The General Videogame Thread

+
Stadia is mentioned? So Linux version of Baldur's Gate 3 will be available (at least for Stadia itself). I hope they'll release Linux version proper, and on GOG!

It's official, folks! Cthul..i mean..Baldur's Gate 3 is in the making!

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-is-finally-happening/
I didn't even like original Baldur's Gate that much, but I'm still happy Larian Studios is doing that one. While some people wanted CDPR to pick this title, they wouldn't be a very good choice for that. Baldur's Gate greatest strength are it's mechanics, in which Larian does a pretty good job, while storytelling and spectacle (which are CDPR's forte) weren't BG strong points.

Maybe it would be a good opportunity to finally play the second one.

I didn't even like original Baldur's Gate that much...

Oh...that burns. It burns like salt poured in the eye. It burns like Tobasco up the nose. It burns like bunnies.

To be fair, though, the Infinity Engine games haven't really aged that well. I'd say Dragon Age: Origins is their spiritual successor in every way, and the execution is arguably much better. But I can still enjoy BG 1 and 2 because: nostalgia. The story is very good. The gameplay is not "bad" by any stretch; definitely clunky though, by modern standards.

Oh...that burns. It burns like salt poured in the eye. It burns like Tobasco up the nose. It burns like bunnies.
I played Baldur's Gate several years into it's lifecycle, got exposed to several RPG classics by then (original Fallouts, Gothic games, Deus Ex etc.), so when I finally got to BG, it wasn't that impressive to me anymore in terms of gameplay and the world, as well as the story, I found to be rather generic by comparison. It's not the game fault and I acknowledge it's impact on RPG genre, but I was already exposed by the game of the same genre, which did the things it did just better or the same, end result of which is that it didn't leave that much of lasting impression on me.

I bought BG1 and BG2 (remastered versions) during a GOG sale not terribly long ago and tried out the first one. I... was absolutely horrible at it -- but I will go back to it someday.

I have a reaaaaaaaaaaallly long backlog of games I've bought or gotten as gifts but have never even launched. Shameful, really.

But they have had a HD remaster which is awesome even today; higher resolution and a better interface.

I bought the BG1 remaster for the iPad and was very much enjoying it again. It was great, especially having that type of gameplay on such a mobile device. Honestly, though...I think I still prefer the BG1 Tutu mod. It's more functionality and customization (plus all the extended content). The only thing it doesn't do is tidy up the graphics. Or include the "storybook" cutscenes -- those are sooo much better than the original, rendered scenes.

I played Baldur's Gate several years into it's lifecycle, got exposed to several RPG classics by then (original Fallouts, Gothic games, Deus Ex etc.), so when I finally got to BG, it wasn't that impressive to me anymore in terms of gameplay and the world, as well as the story, I found to be rather generic by comparison. It's not the game fault and I acknowledge it's impact on RPG genre, but I was already exposed by the game of the same genre, which did the things it did just better or the same, end result of which is that it didn't leave that much of lasting impression on me.

I can easily see this. And coming to think of it, BG1 and Fallout 1 both came out around the same time. I distinctly remember getting both as a junior in uni. We were side-by-side with another suite of guys that were into gaming. 8 of us...all networked up. So much Red Alert...so much. That was also the year that gave usJedi Knight, Rainbow Six, Dungeon Keeper, Carmaggedon, Total Annihilation -- holy bleep! -- that was a good year! :D

I bought BG1 and BG2 (remastered versions) during a GOG sale not terribly long ago and tried out the first one. I... was absolutely horrible at it -- but I will go back to it someday.

I have a reaaaaaaaaaaallly long backlog of games I've bought or gotten as gifts but have never even launched. Shameful, really.

I'd say it's definitely worth a playthrough. If you enjoy the gameplay, it's pretty easy to play right through. Especially BG2.

As for that backlog...yeah...:LOL:... I'm not saying that I am denying that I would never admit the possibility of just buying Project Zomboid yesterday. ($12 on GOG, btw! [Glances sidelong at Majesty Remastered, Sang Froid, and Heagenmonia...which have still not been installed...:giggle:...])

If you enjoy the gameplay, it's pretty easy to play right through.
I've very little experience with isometric point-and-click games but despite that, I did have a good time totally not searching for a damned staircase for a quarter of an hour. There was so much to learn that it was rather overwhelming.

...totally not searching for a damned staircase for a quarter of an hour.

Tab key to highlight interactive objects! :cool:

But, yeah, the games were definitely more niche. One thing I don't miss about the early IE games was the crazy lack of balance at times. I remember numerous times in BG1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2, and Planescape when my "dice rolls" started to come up "Miss! Miss! Critical Failure! Miss!" and I'd slowly steel myself for the 45 minute save/reload marathon.

If those don't hold your attention, try Pillars of Eternity or DA: Origins. They really did a top-notch job on both.

Despite the fact i found the previous two games in the franchise lackluster to say the LEAST, this one actually captured my attention. Seems like a mix of X-COM, GTA and Assassins Creed with a touch of V for Vendetta.

Top Bottom