Why does Ragh Nar Roog exist?

+
This may come off as a personal gripe, but I'm curious what others think about it.

I ran into a ST deck that played RNR then played it back from their graveyard the next turn, so my whole round 3 was just permanent -4 points.
There is no set-up needed for this (telegraphing it), nor can you counter-play unless you have specific weather clearing cards.

However, Clear Skies is an extremely situational card now, since it used to have a multi purpose (I remember in the past you could either clear weather or draw a bronze card, something along those lines).

I know weather has never really worked well in multi-player gwent, as it's just pretty unfun to play against, but I don't understand why have this card last the whole round. Moreover, this is just a better fog (for the cost of 5 extra provision), thus with such a heavy overlap, I don't understand why they wouldn't just redesign the card into something more situational. Perhaps since it's Ragnarok, the final battle, have the whole board covered, damaging random units. This way you can play it into decks that don't mind your units taking damage.

Like I said, I know this seems like a QQ, but I hate cards like these.

Honestly, this is probably the only spell that Francesca can use to win without getting countered. As you said, not a lot of people run weather clears, so they're just taking advantage of this. I hate weather personally but I don't see anything wrong with this. Every weather clear is much cheaper; if there were more multi-purpose weather clear cards, everyone would use them and it would make weather-control completely useless.

If Ragnarok was reworked to damage random units on either side, it would suck. I think the ability is fine. The card is very expensive as well.

Edit: Making the card last 6 turns or something along those lines would probably make it more balanced.

Last edited:
That's one of my problems with it, and weather. It's either hard countered, or not. I hope they find a way to balance weather better.
Maybe have cards do things like "decrease weather length by X counts".

Weather felt fine in Witcher 3 Gwent, but it doesn't feel right, even in this homecoming iteration.

I bring the "scout" in most of my decks, but I rarely need him or have him at hand at the right times. It's a 4 point card for 5 provisions. I rarely have him at hand when I need him.

A single ragnarok row is fine, but two rows is not.

Last edited:
RNR is fine, binary design is the problem. Provisions are supporting this too.

If you put weather counter you basically win. If not, you didn't - you lose. If you put suboptimal prov.cost\points cards, your deck is weaker. If you don't, decks you didn't put counters to destroy you.

Old gwent had multiple choice cards, and you could juggle silver-gold counters without having to rebuild your deck because provision is suddenly 1 above your limit.

That's why people don't run RNR counters, and that's why weather, artifacts and prov system need rework.

Honestly cards like that are one of the many reasons why I personally believe that old gwent was better mechanic wise, since weather clear (and all other tech cards) weren't so 'If I have it, I win'. In old gwent, clear skies and Vaedmaker were more flexible, whereas now I see little to no players running weather removal, since the risk of it becoming a bricked card is not worth the reward of the value provided.

rrc

Forum veteran
Old gwent had multiple choice cards, and you could juggle silver-gold counters without having to rebuild your deck because provision is suddenly 1 above your limit.
This is a great point. We had multiple counters and none were as weak as the current counters as we have. The best thing is, we even had positive row effects. Moonlight and Golden Forth which can counter Hazards! We had silver mages who can either clear your problems or add hazard to the enemy or a random ability which will make them not a brick. If only we had these kind of options, losing to weather will not feel awful.

We should have a positive row effects. At least for 4 turns and boost a random unit by 4 on turn start for 8 provisions. It would be good addition for the game. I think someone should create a suggestion thread about this.

This is a great point. We had multiple counters and none were as weak as the current counters as we have. The best thing is, we even had positive row effects. Moonlight and Golden Forth which can counter Hazards! We had silver mages who can either clear your problems or add hazard to the enemy or a random ability which will make them not a brick. If only we had these kind of options, losing to weather will not feel awful.
We also had multiple rows to just evade the effect. If it was a hole-side-effect, you could concentrate your force at 1 row to minimize the damage.

That's one of my problems with it, and weather. It's either hard countered, or not. I hope they find a way to balance weather better.
Maybe have cards do things like "decrease weather length by X counts".

Weather felt fine in Witcher 3 Gwent, but it doesn't feel right, even in this homecoming iteration.

Those cards actually exist.

I'm not sure if Ragh is op or not. Personally, I think maining one Clear Sky or something with a Clear Sky effect is integral.

I've come across a lot of decks who main multiple weather cards and locks so to that end 1 Clear Sky and 1 Summer Solstice go in any deck I can fit them in (not very hard to do given they're both 4 provision cards).

I played Fran last night that played RNR on both rows in the third round. I didn't have any counters to the weather.

I still won.

I don't. Taking double RNR and then losing means really bad gameplay decisions from opponent. Maybe he was just trying out Fran deck.

I don't. Taking double RNR and then losing means really bad gameplay decisions from opponent. Maybe he was just trying out Fran deck.

Not necessarily. There are some counters to getting hit with weather. Also I never said it was a 10 card round. I believe I drained her in the first round and I had final say in a shorter last round.

It's just another removal play. That's all the game is these days. Boost something? removed. Boost over time? locked.

Boring, as shit.

edit

Oh! I forget reset...

Yep. But to be fair with truly imba bullshit like Olaf, Tower, etc, you have to run mass destroy.

Imo Muzzle is just imba. Cards that steal other cards are not okay. That shouldn't be a mechanic.

Oh my God, I absolutely hate NG steal!!! Even more than no unit ST.....just....

I do seem to come out ok vs Ardal/Sweers/Muzzle et al, as around Rank 9/10 people are mostly using netdecks so don't quite play the game well enough. As soon as the leader ability is used on something crap like a Longship or Harpy Egg, you know youre probaby gonna win! However, I reckon at higher ranks Ardal is going to start to appear more and more.

Oh my God, I absolutely hate NG steal!!! Even more than no unit ST.....just....

I do seem to come out ok vs Ardal/Sweers/Muzzle et al, as around Rank 9/10 people are mostly using netdecks so don't quite play the game well enough. As soon as the leader ability is used on something crap like a Longship or Harpy Egg, you know youre probaby gonna win! However, I reckon at higher ranks Ardal is going to start to appear more and more.

He's pretty good at high rank but I have more issues with Skellige decks.

Top Bottom