Stop special card decks!!

+
The artifact variant is by far the most tame variant. Why? Because most artifacts are trash 1 point per turn cards and things like Thunderbolt interfere with tall removal.

The real threat for "unitless" is Woodland mass spell.

They run 4 monsters, 1 Aracha's Nest and 1 real artifact in the form of Tainted Ale and crap all over most decks. Why?

Well there's 2 reasons.

1) They can run all sorts of tall removal. 7 tall removal cards total. That is an insane amount of "destroy" cards which bypass immunity and shield.

2) Woodland Spirit gives a 8 point buff to a unit in hand. It takes things like Old Speartip and Goliat and makes them such strong finishers that they become unfair.

The Werewolf immunity is inconsequential since they're only used as finishers anyhow, or at least only used after tall removal like Pandemic and Predatory Instinct has been used.

The deck doesn't even care about about Summoning Circle.

If you run into a weather spam, artifact spam unitless deck, you can win by swarming faster than the deck can remove units.

If you run into Woodland Spirit unitless, it's a true imbalance.

The solution is to reduce the provisions that Woodland Spirit supplies and increase the provisions for non-gold tall removal such as Epidemic and Predatory Instinct. Or make Epidemic and Predatory Instinct gold cards without changing their provision cost combined with a provision nerf for Woodland Spirit would be enough.

Giving Artifacts points and making them "targetable" won't matter to any good "unitless" deck and frankly, has nothing to do with the real balance issues when it comes to unitless decks. It probably should be done regardless as a QoL change, however.

Last edited:
So, I did not play for weeks, due to meeting 3 unitless decks out of my last 5 matches.

Guess what my first match was when returning today? You guessed it, a unitless deck.

This is getting REAL bad now, spoiling the game.

So, I did not play for weeks, due to meeting 3 unitless decks out of my last 5 matches.

Guess what my first match was when returning today? You guessed it, a unitless deck.

This is getting REAL bad now, spoiling the game.

Get used to it, bud, as I think it's going to become more and more popular. The point of it is that the game is pretty horrible when all you see is unit/counter/unit/counter/unit/counter. Until it's balanced and you can build strategy, think more (i.e. until they stop every card being able to damage/remove any other card), play smarter, it will not change.

I played a really basic NR unitless with Foltest and easily posted up 60% win rate, because all the "I'm gonna kill yo cards" decks had nothing to do. Only lost because a) terrible deal and b)Woodland!!

Get used to it, bud, as I think it's going to become more and more popular. The point of it is that the game is pretty horrible when all you see is unit/counter/unit/counter/unit/counter. Until it's balanced and you can build strategy, think more (i.e. until they stop every card being able to damage/remove any other card), play smarter, it will not change.

I played a really basic NR unitless with Foltest and easily posted up 60% win rate, because all the "I'm gonna kill yo cards" decks had nothing to do. Only lost because a) terrible deal and b)Woodland!!

This is completely rotten. I'm seeing more and more of this. That trend weeks ago where I met so many, seems to be the new norm now. Not that dramatic, but I get these rotten not-unit hands often. It's just not fun.

if it continues I think I'll give up this game permanently. It's just boring that way, it's against the game purpose and intentions and it's annoying to play this games. Just annoying and boring. Who wants to play a game that is annoying and boring? Not me, and I know alot of others who think so too.

This is completely rotten. I'm seeing more and more of this. That trend weeks ago where I met so many, seems to be the new norm now. Not that dramatic, but I get these rotten not-unit hands often. It's just not fun.

if it continues I think I'll give up this game permanently. It's just boring that way, it's against the game purpose and intentions and it's annoying to play this games. Just annoying and boring. Who wants to play a game that is annoying and boring? Not me, and I know alot of others who think so too.

You're annoyed now because this particular gamestyle is bad, and you're absolutely right. The worrying thing is when Homecoming launched it 'annoyed' Beta players - not all, but a majority. Some stuck with it and a few months later it started to 'annoy' those who stayed around (me). Now it's 'annoying' newcomers!

The problem is it's a broken game. Most of it is "annoying", because the game is 90% focused on damaging and removing cards as quickly as possible. Everything happens too quickly - play a card with orders? Nerf it. Play a card with vitality? Kill that too.

Gwent in my opinion would be much more engaging with a bigger board, another row and visuals to confirm you're playing a BOARD GAME and not in some weird card "war". But that's off topic. Back ON topic, unless you make it much more difficult to remove cards, therefore temper both the effects of cards on attack and those on defence, you are going to ALWAYS focus on attack. Human nature. And there is nothing more offensive (in both senses of the word) than a unitless deck, because nothing about it is defence - it's just attack, attack, attack.

The unitless disrupts an awful lot of the rest of the game too - Ardal's the most obvious example, but what are Harald, Add, Bran, etc., doing against Unitless? Nothing - so you're in effect allowing Usurper's ability because unitless renders a number of leaders useless.

CDPR are on VERY thin ice at the moment. Their choice is to reinvest time in making the cross-platform Gwent back into something good that can grow, or throw everything at mobile, make a little coin then throw it away. Mobile is short term, and my guess is that's what they'll do - bleed it for every last $ then move on.

You're annoyed now because this particular gamestyle is bad, and you're absolutely right. The worrying thing is when Homecoming launched it 'annoyed' Beta players - not all, but a majority. Some stuck with it and a few months later it started to 'annoy' those who stayed around (me). Now it's 'annoying' newcomers!

The problem is it's a broken game. Most of it is "annoying", because the game is 90% focused on damaging and removing cards as quickly as possible. Everything happens too quickly - play a card with orders? Nerf it. Play a card with vitality? Kill that too.

Gwent in my opinion would be much more engaging with a bigger board, another row and visuals to confirm you're playing a BOARD GAME and not in some weird card "war". But that's off topic. Back ON topic, unless you make it much more difficult to remove cards, therefore temper both the effects of cards on attack and those on defence, you are going to ALWAYS focus on attack. Human nature. And there is nothing more offensive (in both senses of the word) than a unitless deck, because nothing about it is defence - it's just attack, attack, attack.

The unitless disrupts an awful lot of the rest of the game too - Ardal's the most obvious example, but what are Harald, Add, Bran, etc., doing against Unitless? Nothing - so you're in effect allowing Usurper's ability because unitless renders a number of leaders useless.

CDPR are on VERY thin ice at the moment. Their choice is to reinvest time in making the cross-platform Gwent back into something good that can grow, or throw everything at mobile, make a little coin then throw it away. Mobile is short term, and my guess is that's what they'll do - bleed it for every last $ then move on.

Well, I started playing back in January or thereabouts, with the post-beta version of the game. I never saw any no-units deck until quite recently, it was never an issue. It's becoming an issue.

I agree about the 3 rows, but that's not really a critical issue at all, it's not even bothersome, just something to dream about. But I doubt it will change back.

Well listen, there are annoying things in the game, sure, but those are within reasonable situations. Take playing Northern Realms against Skellige as an example. Horribly annoying. But then you don't have to play Northern Realms, and not against Skellige, so you can easily avoid the issue. There are many annoying tactics in the game, some quite sad and just cringeworthy ones, but hey, that's ok, as long as it's in the spirit of the game and not glitchy or buggy or exploity or anti-gwenty or devestatingly boring and annoying for the majority of players. It is to be expected that some people use cringeworthy tactics, but that's things like the blue stripe commando desperado or super control freaks (I'm partly a control freak with my Usurper deck), or borderline bug like decks like phoenix copies or double gold replays, or double ragnarok. But all those things are bygons, it's not destroying the game and it's not widespread.

Special card/nounit decks is becoming widespread, and if it is allowed so, it probably will destroy this game.

I've changed my mind. These decks are not only destroying the game, they are disgusting and I don't know if this is ok to say on the forum, but using them is pathetic.

It's like camping inside glitchy walls on a shooting game, where you can shoot others, but they cannot shoot you.

It's not what Gwent is about, but ofcourse, some players will do anything, including sinking to record lows to try to "win". Sorry if I offend someone by telling the hard truth. Probably I will get punished here for doing that, but I don't care anymore. It's so unsportsmanlike to try to find any game weakness to try to exploit it to win. If you do that to have them fix the game it's something else entirely.

Edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like camping inside glitchy walls on a shooting game, where you can shoot others, but they cannot shoot you.

First, I think when you plays a card, your whish is that card still alive. Criticize the tactics who get that is not consistent.
Also is not true. If you d´ont play units you can win a round.

It's not what Gwent is about, but ofcourse, some players will do anything, including sinking to record lows to try to "win". Sorry if I offend someone by telling the hard truth. Probably I will get punished here for doing that, but I don't care anymore. It's so unsportsmanlike to try to find any game weakness to try to exploit it to win. If you do that to have them fix the game it's something else entirely.

All the unitless decks are weak (a lot of times saying this). If you d´ont win them at least in the 75% of the matches, I am sorry but you need to think how to increase your player level.
The advantage of the unitless decks are the speed of games. In less time you can play most matches and made most contracts and level up faster.

You need to understand that is not a winning deck. Not TIER 1, not TIER 2, not TIER 3.... nothing. This type of deck is legal. If really is a exploit of game for win, all people plays that. But not happens.

You want to find some exploit for win? Make the same thing that 95% of players, copy a META deck. Is very funny to look all players whit the same decks and very good for the game!!!

PD: Play against a unitless decks is a gift. Including if you lose, you win at least one round, in less time. When the players of the unitless decks can´t construct them, more copys of TIER decks arrival in the game.

All the unitless decks are weak (a lot of times saying this). If you d´ont win them at least in the 75% of the matches, I am sorry but you need to think how to increase your player level.

It's not about strength or weakness, the deck is completely anti-gwent, anti-game, anti-play. It's infecting the whole game now. I wouldn't care if it was a rare thing, but it's more and more often now.

I'd hate it if all my opponents were Eldain trap deck as well. Regardless of wins or losses. It's (unitless) the annoyance and the sadness of people actually playing like that. Like others have said it, I also say it, it's just not fun.

I have increased my player level recently, so that's not why I am complaining about an absolutely unsportsmanlike, anti-gwent, anti-game deck which is against the very spirit and purpose of the game. It feels like playing against glitchers and cheaters. The way Gwent is constructed, it is comparable to a guy using a shooting game wall glitch.

Last edited:
It's not about strength or weakness, the deck is completely anti-gwent, anti-game, anti-play. It's infecting the whole game now. I wouldn't care if it was a rare thing, but it's more and more often now.

I'd hate it if all my opponents were Eldain trap deck as well. Regardless of wins or losses. It's the annoyance and the sadness of people actually playing like that. Like others have said it, I also say it, it's just not fun.

I have increased my player level recently, so that's not why I am complaining about an absolutely unsportsmanlike, anti-gwent, anti-game deck which is against the very spirit and purpose of the game. It feels like playing against glitchers and cheaters. The way Gwent is constructed, it is comparable to a guy using a shooting game wall glitch.

I totally desagree.

For the firts, you talk about strength when you talk about "pathetic", "try to win", "cheaters" and "unsportsmanlike". It seems clear you talk about the games won by the "unitless" decks.
Give a fast and easy win to another player I think it´s the opposite to unsporstmanlike.
Cheaters make cheats to win. Unitless deck is a weak deck for win, that is contradictory!

For me is fun, play whit and against unitless decks (is a different thing in a sea of copies). I understand another people do not like, but I d´ont understand the hate.

And what that is against to the spirit and purpose of the game it´s just an opinion. If you play the Witcher games you can see a magician destroying two armies without getting into the battlefield, whit his spells.
Is another way of play.

I totally desagree.

For the firts, you talk about strength when you talk about "pathetic", "try to win", "cheaters" and "unsportsmanlike". It seems clear you talk about the games won by the "unitless" decks.
Give a fast and easy win to another player I think it´s the opposite to unsporstmanlike.
Cheaters make cheats to win. Unitless deck is a weak deck for win, that is contradictory!

For me is fun, play whit and against unitless decks (is a different thing in a sea of copies). I understand another people do not like, but I d´ont understand the hate.

And what that is against to the spirit and purpose of the game it´s just an opinion. If you play the Witcher games you can see a magician destroying two armies without getting into the battlefield, whit his spells.
Is another way of play.

Nah, every time I win against a unitless deck, the game does not feel more purposeful or less annoying and anti-game and unsportsmanlike. It's like playing a glitcher. Some people will do anything to "win" a game. I don't come from an honour based culture, but I just don't go anywhere near dishonorable play.

I will have to stand for how I play as well. This is why I can't seriously play a deck like blue stripe scouts and commandoes, because it feels like something is wrong with the game. But that's not bad at all compared to unitless decks. I'd be ashamed to play that way really. It's absolutely dishonorable and disgusting.

I really hope CDPR intends to do something about it, because it's just killing the fun of the game. If it was a rare thing, like it was until recently, I wouldn't mind at all, but it's becoming such a frequent thing now that I just don't feel like playing the game. It's now how it is suppose to be played. In the original deck there were no artifacts and no special cards.. I get that this game is better, but unitless decks is just not the intended design of the game.

I believe special cards and artifacts belong in the game, but not no-units decks. That's just the lowest common denominator. Due to some cards (and their bugs), this tactic is actually viable.

As someone has mentioned here earlier, the design of artifacts seems to not work out as it should. I disagreed with that initially, but I think those voices were right. A countdown timer on some artifacts would solve certain issues.

I've tried a deck that I consider dishonorable, the blue stripe commandoes/blue stripe scouts, just to prove a point and to see how ridiculous it is, and I think that deck is filthy. I would never seriously play such a deck.

For me it's about ethics as well. I'd rather lose every game/not play than play in an unethical way.

Ps. I never saw a unitless battle in the Witcher.

Claim that playing a type deck is dishonorable or unsporstmanlike is not objective. Is only a deck... Also I have already reasoned that these statements do not make sense because is contradictory.

Is not fun for you? You d´ont like control decks?
Ok. But talk about honor is a mistake.

Cards whit bugs? No one. The most unbalanced cards are units.

I've changed my mind. These decks are not only destroying the game, they are disgusting and I don't know if this is ok to say on the forum, but using them is pathetic.
But but it's just another strategy! Ha just messing with you. I play unitless sometimes because I'm pretty bored with the game at the moment. Cdpr needs to fix it and improve what SHOULD be fun in the game. Everything just bores me right now.
Post automatically merged:

For me it's about ethics as well. I'd rather lose every game/not play than play in an unethical way.
If you really want to make the case that something in the game can be unethical then I would say cards like viper witcher's are the biggest offenders.

Last edited:
I agree, unitless decks are scummy and bad for the game but, I’ve started to use them and have one for each faction. This isn’t because I’m naturally an arsehole, but because I’m completely fed up with everything else that’s wrong with the game. Unfortunately it’s become the only way I can win matches now due to always facing counter decks, not receiving gold cards I need to win, opponent having a fortunate deal and receiving nearly all golds and, having a coin toss not beneficial to the deck I’m playing. I know it sounds like sour grapes and bad luck but it’s every match I play.

The game needs a massive overhaul and I would gladly see the back off unitless decks, just fix the other stuff first.

Guest 4344268

I agree, unitless decks are scummy and bad for the game but, I’ve started to use them and have one for each faction. This isn’t because I’m naturally an arsehole, but because I’m completely fed up with everything else that’s wrong with the game. Unfortunately it’s become the only way I can win matches now due to always facing counter decks, not receiving gold cards I need to win, opponent having a fortunate deal and receiving nearly all golds and, having a coin toss not beneficial to the deck I’m playing. I know it sounds like sour grapes and bad luck but it’s every match I play.

The game needs a massive overhaul and I would gladly see the back off unitless decks, just fix the other stuff first.
Playing these decks is not a solution to anything; it just contributes to the problem. Unfortunately, some people will stoop to anything to win.

Playing these decks is not a solution to anything; it just contributes to the problem. Unfortunately, some people will stoop to anything to win.

I’d rather play these than copy cat NG decks. I like stooping.
Post automatically merged:

And contributing to it changes nothing until CDPR remove them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom