E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the aforementioned user who attended the private demo, the game now has a minimap. Which is super awesome.

I didn't care for the compass system before.
Post automatically merged:

Well, they probably have different set of animations for different melee weapons, so the mantis blades for example could be much more polished, and the nanowire from the demo which u can use also as melee weapon seems to be fine. But yeah they should cut some stuff probably, like the hammer and focus on more important weapons. Quality over quantity.
I don't know if cutting stuff is ideal. Presumably, the hammer uses the same animations as other two-handed weapons, so that would mean cutting the entire weapon category.

Last edited:
That would be quite unfortunate. I was hoping the melee would be fun, as it was one of the builds I was most interested in trying out.

Hopefully they figure it out and at least make it serviceable.

By the way, any word from your journalist buddies yet?
they're hiring 2 guys to fix animations. No idea if 10 months (minus the time to hire 2 experienced devs) could be enough. :shrug: As you know animations are a priority to me, so this is my umpteenth disappointment from this E3 :ROFLMAO: (I'm laughing but those are real teardrops).

The guy had to swap appointments since he had 2-3 hands-on to prioritize (FF7, COD and star wars), so he managed to go to CP only on the third day (2 guys from his website went on the first day, the other 2 on the second day, though, and all agree on the same aspects: glorious role playing and graphics on high-end PC, animations and gunplay look worse than 1 year ago). Don't know if the interview took place at all at this point. :sad: They'll be coming back tonight, so I don't expect any news until early next week.

the hammer

I never understood heavy two handed melee weapons in modern or scifi settings. They make no sense what so ever as they are slow and cumbersome in close combat and just useless when there’s range as you can’t even throw them efficiently.

Stuff like that hammer should definitely be cut. It’s just an impractical fantasy game leftover.

The whole bossfight scene sounded like it was a fight against an ogre.

Last edited:
they're hiring 2 guys to fix animations.

Is this fact? confirmed by devs? I find it extremely weird, this is not how game dev works in general, the team at peak size should be able to handle anything that needs reworking and isn't huge. Plus, animations are the thing that gets improved the most by far in all games in the last months, often periods of even 4 months make a very noticeable difference, and CP is like 11 months or a year away since the demo's build probably. Additionally, I've read more than one preview praise most animations a lot, which would make this hammer thing an exception, meaning the rule is that they animate well and could fix what's not good at the moment anyway.

Is this fact? confirmed by devs? I find it extremely weird, this is not how game dev works in general, the team at peak size should be able to handle anything that needs reworking and isn't huge. Plus, animations are the thing that gets improved the most by far in all games in the last months, often periods of even 4 months make a very noticeable difference, and CP is like 11 months or a year away since the demo's build probably. Additionally, I've read more than one preview praise most animations a lot, which would make this hammer thing an exception, meaning the rule is that they animate well and could fix what's not good at the moment anyway.
Read here
Senior animation programmer and animation programmer.

More info on the website:

-gameplay animator warsaw for CP2077
-gameplay animator cracow for CP2077
-animation producer cracow for CP2077
-animation programmer warsaw for CP2077
-senior animation programmer warsaw for CP2077

:shrug:

Last edited:
I'm struggling to understand how combat animations can get worse overtime. Is it simply iteration and the new versions are worse or is there something else to it? Could someone with a bit more gamedev knowledge explain?

I'm struggling to understand how combat animations can get worse overtime. Is it simply iteration and the new versions are worse or is there something else to it? Could someone with a bit more gamedev knowledge explain?
melee, simply because 1 year ago they showed only mantis blades (which didn't look great to be honest) and probably the hammer doesn't have proper animations yet. Gunplay, same: old weapons were animated, the ones the showed at E3 are still work in progress.

Anyway, don't take everything for granted, those were only impressions, it doesn't mean it's 100% true.

melee, simply because 1 year ago they showed only mantis blades (which didn't look great to be honest) and probably the hammer doesn't have proper animations yet. Gunplay, same: old weapons were animated, the ones the showed at E3 are still work in progress.

Anyway, don't take everything for granted, those were only impressions, it doesn't mean it's 100% true.
Oh sorry, yeah that makes sense. I assumed they used the same weapons and that's what they were comparing.

I've heard there's a lot of stuff they're still working on and haven't made decisions for yet. Are you sure this will be out in April?

Last edited:
At least it's now understandable to many why the presentations 10 months before release still happen behind closed doors.

Animations...?
I didn’t see anything wrong with them a year ago and I doubt there’s ACTUALLY anything wrong with them this time either.

All the nitpicking about visual design with games in this day and age is... petty.

Animations...?
I didn’t see anything wrong with them a year ago and I doubt there’s ACTUALLY anything wrong with them this time either.

Maybe because you didn't actually get to see the animations in question. When devs add stuff to the game, such as new weapons and opponents, it all needs to be animated. Always. Everything they add to the game has to be animated in some way pretty much. It doesn't surprise me if they are looking to still increase the number of animators.

This year on the first day closed presentation, they had V take Sasquatch's hammer and use it; and one of the journalists reported that the animations were REALLY bad (probably placeholder animations), described as "2009 indie game bad". So devs didn't show it on subsequent days (they didn't have V take and use the hammer anymore).

This seems to be most likely the reason they have gone for closed presentations, because parts of the game really aren't finished yet, and showing this stuff would just give a wrong impression.

Maybe because you didn't actually get to see the animations in question.

Perhaps. I’m just basing that on a hunch from seeing a lot of similiar complaints over other games that’ve made me wonder, what is it exactly that’s ”wrong” with them. The explanations have usually been... not very convincing.

I've heard there's a lot of stuff they're still working on and haven't made decisions for yet. Are you sure this will be out in April?

Delays are caused by introducing new ideas or tech. If these are nailed, then the rest is just adding content which takes linear amount of time, so you can plan for it and get things done faster by adding more people. Not sure about recruitment, Marcin told multiple times the CP 2077 team won't be growing anymore but the second game that is coming in 2021 is rumored to be Cyberpunk multiplayer and its likely they want people for that as not to cannibalize main team.

Perhaps. I’m just basing that on a hunch from seeing a lot of similiar complaints over other games that’ve made me wonder, what is it exactly that’s ”wrong” with them. The explanations have usually been... not very convincing.
imagine that both came out in 2018:

TPP:

FPP:

This is what people mean with "wrong" vs "good"

Last edited:
Animations...?

All the nitpicking about visual design with games in this day and age is... petty.
I could tell right off the animations for firing guns weren't finished. And if they have an entire play style based around melee, it's extremely important they get them right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom