"The developers playing the demo unlocked in the Handguns II skill to increase revolver damage"

+
Then I have a very very very bad news for you: not only accuracy has been used in a lot of videogames you're not aware of, but in cyberpunk 2077 as well. From the demo:

View attachment 11003143
DPS: damage per second
PNT: penetration
ACC: accuracy
ROF: rate of fire

On the contrary of a realistic system that lets you improve your accuracy (because you get better at using a weapon, so you aim better and reduce recoil), an unrealistic system like +15% DMG present in CP2077 won't. So if the weapon is not accurate, that's it. You're welcome.

*If* accuracy is used in a way that produces misses, even though you've got the crosshairs on the target, it is a bad mechanic that never should have been put into the video game. That would be simultaneously unfun and immersion breaking.

The only way accuracy could potentially be used in a video game that works, is by having it affect the sway of your sights / crosshair when aiming. More accuracy = more steady.

Far too often than not the former is the route video games have gone, and when devs have opted for that route, it has always without fail resulted in gameplay that's shit.

can anyone confirm what happens when you land a headshot? do critical hit numbers pop up or insta headshot kill like most shooters.

I have not digested enough of the information that's come out of this recent dump of material to go over.

I do, however, feel that magical increases to damage on a firearm, because you checked a box on your character, is a silly.
I can certainly see damage increase with melee. Firearms, on the otherhand, a bullet is a bullet, and unless you're custom crafting your own ammo, a 12 year old kid with the same bullet, using the same gun is going to do the same exact damage to a target as the most hardened of hardcore veteran soldiers using the very same stock bullet and the very same firearm against the very same target.
There's no magical Gun-fu Chi energy you can channel into making all your bullets suddenly stronger just because you checked a box in your character menu.

Damage increases on firearms is silly and implausible ... unless there's some plausible things on the back side like customized ammo, or, there's some really detailed and solid reasoning as to how accuracy can increase damage via a check box in the character menu, like the old "a centimeter to the left and he'd of bleed out the day before he was even shot", or something.

It doesn't sit well with me on first glance, and it's just too video-gamey magical ... for reasons.

Am I disappointed, definitely.
Am I at all surprised they went this route, no.

Whenever there's a choice between an RPG and an FPS option CDPR almost always takes the FPS one.
But not to worry, it's an RPG ... it's based on and RPG after all that makes it one!

I'd repeat what I said in the other thread.

Having your accuracy tied to skills in FPS is retarded and sure way to financial flop.

+damage from skills and gear is perfectly fine as long as percentages remain reasonable - this was used in Mass Effect trilogy and was perfectly fine.

That's not quite accurate. In ME1, accuracy was most definitely tied to the character skill. Remember how big the targeting reticle was at the start of the game and how it small it got as you leveled up the weapon skills? That was character skill affecting accuracy in a shooter system.

It is true that Bioware changed from a character skill system to a player skill system with ME2, where the skill levels gave damage boosts. I was kinds sad to see the old character skill system go. But then again, I've always loved the combat systems of Baldur's Gate and DA:O.

*If* accuracy is used in a way that produces misses, even though you've got the crosshairs on the target, it is a bad mechanic that never should have been put into the video game. That would be simultaneously unfun and immersion breaking.

The only way accuracy could potentially be used in a video game that works, is by having it affect the sway of your sights / crosshair when aiming. More accuracy = more steady.
Now we're talking ;)
can anyone confirm what happens when you land a headshot? do critical hit numbers pop up or insta headshot kill like most shooters.
Asking one of the most important questions. Levels are in the game, so 99% it depends on enemies' level: if they're higher than us, expect magical bullet sponges.
Don't really think devs would want to confirm or deny all of this, not until the game is on market, at least.

yeah, looter shooters like destiny, anthem, the division, borderlands... Not call of duty or battlefield, those are real fps.

I thought we could have something more realistic on the basis of CP2020 (no levels), but we'll get Destiny 2077: the handsome collection.

Dunno how to feel. Very much do not like the whole +X% damage thing. Don't care what anyone says, that's not necessary for an RPG to be an RPG.

The more I read about this stuff, the more it seems that the reason why its like this is that CDPR has difficulties implementing good shooter game mechanics. It doesn't surprise me, this is supposed to be an RPG first and foremost so shooting would be "tagged on" as an extra, so to speak, yet in reality requires quite a lot of work to get right.

So it might be that they backpedal and make the system less dependant on players actual aiming skills or hitbox detection of models. This would lead to greater emphasis on the stats and skills and will lead to things like shotgun does +x% damage. Its a way to avoid the work involved in making an actually good shooter game. I really don't mind CDPR focusing more on actual RPG elements than shooter elements. I've seen enough lame ducks that were supposed to be FPS shooter RPGs (I'm reminded of Tabula Rasa..).

EDIT: Or they simply copy other successful shooters -_-
UGH.

Last edited:
Frankly, this decision is a shortcut, but imagine instead of +% damage, you get to craft new ammo with increased damage for every type of a weapon you use so you can deal with heavier armor and cyborgs. New schematics/blueprints, new materials, endless amount of extra-ammo. Essentially - the same thing. But much more tedious and convoluted when you have a game of this scale.

As long as everything works well together I don't mind. Why should I be irked by some "magical" skill adding damage to handguns, when other skills have the same "magical" nature? You invest in hacking and bam! - you can hack devices. Or should we write the code for hack by ourselves, to have more "immersion"?

It’s a different situation with guns, where it’s as if you are training your bullets with skillpoints and not your character.

I understand why some people are complaining about this issue. But increasing accuracy or sorta instead of DMG by adding skillpoint like Deus Ex or VTMB is not fun for me. And I'm sure major proportion of people will hate it like me.

I think immersion in video game don't work like that. I mean, would a video game be immersive if is made as realistically as possible? No. If is there something irritating excessively, it break immersion regardless it's for realistic system or not.

Top Bottom