"V will have only one apartmant in the game." - Kasia Redesuik (gamestar.de interview)

+
WELL, WELL...

This is a HUGE disappointment. First of all you can't stay on the same location for long if you're around bad people. And you are. And second, if you do manage to keep your location hidden, you, as a slum kid would still strive to move up the ladder.

It is absolutely disappointing and sad.

At least let us rent certain spots, so it feels a bit more real. Keep only 2 true apartments. Start and endgame one.

This is totally bumming, Man idk am i mad sad or what. It's like i broke up with a girlfriend.

Not that i ever had one.

question: in cyberpunk 2020, are the players generally going to able to stuff their garage with limousines and sports cars? because that feature is still in the video game. it is confirmed that you can basically run around and steal any car you see gta style.

Yep. Arasaka isn't trying to kill your rented garage. In Neuromancer, for example, Case keeps a place for his gear that's much much nicer than the cube he sleeps in - when he sleeps in it. Amusingly, he -does- get ambushed there!

Stay mobile.

But yes, a garage full of multiple vehicles or guns or decks or whatever - acquisition of stuff - is within the lore. Just be careful when you go there, or Molly will find you.

please don't try to rationalize cut features by saying that's how the lore is because that argument is going to fall apart in 5 seconds.

No, it's not. I mean, it might by your standards, but CDPR knows the lore a lot better. They've made quite a few changes since 2020 and of course time has moved on, but I can't think of much that contradicts 2020. Unsurprisingly so - Mike Pondsmith is working with them and they want it to be lore consistent. Even the timeline is the same.

Not to mention, this isn't 2020-lore, it's Cyberpunk principle. The Future Is Disposable is a key reference. Cyberpunk has a lot to say about rampant consumerism. Having an apartment or a house is just too -now-. Having mutliple? That's more of an urban power fantasy than Cyberpunk.

also this, a year ago it was still entirely compatible with the lore that you're going to own multiple safehouses.

Nope.

1. They never said safehouses. An apartment is -not- a safehouse.
2. They said we'd have "an apartment". There was "a chance" for more. That is very much the opposite of commitment.
3. Obviously, very obviously, in the past year of development, it turned out not to be compatible. It's not much of a "cut feature" if it was barely a feature in the first place.

Plans aren't the same as final drafts. This is development. If you -wanted- GTA style housing, well, now you're in the same boat as people who wanted other things that aren't in the game. I'm there too - I wanted people to have to kill in the Dark Future. At least once. That's changed since last year. For me, that's significant. But it's not my Cyberpunk.

It's not GTA. This is one of those differences.

As in... use hotel rooms to Save/Load the current game we're playing? HELL NO! I want to be able to save the game whenever I want without having to travel to some random location to do that. This is the stupidest mechanic game creators have invented.
I disagree with that. It does make you act more cautiously, because making a mistake might cost you your time/reputation, etc. when whatever it is that you do fails and you can't easily revert to a save from a moment before.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance struck a pretty good balance there - you could sleep in bed in order to save or use a special potion (which had its own drawbacks and was somewhat hard to come by in the early game). In the meantime (which was added later in a patch) you were given a temporary save if you had to quit the game for whatever reason (house on fire, etc.).

I think Cyberpunk 2077 could follow that example.

Really? What will not be like this?
- fully fleshed, meaningful characters? check
- Interesting world? check
- well written story? check
- possibility to solve problems in different way? check
- different character builds? check
- factions with unique story, goals, lore? check

You are listing vague umbrella terms that can fit with a whole bunch of games.

My original point was not to compare a list of features, even less those of games that are almost 25 years apart, but the general principle (both mechanic and narrative) of how the game works. Fallouts 1 and 2 play and are built over a very different foundation than CP77 here. Obviously. But you asked for examples of games the like I meant, and I gave a couple. You could think what I’m after like if the original Fallouts were made today, with todays tech and certain certain design and market principles (like FPP exploration), but also with the same design goals and ideals as they were made back then (which was to emulate tabletop gaming; GURPS in particular).

I also said previously that no AAA game of what I was talking about earlier has been made yet because ”reasons”. There are a few that’ve come close to that territory, but that also have not gone all the way to get there. And it looks strongly like CP77 won’t either.

Fallouts 1 and 2 play and are built over a very different foundation than CP77 here.

But now you are making an assumption on how CP2077 is made. Despite being the thing that we are trying to find out here in this thread.. I personally consider it possible that CDPR is "expanding their horizons" with CP2077, due to having apparently more money to work with and more experience under their belt. Therefore I don't take anything for granted in regards to CP2077.

But now you are making an assumption on how CP2077 is made.

In a way. But I’m not making things up. I’m basing what I say on what we know of the game so far. Some of that stuff sounds such, that it is very unlikely to change anymore in any more or less radical way.

I don’t doubt that CDPR is indeed expanding their horizons, but it seems they’re expanding them in the wrong direction (as far as I’m concerned) in certain regards.

And if it turns out that I am wrong with all my... doomspeak, you won’t find a happier person on these boards.

Last edited:
Yep. Arasaka isn't trying to kill your rented garage. In Neuromancer, for example, Case keeps a place for his gear that's much much nicer than the cube he sleeps in - when he sleeps in it. Amusingly, he -does- get ambushed there!

i wasn't really talking about the garage but about the minute to minute gameplay where you're going to be able to run around in night city stealing and swapping out your car for a new one every 30 seconds, just like in gta. that's usually not something you would be able to do in the pen & paper rpg, yet it's still something that's going to be possible in the video game. i could have also said that lorewise it's quiet unrealistic that you are going in a mealstrom hideout with your buddy and kill dozens (!) of maelstrom gangers equipped with hardware and guns that are worth "millions of eddies", when in the P&P fighting just a thug with a pistol could be the thing that kills you.

what i was trying to say is that it's nonsense to justify things that are not in the video game by saying "well that's not in the lore" when there are hundreds of things in the video game that should not be possible in the P&P.

besides

Stay mobile.

if your argument is that you can't own multiple appartments in NC because you have to stay mobile then cdpr is messing up massively lorewise. because as far as i understood it, you are going to have one appartment throughout the whole game which you are going to return to regularly. having just one place to hide out at is actually making you less mobile, because having multiple hideouts that are also located in different gang areas at least would make it a little unpredictable where you are going to be next time you wanna go sleep. having just one appartment means any gang would just have to wait for you to come home and kill you. is cdpr contradicting it's own lore here? hmmmm

or maybe, that's just my guess though, this isn't about lore and about being somehow true to the P&P at all... but about the release day just being 10 months away from now and time constraints.

No, it's not. I mean, it might by your standards, but CDPR knows the lore a lot better. They've made quite a few changes since 2020 and of course time has moved on, but I can't think of much that contradicts 2020. Unsurprisingly so - Mike Pondsmith is working with them and they want it to be lore consistent. Even the timeline is the same.

Not to mention, this isn't 2020-lore, it's Cyberpunk principle. The Future Is Disposable is a key reference. Cyberpunk has a lot to say about rampant consumerism. Having an apartment or a house is just too -now-. Having mutliple? That's more of an urban power fantasy than Cyberpunk.

if that's true than wtf were cdpr thinking when they announced multiple buyable appartments as a feature a year ago? did they not understand this was totally contradicting the 2020 lore?

Nope.

1. They never said safehouses. An apartment is -not- a safehouse.
2. They said we'd have "an apartment". There was "a chance" for more. That is very much the opposite of commitment.
3. Obviously, very obviously, in the past year of development, it turned out not to be compatible. It's not much of a "cut feature" if it was barely a feature in the first place.

Plans aren't the same as final drafts. This is development. If you -wanted- GTA style housing, well, now you're in the same boat as people who wanted other things that aren't in the game. I'm there too - I wanted people to have to kill in the Dark Future. At least once. That's changed since last year. For me, that's significant. But it's not my Cyberpunk.

It's not GTA. This is one of those differences.

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/cyberpunk_2077_apartments.jpg

they also said this. there is also multiple other interviews with cdpr staff where it's said that you're going to be able to buy multiple appartments throughout the game. just picking out one interview and basically saying because this one dev said there was only a "chance" for more than one player home nobody should be disappointed and that they did it for lore reasons is disingenuous

Last edited:
You are listing vague umbrella terms that can fit with a whole bunch of games.

My original point was not to compare a list of features, even less those of games that are almost 25 years apart, but the general principle (both mechanic and narrative) of how the game works. Fallouts 1 and 2 play and are built over a very different foundation than CP77 here. Obviously. But you asked for examples of games the like I meant, and I gave a couple. You could think what I’m after like if the original Fallouts were made today, with todays tech and certain certain design and market principles (like FPP exploration), but also with the same design goals and ideals as they were made back then (which was to emulate tabletop gaming; GURPS in particular).

I also said previously that no AAA game of what I was talking about earlier has been made yet because ”reasons”. There are a few that’ve come close to that territory, but that also have not gone all the way to get there. And it looks strongly like CP77 won’t either.

Fallout 1 worked well with a PNP mechanics because it was isometric, turn based game. Fallout 3 shows how "well" it works in a real-time FPP/TPP setting. By "well" I mean terrible. Bottom line: using PNP system in FPP real time game just won't work.

It looks like you are disappointed, which is sad really, because CP2077 will be an epic game. Just not for everybody, unfortunately.

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/cyberpunk_2077_apartments.jpg

they also said this. there is also multiple other interviews with cdpr staff where it's said that you're going to be able to buy multiple appartments throughout the game. just picking out one interview and basically saying because this one dev said there was only a "chance" for more than one player home nobody should be disappointed and that they did it for lore reasons is disingenuous

It's not disingenuous - that supposes that I'm pretending I know less than I said.

I said it's not Cyberpunk lore to have multiple apartments. There are exceptions - Corps, high level Medtechs - but Cyberpunks, no. They (nearly ever) don't. Multiple apartments/home is just not Punk.

Saying there is a "chance" to have multiple apartments absolutely falls in line with the development process. If the twitter ( a place not exactly famed for thorough responses) had to say -every time- that Things Can Change, it would be pretty silly.

The line I quoted went into the Dev Answers Thread because it was qualified. It was also, iirc, the first time it was stated clearly. If you can find an interview where CDPR says multiple apartments ( not safehouses) are for-sure in the game, great, link it. If you can also find them saying this won't change, then it's a fake, because they weren't ever saying that.

I don't know why the multiple apartments were cut. Too GTA maybe? Not enough time? Didn't fit the style of the game? Not lore-appropriate?

I'm glad they were cut, for all the reasons above. I'd be super happy if they cut the one apartment left.

Whiiiiiiich by the way, they might. You might only have it for the first 1/4 of the game. Then you lose it in an attack or Corp takeover. Or can't pay the rent as you are in hiding.

As a Cpunk Ref, that's what I'd do. Much much more Cyberpunk.

Fallout 3 shows how "well" it works in a real-time FPP/TPP setting. By "well" I mean terrible.

Fallout 3 was a terribly made sorry excuse of a game that abandoned everything that made the originals the sort of classics they are.

It was an intentionally bad first person shooter that took more pointers from TES 4 than the games it was supposed to be a sequel to, and is in no way an indication of anything else than Betheda’s complete and utter misunderstanding of the series and incompetence at handling it.

Fallout 3 was a terribly made sorry excuse of a game that abandoned everything that made the originals the sort of classics they are.

It was an intentionally bad first person shooter that took more pointers from TES 4 than the games it was supposed to be a sequel to, and is in no way an indication of anything else than Betheda’s complete and utter misunderstanding of the series and incompetence at handling it.

Which doesn't change the fact, that mechanically-wise (as in RPG mechanics) was the closes to F1/2. We can even take F:NV - story-wise was great. Mechanically - utter crap.

It may have RPG elements, and a lot of them, but the less freedom of choice we get, the less RPG it becomes.
* Removing the options to choose childhood heroes,life path,why night city, makes it less RPG, in a way that my character is set in a direction which i did not choose.
* Owning only one place to live is limiting my freedom in night city, in a way that if i get a lot of money, i still HAVE to live in Watson, thats not Role Playing, thats limiting the things i can spend money on.
* limiting my activities in the city. sorry, but a hacking mini game, some bozing matches and car races are really stale, and will bore me out after a couple of tries.
I NEED STUFF TO DO WHEN THE STORY IS OVER.
And one of differences between an action adventure story driven game to an RPG, is that in an RPG, i still can fi d stuff to do once the game is finished.
Cyberpunk may have amazing RPG elements, but as of now, based on what i know, this game isnt RPG.
Pretty much

The game is sounding less and less like a RPG but a action adventure with rpg elements and a dynamic social system.

That's understandable but it seems that this game does not force us to be Punk.
I want you to watch this video from 1:32 to 1:48...

I'd rather describe myself (intended in-game character style or type of person I mean) as (Ex-)Cybercorpo anyway. Punk vibes and whatnot might be part of the genre but whenever I am able to I just don't want to potray that particular (cyber)punk person and an ex-corpo sounds a lot more like my cup of tea.

As it's about apartments, I guess I can spin it in my head that V previously wasn't a high ranked or rich corpo and started out or got up the ladder a bit and then moved to NC to start again or something else. Thus meaning you can make due with the apartment we saw in the prior demo. Mid-(ex-)corpo then, whatever.

According to this article, depending on what backstory you choose, you'll have a different start (and possibly different homes). Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

If they didn't changed the design of it, last year we saw the apartment that V has if he/she chooses the "corpo" path.
If this is what its turned into. Then that would make more sense. Sucks that they don't talk about this more officially.

Only 1? pft. we should be allowed to become a real estate mogul and be able to buyout all the properties of the entire city, and then become the ruler of all!. lol

I'd actually prefer that V just has one apartment. How long of time frame does the game span? Most people don't move more often than every few years. If the game takes place within a year or less, it totally makes sense for V to just have had one apartment during that time frame.

Not that I'm against customization... far from it. The more you can customize that apartment, the better.
I think that the location of the apartment is just as important as the decoration, I don't know how deep the street cred system goes but I can imagine life being hard for me if I'm forced to live in a district where I've pissed off the controlling Faction and cannot move.

Maybe its 1 apartment per backstory? B/c one of the devs confirmed that you will start in different areas depending on you backstory i.e. you start in the badlands if you pick a Nomad background
Post automatically merged:

Houses and own apartments are so over-used, what if we could stay in hotels? Smash the hotel room or party it down, sounds more fun to me.
Hotel rooms could be a really neat alternative, also It would be cool if I could live out of a van or bus if I had a Nomad background I couldn't see my character living in an apartment.
Post automatically merged:

Totally with you on the "choosing your base" to start off with, that would be very cool, but to defend the ability to own multiple homes, or rather, to buy a new one: I think for many of us it's not about getting tired of your old place and wanting a change of scenery. It's about how much it can contribute to a rags-to-riches type story. And if the in-game economy is designed well, it shouldn't be that you just move whenever you please. Apartments should be extremely expensive. Plus, if the more advanced cybernetics and augmentations are also pricey it could become such an interesting choice where some players would rather spend on one over the other. I would almost go as far as to say that to be able to move into a significantly nicer apartment within the world is essential for a truly satisfying rags-to-riches RPG.
I think about it less as "an apartment" and more of a safehouse, If the Street Cred system is as in-depth as I think, I don't wanna live in the same district as the people that wanna kill me. (isn't there a really famous hacker in the lore who got stuck in an ice box / cryo chamber and was too paranoid to contact anyone for help he just stayed like that until he died?) if that level of paranoia is canon, I wanna have a hole in the wall to hide in. They don't even need to count as "mine" they could be faction affiliated safehouses or Hostels or hotels. Just something other than a permanent immovable home in a particular district.

Last edited:
Top Bottom