Is Jackie DEAD?!

+
I'd rather the events be shaped by player choices.

Could be. But Dexter refers to Jackie as "that psycho friend of yours" afterwards. Kind of worrying in terms of railroading.

On the other hand, I speculated in the other thread that the chip would function as your reload device, which would mean it gets introduced early in the game (pretty much first zone/level whatever). Which would mean the first level has to be railroaded a bit.

However, in the car, Jackie gives V the chip as his last act. Did he already use it...?

ps. Bonus sector: People are freaking out for Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand. Anyone remember that character creation screen from 2018, where among other things you got to pick your childhood hero? What if that childhood hero is who appears as an apparition to pick you up post-respawn? :) Johnny was one of the three..
Gaga is also one of them :)

Like a physical/digital manifestation through the cybernetic eyes V has and possibly Johnny is in the chip? So only V can actually see him as if he were there? Not sure if that's it but that sounds sick as hell.

Exactly as for that chip in Jackie's hand I think that was the chip they was sent to get & Jackie is sadly dead if ya decide to go guns blazing on a specific mission over stealth.

Guest 4149880

Exactly as for that chip in Jackie's hand I think that was the chip they was sent to get & Jackie is sadly dead if ya decide to go guns blazing on a specific mission over stealth.

I don't think the trailer is "canon" at all. Just a "what if" scenario, or one of many possibilities, but knowing 2077 is an RPG with branching paths, the trailer means nothing to the story I'd assume.

I cant help but thinking back to the 48 minute gameplay trailer. Jackie and V recover the bot and walk out to meet the corpo agent, right?

Doesnt seem like there would be a shootout after that.
An other job?
Post automatically merged:

Wait where? This E3 insider knowledge? :eek:
i was at E3 today and i have conformation that it is 100% true, what he said about Silverhand.

They did say repeatedly that it's very different from what it was before. Just assumed they meant only the style and not that Jackie could be dead.

Just like CP2020 you have the option to do missions "guns blazing", and just like CP2020 there are consequences for such a choice. I don't see a problem here.

In to many games your character wears red and blue underwear with a big red "S" highlighted in yellow on their chest. It's VERY refreshing to see a game where this isn't the case.
You mean the usa flag with some shit?

I don't know what to think. Everybody makes good points, even if my own personal opinion leans toward it being the result of a story choice.

I guess the main thing is, I would be very shocked if CDPR would spoil something like this if it's not optional. At the same time, they probably knew it would have more emotional impact now that many of us have met Jackie.

We'll see.

I don't know what to think. Everybody makes good points, even if my own personal opinion leans toward it being the result of a story choice.

I guess the main thing is, I would be very shocked if CDPR would spoil something like this if it's not optional. At the same time, they probably knew it would have more emotional impact now that many of us have met Jackie.

We'll see.
Yeah I'm having difficulty seeing a clear answer either way. If this does happen as a fixed story point, then why would CDPR spoil such a major moment? What's the point of the quest shown in the 2018 demo if you know you're gradually approaching a point where Jackie dies and you'll be "murdered" at Dex's hands?

If this is one of the branching storylines due to some of your decisions, then how do we meet Keanu Silverhand? Clearly he's an integral part of the story. I suppose there could be another reason you are killed.

Ultimately we'll have to wait and see. Perhaps some of this will be answered shortly by CDPR at their E3 demo or the Q&A session they have planned this week.

You are right. However, the other alternative to why CDPR would show something like this is: If it doesn't matter that much.
If Jackie is in fact, a practical nobody who ends up biting the bullet early, means that nothing of major value was spoiled.

Sure, we bonded with Jackie watching that one gameplay video over and over during the past year, but it was just one video. It's on us. Showing us his death is a reminder how dark and gritty the world of cyberpunk is. It's kind of amazing how deeply we felt his death despite him appearing only in ONE video over the course of ONE YEAR. Just think about the storytelling prowess of CDPR a moment! Think of what is in store...

Clearly he's an integral part of the story.

I seriously doubt Keanu will be integral part of the story... You get paid according to the amount of work you do. I think he will appear only few times, but because of his star status those few times will carry more weight.

If this does happen as a fixed story point, then why would CDPR spoil such a major moment?

Personally I don't see Jackie's death as a "Major moment". Hope V will be able to take a "don't care" face when that happens.
I was way more shocked by seeing Mantis Blades being canon. Seems like we're stuck with a Cyber-addict V.

I think Jackie's death depends on your choices. I believe this trailer aimed to show us the huge possibilitys of Cyberpunk. If you can do the mission "correctly" without creating a mess, Jackie lives, you get the reward without dying (<-- it's kinda backed up by the 48 gameplay reveal where it's clearly explained to you there is a lot of possibilities to solve the mission).

In the trailer, we get maybe the "chaos" (sorry to call if that way) path, but it's actually kinda well made for a three minutes trailer (lost of best friend, "betrayed" before getting the reward (betrayed maybe a strong word, it seemed justified). The people shooting Jackie seemed to be "official corps" from the city (the way the shooting was organised, all the same weapons, military posture), they could be representing the "law and good" side from the city and Dexter would be representing the "underground" of it, both tried to kill the main character so he is out of option, fieled with gried and then decided to bring chaos.

I am so sorry for my poor english, I can't be as precise as I want to be.

Last edited:
I mainly think that's just a way of showing "What if things go wrong" - unless that is set in the plot that he dies at (an early?) point in time. Chances are if done more subtle, less with guns blazing, he would've made it. Assuming this is an actual mission aspect and not just a symbolic trailer showing something that is not exactly part of the game.

I'm also more curious to know more about the other potential "companions" beyond Jackie and the Hacker lady ... and, maybe, the Doc, if he counts as that.

I mainly think that's just a way of showing "What if things go wrong" - unless that is set in the plot that he dies at (an early?) point in time. Chances are if done more subtle, less with guns blazing, he would've made it. Assuming this is an actual mission aspect and not just a symbolic trailer showing something that is not exactly part of the game.

I'm also more curious to know more about the other potential "companions" beyond Jackie and the Hacker lady ... and, maybe, the Doc, if he counts as that.

For now I'm thinking it's a "worst case scenario" deal. I dunno why CDPR would reveal something like that otherwise. It'd be a HUGE spoiler.

Top Bottom