak stuff. That's one of the resons I ended up saying something on this forum after lurking for so long. I would hope that CDPR looks at what we type, hope it influences them, and helps them get through the strenuous days. Because what they are making is going to change some lives. I wouldn't be as interested in 2077 as I am if it wasn't for CDPR's take on the Cyberpunk franchise and genre. My interest in 2077 stems from the original obsession with the cyberpunk genre. Everything released so far is beautiful and no other studio can do what they have done.

As for the genre, 2077 is the actual writings come to life as much as it can be at this time IRL. 2077 is going to be what 2020 was for the genre at it's time of release and more. Who would have ever thought Cyberpunk to be a household name?

Also.
Trust in CDPR.
CDPRs got nards.

I would feel that they would have had time to build more and polish a lot, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the game looks like now, and how they have decided to tackle the sticky wicket that is net running.

Top Bottom