Nilfgaard - Relentlessly Boring

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not the card itself, or the deck, it’s the amount of boring copycats. There’s no variation in the game anymore.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@mzeebra My comment is based on my experience. This deck, with these NG cards i mentioned rose in popularity when the underdog leader challenge started, so around 2 weeks ago.

I must have played around 100 matches in those 2 weeks (of which like 70 were on casual), and from those 70, 40 must have been NG, and of those 40, like 35 were this EXACT deck.

You not using this deck doesnt change this fact. Im also not using it, opting for other weird NG decks, but the majority of players are using it.

It’s not the card itself, or the deck, it’s the amount of boring copycats. There’s no variation in the game anymore.

That's very true. Maybe more so for Nilfgaard than other factions even. Although there are the predictable Scoia'Tael decks as well.

I don't think this game is well suited for "android" type players though. If you just copy decks and don't understand the game really, you wount get very far in the end.
Post automatically merged:

This deck, with these NG cards i mentioned rose in popularity when the underdog leader challenge started, so around 2 weeks ago.

Well, I saw quite alot of it before that as well.

DRK3

Forum veteran

True. The viper witcher trio has been very popular since Letho got this current ability. But the irony is the decrease in diversity in NG decks came this month, after the Nilfgaard Update which was meant to give identity to the faction.

Even more ironic, Morvran was the NG Leader that was changed, because he wasnt popular, but now im guessing he's even less played, since Calveit rose in popularity, so now Morvran is probably the least played NG Leader...

so now Morvran is probably the least played NG Leader...

Yeah, I think so to. Sadly. He is suppose to be the "main" Nilfgaard leader. They need to fix reveal somehow, make it more informative and useful. That train might be gone though, but I'm hoping they will make a new and great reveal, it's an awesome game mechanic for gwent.

I deliberately build a NG deck without the usual cards and it CAN be interesting. My swap outs are Curse for Leo, Helge for Assire, Damien for Roach and I also use 2 x Petri for Jonny/Damien insta-play.

The problem is I still face NG bore-decks about 70% of the time!

That's very true. Maybe more so for Nilfgaard than other factions even. Although there are the predictable Scoia'Tael decks as well.

I don't think this game is well suited for "android" type players though. If you just copy decks and don't understand the game really, you wount get very far in the end.
Post automatically merged:

It's doesn't' take long to understand the game. Using a strong deck is extremely important.

It's doesn't' take long to understand the game. Using a strong deck is extremely important.

I have 3 strong decks, all Nilfgaard, and I never even looked into netdecking, all made by myself, all quite different.

It does take awhile to really learn the game, to be able to freely combine cards into decks and make them strong. I'm still learning that, and I've only played NR and NG thus far, and I only really know this process (somewhat well) with Nilfgaard.

Last edited:
I have 3 strong decks, all Nilfgaard, and I never even looked into netdecking, all made by myself, all quite different.

It does take awhile to really learn the game, to be able to freely combine cards into decks and make them strong. I'm still learning that, and I've only played NR and NG thus far, and I only really know this process (somewhat well) with Nilfgaard.

I feel like we switched subjects. I wasn't making a comment on how many strong NG decks you can create. I was commenting that using the strongest deck possible is vastly important to increasing your chances of winning.

Guest 4339135

What is going to be done about Nilfgaard? It's absolutely without question the most boring faction to play against.

It doesn't matter which boring leader is used, it's always the same cards. It's always Assire/Roach. It's always Letho/Auckes/Serrit, It's always Shilard, it's always Muzzle and Sweers but the real problem with playing it is it REALLY highlights how reliant this game is on a) the deal and b) the cointoss. Other players may be able to tell me - I can't play NG as I don't have the scraps to create the same boring deck, so no point in trying - but the deal always seems hugely biased in favour of NG. By that I mean my opponent almost always has Assire, Shilard and at least two from Auckes/Letho/Serrit - does anyone share this bias experience? As someone playing with the faction, do you see a favourable deal quite regularly?

Anybody else finding it incredibly boring playing against this? I don't mind playing against any other faction because there's variety (not much, but some), but NG is the same game on repeat. Bear in mind how many cards the game has it seems almost embarrassing that every NG player chooses the exact same 25 cards. Broke as ****-peddlars!

CDPR had announced a big NG change with the last patch. But the same thing as always happened with such proclamations...nothing really changed. Some card changes and that's all.
The soldier archetype got a little buff, but the leader for soldiers - Morvran - is really bad, so nobody plays him. The other changes for tactics and spies don't really help their archetypes, they are still weak. And another important archetype for NG - the reveal archetype - was completely cancelled.
So the only way to play NG now is the same way like it was played before. Only Sweers is a new card in this decks.
I don't know why it's so hard to support the NG archetypes.

The other problem with NG is, that they always get weaker cards and leaders than the other factions.
For example:
- The Menagerie Keepers: 5 prov. for possible 6 points when the condition is fullfilled --> SK has the same card for 4 prov.
- Imperia Brigade: 3 point card for 6 prov. --> every other faction has a better one (dwarfs: 3 for 5 prov. - wild hunt riders: 3 for 5 prov. - blue stripe commandos: 4 for 6 prov. and SK has a 4 for 6 prov. too)

Only some examples why NG is so boring, because most cards are so weak and useless.

I feel like we switched subjects. I wasn't making a comment on how many strong NG decks you can create. I was commenting that using the strongest deck possible is vastly important to increasing your chances of winning.

And I am just confirming/saying that it is possible to do that without any netdecking. And without using netdecking is in my opinion the best way to learn the game.

I'm also saying it is possible to make strong Nilgaard decks without using any of the cards mentioned here, or very few. And I am saying that there is a rich variety of Nilgaard tactics. I alone use at least 2, maybe 3, and I've only used 3 leaders thus far.

NG is still my favourite faction and I love making unusual decks that people wouldn’t have seen before. Unfortunately the problem is with the many copycats out there who play the same decks over and over. I can’t see a solution to this though.

And I am just confirming/saying that it is possible to do that without any netdecking. And without using netdecking is in my opinion the best way to learn the game.

Whether it's net decked or not doesn't matter.

You learn the game by playing it. Making your own decks only matters if you are trying to increase your skill with making decks.

I'm also saying it is possible to make strong Nilgaard decks without using any of the cards mentioned here, or very few. And I am saying that there is a rich variety of Nilgaard tactics. I alone use at least 2, maybe 3, and I've only used 3 leaders thus far.

I'm not sure how you can confidently make that claim when you (from what I remember) aren't high rank.

I'm not sure how you can confidently make that claim when you (from what I remember) aren't high rank.

Well, I don't want to boast, but with these recent Nilfgaard decks, I got pretty close to the rank you said that you were. 1 of them got stuck at one point, so I'm not sure about its quality at my current rank. But at the very least it was a pretty good deck.

I actually take it back - it's not NG that's relentlessly dull, it's the ENTIRE GAME that is relentlessly dull; it's a not-very-random series of "do I have a decent deal, or do I get an ass-hand while my opponent rocks up with 15 golds in the first two rounds". There's no middle ground, no fun play. It's nothing to hit, or nothing to play with. Every deck is META, or close to, so it's all in the deal you get. Strategy game my ass - UNO has more strategy than this steaming pile of turd.

I actually take it back - it's not NG that's relentlessly dull, it's the ENTIRE GAME that is relentlessly dull; it's a not-very-random series of "do I have a decent deal, or do I get an ass-hand while my opponent rocks up with 15 golds in the first two rounds". There's no middle ground, no fun play. It's nothing to hit, or nothing to play with. Every deck is META, or close to, so it's all in the deal you get. Strategy game my ass - UNO has more strategy than this steaming pile of turd.

It is a card game actually. All card games are strategic, even the simplest ones, and all of them have randomness and luck as well. Just depending on which card it is, those 3 factors are more or less prominent on a pie chart. I think Gwent is one of the cardgames with the highest strategy factors.

Deck building is the art of Gwent, and those people who just netdeck, miss that whole aspect of the game.

Well, I don't want to boast, but with these recent Nilfgaard decks, I got pretty close to the rank you said that you were. 1 of them got stuck at one point, so I'm not sure about its quality at my current rank. But at the very least it was a pretty good deck.

So are you rank 3?

I'm currently 0 which is when I stopped playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom