Purifying Arnjolf

+

Is Purifying Arnjolf and Reviving Him an Okay Interaction?

• Total voters
I started using a Skellige deck with Arnjolf and I noticed that this leader can actually be purified and revived/summoned with Renew or Sigrdrifa's Rite. You can pretty much play your leader twice and it gives you such a huge advantage because you either get 11 points or 9 points with 3 damaged enemy units. I have not played against anyone that has done this before so I thought was pretty interesting. I wonder what y'all think of this interaction. I personally don't feel like it's over-powered but it certainly doesn't feel right. I think it definitely catches people by surprise.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Haha yeaaah, thankfully i haven't gone up against Monsters or Nilfgaard. Just ST and NR which I'm glad lol.

Honestly I probably won't try it just because using your leader in the first or second round is generally a bad idea. It's going to cost you point in the end.

I posted a deck in gwentup before discard package and witchers was not yet nerfed. basically thin to 0 then play Arnjolf then Decoy to instantly fill one row. It was specially good against row locked units or use Arnjolf in round 1 then Decoy to shuffle him back in the deck and play him later to enable bloodthirst again.

That actually sounds pretty cool. Do you get the harpies a second time?

I had kind of a similar idea where I'd play Germain twice and then purify all the cows with the 4 provision special. That could get your bearmasters to like 17 points each, which you could play again with freyas and necromancy.

I feel it is unfair because of inconsistency. "Doomed" ability is part of Arnjolf and he is not supposed to end up in graveyard, similarly like locked card is not supposed to keep its lock in graveyard. If "doomed" is possible to "workaround graveyard", for consistency, graveyard should then keep lock of died units. Either cards should be consistent and work with graveyard like "intendend" or they should be possible to workaround, but it should be similar approach in both cases.

• RED Point
Honestly I probably won't try it just because using your leader in the first or second round is generally a bad idea. It's going to cost you point in the end.

That's the thing, you are able to use the leader ability twice if you have the right tools. I'm surprised at how well it worked honestly. Maybe try making a deck for testing on casual? I'd post the deck but I honestly wouldn't want people using it since I think it's a little nuts.
Post automatically merged:

I feel it is unfair because of inconsistency. "Doomed" ability is part of Arnjolf and he is not supposed to end up in graveyard, similarly like locked card is not supposed to keep its lock in graveyard. If "doomed" is possible to "workaround graveyard", for consistency, graveyard should then keep lock of died units. Either cards should be consistent and work with graveyard like "intendend" or they should be possible to workaround, but it should be similar approach in both cases.

That is a very fair point. Maybe Purify shouldn't take away the Doomed status, that's an easy fix I think.

That actually sounds pretty cool. Do you get the harpies a second time?

I had kind of a similar idea where I'd play Germain twice and then purify all the cows with the 4 provision special. That could get your bearmasters to like 17 points each, which you could play again with freyas and necromancy.

If you use Renew, he basically does the same thing he would normally do, so yes. If you use Sig's Rite, he is just 11 points. Both are really strong honestly.

I've actually seen people use that before! I was able to kill the cows so I didn't get to see how strong it would have been. Pretty spooky combo though.

I posted a deck in gwentup before discard package and witchers was not yet nerfed. basically thin to 0 then play Arnjolf then Decoy to instantly fill one row. It was specially good against row locked units or use Arnjolf in round 1 then Decoy to shuffle him back in the deck and play him later to enable bloodthirst again.

That's an interesting idea but I think you'd lose more value than actually gaining value, no? Sounds pretty cool though. There's honestly a handful of interesting things Skellige can do over the rest of the factions.

Last edited:
That's the thing, you are able to use the leader ability twice if you have the right tools. I'm surprised at how well it worked honestly. Maybe try making a deck for testing on casual? I'd post the deck but I honestly wouldn't want people using it since I think it's a little nuts.

But you aren't actually using the leader ability twice. The second time you do it, it's a card play from your hand. You aren't getting the leader ability on top of your hand like you usually do.

• RED Point
That's an interesting idea but I think you'd lose more value than actually gaining value, no? Sounds pretty cool though. There's honestly a handful of interesting things Skellige can do over the rest of the factions.

Against swarming decks, you will gain more value because you deny them unit space on that row especially when your opponent runs row oriented units. Sadly this combo can't be done anymore. It seems like no one noticed that doomed got nerfed. Before doomed triggers when entering the graveyard but now it triggers when it leaves the board so the only way to perform the combo is purify first then decoy.

rrc

Forum veteran
As much as I hate SK and all the 'we always get more value than the provisions cost' by every single card played by them, Arnjolf and purify seems totally not worth to do it. To reliably be able to do it, you have to get the purify unit in hand in R1 (or R2, but R2 is unreliable as it may be necessary that you have to dry pass) and Renew in hand (for the BT or SigRite for just summon) in R3. While consistency and reliability is what SK's one of many faction identities, you will have to lose those tools if you want to reliably get the Purifying unit in hand in R1.

SK can do sooooooooooooooooooo much more so easily that this will be a meme deck in SK's standard. So, I vote NO. :beer:

I think this is exactly the type of interactive and fun gameplay and tactics we actually want to see in Gwent. Some Cards that require set up to be strong and unique, not the 1000th lock + removal spam.

Top Bottom