Dear Devs: Please don't take the RPG out of Cyberpunk 2077, don't make it only an Action-Adventure, but more importantly: talk to us, please.

+

Which would you prefer?

• Full-blown RPG

• Action Adventure

• Any old mix thereof

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's asking for an official statement - CDPR gets a lot of those requests.

His official statement is for, what? CDPR to say it's an RPG? They've said that repeatedly. Officially.

And he did suggest that it would be best for preorders if they did this now or soon. Preorders are going well, most people don't seem to need another statement that it's an RPG.

It's an RPG.

And as for getting a clearer picture of what the game is, that would be quite some statement. There are plenty of initerviews and reports and even some gameplay, with more on the way.

There will be lots more interviews and reports as well. The game is an RPG. That's it.
Nah. A statement on the two points I mentioned. The game's RPG status is not what's being questioned in this particular line of discussion, at least from my perspective. (EDIT: Edited my wording because obviously, the title of this thread is "don't take the RPG out of cyberpunk," but that's not really what it's about, in my opinion -- it's two specific parts of the game that are not necessarily tied to RPGs).

What is the point here is, I and others would love to understand their reasoning behind V only having one apartment, and the decision to can two lifepath decisions (or, at least one that has been confirmed to be gone). If they don't want to offer that information, that's fine. But there's nothing wrong with asking for such a statement and offering (polite) feedback. After all, if it weren't for that feedback, there would be no CE coming to the US for PC users. If it weren't for feedback, they would not have added a purely non-lethal path to the game (the latter was mentioned by the devs themselves in an interview -- feedback changed their mind).

In other words, it can't hurt to try, so long as you try in a way that is both respectful and reasonable.

I understand you mods are undoubtedly removing/deleting a lot of posts that cross the line so my perception may be skewed, but I'm actually quite impressed with how reasonable 80% of the people on the forums are being; even post-E3. Nice to see.

This is a dead horse I've been beating for years.

CP2077 is what it is, a shooter with RPG elements and that's not going to change.

Pretty much. How those ”elements” work exactly, is still shrouded, though.

I’m still having ny fingers crossed for the smart guns and a number of other things to work in a certain way, but these things don’t have the tendency to roll my way. So... we’ll see.

Last edited:
Nah. A statement on the two points I mentioned. The game's RPG status is not what's being questioned here, at least from my perspective.

I'd love to understand their reasoning behind one apartment, and the decision to can two lifepath decisions (or, at least one that has been confirmed to be gone).

If they don't want to offer that information, that's fine. But there's nothing wrong with asking for such a statement and offering (polite) feedback. After all, if it weren't for that feedback, there would be no CE coming to the US for PC users. If it weren't for feedback, they would not have added a purely non-lethal path to the game.

In other words, it can't hurt to try, so long as you try in a way that is both respectful and reasonable.

Yes, "we made a change!" is not an open invitation to have all your questions answered.

The CE was hardly surprising. I mean, the entire NA market for PC, no? That took thousands and thousands of people and it was much much more important than "why don't I get more than one apartment?"

It is very much a challenge of it being an RPG. Actually in the topic.

Oh and the pacifist run through is not Cyberpunk. Really wish it hadn't happened. Just made everyone who does kill some kind of murdering sadist. Cyberpunk is based on realistic concepts - people kill in combat because they have no choice. A pacifist run-through is very video-game-ey and, from a Cpunk perspective, utterly silly. Trying to imagine stopping a Cyberpsycho with non-lethal for a living. Or Arasaka Black Ops with stun darts. Nope! Only in video game world.

Hello I am still of the opinion that CDPR giving the character a name and forcing cyber/appearance options on us dilutes the RPG nature of what they promised. I want to create my own character. I want to be the one to define who he is, what he looks like and where he came from. He'll I'm not happy he/she is even voiced to be honest.

Yes, "we made a change!" is not an open invitation to have all your questions answered.
When did I say it was? The developers are adults. They can and will decide which questions they won't answer for themselves. If we are asking politely, as far as I can tell, there's no reason we shouldn't be allowed to (and yes, I'm aware that you aren't preventing us from doing so; it was a general comment).

The CE was hardly surprising. I mean, the entire NA market for PC, no? Sure wasn't the forums that made that happen. Taht took thousands and it much much more important than "why don't I get more than one apartment?"

Oh, trust me, I'm aware how little our specific forum feedback matters. As such, I wasn't specifically talking about the forums, but community feedback in general. If nobody had expressed their concerns, they likely wouldn't have changed their mind. If you feel otherwise, just bear in mind that they confirmed as much themselves on Twitter with a "We heard your requests and have decided to XYZ."

Oh and the pacifist run through is not Cyberpunk. Really wish it hadn't happened. Just made everyone who does kill some kind of murdering sadist. Cyberpunk is based on realistic concepts - people kill in combat because they have no choice. A pacifist run-through is very video-game-ey and, from a Cpunk perspective, utterly silly. Trying to imagine stopping a Cyberpsycho with non-lethal for a living. Or Arasaka Black Ops with stun darts. Nope! Only in video game world.

Well. That's neither here nor there. The point is, the decision was changed based on feedback. I have precisely zero interest in getting into a debate on what is and isn't Cyberpunk, because I feel it's no different than discussing what is and isn't an RPG. I can only have the "BLADE RUNNER ISNT TRUE CYBERPUNK!111" argument a few dozen times before it wears thin, and similarly, I can only have the "but you have to trust noone ever ever to survive in a Cyberpunk world!!" a few dozen times before it too wears thin.

Hello I am still of the opinion that CDPR giving the character a name and forcing cyber/appearance options on us dilutes the RPG nature of what they promised. I want to create my own character. I want to be the one to define who he is, what he looks like and where he came from. He'll I'm not happy he/she is even voiced to be honest.

Hi again, Wisdom. Nice to see you.

The CE was hardly surprising. I mean, the entire NA market for PC, no? That took thousands and thousands of people and it was much much more important than "why don't I get more than one apartment?"

It is very much a challenge of it being an RPG. Actually in the topic.

It's also entirely pointless as unless you encounter those NPC's that you "knocked out" again later, then they are functionally dead.

True.

Unless the game keeps a bloodcount on the player and has reactivity upon it.
Which is how I imagine it will be handled. I could be wrong, but I do believe the game will react to your decision to play non-lethally. Thus, not pointless, at least not from my perspective.

It's not exactly a revolutionary concept; plenty of other games react to that very decision, and if CDPR is known for anything, it's story reactivity (gameplay reactivity; we both know you have some opinions on that ;) ).

Oh, I don't want to derail us too far, by the way, but typically -- in most games where you can knock people out -- their buddies can wake them up. This means the choice to knock people out is almost always going to be a more dangerous and risky one. But more rewarding, at least for me.

I voted mix since, nowadays, people mean different things by action adventure and I'm not even sure what full-blown rpg is, unless in its strictest sense. That along with the way games just blend elements and genres all the time now.

I think the one thing most people here can agree on is that the essential part of an rpg is being able to role-play a character and have a great story to go through, with choices and consequences. To live a fantasy life. There are other parts, but that's the big one, the soul of it if you will.

The other 'full-blown' rpg bits, such as character skill, turns, levels, are more mechanical. They're a means to an end. They are the rules and systems that allow the rpg bit to be enacted but they're not necessarily the rpg bit itself. They're traditional parts, obviously, but in video games things are more fluid and there are more options.

So with regard to the heart and soul of what makes an rpg shine, I see no reason why CP2077 can't have it in spades.

Last edited:
It's not exactly a revolutionary concept; plenty of other games react to that very decision, and if CDPR is known for anything, it's story reactivity (gameplay reactivity; we both know you have some opinions on that ;) ).

Yeah, the concept itself is not revolutionary, but I’m thinking stuff that goes a bit further in both story and gameplay reactivity with this thing.

I do agree with sard in certain terms here, though, that a complete pacifist run might not sound very CP, living on the edge and all that.

Yeah, the concept itself is not revolutionary, but I’m thinking stuff that goes a bit further in both story and gameplay reactivity with this thing.

I do agree with sard in certain terms here, though, that a complete pacifist run might not sound very CP, living on the edge and all that.
Yeah. I get his perspective. But from a gameplay enjoyment point of view, I'm glad it isn't what won out in the end, especially because it's 100% up to each player to be violent or non-violent.

In marketing terms, the terms 'action adventure' and 'RPG' are pretty nebulous- and it makes sense as there's a broad spectrum of games between 'increase dex +1 on your brooch' and 'just shoot anything that moves'- so it's hard to pigeon-hole many games into a single category.

I'm not going to call 2077 out for being an RPG or not until we see the actual game's skill trees, loadout options, life-choices, and the like.

I want to create my own character. I want to be the one to define who he is, what he looks like and where he came from. He'll I'm not happy he/she is even voiced to be honest.
I never expected something similar to Fallout 1-2 or Bloodlines 1, HOPED FOR, but never expected.

"True" RPGs are a smaller market, like it or not it's a fact. And as much as CDPR is very customer friendly they are a main stream developer thus aren't in the business of creating niche games. This is why I've been pushing the "dual mode" concept because there's no technical reason it can't be done. YES it would add to development time/cost, but probably no more then 5%.

Its hype time guys, they might play tricks on us. They give us mixed-signals to screw up our mind, to create the hype.

The RPG part is still there; We can shape V in different ways. Yes there's limits, but I hope you know what I mean. It's just their origin story that they seem to have changed. Most likely because of our interactions with, and the importance of, Johnny Silverhand.

This was kinda funny. They want to open transgender option for character creator.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/trans-characters
Post automatically merged:

Never trust devs during hype time. Its their marketting team whos pulling the strings now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom