Now that the only Tier 1 ST leader is butchered, I hope CDPR is happy, content and rests in peace

+

rrc

Forum veteran
MO and SK had been (and still is) Tier 1 and dominating factions from the beginning. After more than 8 months, MO has been made a little weak (and is still dominant in Pro Rank) and SK is still super strong. When Eithnè became strong for the first time, challenging SK and MO, it has been butchered. Let's just see how cruelly ST was treated.

Eithné provisions reduced and all the cards she used was increased in provisions (Regis:BL, Ifrit, Sheldon) or reduced in power (Knight, Sirissa). The neutral control cards nerfs alone would have sufficed and reduced Eithnè's power. But no, she has to be nerfed and Faction specific cards were also nerfed. So, it is a six way nerf for her. The result? Spyro tried Eithnè and checked if she was still viable. After multiple attempts and saying "If I am losing one more game, I will quit" and guess what? He lost and switched faction.

While the control was too much and horrible and deserved nerf, neutral nerfs alone should have controlled the control.

Eithné and her faction cards should have been left alone so that she still had a fighting chance to be strong. Why does CDPR hate ST this much? Seriously was Sirissa nerf even needed? She was the only ST card who *could* break even (I have played her for 6 points many times) and she was also nerfed.

I tend to believe that if an ST deck becomes a little popular in pro rank, there will be a red bulb and a loud alarm will play in CDPR office so that they immediately have to nerf the hell out of that deck.

Now, let's see the treatment SK got. Bran and Coral got nerfed and to compensate for that there was a looooong list of buffs. Svalblod was given so many buffs, provision buff for him and most of his core cards were buffed. The priest buff was not even necessary (he was already good) and now the only way to kill him is with a tall unit removal. Shieldmaiden gave him another 2 provisions.

It is like CDPR wants everyone (at least the pro players) to quit playing ST. Someone asked the question "Why would CDPR want to make a faction weak? They will see all the factions equally and neutrally". But most of their actions doesn't seem to indicate that way. Someone extremely influential hates ST to the core. When Brouver became prominent in pro ladder, he was nerfed in provisions. So, according to CDPR, there is not a single leader in SK who is stronger than Brouver??? And yet, in any pro streamers we only see SK or MO and never see a Brouver.

Just think about it. ST has never had two consecutive months presence in pro ladder. If it becomes prevalent, it just gets nerfed. But MO and SK can be (and is and will be) most prevalent and dominant in Pro ladders and CDPR just gives a blind eye to them.

Also, another food for thought. When ever SK leader gets nerfed, another SK leader will get buffed. When Harald was nerfed, Bran was buffed, When Bran was nerfed, Harald gets buffed (in fact, I predicted that this would happen. I mentioned in an old Post that when Bran gets nerfed I was afraid that Harald would be buffed). When Birna was nerfed, Coral was given a God mode. When Coral was nerfed again, a whole bunch of cards gets buffed.

Ok.. ranted enough for one post. More to come till ST gets a just treatment.

Last edited:
Totally agree with you rrc as a fellow hardcore ST main. I'm really triggered that the first faction to over-nerf with supersonic speed is Scoia and this $hit is happening since closed beta.

In a more general note, aside from traps, Scoia has lost so much of its bamboozle flavor in homecoming with the buff this and damage that only "archetype".

Ok so I was tired trying to make NG work, so just tried a couple of games with my Brouver.

ST_strong.JPG

No problem. ST are still the more versatile faction, lot of controls, carryovers and nice engines. ST nerfs were logical, Skaggs nerf is not even a nerf. I think you are too focused on ST and not very objective.

An appropriate rant would be against that so called "Nilfgaard update". Not much better than a week ago, except that Alba pikeman (not very original, just copy stuff from NR).

Ok so I was tired trying to make NG work, so just tried a couple of games with my Brouver.

No problem. ST are still the more versatile faction, lot of controls, carryovers and nice engines. ST nerfs were logical, Skaggs nerf is not even a nerf. I think you are too focused on ST and not very objective.

An appropriate rant would be against that so called "Nilfgaard update". Not much better than a week ago, except that Alba pikeman (not very original, just copy stuff from NR).

I didn't say that ST is not playable. Brouver with the traps & movement package is great. Fila handbuff, although too boring for my tastes is good too. The Dana harmony / engine decks are ok. I don't understand the nerf to Eithne and Sirssa though. As rcc wrote, the huge problem was the cheap neutral removal which was almost in every deck, not just in Eithne's.

As for the NG update, I think that with all these bronze card changes even the shittiest NG leader is more playable now. Plus NG has still the most unique card effects in its golds and leaders. Don't tell me that Ardal isn't good and almost op against most engine decks out there.

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc
You are a bit too early yelling wolf, when the meta has not yet manifested itself. Here is the actual pro ladder list https://masters.playgwent.com/en/rankings/pro-rank/season-12
From the top 20 players, we can barely tell what the best faction is, as all factions seems to be playable.

From what I have experienced, playing NR from rank 5 to 2 is that I saw much more Eithne that Woodland, and that was kinda surprising for a change. With engines finally being playable again, control will take its place in the meta and so will Eithne or control NG see more play, depending which of these two are most competitive (ST defenitly stands a better chance here). Regarding Woodland, SK or NG; NR still has an upper edge with Henselt. Thus, control will still be needed in the current meta.

Although you (RRC) are right by pointing out that ST lacks behind in terms of value/pointlam on the same competitive level as monsters or SK (and maybe NG?).

Also, does anyone else thinks that MO deserves a buff? Its basically the last faction I want to play at this moment, despite the fact that I've been playing the faction all but the last two seasons. (Last season was pretty enjoyable wrecking big woodland with dethblow (value) Eithne).

As RRC is pointing out the weakness in ST by citing a streamer, I will cite another streamer in my defense as well, who considers the monsters to be weak.

Last edited:
I still try to use Eithne (currenctly at rank 4). She isn't doing quite as well as I remember.

My biggest issue is Eithne herself. 4 single arrows seems really really weak compared to the huge finishers and such from the other leaders. At least give her one more arrow.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
You're already preaching to the converted here. I believe the intention is that NR and ST must be weaker than the other three. I would like to see the witchers receive significant boosts in every way. Geralt should be in every players deck apart from Monsters, obviously. Or something like GERALT (deathwish:Random card) Boost an opponents card by Geralts provision cost. So that MO could still use Geralt but, it will boost an opponents card as a result. Lore dictates Geralt shouldn't be in a MO faction, period. If Geralt is in any of the other factions (not mosnters) then the cards deathwish is not triggered.

As for the state of play for ST. Yeh the devs don't like ST getting too much success as it will upset all the SK and NG/MO players. Having said all that. Blancing this game is a nightmare and it's constantly changing.

Give all the cards more points!

I constructed a Brouver deck and only lost 1/10 games with it, and the only traps it has are 2x Crushing Trap. I think the element of surprise is under appreciated. If you can go against what’s expected but still pack a punch, it can do wonders. You can see my yt channel for more details on the deck but it’s done me well.

Seems like the Nilfgaard update was all about Anna. I think Anna now is quite probably a tier 1 leader, having all Nilfgaard changes adapted to her playstyles and decktypes.

Looking into the season start pro-rankings, there are alot more Nilfgaard decks there than expected. Is this due to Anna? Are these Anna decks? Not sure, but I can't imagine that many of them are the other leaders.

BTW. Same rankings showed more ST decks up there than has been the case previous seasons. But yeah, it's season start, it might change towards the end of the season, let's see.

Let's look at the current state of ST:

- Dana harmony is basically destroyed completely, it's not even tier 3 now. Not only harmony was nerfed for some reason, it's also easy to counter and hard to play.
While Dana without harmony is too weak because she can't use enough neutrals. She allows some unique plays (like agalis + garrison as last play), but those plays are not nearly enough to win against a proper deck. Just imagine it, a new leader from the expansion was playable for only a month(!) before becoming utterly useless.

- Eithne was nerfed so hard you might as well use Brouver instead and lose nothing of value. Her "control" now lacks firepower to control properly built decks, because at first her ability was nerfed hard, and then her provision was effectively nerfed even harder, making her less useful in all possible for a leader ways.
She surely can still stop average decks, but it's hardly an achievement.

- Fila is relatively untouched since the beginning. It's explained by the fact he never was strong enough to be a threat. A nice average leader for beginners, but nothing great. He's only good until you meet good decks from other factions which will destroy him on spot even with bad draws.

- Eldain can potentially stop your opponent plans, if you are able to perfectly predict his plays and counter them flawlessly with traps. But there is a reason why he isn't in meta: not even pro players can do it reliably.

- Francesca is supposed to have a very powerful ability - she even has lowest provision. Her ability is surely very fun, she's able to create unique combos.
Yet somehow she isn't in meta, and wasn't there for a loooong time. Why? Because her ability only looks powerful when you don't play for her. When you do, you won't be able to beat amazing synergies used by top decks just by using a spell twice.

- Finally, Brouver is the strongest these days because he wasn't nerfed directly (yet) and because his ability actually has synergies with many units and traps - unlike Fancesca for instance. And even then he's weaker than other top decks except NR.

So yeah, if you play for ST and not for Brouver, you will likely have a bad time. That is, until Brouver will be nerfed somehow as well.

- Francesca is supposed to have a very powerful ability - she even has lowest provision. Her ability is surely very fun, she's able to create unique combos.
Yet somehow she isn't in meta, and wasn't there for a loooong time. Why? Because her ability only looks powerful when you don't play for her. When you do, you won't be able to beat amazing synergies used by top decks just by using a spell twice.

I just want to say that the new Deithwen Arbalest ability completely shuts down Francesca. It's so absurdly unfair.
I have no problem with tech cards and counters being available to players... but they should come with a risk or trade-off. That's not what's happening here though, this is a 4 provision card! You are risking absolutely nothing by including it in your deck, and it could single-handedly win you a game by shutting down the entire strategy of a Francesca (or any big monster) player. It's just another reason why nobody can run Francesca, for fear of some 4 provision bronzes :[

I'm really disappointed in the card design team who keeps printing these super binary cards without much thought behind them.

I just want to say that the new Deithwen Arbalest ability completely shuts down Francesca. It's so absurdly unfair.

I'm really disappointed in the card design team who keeps printing these super binary cards without much thought behind them.

What are you talking about? Most people who play Francesca plays the same card twice in a row, leaving no time for Arbalest to banish the card. Deithwen Arbalest is a good card. About time Nilfgaard have some decent low provision card. It's not a very good card, but it can be useful.

Most people who play Francesca plays the same card twice in a row
Is this your observation or is it some official statistic?

My observation is, that most people, who I saw to play Francesca deck, do not play same card twice right away. However I present it as my observation, while you present it as a fact, so there should be something to back up your statement.

Is this your observation or is it some official statistic?

My observation is, that most people, who I saw to play Francesca deck, do not play same card twice right away. However I present it as my observation, while you present it as a fact, so there should be something to back up your statement.

At least 90% of the people I've played with the deck double plays it, making graveyard banish no issue at all. And many of them and many of those 10% who do not, have at least 2 useful special cards in their deck.

When HC came out I used Garrison on Aglais and went up the ladder. I blabbed about it on the ST forum but it soon become a known thing. They tweaked Aglais a little bitm but nothing too major. Naturally playing Aglais last card and boosting her to beyond 20 points is a bit much. Don't know if other decks have this sort of power playing their last card.

I don't think Scoia-Tael is that bad in the meta right now. Their nemesis- big monsters, was significantly weakened and is rarely encountered this season. The reduction of big monsters had wide implications on the meta, with Northern Realms, which used to prey on monsters, being less useful as a result. A season or two ago, big monsters was a free win for decks like Meve engines and Adda Hubert, but now with few big monsters decks around to feed them, those northern realms decks are out of the meta, even without being nerfed much themselves. On the flip side, big monsters used to prey on Scoia-Tael, and now that they are mostly gone, Scoia-Tael is rampant in pro ladder. The only decks that really threaten Scoia-Tael now are big Svalblod, Arnjolf, and Arachas Queen. Svalblod is overpowered; Scoia-Tael is fairly balanced. Scoia-Tael is advantaged in most matchups against northern realms and Nilfgaard. Scoia-Tael is also good against other control decks like Crach.

Top Bottom