Closed/Open Beta Throwback Thread

+
I didn't watch it live, because I'm more interested in playing games rather than watching other people play them, but for nostalgia reasons I've watched that series between noxious and Peter Dager of Gwent Challenger 1. Was actually really fun to watch including a very exciting finish. I miss that game even though closed beta was a bit whacky. Closed Beta weather used to be so swingy, but being two sided made is so much more tactical and interesting than it is since OB.

Last edited:
I didn't watch it live, because I'm more interested in playing games rather than watching other people play them, but for nostalgia reasons I've watched that series between noxious and Peter Dager of Gwent Challenger 1. Was actually really fun to watch including a very exciting finish. I miss that game even though closed beta was a bit whacky. Closed Beta weather used to be so swingy, but being two sided made is so much more tactical and interesting than it is since OB.

Interesting card effects. Meaningful archetypes. Compelling tactical gameplay. Simple, effective UI design.

Oh how I miss thee...

I do not want to compare cards effects, archetypes, number of lines, etc. I only want to point out perfectly clear and minialistic user interface, which is so great and which I would really like to have in current Gwent.

There are several ways how you can see Gwent interface and different people could have different views. I personally would like to have option to switch user interface (at example through some skin) to possibly the most minimalistic design with perfect functionality from practical point of view. The minimum of graphic and effects on background and interface (excluding graphics of cards themselves).

To little more explain my standing point, I am player of strategic board games like chess, go, etc.. Today, those games are also played over internet, not just in real life on real boards with real pieces. There are even funny variants of chess (mostly for beginners, children, special tastes people, etc ... variants like battle chess and so on) where you have fantastic chess pieces dressed as fantasy figures, Egyptian vs Roman army and so on. There is also no problem if you would want to have colourful battlefield representing jungle, landscape with river, plain terrain etc. But why is nothing like that (playing pieces and battlefield) not generally used by serious players? Because it is really just a vanity distraction for "snobs", which takes away attention from actual gameplay.

Just like I prefere minimalistic design for chess and go, I would very much appreciate possibility to have minimalistic design for Gwent. Btw, I prefere non-animated versions of Gwent cards in my decks. Try to guess why. :p

Interesting card effects. Meaningful archetypes. Compelling tactical gameplay. Simple, effective UI design.

Oh how I miss thee...
I do not want to compare cards effects, archetypes, number of lines, etc. I only want to point out perfectly clear and minialistic user interface, which is so great and which I would really like to have in current Gwent. ...
You may get what you want, driven by the development of a mobile version. And then hopefully the crappy, slow-paced and game-unbalancing mechanics of orders and charges will be handled (removed) as well. Looking at this thread, I simply cannot believe that so many good stuff has been removed instead of continued and perfected with HC.

And then hopefully the crappy, slow-paced and game-unbalancing mechanics of orders and charges will be handled (removed) as well.
Sadly, the new faction reveal today makes this look highly unlikely. They are adding a whole new can of worms with the Crowns mechanic by the looks of it.

The days of elegant simplicity appear to be gone forever.

Damn, haven't heard this track in a long time. Best one in Gwent history.

Does anyone know why they had to drop all the Beta music in Homecoming? Did they lose the rights to the songs over the years during Beta? Or maybe since Homecoming was a practically a new game they had to pay double to include them again? Would be interesting to find out why.

Does anyone know why they had to drop all the Beta music in Homecoming? Did they lose the rights to the songs over the years during Beta? Or maybe since Homecoming was a practically a new game they had to pay double to include them again? Would be interesting to find out why.

They never said anything why they murdered Old Good Gwent in cold blood. Everything what was connected with OGG was thrown away in the trash. It seems that not only music, any reminders are unwelcome. Btw, the best Gwent laugh ever, when the disaster started and hc was born...

Last edited:
Did they lose the rights to the songs over the years during Beta?
I'm pretty sure all of the music is made in-house, so that's impossible.
And in any case, Burza said this in February:
We much rather introduce new music then go back to the older music, which would have to be modified to fit the new post-homecoming GWENT.

I do agree that the linked beta OST track is very, very good.

Raunbjorn

Back when cards were desirable (IMO). I know some call beta the stamp card game but I they had much more weight to them and the border and brightness on the cards looked much better. If they never revert back to beta Gwent I hope that they at least go back to the open beta editions! :)

GWENT_ The Witcher Card Game_20170705191932.jpg

Man, I hate that this is the only pic I have of all those hours of Gwent on my PS4... I should have taken more but was having too much fun to care. I remember me and this guy just kept trowing cards at the board for no good reason. Even when losing Gwent was a hell of fun. Ah, and back when Johnny discarded :) my favorite card.

@SlamaTwoFlags
! ! ! bring GWENT back ! ! !​

Last edited:

Guest 4368268

Man, this thread is really hitting the nostalgia bone hard. :sad: I don't wanna come out and say everything Homecoming is bad and everything beta was perfect. A lot of the things I miss simply feel like a matter of personal taste and I don't wanna shit on something that many people are still enjoying.

But strictly speaking for myself I would revert all of Homecoming to go back to the open beta days and just work from there rather than trying to make the current product work. I really don't feel like old Gwent needed a drastic overhaul like the one it's had. Especially not in terms of gameplay.

The old menu, songs, pretty much the whole package had a magic/unique feel to it. Especially now, looking back. The only Homecoming change I can think of that I actually appreciate is that the cards are bigger in game. But even that came at a gameplay cost.

Damn, haven't heard this track in a long time. Best one in Gwent history.

Oh how I miss the game and the themes.

Scoia'tael was my faction but Skellige had the best themes hands down (especially 1 and 3 imo.)

Sad that they went on a crusade to butcher everyhing about OG Gwent for a mobile release.

R.I.P GWENT.

Top Bottom