E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could tell right off the animations for firing guns weren't finished. And if they have an entire play style based around melee, it's extremely important they get them right.
IIRC one of the critical impressions said they thought the melee looked better than the gunplay in the current demo. Can't remember which one.

Last edited:
They're a AAA studio who is compared with the very best in the business now. They have to do better than 'well, it's not awful'.
Yeah if I had to guess I think the combat will be good to very good but not great. This was the review that gave me that feel: https://www.cnet.com/news/cyberpunk...nu-reeves-and-its-next-gen-open-world-vision/

The only concern? The combat itself. Large-scale open-world RPGs typically struggle with moment-to-moment combat -- the Fallout series, Grand Theft Auto and, yes, even The Witcher 3 are good examples of that fact. Cyberpunk seems leaps ahead of those games but, less than a year from its release in April 2020, gunplay did feel a little unpolished. It's a complaint I've heard from a few people lucky enough to check out this year's E3 demo.

Cyberpunk 2077 is no Doom Eternal, but it still feels eons away from, say, Fallout 4. And when you add the ability to hack enemies and the environment during combat situations, I'm confident Cyberpunk 2077 will provide unique, rewarding avenues for players to experiment.

I don't think giving a dozens of millions copies sold blockbuster game as an example of "terrible" animations is going to work... Take a look at Steams seedier indy side instead.

I happened across some godawful RockPaperShotgun article and thread where the author was complaining about racism and the commentors were complaining about transphobia.

Theres an ingame poster of a woman who's packing. Here's a fictional futuristic world wherein a transvestite is fine to use in advertising and somehow that's offensive trans people. Also killing gang members is fine as long as they aren't black.
Thanks rockpapershotgun for your insight.

They're a AAA studio who is compared with the very best in the business now. They have to do better than 'well, it's not awful'.

Yeah, well, I don't hold super realistic in that much value. Good animations in games - to me - are ones that do their job with enough efficiency that they don't disturb the mechanical gameplay anywhere else than where that is the purpose (i.e. where a skill is projecting an inefficiency on the character, be it the PC or an NPC).

I'd understand if they were like Deus Ex or Morrowind or something of that ilk.

But then, I never held games too accountable over the ways the characters in them move anyway. And the - overt, in my mind - passion for visual design always puzzled me.

In this interview Kasia mentions different art styles they developed to differentiate the people, places and dates in the game. Entropy, Kitsch, Neomilitarism, Glamour etc. We can see the Entropy theme in this latest screen:

It never ceases to amaze me how much research CDPR do when creating their games.

Yeah, well, I don't hold super realistic in that much value. Good animations in games - to me - are ones that do their job with enough efficiency that they don't disturb the mechanical gameplay anywhere else than where that is the purpose (i.e. where a skill is projecting an inefficiency on the character, be it the PC or an NPC).

I'd understand if they were like Deus Ex or Morrowind or something of that ilk.

But then, I never held games too accountable over the ways the characters in them move anyway. And the - overt, in my mind - passion for visual design always puzzled me.
Yes, Kofe, this has been a common theme with you over the years. I've always respected you for it. However, at some point you just have to accept that yes, for many people, the animations actually do impact how the game feels. Weapons that behave believably make combat feel good or crap to me. When I shoot a shotgun, it shouldn't have the recoil of a .22 pistol, and enemies shouldn't be going "oof" for a brief second and then going right back to what they were doing.

That is my perspective.

With that said, animations are actually the only visual thing I really care about. Lighting, textures, and model quality could all be average or slightly below average and I'll be just fine -- and that's just for games with big budgets where I expect more. If it's anything less than that, they have even more leeway. No matter what, though, animations are important to me. Perhaps it's because that's a field I'm hoping to get into myself.

Also, on the note of giant hammers/2H weapons -- this is Cyberpunk 2077. These sorts of weapons are no more or less practical than katanas, whips, etc. that we see in 2020, because people have beefed up arms that can handle them like they're toys.

they're hiring 2 guys to fix animations. No idea if 10 months (minus the time to hire 2 experienced devs) could be enough. :shrug: As you know animations are a priority to me, so this is my umpteenth disappointment from this E3 :ROFLMAO: (I'm laughing but those are real teardrops).

The guy had to swap appointments since he had 2-3 hands-on to prioritize (FF7, COD and star wars), so he managed to go to CP only on the third day (2 guys from his website went on the first day, the other 2 on the second day, though, and all agree on the same aspects: glorious role playing and graphics on high-end PC, animations and gunplay look worse than 1 year ago). Don't know if the interview took place at all at this point. :sad: They'll be coming back tonight, so I don't expect any news until early next week.

Barring animations and the loot system, what else has disappointed you? 75% of what I've heard has been positive, especially compared to the alternatives (Witcher 3) in many areas.

Last edited:
Yes, Kofe, this has been a common theme with you over the years.

I'm just being consistent with what I consider "important", "unimportant" and "whatever" for a game.

However, at some point you just have to accept that yes, for many people, the animations actually do impact how the game feels.

Oh, I accept it. Really. You don't hear me telling people to get their shit together and set their priorities straight. And I certainly don't scold or reject good animations. But the thing that strikes me is the sheer weight people put on things like that (animation, graphics, voice acting....). I mean I saw a youtuber give impressions on The Outer Worlds. He said it looks fun to play and looks decent and what not. But he also concluded it's looking to be a massive disappointment and the only discernable reason that could be taken from his video: lip sync and facial animations, nothing else. Fun game, but setting out to disappoint because NPC faces don't operate on a certain motoric level.

Jesus god, man. :D The importance of visual design is raised to such ridiculous heights these days it's not even funny anymore. And yet I laugh.

And you hear stuff like that that for almost every game. And being a person of rather simple and practical tastes (in this regard), it confuzzles me.

In this interview Kasia mentions different art styles they developed to differentiate the people, places and dates in the game. Entropy, Kitsch, Neomilitarism, Glamour etc. We can see the Entropy theme in this latest screen:

It never ceases to amaze me how much research CDPR do when creating their games.
Their lore and world building is simply on another level. I wouldn't have even thought of something like this.

As to the above interview by YongYea, I just noticed that here, the CDPR employee (didn't catch the name, sorry) referred to the 2018 video as "the prologue". I find this very interesting and tbh its what it looked like. It might as well be your very first hours in the game.

The interviewer asked her in 1:55... "i think you got rid of the cover system??"

I'm just being consistent with what I consider "important", "unimportant" and "whatever" for a game.

Oh, I accept it. Really. You don't hear me telling people to get their shit together and set their priorities straight. And I certainly don't scold or reject good animations. But the thing that strikes me is the sheer weight people put on things like that (animation, graphics, voice acting....). I mean I saw a youtuber give impressions on The Outer Worlds. He said it looks fun to play and looks decent and what not. But he also concluded it's looking to be a massive disappointment and the only discernable reason that could be taken from his video: lip sync and facial animations, nothing else. Fun game, but setting out to disappoint because NPC faces don't operate on a certain motoric level.

Jesus god, man. :D The importance of visual design is raised to such ridiculous heights these days it's not even funny anymore. And yet I laugh.

And you hear stuff like that that for almost every game. And being a person of rather simple and practical tastes (in this regard), it confuzzles me.
It wasn't an insult -- as I said, I respect it. ;)

I get you. It's just not important in your eyes.

And honestly, even for me, if a game has extremely good mechanics on every other level, I can forgive just about anything visual related so long as it's not a blatant animation or graphical glitch ( a gun continuing to fire without bullets coming out, for example, or part of the world missing ).

So, for me, I'd say it's weighted about... 70% mechanics, 25% animations, 5% other visual elements. Whereas for you it's probably closer to 90/5/5. :p If that.

It wasn't an insult -- as I said, I respect it. ;)

Yeah, I didn't take it as one. I tend to speak (write) straight and with a certain tone, so it might seem sometimes that I'm raging and frothing over the keyboard, but I never do. I don't take board conversations personally even if I might respond in kind when someone calls me an ass (which you didn't). ;)

Text is a not an optimal form of communication because it lacks physical gestures, expressions and tones of voice.

Whereas for you it's probably closer to 90/5/5.

Something like that.

I have one exception, though... Two Worlds. The voice work in that game was earbleedingly horrible. Fun at first, but in the long run... Yeah, no. Does that make me a hypocrite? :D

Barring animations and the loot system, what else has disappointed you? 75% of what I've heard has been positive, at least, especially compared to the alternative (Witcher 3) in many areas.
don't think it's the appropriate topic, but to make it brief (critical point are underlined):
-animations
-levels
-perks that unlock +x% DMG (HUGE disappointment, as bad as levels, if not worse)
-loot (lack of info, we don't really know how it is)
-stiff driving
-probably minimap instead of compass, but I need to see it with my eyes first (it can end up in "follow the yellow line" as in TW3)
-life path choices seems to be reduced
-no video gameplay, on the contrary we got a useless (IMHO) CGI
-keanu reeves focused all the attention so we didn't get many info about gameplay
(-E3 in general was 99% CGI, who cares?)

Thinks I liked (and which kofeiiniturpa shouldn't read for any reason :p) :
-stealth seems to work and be vary (BUT we need to see how AI behaves: it could end up being overpower with NPC being idiots or the other way round)
-hacking is a minigame: increases immersion because you are """actually hacking""" and not just pointing and clicking. BUT it needs to be done right, though.
-skill checks as hard gates (= no RNG. BUT I'd prefer that choices I can't take are not shown at all since it decreases immersion: "you could have spoken about hacking, but you're not good enough. Too bad, think again in your next play through". Show me only actions I can perform, it should be easy to code: "if requirement are satisfied then show it". I think O.O )
-weapons can be modded (BUT I don't want to see macgywer shit: 3 screws + copper wire + lemon + glass = thermal scope)
-CDPR is hiring 5 devs for animations (BUT it sounds a little late now)

A lot of "but" here as you can read.

Last edited:
-probably minimap instead of compass, but I need to see it with my eyes first (it can end up in "follow the yellow line" as in TW3)

Pretty much the only thing I disagree with. I love minimaps. My guess is we'll get both, though.

I am also quite disappointed by a lot of the interviews we've seen so far. So many of them focus on Keanu, Keanu, Keanu, as you said. Blech. I like the guy a lot, but does EVERY outlet need to hear the same story behind how Keanu joined the project?

Cool interview with @MilezZ.

New Bits:
- Additional slots on cyberware like arms/legs to allow additonal tools/uses.
- Watson is inspired by Tokyo
- Vehicles created a huge challenge as far as scale of the world is concerned. Accommodating conversations in cars, speed of interesting things popping up in dense world, etc.
- Locations and levels are designed to be lived in and believable places, where everything has to have a logical explanation for why it's there. Thought about things like, how would the butcher shop be organized, where does the food come from, and other things like that.
- Some discussion on how perks are non-linear tree that helps to create class of our own.
- Johnny Silverhand is described as a co-protagonist
- Pillars of game are open world, gripping narrative, & freedom of gameplay
- Confirmation of various clothing options for style

Last edited:
Pretty much the only thing I disagree with. I love minimaps. My guess is we'll get both, though.
Yeah I feel like it'll likely be both too.
Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problems with minimaps, at all. I like them, they do their job extremely well, but I always fear that they're vital to play the game (like levels or DMG numbers: you can disable tham from HUD, but you can't play properly if the game is based on them). The compass may give some problem when you need to get somewhere very precisely (skyrim and fallout) or when driving (and I suggested a big arrow on HUD or something like the division), but on the other hand make you look at the screen without really need to focus somewhere else.It's not a real complaint, I want to see how it looks like first. I wrote "probably", in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom