'RPG' is excluded from game description

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
20190611_182402.jpg

(You can see same description at steam, gog, youtube, etc.)

I can say It's not an accident. Because It's not newly typed text. It's edited.

What's happening? CDPR continously emphasized It's not a FPS, It's an RPG, Its source is also pen and paper RPG.

Is it just marketing purpose? Because people may consider RPG as some grind, gear hunting thing? I thought they are very proud of making RPG genre. Then why do they avoid using RPG term? They can show people what real RPG is though.

Or they suddenly recognized they are not making 'Role-Playing' game? I mean, more traditional, more classic one. But what about Witcher? They never made 'True RPG' if they follow this standard. (I usually hate using this word(true rpg) but, for understanding..)

Since I saw it, some phrase kept bugging me. yeah some dev said "game is quite different from the last year's" a weeks ago.

Did they change the direction for the game? Or did they reduce development scale of the game?

Yeah all of this is just my pure speculation.

The certain thing is that they *purposely* excluded 'RPG' from game description, and I wonder why.

I think CDPR should clear this issue because most important thing people think when they decide whether they will buy the game or not is genre. (Me included)

Thx for reading and sorry for my bad english!

Its a good catch. I just checked and the Steam store page features the exact same text, no 'RPG' anywhere. Would be great to hear about this from the devs while they are still in E3.. Or at the latest, gamescom.

Now I have to go back and edit my 5 questions again..

It COULD be just for marketing purpose... as the word "RPG" might make some average folks uninterested... as in, the game itself wouldnt change. But I would really like to hear some sort of confirmation. This is ALWAYS going to be based on the RPG though... Thats why they have Mike Pondsmith along.

As I've said elsewhere, "action adventure" is a descriptor of the story, not the game. The game is still listed as an RPG everywhere, and I'm 100% confident it will be an action RPG.
I hope you're right....

"RPG" is in the tags on Steam. The description also says "you can customize your character’s cyberware, skillset and playstyle", in combination with branching storytelling it still fits RPG.

We can speculate how extensive RPG elements are, probably not very because of just the way the game is constructed. But if Mass Effect can be considered an RPG, then people shouldn't worry about Cyberpunk not being one.

As I've said elsewhere, "action adventure" is a descriptor of the story, not the game. The game is still listed as an RPG everywhere, and I'm 100% confident it will be an action RPG.

But is it necessary taking off the already existed term? RPG has a charm Its own. There are people only seeing 'RPG' labeled on the game, their heart start beating. I can say It is totally unnecessary move and CDPR will think the same.
Post automatically merged:

Wow, people make a fuzz about everything these days.

Usually I'm not thinking over small issue like this, but last year, they kept saying "IT'S AN RPG! NOT FPS!" and I'm impressed.

They literally said it every interview. even in 48-minute demo, you can hear narrator keep saying same thing. "Because It's an RPG~ blah"

Last edited:
They removed the levelling system from the game. So you can no longer level up and enemies don't have levels. This is what happens when you complain too much. Sadly it was the FPS crowd that complained not the RPG.

You can still add "points" to your branches but you or your gear wont level up.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be a true RPG. There will be choices and consequences, character development, dialogues and many other features that define the genre. Don't worry! :)

01. Charakter Editor
02. Backstory
03. Attributes
04. Skills Tree (Perks)
05. Dialogue Tree
06. Non-linear Story with multiple Endings
07. Quests with Decisions
08. Different Guns
09. Melee Weapons
10. Hacking and Engineering
11. Stealth
12. Takedown and Non-Lethal Takedown
13. Different Builds
14. Crafting
15. Cybernetic Implants
16. Romances

all available?:howdy:

They removed the levelling system from the game. So you can no longer level up and enemies don't have levels. This is what happens when you complain too much. Sadly it was the FPS crowd that complained not the RPG.

It's not like it was ever there... try not to twist the truth.

And indirect progression by improving character skills and items individually is how I want it anyway.

01. Charakter Editor - confirmed
02. Backstory - confirmed
03. Attributes - confirmed
04. Skills Tree (Perks) - depends on what you mean by skill tree, but skills and perks were confirmed
05. Dialogue Tree - depends on what you mean by tree, but dialogue choices confirmed
06. Non-linear Story with multiple Endings - a bit of an open question, but implied several times
07. Quests with Decisions - confirmed
08. Different Guns - confirmed
09. Melee Weapons - confirmed
10. Hacking and Engineering - confirmed
11. Stealth - implied to be in by Miles Tost once last year, but still a bit of a question mark
12. Takedown and Non-Lethal Takedown - Takedown confirmed, non-lethal not yet confirmed
13. Different Builds - confirmed
14. Crafting - unknown, but Techie build highly implies it
15. Cybernetic Implants - confirmed
16. Romances - confirmed

I agree that the term "RGP" has become nebulous up to a point of not mattering anymore.

In JRPG's and the Witcher, you simply play the role of a character, with the added benefit of assigning a few skills and equipment.
In RPGs like Fallout 2 and Bloodlines, it means to have a carefully balanced, meaningful stat sheet that gives you consequences and options.
In most Modern RPG games the term is merely bolted on to give players a sense of progression.

I'm not sure the ommission of the term "RPG" matters much.

01. Charakter Editor
02. Backstory
03. Attributes
04. Skills Tree (Perks)
05. Dialogue Tree
06. Non-linear Story with multiple Endings
07. Quests with Decisions
08. Different Guns
09. Melee Weapons
10. Hacking and Engineering
11. Stealth
12. Takedown and Non-Lethal Takedown
13. Different Builds
14. Crafting
15. Cybernetic Implants
16. Romances

1. Yes
2. Maybe but heavily nerfed.
3. Most likely gone
4. Gone
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. Yes
11. Yes
12. Yes
13. Yes through Ripperdoc
14. Maybe, more like adding mods to gear and weapons.
15. Yes
16. Yes

You can still add "points" to your branches but you or your gear wont level up.

Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom