Are we over-hyping the game?

+
After the announcement from the games art director that there would only be one apartment, hearing that it's impossible to have a true "human playthrough", getting little to no details about companions or if we'll be able to interact with our favorite characters after the game... I'm starting to question how much of a game there's gonna be outside of the main quest line.

I suppose all the hype came from the possibilities. I was hoping for an RPG where I could do whatever I wanted to in Night City (within reason). It's starting to seem like, either we're rushing them to finish the game or they've decided story takes place over freedom of gameplay.

I don't doubt it'll be one of the best game stories I've ever played through. But, I'm also thinking it's gonna lack in depth once the story's over.

I can't imagine being in this world, having millions, and not being able to buy or customize apartments. I won't say it's killed my hype, but it's making me think more realistically about what to expect. I'd rather set my expectations low and be amazed by what we get than have high expectations and be disappointed.

I'd agree with self-induced overhype. But in the case for apartments for example, the disappointment primarily comes from them first saying it would be possible to own / use several apartments and / or customize them. If they then say it won't be possible and you will get less than that, then it will be perceived as a downgrade and that will obviously result in disappointment on an abstract level.

That's a difference to possibly expecting too much and making up things that were perhaps never really or specifically confirmed.

So one should try to differentiate and in the end, "downgrades" or not, we'll see with release at the latest. But perhaps one should have "grounded expectations", too much and you might get disappointed. But that's a general aspect.

No I don't think so. CDPR are amazing story tellers and I have no doubt CP2077 will be GOTY

No one's doubting that. I'm doubting what will exist in the game outside of the story.
Take Red Dead Redemption 2. Phenomenal story, great fun. Once the game is over, all your favorite characters are either gone or can't be interacted with meaningfully and the world itself feels empty.

Rockstar probably chose to make the post game like that to keep people going Online. But it seems like CDPR is making the same choice here. Make an amazing story and don't worry about the post game content.

Each time something we wanted is not in the game we get a little disappointed but it`s a long time before the games comes out so we will get over it . Get on the hype train or get run over by it ;)

We should surely keep that in check. But excepting things that are not over-ambitious isn't exactly toxic, it expresses that you really do care about what they are doing and want it to be as good as it can possibly be.
Having another room for you certainly isn't asking too much, it's a pretty standard thing in open-world games

Edit: But I do really fear, like you, that the open-world is going to be all look, no real substance. I'm prepared to be disappointed on that front

This is exactly what happened with The Witcher 3 on these forums.

And you know what? It was still a really good game. It didn't live up to all the overhype obviously but looking back at it the things we worried about all seem so minor now.

So my advice is: don't overthink the minor things too much, you'll look back at it and think to yourselves it was all just small details. Focus on the bigger picture, there's no perfect game that caters to all your wants and desires. Just enjoy it for what it is.

PLENTY of unrealistic expectations. A lot of people are overhyping the game. Reading some posts, it feels like it has to fulfill wildest dreams...

I personally don't, because I know pretty much what I will get. I'm excited for that, because it's more than enough for me, considering gaming landscape these days.

So my advice is: don't overthink the minor things too much, you'll look back at it and think to yourselves it was all just small details. Focus on the bigger picture, there's no perfect game that caters to all your wants and desires. Just enjoy it for what it is.

While disappointment about some things lingers (and will linger), to be fair: Amen.

After the announcement from the games art director that there would only be one apartment, hearing that it's impossible to have a true "human playthrough", getting little to no details about companions or if we'll be able to interact with our favorite characters after the game... I'm starting to question how much of a game there's gonna be outside of the main quest line.

I suppose all the hype came from the possibilities. I was hoping for an RPG where I could do whatever I wanted to in Night City (within reason). It's starting to seem like, either we're rushing them to finish the game or they've decided story takes place over freedom of gameplay.

I don't doubt it'll be one of the best game stories I've ever played through. But, I'm also thinking it's gonna lack in depth once the story's over.

I can't imagine being in this world, having millions, and not being able to buy or customize apartments. I won't say it's killed my hype, but it's making me think more realistically about what to expect. I'd rather set my expectations low and be amazed by what we get than have high expectations and be disappointed.

Yes, I think some of us overhyped this game and most of the hype did came from the possibilities.

I think there is a combination of two main factors contributing to this...

1. The incredibly rich CP 2020 world described in the various Talsorian Chromebooks and the Night City sourcebook...
For example...
You can choose which 9mm pistol you want to buy out of more than 10 different brands.
Same thing with 10mm pistols, 11mm pistols, smgs, assault rifles, sniper rifles etc..

This huge variety applies to all the different things within the 2020 world like restaurants, bars, hotels, ripperdoc clinics, car models, shopping malls, even gangs.

2. The comparison with other modern era open world games, (mainly GTAV) where the sense of ownership is key (houses, cars, planes, boats, shops etc)

I'm just going along with what CDPR have already confirmed, but I'm not being unrealistic. I'm looking forward to exploring the world and meeting the characters. I don't know what people are expecting exactly. I don't care if V only has one apartment. It'd be cool if we can change the colour of our vehicles and guns, but the story and characters are the most important part for me. I know CDPR will nail it tho. I'm more concerned about the statue in the CE now that I've seen the problems with TW3 statue... lol

Last edited:
The one apartment only thread has certainly subdued what i thought the game's story and freedom would be.
Still poor V at the end with his bachelor pad.

No one's doubting that. I'm doubting what will exist in the game outside of the story.
Take Red Dead Redemption 2. Phenomenal story, great fun. Once the game is over, all your favorite characters are either gone or can't be interacted with meaningfully and the world itself feels empty.

Rockstar probably chose to make the post game like that to keep people going Online. But it seems like CDPR is making the same choice here. Make an amazing story and don't worry about the post content.
I never played RDR2. I dunno if you'll be able to roam the city after you've completed the story (depending on the ending). I'm just gunna restart the game and play a different V.

...Have you seen some of the expectations people on these forums have for this game? It's overhyped as fuck.

CDPR could deliver on 90% of what people on here are asking for and still have people disappointed.

It's ridiculous.

After finding out that V will only have one apartment and you can't decorate it, yes. I feel as though the game is over-hyped just a bit. There are more things that may have been cut that we don't even know about. So I think it's time for me to tamper my expectations a lot more and realize this game may just be deus ex with a bit more RPG elements.

I'd agree with self-induced overhype. But in the case for apartments for example, the disappointment primarily comes from them first saying it would be possible to own / use several apartments and / or customize them. If they then say it won't be possible and you will get less than that, then it will be perceived as a downgrade and that will obviously result in disappointment on an abstract level.

That's a difference to possibly expecting too much and making up things that were perhaps never really or specifically confirmed.

So one should try to differentiate and in the end, "downgrades" or not, we'll see with release at the latest. But perhaps one should have "grounded expectations", too much and you might get disappointed. But that's a general aspect.

I agree with this. CDPR previously affirmatively replied from their Facebook account that there would be more apartments to unlock/buy.

We know from the below snippet from the hidden readme file that they want to build hype:
"why is the gameplay not being released right away?". The reason is we want to make the most out of the months of work we put into the demo and first showcase gameplay live at E3 and gamescom. Releasing gameplay right away would make the gamescom presentations pointless and would significantly limit our chance to build hype. Why do we need to build hype? To get more gamers interested in CP2077 and, hopefully, convince them to give it a go. We are putting our hearts and souls into making CP2077 a great game and we would like as many gamers as possible to find out about it and experience its amazing story. Also, hype can turn into sales (after all, we are not a charity), and good sales allow us to grow, take creative risks and deliver new, great games for you to enjoy.

So maybe it would be an idea to temper that hype by informing CP2077 followers of features they may have previously suggested would be present but now know are not going to make it into the finished game (Is it only the apartment stuff?) - to avoid backlash further down the road when we do get to see the 2019 gameplay.

Top Bottom