Claim your free otherworldly border!

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED

To celebrate the launch of pre-orders for Cyberpunk 2077 we have an awesome new border coming to GWENT! You can get it by logging into GWENT on your platform of choice starting today till June 14th at noon!

Don't miss out!

DRK3

Forum veteran
Was seeing the Microsoft conference, cant wait for April 2020!

And im getting and using that new shiny border, thanks.

Today i found that i have this border (the blue one) and i don't know where it came from. Does anyone know???
i know this isn't the right chanel but i cant post in general chanel
1560127679884.png

I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, I like sci-fi genre, I even currently play XCOM bought in GOG store, but still I think, border like this has no place in fantasy world of Gwent. Sorry guys, but you are "spoiling it" by out of place, out of time, out of genre crash of ideas. In other words, somebody was "too overly creative".

Presented as an unavoidable gift, I see this as a subtle way of in-game advertising, always visible in your borders collection and working through fans of Cyberpunk 2077 who use this border. I intentionally did not log in the last few days as this border does not belong in Gwent and I don't even want to see it in my collection, but I just saw that I got it anyway. This is coming from someone who looks much forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077. This border is messing with Gwent's identity and brand. What's next, some Cyberpunk 2077 cards?

It's just a border, one you can choose not to use. It's even called 'otherwordly', probably precisely because it's so out of place in the Witcher universe. It's not the first Cyberpunk(ish) reference in the Witcher universe games, either.

Personally, I'm not going to use the trinket because I doubt I'll ever change my border, but I also don't see why other players shouldn't be able to show their enthusiasm for the upcoming title with that small detail. Its presence doesn't hurt the game in any way because borders have next to no effect on anything; they're not big enough to even really distract one from the visuals and they certainly don't affect gameplay.

A tiny CDPR game reference in another CDPR game -- I see nothing wrong with that. It's just a detail like those red cardinals that can be spotted in several CDPR games, really.

Its presence doesn't hurt the game in any way because borders have next to no effect on anything
That's clearly not the case unless you completely ignore some posts here. Gwent is much about visuals, including borders.

A tiny CDPR game reference in another CDPR game -- I see nothing wrong with that. It's just a detail like those red cardinals that can be spotted in several CDPR games, really.
A red cardinal of the developer's logo is quite different from a border in Gwent in the style of a game that hasn't been released yet and still has to prove itself, with direct reference made to the game and its pre-order launch when presenting/giving the new border. I know a bit how marketing and advertising works.

Last edited:
Gwent is much about visuals, including borders.
That's an opinion, just like what I wrote was. Sure, one can choose to get annoyed at tiny details that are only ever visible for a fraction of the time one spends on the game, but I'd say the overall look is what matters. Besides, there are other borders with similar colours (light blue and yellow) so this one really doesn't stand out that much unless you really focus on it.

Yeah, of course the border is a(n indirect) way to advertise/promote Cyberpunk 2077, but a simple trinket is quite a subtle way of doing that. Plus like I already mentioned, the two universes have been linked in the past as well.

All in all, I still see no harm whatsoever in having the border in the game. It might even combo quite nicely with some of the avatars, as far as colours go.

That's an opinion, just like what I wrote was.
Oh come on. "Gwent is much about visuals, including borders" is an opinion?
Yeah, of course the border is a(n indirect) way to advertise/promote Cyberpunk 2077
Thank you for recognizing that. Calling it "otherworldly border" doesn't help, but instead shows that it was done purposefully and with full awareness of going against Gwent's identity. When I play Gwent, I don't like to see an out-of-place border that is a reference to a pre-order launch of a completely different game. Wasn't player immersion a big thing for CDPR?

"Gwent is much about visuals, including borders" is an opinion?
The borders part is when going into details; on a general level this border is just blue and yellow. Some of the other borders are a lot more distracting, in my opinion.

As for immersion, it's an extremely subjective thing. Some find this border breaks immersion, others find cards based on real people break immersion, and so on. Nothing wrong with any of such views, but it is impossible to please everyone.

Personally, I think all trinkets are less than immersive (and for a very long time I chose to go without a border for that very reason) -- but I use them because I find they enhance the game in other ways. Just like the otherworldly border allows players to show that they're looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077.

I do see where you're coming from, and why the border can be considered too out of place. My initial reaction to the news was, in fact, rather similar. Now I think it was a neat addition that others can enjoy if they so choose -- or they can let it sit in a pile of trinkets they'll never use, which is what I'm doing. Customization options are, to me, a positive thing even if I myself don't use them.

for a very long time I chose to go without a border for that very reason
It is really unbelievable how many borders have been created and yet designers were unable to create at least one "simple normal plain border" without any ornaments and girlandas. Really just the most basic thing, the simpliest simplicity, the purest practicality. They are really unable to create at least one usable non-distractive border for somebody with conservative views. Border without any smoothing and decoration, just straight thin edges around picture. Something like this http://images.linnlive.com/c773d49a2bdaf759b0c8f16e4896f7c5/84373244-7038-4370-80ee-116a789f07c7.jpg
All I ask is just some dark colour thin lines around picture without any "lets make our wild phantasies live" approach.

Is it really so much to ask? Looks like it is and for that reason, I do not use any border at all, because none of them is suitable for purpose of picture borders, where the main point is the picture, not the borders.

Top Bottom