Please fix Predatory Dive already

+
A 5 provision card with description "each player destroys their lowest unit". This card is defect and does not work as described. It is used as a cheap scorch card and removes the point of the tactical advantage. Tactical advantage is suppose to protect your first card against some "cheap" attack, but predatory dive at 5 provision circumvent that mechanic. Normally if you want to take out a unit with a tactical advantage on it, you will need to use a gold card and at least 8-10 provisions.

The game doesn't need more scorch cards, and certainly not a 5 provision bronze scorch card. This card is defect, it does not do what the description says and it destroys the whole point of the tactical advantage, so please fix it!

Someone suggested on another thread the solution: "destroy your lowest unit, THEN destroy the lowest enemy unit". This is what it should be doing in practice. Now the card can be used to destroy ONLY an enemy unit. This is against the purpose of the card. It would still be a useful card, especially with deathwish. I assumed this was the purpose of the card in the first place.

A simple requirement of having a unit card on both sides of the board would solve this issue and make it behave as it should do.

How does it work as cheap scorch card? I cannot see a connection here.
I see that it is good card, which basically negate the whole first turn for both players, but why so many complaints?

Because the card does not work as it is suppose to work. It is bugged and used as a first turn scorch card. This removed the whole tactical advantage.

Before the awful no-units decks were removed, Predatory Dive was mostly used as a scorch card, in those decks. It's not suppose to be a first turn scorch card, it is suppose to destroy your lowest unit and the lowest unit of the enemy. Currently this is bugged and allows a player to destroy ONLY an enemy unit.

You are still repeating your statement about scorch. How exactly it is like scorch? Scorch destroys the highest unit and all units which share the same power. Predatory dive destroy the lowest unit for both players. How it is unfair? How exactly is this card imbalanced? Please enlighten me.

Well, it destroys the highest unit if there is only 1 unit. And it is not suppose to destroy only 1 unit. It is suppose to destroy one unit on each side.

It's 5 provisions, that's how it is imbalanced, and it destroys the whole purpose of the tactical advantage. If you want to keep predatory dive in the game, you might as well just remove the tactical advantage alltogether. But, believe it or not, the tactical advantage is actually there for a reason.

I wouldn't touch Predatory Dive with a ten foot pole, I'd consider it unethical to use it as long as it's glitched/bugged.

The comparison with Scorch is flawed. Comparisons often become the topic of discussion instead of the real issue. It's a valid issue though. Predatory Dive should have Truce: apply first to own unit, then to opponent's unit. If there is no own unit, nothing happens. Unfortunately Truce is another good mechanic that was removed with HC.

Not really. It was used literally as a scorch card in the artifact decks not long ago (the ones the game banished). That's how defect this card is. Any time the opponent has a unit on the board, and you don't, playing predatory dive, it works exactly the same way as any scorch-type cards.

But that's not how it is suppose to work. It is suppose to destroy the lowest unit from both sides of the board, not just 1.

When the opponent has the only unit on the board then Predatory Dive = Glorious Hunt = Corruption = Scorch = Epidemic. However, that doesn't make the comparison with Scorch valid because PD doesn't destroy the highest unit and it only destroys one.

Regardless, PD should only trigger after destroying an allied unit. It's still good with Gerni, but at least it's fair.

A 5 provision card with description "each player destroys their lowest unit". This card is defect and does not work as described. It is used as a cheap scorch card and removes the point of the tactical advantage. Tactical advantage is suppose to protect your first card against some "cheap" attack, but predatory dive at 5 provision circumvent that mechanic. Normally if you want to take out a unit with a tactical advantage on it, you will need to use a gold card and at least 8-10 provisions.

The game doesn't need more scorch cards, and certainly not a 5 provision bronze scorch card. This card is defect, it does not do what the description says and it destroys the whole point of the tactical advantage, so please fix it!

Perhaps you should not use tactical advantage in the first turn, or expose a valuable card. I think the failure is strategic, not design of the card (whit the gwent rules of today, if a good objective is not achieved in the first turn, the card stops serving). Also, it's like when someone plays an artifact and with a 4 or 5 point card they destroy it.

Tactical advantage is not supposed nothing more that +5 points.

Someone suggested on another thread the solution: "destroy your lowest unit, THEN destroy the lowest enemy unit". This is what it should be doing in practice. Now the card can be used to destroy ONLY an enemy unit. This is against the purpose of the card. It would still be a useful card, especially with deathwish. I assumed this was the purpose of the card in the first place.
A simple requirement of having a unit card on both sides of the board would solve this issue and make it behave as it should do.

This change would absolutely destroy the card.

Think about the consequences: when more cards you play, more harder is to take advantage. Probably the opponent already has units of 2 or 3 of value, but also will have to die an own unit (perhaps higher value). It would be unplayable.

Add: with white frost (6 point value) you can destroy the opponent artifact and tactical adventage

When the opponent has the only unit on the board then Predatory Dive = Glorious Hunt = Corruption = Scorch = Epidemic. However, that doesn't make the comparison with Scorch valid because PD doesn't destroy the highest unit and it only destroys one.

Regardless, PD should only trigger after destroying an allied unit. It's still good with Gerni, but at least it's fair.

If there is only 1 unit on the board, it is also the highest unit, not just the lowest.

And I've seen some legitimate use for predatory dive in deathwish decks. I don't mind that. It's how it should be used, and it is still quite powerful, or at least can be. I can't remember of the top of my head which card Gerni is, but it is not the only use for predatory dive.
Post automatically merged:

Perhaps you should not use tactical advantage in the first turn, or expose a valuable card. I think the failure is strategic, not design of the card (whit the gwent rules of today

The whole point of the tactical advantage is to protect your first card against a "cheap" (bronze card) attack. I see people complaining about Marauder for example, but that's only a "valid" complaint because they don't use tactical advantage. If someone want to use a gold card Geralt to take out my unit with the tactical advantage on it, so be it, but a bronze card should not be able to do that and certainly not a 5 provision bronze.

This change would absolutely destroy the card.

Only if you think the original intent of the card is destructive. Look at the description, that's how it is suppose to work, not to take out the first card the enemy plays (even twice). It is suppose to destroy 1 unit on each side.

Think about the consequences: when more cards you play, more harder is to take advantage. Probably the opponent already has units of 2 or 3 of value, but also will have to die an own unit (perhaps higher value). It would be unplayable.

Nah, it works just fine with deathwish. I've seen it be used correctly with deathwish, both early in the round and mid round. At 5 provisions, the card should come with tight conditions. But despite that I've seen it used quite well mid round with deathwish decks.

Last edited:
I agree that it should work like proposed. Kill your unit, then opponents and if the first condition is not met, the second one will not trigger. Common tcg rule.
However, even in current iteration it is not so difficult to play around. You throw your 4 provision card, your opponent use his 5 provision card to destroy it. Both players lose turn and you move on. What is imbalanced here? You can also benefit from it by using dw card, or card generating token... you just have to adapt your game plan if you can expect this card. It is the same as with kambi and usurper. People just tend to complain about cards which disrupt their gameplan in any way (because what is more fun than using the literally same strategy and sequence of cards every single game...).
And please, do not try to compare it to scorch, since it does not have anything comparable to mechanic of scorch.

Noone in his right mind plays good cards first turn against MO and against every other factions too. Especcially noone buffs the unit played first. If u do that, take in mind this card. But, if u played weak unit with 2 health for example, this card for 5 plays just for two, so almost noone plays predatory. It may be usefull to trigger deathwish and destroy some weak unit, but it is hard to make it very profitable. So I don't really understand complaints to this card.

I agree that it should work like proposed. Kill your unit, then opponents and if the first condition is not met, the second one will not trigger. Common tcg rule.
However, even in current iteration it is not so difficult to play around. You throw your 4 provision card, your opponent use his 5 provision card to destroy it. Both players lose turn and you move on. What is imbalanced here? You can also benefit from it by using dw card, or card generating token... you just have to adapt your game plan if you can expect this card. It is the same as with kambi and usurper. People just tend to complain about cards which disrupt their gameplan in any way (because what is more fun than using the literally same strategy and sequence of cards every single game...).

I just want the card to work as it is intended and described. I don't want to have to "play around" a defect card that does not play as it describes and at the same time invalidates the tactical advantage.

The imbalance is that you are saying, due to PD, you have to open your game, not use tactical advantage and expect to just cheaply lose your first card. That's not how gwent is suppose to be, and it is not how Predatory Dive is suppose to work, that's the imbalance.

And please, do not try to compare it to scorch, since it does not have anything comparable to mechanic of scorch.

I do this, due to the fact that it was a scorch card before the game update when they removed the "no-units" decks. Sure, this point might not be as valid as before, but my habit is to refer to it as a scorch card, out of experience with the card. First turn use of PD is not really different than that either.

So I don't really understand complaints to this card.

It's easy: the card is defect and does not do what it says.

I don't want to have to "play around" a defect card that does not play as it describes

Dive works EXACTLY as described, and the ability to predict possible lines of play, and adjust your strategy accordingly is what separates good players from merely average ones.

Moderator's note: Post edited. Please, remain respectful.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's easy: the card is defect and does not do what it says.
I think it does exactly what it says: if u don't have unit it destroyes nothing. Do u wish this card to just dissapear if there is no units on its player's side? It's not logical. This card does not force u to have units, it just destroys what is on the board. I never thought that something is wrong here. Many cards are played the same way: u can buff or damage noone with Yennifer, for example. If u have no units u still can play Yen.

Yennefer is a gold card and has nothing to do with destroying cards.

Dive works EXACTLY as described, and the ability to predict possible lines of play, and adjust your strategy accordingly is what separates good players from merely average ones.

Moderator's note: Post edited. Please, remain respectful.

Then we might as well just remove tactical advantage as well, because it serves no purpose against decks that can use predatory dive to scorch any card played first by the opponent, for 5 provisions, twice.

Tactical advantage :) I am afraid your gameplay lacks tactic.

Nah, predatory dive in its current defect form lacks tactic. I'm happy to draw out a Geralt or Leo or anything similar of gold cards with high provisions with a first card+tactical advantage. It's a tit-for-tat trade. Predatory dive is not.

It's pretty sour with Cleaver, but at least that is also a gold card with high provisions.

Top Bottom