Post-game content

+
In Witcher 3 when the game ended Dandelion, Ciri, Yen, EVERYONE disappeared. Their characters just left the game. At the end of the Blood and Wine DLC a single one of them comes back depending on your decisions -- and you can't really interact with them outside of like 4 repeatable dialogue options.

I LOVED those characters. More than almost any other fictional characters I've seen. I know I'll love some of the characters in 2077 too and I really hope CDPR allows us to continue living in this world and engaging with our favorite characters in a meaningful way after the main storyline. Because once W3 was over the world felt so lonely I had to restart. You spend all that time finding your daughter and then she, and everyone you've been working with, just disappears out of nowhere.

What do you guys think? Friends, romantic partners? Will they all just disappear or will they remain in our games after we've beat the story?

It'll probably depend how the game ends, I think... If it ends and we can still play I think the characters will be at least more interact-able than that. I'm expecting a lot of the interactions in Cyberpunk to be more than just pieces of a story. This is just me thinking positively though because I agree, I love when a game is still enjoyable outside of the main story because many tend to just feel empty.

Assuming the game just doesn't end 'the hard way' after finishing, ideally the end-game is 'meaningful' enough to allow you to theoretically play indefinitely. This should include being able to interact with notable characters that are left over. At the very least, beyond a few dialogue lines. On the other hand, what do people expect here specifically?

In an ideal world I'd be able to encounter various characters not just in the same spot (unless it makes sense for them) but in different areas (if that, in turn, makes sense for them). Do not have them in the same position (same chair, same corner, etc), have some variation. That's the minimum or basics I'd say. Anything more requires a certain higher investment, such as more options for interaction. Since "classic companions" are ruled out as far as I know that begs the question how you can make them seem interesting once they have played their part in the main narrative.

Many possibilities here, but I can only speculate. Have some of them, if it makes sense, continue to be or start turning into a contract giver or so meaning you have an incentive to come and go. Give them more than a few dialogue lines or dynamic dialogue that reacts to the world, even if it's just shitty weather.

A good end-game for me is something that I can in theory continue indefinitely in an open world after I have completed the main plot. If I feel like I actually have diminished options or limited room, I might as well enjoy an open world from a prior save where potentially more action is going on than in a potentially stale post-plot game.

Long story short I hope they spice up the end-game with various things. Including having certain characters around beyond a few dialogue lines.

Well... don't worry... Ciri will make a cameo appearance in CP2077, so you'll get to chill with her there ;)

"But, as it turns out, [Game Director] Badowski would rather that goof hadn’t gone so far.

“We are not Kingdom Hearts,” he told me. “We are not joining universes, and I know that there are a lot of fans on the team and they would like to have Ciri in the game. But I am totally against it, still.” "

@Sardukhar

Well, my own stance about that is:

People will get over it.

Now I didn't play Witcher myself but I am roughly aware of the latest plot, watched a bit of a Let's Play and I know Ciri. Perhaps "I (still) don't get it" compared to those who played and are vocal about a Ciri cameo (not just a mild or obscure reference but the character actually appearing), so maybe it's easy for me to say, but to repeat myself:

People will get over Ciri not appearing. :shrug:

Cyberpunk 2077 will make room for many new interesting characters. Let's focus on those I say. And if mods will be a solid thing, have fun modding Ciri in I suppose.

Guest 4361521

guys it's a video game. never understood why people get so emotionally attached to fictional characters :facepalm:

Guest 4361521

it's just strange that after the campaign, these people are nowhere to be found, even though they own property in a bunch of places

are they all on holiday?
don't know man, they're all digital ones and zeros you know, although there have been times i wondered what npcs do once i turn off the game. lol

Well... don't worry... Ciri will make a cameo appearance in CP2077, so you'll get to chill with her there ;)

What Ciri described (in the game) was basically a typical futuristic dystopian world and not necessarily CP. The first time I got to this famous speech, I was thinking Deus Ex :p

Assuming the game just doesn't end 'the hard way' after finishing, ideally the end-game is 'meaningful' enough to allow you to theoretically play indefinitely. This should include being able to interact with notable characters that are left over. At the very least, beyond a few dialogue lines. On the other hand, what do people expect here specifically?

In an ideal world I'd be able to encounter various characters not just in the same spot (unless it makes sense for them) but in different areas (if that, in turn, makes sense for them). Do not have them in the same position (same chair, same corner, etc), have some variation. That's the minimum or basics I'd say. Anything more requires a certain higher investment, such as more options for interaction. Since "classic companions" are ruled out as far as I know that begs the question how you can make them seem interesting once they have played their part in the main narrative.

Many possibilities here, but I can only speculate. Have some of them, if it makes sense, continue to be or start turning into a contract giver or so meaning you have an incentive to come and go. Give them more than a few dialogue lines or dynamic dialogue that reacts to the world, even if it's just shitty weather.

A good end-game for me is something that I can in theory continue indefinitely in an open world after I have completed the main plot. If I feel like I actually have diminished options or limited room, I might as well enjoy an open world from a prior save where potentially more action is going on than in a potentially stale post-plot game.

Long story short I hope they spice up the end-game with various things. Including having certain characters around beyond a few dialogue lines.

It depends on how the NPCs are built : scripted encounters based on the quest line ? or they all have a lifelike, everyday schedule like in Shenmue ? I place my bet on the first one.

But I totally agree on your point, I'd like to have an influence on the friendly NPCs I know through various means, and not just meeting them at the same bar in the same spot, repeating the same line of dialogue through and through. I would wanna share moments of fun after the main quest, maybe picking them up to go somewhere, doing stuff around. It doesn't even need plentiful of dialogues to make that realistic.

Here's what we know:
The game will have no established companion system. So, you won't be able to take your favorite characters with you on your journeys. Apart from Keanu, that is.

However, the game will have the ability to "bring one night stands to your apartment." One could assume that also means you can bring friends or long term romances to your apartment for various platonic activities or cutscenes.

Also, on a side note, I hope there are radiant sex scenes with romantic partners. It really ticked me off that prostitutes in Witcher 3 had infinite sex scenes but the meaningful relationships Geralt established with Triss and Yen only resulted in one or two.
Post automatically merged:

I guess for me it all comes down to wether or not I'll be able to live in the game world outside of the storyline.

I loved the story of Witcher 3. Way more than I enjoyed Skyrim.

And yet, I've played Witcher twice (maybe 200 hours total) and Skyrim probably 6 different times with at least 2,000 hours.
There's just so much to do in that world outside of the game it's hard not to go back for me. Customizable property, friendships and relationships that continue after the game.

If everything you built a connection with over 60+ hours of the main quest disappears after the story ends, I'll get 2 playthroughs max out of this. A stealth hacker run and a heavy solo.

I doubt I'll invest thousands of hours in the world if it isn't explorable and meaningful outside of the quests.

Last edited:
If everything you built a connection with over 60+ hours of the main quest disappears after the story ends, I'll get 2 playthroughs max out of this. A stealth hacker run and a heavy solo.

That is, perhaps, a good summary or gist of it. I already have this "issue" with more linear games that you play from start to finish where the story ends with the credits rolling and the game is done. Often many shooters 'suffer' from this. I personally favor open world RPGs and similar with more freedom of choice, less "rails" to run on, bigger worlds than simple restricted maps.

But even there it would be a shame if the end-game becomes too narrow and limited, especially or specifically after finishing a main plot. While CP will already offer many benefits with its open world approach over linear plots in other games based on limited maps, I do not necessarily want to feel like I'd have to reload to some mid-game save to enjoy the world because finishing the plot cuts off too many opportunities and ties, meaning the game kinda becomes "dead".

The real trick here will be to add meaningful post-plot encounters, opportunities and interactions with other factions or people. Ideally it's some kind of open end that sees enough focus to not seem suddenly very stale opposed to before where you had a plot to follow. There's many many ways to enhance or support this, just like there's many ways to ruin it.

Perhaps it could also help to suddenly "unlock" or focus on new types of gameplay or so that you really didn't mind before or couldn't logically or easily pursue, in simpler terms meaning the end game offering you new gameplay opportunities. A simple example to get the point across, maybe over the course of the plot V becomes influential and can run smaller or moderately sized gangs or corpo outfits or whatever else you can think of, and factions (due to plot reasons) start vying for certain territories where V can take an active side or stance.

It's unlikely to assume we get to see dynamic faction conquering of certain areas as a notable gameplay aspect the player can take part in mid to late game. But if there were no time or practical (resource) restraints, from a simple consumer POV I'd say yes, it would be friggin cool to have.

Long story short though, if they fill the open world with enough meaningful things to do beyond and regardless of the main plot, then it shouldn't be an issue.

"But, as it turns out, [Game Director] Badowski would rather that goof hadn’t gone so far.

“We are not Kingdom Hearts,” he told me. “We are not joining universes, and I know that there are a lot of fans on the team and they would like to have Ciri in the game. But I am totally against it, still.” "

But Ciri told she was in a world that looked a lot like Cyberpunk 2077!

Guest 4361521

Any good game / book / TV show / Movie makes you care about the characters . Who wasn`t sad when Visamere died or happy when the bad guy gets what coming to him in whatever form of media you want.
eh it never happened to me. maybe once when i was a child but as a grown adult i can tell the difference between fiction and real life
Post automatically merged:

Because that's what happens when immersion worked on you (and BTW, from a biological point of view video games are by far the most immersive media, because interractivity makes your brain classify it as some sort of reality).
lol i don't think i ever felt emotional playing a video game before but i see you mean

I think it's a good idea not to have characters from the story disappear. But how exactly do you implement that? Quest are over during endgame. Would they just give these characters random lines of dialogue? Like I would much rather they add more simulation activities to do within the world, so end-game could be much bearable. For example dancing, poker, or even allowing your player to sit and eat at a diner.

Top Bottom