Weekly Poll - 5/21/2019 - Crafting

+

How do you want crafting to work in Cyberpunk 2077?

• Total voters
4 and 8. I don't know what to think about crafting in this game in particular... Not to say that I'm against crafting, but I hope it doesn't break the immersion, doesn't step over other gameplay mechanics, or just make the game feel unnaturally grindy.

One question though : crafting what exactly ? I don't expect my char to be able to craft a quantum computer or a plasma arm-cannon with my pretty hands :shrug:

Prey has one of the coolest crafting mechanics I've seen in a game. Two machines, one that breaks down raw or unneeded materials and another to materialize them into the object.

With the age of 3d printing I'd say by 2077 anything could be made in this manner. It also made collecting junk awesome and purposeful when you know everything can be reused even the items you craft and end up not using.

I disagree, but since Prey is high in fiction and the universal printers are part of the gameplay system (or my assumption is that is the game design is dependent from this feature) I don't have any problem with this game. CP77 in the other hand is still fiction though, but it relies on some kind of realistic background. I find it hard to see ultimate 3D printers in Cyberpunk society since they would annihilate the need for the jobs that make the same purpose of crafting stuff from scraps.

I hope there is a way to, in punk fashion, modify all your stuff so that it will make your character more "bespoke".
Just like anyone who is really a "punk" will add patches and stickers to all of their stuff. Imagine if after all the things you crafted you could add "flair" to it by adding graffiti, lights, toys, more lethality ectect. Being able to artistically craft your stuff should be a mainstay, like you can continually make things function and look better/cooler throughout the game after you have crafted the base model for it. It would make crafting a more lasting experience and give people an incentive to hold onto loot that "grows on them". An increase in street cred could occur after that also.

Yes, I think that crafting could be more useful like this. But I've read that crafting could be exclusively applied for Techies, or mostly for them and less for the other Jobs, so this makes me ask the same question : what are we supposed to craft, what are the other requirements ? Do we need a special machine at home, or just our bare hands and a screwdriver ? I think it needs some special places or gears to be able to craft certain level of things or it will break the immersion.

Guest 4149880

4 and 8. I don't know what to think about crafting in this game in particular... Not to say that I'm against crafting, but I hope it doesn't break the immersion, doesn't step over other gameplay mechanics, or just make the game feel unnaturally grindy.

One question though : crafting what exactly ? I don't expect my char to be able to craft a quantum computer or a plasma arm-cannon with my pretty hands :shrug:

I disagree, but since Prey is high in fiction and the universal printers are part of the gameplay system (or my assumption is that is the game design is dependent from this feature) I don't have any problem with this game. CP77 in the other hand is still fiction though, but it relies on some kind of realistic background. I find it hard to see ultimate 3D printers in Cyberpunk society since they would annihilate the need for the jobs that make the same purpose of crafting stuff from scraps.

Mechanically, prey has a very good concept for stand alone crafting without* player skills system was my point, of course its not realistic to materialize a gun in seconds. Neither is it realistic to stich dermal grips into the skin within a few minutes using basically 3D printer tech and that's in 2077.

The question of what's fact or fiction, enough to be plausible within 2077 is somewhat subjective and a matter of gameplay design to a degree. Todays 3D printing technology allows the ability to create a huge variety of things in numerous type of material. Weapons, prosthetics, vehicles & aerospace parts, cloths, shoes, computer components. At the very least its a plausible solution to crafting in 2077 that would involve using resources from the world if that is indeed the system they use. But if things are crafted using junkyard scrap, that's its own crafting system altogether, but both have a place in this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think that crafting could be more useful like this. But I've read that crafting could be exclusively applied for Techies, or mostly for them and less for the other Jobs, so this makes me ask the same question : what are we supposed to craft, what are the other requirements ? Do we need a special machine at home, or just our bare hands and a screwdriver ? I think it needs some special places or gears to be able to craft certain level of things or it will break the immersion.

I am really hoping that most crafting is based on corporations and matching items/maybe mixing for custom stuff (that may or may not let items function to their full degree). Kinda like how if you have a BMW IRL then you have to take it somewhere that is familiar with BMW motors and who can get the parts...and it's expensive and a niche-type of thing.

Or it's DIY.

If you have a bunch of parts from Arasaka and know a techie that has worked on Arasaka stuff for years then it could work out for you. Whereas, some missions may be because you decide to put some weapon pieces together, and all you have to do first is break into a couple of dangerous places. Maybe your not putting you life at risk for crafting some stuff, but for some things you may absolutely have to go to a warehouse or lab or gang territory to get it made along the way for the story's sake.

I would love to see an almost fetishism for some parts, true techno-lust. Like you get them and your eager to put stuff together because you know it will be badass in the end, but the way it is crafted is integrated into the story. Some things could maybe be made at home(especially if a techie), with other things you have to find someone, then other things you have to go to specific locations and it could get chaotic. I really really hope it is not just a "bare hands and screw driver type o thing", but more integrated into the core story. Like there are reasons to crafting most things instead of buying them. To me it comes down to the idea that if you know all about an item...how to craft it,fix it, mod it....then you won't have to rely on someone to always fix it for you after it gets smashed a bit in firefights/melee battles.

If the crafting mechanics are also about personalization and the modifying of your gear after it is in it's base model form then it would add more degrees of customization. On top of that, there could be tactical reasons to make gear you find your own. If your walking around with the most shiny gun in the game, then I can only imagine someone may also want that weapon. If it is painted and decked out with custom stuff that is yours and yours alone, then it may decrease the chances of someone wanting to take it away and increase some street cred. Or you will be able to tell something is yours after it gets stolen, so you can get it back easily. That would be another mechanic there. If guns are stolen, and they could be stolen in various ways, they still keep their look for a while so that you may be able to identify them and get them back. Big maybe, but it would be cool.

Or imagine you finally craft an amazing katana, you find the same cloaking tech from the spider-bot at a Militech spot annnnnnd you thought it was a good idea to put them together. Enemies would only see a "handle" in your hand as their face splits.
And if someone jacked my katana...that was MY MFING JEDI KATANA...then I would want it back. Just sayin. It may be invisibleish, but I would also add lojack to items that really "grew on me".

If the crafting mechanics are also about personalization and the modifying of your gear after it is in it's base model form then it would add more degrees of customization. On top of that, there could be tactical reasons to make gear you find your own. If your walking around with the most shiny gun in the game, then I can only imagine someone may also want that weapon. [...] If guns are stolen, and they could be stolen in various ways, they still keep their look for a while so that you may be able to identify them and get them back. Big maybe, but it would be cool.

I can't agree more. I had the same ideas in mind when talking about gears and weapons a while back on this forum. Just that it's a whole thing, it would be absurd to just allow crafting alone and let you craft shiny neon armors and lightsaber-ish katanas if :
a) NOBODY would care (or say, if it didn't give you Streetcred pts)
b) NOBODY would want to kill you for looting 'em

Streetcred at the cost of being challenged or assaulted for that unique stuff. Yet you can still find a way to recover your lost items if you ask an informant about if he recently saw a dude in that unique neon armor. Or whatever technological solution comes in.

Guest 4211861

I don't want to craft anything.

I don't want to loot anything.

Don't waste my time.

I think that the best crafting should be done with the best crafting service providers unless V can be the greatest medtech ever or something.

I am really hoping that most crafting is based on corporations and matching items/maybe mixing for custom stuff (that may or may not let items function to their full degree). Kinda like how if you have a BMW IRL then you have to take it somewhere that is familiar with BMW motors and who can get the parts...and it's expensive and a niche-type of thing.
Depends.

I was once rebuilding a 1938 (yes 38) Buick and found that 1965 Cadillac break lines fit. Tho I also needed an RCA-6A6 vacuum tube to get the radio working again and had a devil of a time eventually finding one (if I was an actual electrical engineer I could have created a replacement out of modern transistors etc.).

Point is, some parts you can make do with, or modify, others you can't.

Most weapons can mount most types of scopes/sights but no matter how hard you try you can't make an assault rifle magazine work in a handgun (NOT including the cut down weapons that are "legally" handguns in the USA).

For the sake of simplicity in a video game just make parts semi-generic. Handgun parts don't work on rifles but will work on any handgun.

Crafting should not be as complicated as it's in most survival games. It should just be for making simple things like bombs or weapon upgrades.

Guest 4149880

Material recycler & Crafting machines in Prey. Would fit right into 2077 and would be awesome. Skill checks could even play a huge part into the RPG aspect in crafting higher value items. Collecting blueprints and program chips for the machines in the world and making "illegal" items with black market data.

craft.jpg
craft2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted that crafting should be done is certain places, be available for an economic advantage, and was torn between it being the best gear/ balanced.

In my opinion, crafting should be kind of like The Witcher 3. I don't wanna just craft disposable stuff I don't care about, but I do want to craft super high end stuff (like Witcher Gear's equivalent). It would also be neat to sell some stuff on the side.

I think as a balance, you can have two ways to acquire the best gear. The first would be super rare drops from some probably high security areas, and the second should be crafting. I think these two options should be equal in getting super unique stuff.

If you want it more "realistic", you could have gunsmiths craft for you, or order custom designer clothes that get enhanced by certain items you find in the game. 3D printing and stuff is also a very plausible explanation. Crafting itself could just be designing the item in a program and then imputing the materials.

Last edited:
I voted

1. Certainly linked to Techie
2. Would elevate the entire crafting system to the next level, as it hasn't been done alot in gaming
7. Added roleplaying possibility for early game money accumulation

Things id love to see: Advanced weapons can be disassembled and inspected to then be reattached to different weapons (if your skills are high enough)

Here to illustrate the point for those who don't know :
It's not a bad system, just as it's kept reasonably light. I don't want to have to actively manage an inventory that's half full of junk, nor have to craft items into other items and then to yet an other item before I can make the thing that's actually desired.

Perhaps a system like Prey's but the materials are handled like currency- if the deconstructer spits out 100gm of titanium, for example then that's just added to the count of how much titanium is already there, as opposed to having to choose whether you drop that, or that extra RPG round you just picked up.

Guest 4149880

It's not a bad system, just as it's kept reasonably light. I don't want to have to actively manage an inventory that's half full of junk, nor have to craft items into other items and then to yet an other item before I can make the thing that's actually desired.

Perhaps a system like Prey's but the materials are handled like currency- if the deconstructer spits out 100gm of titanium, for example then that's just added to the count of how much titanium is already there, as opposed to having to choose whether you drop that, or that extra RPG round you just picked up.

I can understand that.

I'm more on the side of Witcher 3/Prey of collecting a bunch of so called junk & items and repurposing them for something of better value. As long as it's fairly easy to organize. Which 2077 would be assuming it has tabs in the menu dedicated to crafting & backpack.

Prey literally has one button dedicated to storing junk items into the machines so collecting 100s of items and using them & only recycling the junk is so easy.

I like the currency Idea but maybe more for like black market trade/bartering because 2077 already has the Euro. But I like the idea of every item being multi-purpose, be it crafting or currency, rather then just thrown out.

Top Bottom