Main story premise discussion

+
On GOG etc. we have this description:

Take the riskiest job of your life and go after a prototype implant that is the key to immortality.

I wonder if this is only first act, or the entirety of main story quest. My personal theory this chip allows mind-uploading and the Johny Silverhand character (Keanu Reeves) we meet is virtual (he should already dead and would be older if not ).

What everybody thinks about this? I am not sure, story like that IMO is not Cyberpunk but Transhumanist/Post-Cyberpunk and too grand - we were told we will not be changing the world but story like that is without a doubt world-changing.

Bet it has to do about transferring your consciousness into the net or something like that.

Keanu is flickering in the final scene so it looks like a braindance sequence or something.

It sounds a bit too pompous to me, though. Chasing immortality.

"Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City, a megalopolis obsessed with power, glamour and body modification. You play as V, a mercenary outlaw going after a one-of-a-kind implant that is the key to immortality. You can customize your character’s cyberware, skillset and playstyle, and explore a vast city where the choices you make shape the story and the world around you. "

I suppose an advertisement has to TL : DR the plot somehow. For me that sort of reveal is likely to make me less interested than more, since it sort of implies some manner of linear plot. But even if there is a macGuffin in the plot, doesn't mean the game as a whole will be bad..

As for immortality, it probably refers to uploading your consciousness to digital form somehow.. I don't think the concept of transhumanism is too far beyond cyberpunk, at least as a goal. Sort of an elusive dream. Maybe its used to explain the load/save function >_>

It feels like a William Gibson nods, first the raid to grab Dixie Flatline in Neuromancer and the Aleph thing in Monalisa overdrive.
I just hope it's about some stuff to upload your consciousness on a ship or something like that (explaining why Johnny Silverhand could be uploaded on it). I guess it'll play as a redline throught the story (like the poker coin in new vegas), having buch of peoples wanting it, jumping on you here and there.
Let's just hope it stays at "Street Level", without global world saving bullshit.

It feels like a William Gibson nods, first the raid to grab Dixie Flatline in Neuromancer and the Aleph thing in Monalisa overdrive.
I just hope it's about some stuff to upload your consciousness on a ship or something like that (explaining why Johnny Silverhand could be uploaded on it)

Indeed. Neuromancer did it first, so such a concept is automatically cyberpunk. There's also Ghost in the Shell (at least the comic) which explored this idea.

Let's just hope it stays at "Street Level", without global world saving bullshit.

Well I do not mind epic stories about saving world, but this could lead to two problems if its not endgame. One, if information that you got this chip would leak every solo in the world would be after you. Second, epic stories make doing side-quests jarring - you got this super important thing going on yet you are wasting time with random side problems because?

Well I do not mind epic stories about saving world, but this could lead to two problems if its not endgame. One, if information that you got this chip would leak every solo in the world would be after you. Second, epic stories make doing side-quests jarring - you got this super important thing going on yet you are wasting time with random side problems because?

My guess is that the first mission will be a tutorial, (probably something like what we saw last year) then, the cinematic trailer plays out like an intro.

You've did a dirty job, ended with a chip you don't know what's it is supposed to do, who wanted you to steal it.
Remember Fallout New Vegas? You had a poker coin, I think the Silverhand's chip will act like a "pipboy character" during the game, guiding you etc .. And it will lead to events related to the main quest (the silverhand chip) while you play.

Dexter was angry because V attracted Corp's attentions, but mainly because V stole it, for all we know. Maybe a bunch of pirate hackers paid dex, then V to stole it (to launch a révolution or something?), and they'll try to rob it from you, giving you lots of foes who'd want it to (and by so, lots of sides you could joint, kinda like in Vampire Bloodline).

Reading the description almost makes it sound like you can save the world and improve humanity etc etc. There have been so many on this topic so its a bit cliche. But here is the good part, remember what Mike Pondsmith said: 'Cyberpunk isn't about saving humanity, it's about saving yourself'. With that in mind it looks like the technology may exist and you'll get to choose whether or not to use it for yourself or give it to the highest bidder in a sense. It may be destroyed and reveal a whole new arc. I believe this will blow our minds with the direction they take.

Johny Silverhand character (Keanu Reeves) we meet is virtual (he should already dead and would be older if not )

Or could be a an alternate story/universe entirely where he's still living and we'll witness his disappearance.

edit: nah, it was clear he's an apparition. He was glitching like glass. A plot element perhaps? Will he be with us all the way?

Last edited:
Reading the description almost makes it sound like you can save the world and improve humanity etc etc.

I don't know how you got that. I got pretty much the opposite. That the chip would be the "suitcase full of cash" motivator, for which people will just kill each other over. Exists primarily for itself, no need to turn it in or anything. Staple in gritty action movies.

I do think that the 2018 gameplay reveal trailer showed early game (and whats it like to succeed), and things in the 2019 trailer showed bit later game, (and whats it like to fail). Honestly, the whole Johnny Silverhand sequence reminded me of respawning after having been killed (not the least because Silverhand is supposed to be dead).

Maybe the chip is indeed your reload device (since the video shows that V has already plugged it in) and the trailer takes place at the end of a tutorial level of some sort.. And I guess Silverhand exists inside the chip.

I don't know how you got that. I got pretty much the opposite. That the chip would be the "suitcase full of cash" motivator, for which people will just kill each other over. Exists primarily for itself, no need to turn it in or anything. Staple in gritty action movies.
[...]
Maybe the chip is indeed your reload device (since the video shows that V has already plugged it in) and the trailer takes place at the end of a tutorial level of some sort.. And I guess Silverhand exists inside the chip.

This.

Then it explain the fact you can respawn, give a main story line, and lots of people going after you for it.
Probably a one of a kind prototype, not duplicable, that people would pay a lot to get, if not kill for (and most likely both)

But if De'Shawn shot you while you were being hacked, why he did not take the chip? Unless the chip works by updating your cyber-modem firmware to backup you to internet or something :)

But if De'Shawn shot you while you were being hacked, why he did not take the chip? Unless the chip works by updating your cyber-modem firmware to backup you to internet or something :)

The chip is too hot because you got sloppy while pulling the job. After the way you pulled the heist, Dex is out. He doesn't need that heat. If you kept things quite, yeah he can fence it and live. Now everyone is alert and looking to ice the person who has the chip. So he dumps your body. He leaves the chip in, again, because it's too hot to sell safely. I've played a lot of fixers in my day and this is just how I would handle a black op that ends up on Net 54 on the 6 o'clock news.

think Han Solo: "What good is a reward if you ain't around to spend it?"

The chip is too hot because you got sloppy while pulling the job. After the way you pulled the heist, Dex is out. He doesn't need that heat. If you kept things quite, yeah he can fence it and live. Now everyone is alert and looking to ice the person who has the chip. So he dumps your body. He leaves the chip in, again, because it's too hot to sell safely. I've played a lot of fixers in my day and this is just how I would handle a black op that ends up on Net 54 on the 6 o'clock news.

think Han Solo: "What good is a reward if you ain't around to spend it?"

This is what quickly came to my mind seeing this trailer. I immediately thought that this was showing a way how a "quest" (or mission) could go depending on your own decisions in how you execute or approach it. If they highlight(ed) a lot that quests will be dynamic and that you can't really "fail" (most of) them (unless you kinda die), that indicates you can have many or at least several notable ways of mission end results that change the further narrative to some extend.

Also interesting that Dex mentions corpo cop specifically, so it seems to imply the chip was taken specifically from some kind of corporation (rather than a gang, drug lord or the government). Basically we got us a little or solid insight into the plot.

I'm thinking the job rescuing the girl in the bath tub is the intro/tutorial job then you meet Dex and have to decide if you're gonna go "subtle/subterfuge" or "guns blazing" as the primary focus of your game. Whichever way you go you can, of course, always take either route in future missions, but that first one sets the general tone for your game.

Hey,
I think that it can be a pretty good plot if it will be balanced well and not made into a world conflict... or whatever...

V just randomly gets shiny immortality toy which SOME want. So it's not like there will be a war or something for individuals to get it... more like V may be chased by many nerds who want to see glitching Johny as well... :D
But what do we know?

Johny Silverhand glitching looks like a vision of Altair from AC series.

The question for me is what does the chip do and why many want it?
Transferring a mind to the net? See glitching Johny?
What's the point in that?

I hope there's more to the main story... and not just like escaping before hungry nerds... or whatever :D

Also interesting that Dex mentions corpo cop specifically, so it seems to imply the chip was taken specifically from some kind of corporation (rather than a gang, drug lord or the government). Basically we got us a little or solid insight into the plot.

No, he mentions corpo copS. In plural. Which are pretty much the only kind of cops that matter in Night City anymore, I'm pretty sure. All good stuff is corp-related in the world of cyberpunk, because the corps run everything, including the army pretty much. Its a lore thing.

I'm thinking the job rescuing the girl in the bath tub is the intro/tutorial job then you meet Dex and have to decide if you're gonna go "subtle/subterfuge" or "guns blazing" as the primary focus of your game. Whichever way you go you can, of course, always take either route in future missions, but that first one sets the general tone for your game.

That would be a problem, as there is people you wants to kill and people you don't wants to kill, and those in the first mission are clearly calling for a gun shot.

No, he mentions corpo copS. In plural. Which are pretty much the only kind of cops that matter in Night City anymore, I'm pretty sure. All good stuff is corp-related in the world of cyberpunk, because the corps run everything, including the army pretty much. Its a lore thing.

Forgot an "s" at the end of cops. Still, main point is that they specifically mention corporate cops - not NCPD. Of course the corporate cops (or security forces) have a heavy hand and influence or reach in things, but if this was benign or the government taking the hit I'd imagine you'd see NCPD on the frontline primarily unless also corporate interests were also affected.

You're probably "more shafted" if big corporations are out of you given their influence. Easy to tell if certain mid-level corporate execs (for which I take Stout for example) already have entries in their files for NCPD to basically not detain or delay them.

-----------

Issue I see is: Corpo cops is not really specific. If you say NCPD or refer to them it's simple: They stand behind be city or government. Who are corporate cops tho, with so many powerful or notable corporations around? I doubt the corporate center is patrolled solely be one corporation, rather all of them with notable security forces not just counting their HQs but the streets.

So long story short and since I still expect to be able to build a reputation with specific corps (implied by prior gameplay demo and statements), I wonder what corp or group the target was and whether this heist or deed will negatively influence ties or interactions not just with the target, but all other corps for w/e reason. I could go on now and theorize but I suppose we'll know soon anyway, and if not soon then in about 10 months.

I do doubt you turn into a general corporate enemy at one point though, forced through the plot I mean. At the very least you should be able to build some corporate ties for a while, even if the main narrative leads to a particular area.

E: I should add that perhaps depending on the approach of this type of mission, if done more tactful perhaps you wouldn't even be on the radar of anyone, so that's also a factor to consider in addition.

Top Bottom