Will Everyone Have The Same Kind Of Augments By The Endgame?

+
I know obviously that there are different builds you can make depending on if you want to be a netrunner, solo, or techie. My question is will all the players who play solo , for example, have the same augments by the end of the game.

Like are mantis blades just too good to pass up on (in terms of damage) so everyone will have them by the end of the game, or are their other melee weapons that would be just as good.

Another example are the kiroshi eyes, in the demo you can buy either a Mark I or a Mark II, so does that mean by endgame everyone will pretty much have a (just a guess) Mark V kiroshi scanner, or are their other optional scanners that do different things but still apply to a solo build.

I guess my question can be summed up to this: If you were to line up every gamer's solo class V, by the endgame would they look pretty similar in terms of augments. This is disregarding the fact that you can mix and match the skill trees, I'm talking pure solo/techie/netrunner builds.

(Just using solo as an example, this question applies to all three classes)

Doubtful.

At one time CDPR (unfortunately I can't find the reference) said sometimes you'll have to select between various augmentations since they were mutually exclusive.

well one might wanna be able to look through walls another one has increased visability/damage for weakpoints, a third option might make a sniper truely a manace (these all are just a guess).

In addition to having rarety levels and possible uniques for you that might help with one (or possible two) weapon types or say application types - i think the variances will be vast.

i mean not all soldiers / warriors / solos / street samurais / what have you are the same. even when your just take the 2020 rpg as reference you could easly define a couple of different playtypes for the solo class alone:

1) the sophisticated euro/corporet solo, socialy adaptable, smart, say with handgun, handtohand & a sniper as backup. discret cyberware to blend in

2) TOM STRONK - MUSCLE MUSCLE AND MORE AUGMENTET MUSCLE - not the brightest lightbulb but can rip steelplates with his bare hands appart. subtle like a brick to the face

3) Max Paine. reflexbooster, gun fu with 2 mp`s and the cyberware to support that kind of killing spree - somewhat subtle (but unhinged) till the killing starts and special ammunitions and way way to many bullets lay waste to everyting & there grandmother

4) Ghost. gimme stealth, gimme stealth, gimme that what i desire. Thermoptical camophlage for the win.

5) Heavy Weapons expert - because everything below 50cal is for daiys and other weakling

6) Full Borgs / Cyborgs for the win! (personaly i go gemeni - aka Major Kusanagi / Armitage) in dozens of different types and applications

And for each of those the cyber/bio/nanoware would be very different and partly exclusive to one another - there is only so much room in your body. and humanty loss is another factor. You could have those mantis blades in your arm sure or you could have a gun in there or extra layers of protection & equipment that helps you out when your not aktivly killing everyone in your vacinity.

So in conclusion *tips his imaginary glasses up* - i do not see any reason to worry here. The playstyles will differ greatly and so do tech to support your chosen playstyle. Johnny Silverhands famous pistol is one of the most powerful "handguns" (more like a one-handed anti-borg handcannon) but if you do not want everyone within a block that your out wrecking fools you might wanna consider something that can have a silencer or a least does not sound like a pack of dynamite going of - just a consideration. and the same goes for a lot of stuff in this world, mike pondsmith did a lot of work crafting it and if the witcher / the gameplay demos are any indication, then cdpr does a hell of a job of addaption and improving upon matierial.

Even if -which again i highly doubt- but even if lets say there is for each slot only one ultimate equipment that you gotta take it is still and luckly a single player game so you will not meet 15 carbon copys of yourself in the local hub and stay unique that way.

If I have the option, I'd pick the grapple over the mantis blades, hehe.

Should be plenty of options for everyone to be different.

I can't see there being a single ultimate piece of cyber, more than likely there will be various top tier ones that do different things which may be more suitable to certain playstyles. Like for instance one top tier leg may make you run faster and double jump where as another would be much harder to destroy and harder to stagger or knockdown or maybe another one that allows you to perform an absurdly powerful kick sending the target flying.

And then there will the people who choose to use the minimum amount of cyber as well, I have the feeling that all of our Vs will be unique, at least among different builds and playstyles.

Cyberwear must offer diverse, true choices. If implant is always the right choice for every build, the others for that "slot" are not actual choices.

I think Nephelim's example with the various sight modifications is spot on. You might want to see though walls if you are packing a gun big enough to hit targets that way. You might want to have auto-targeting that makes you smart gun hit any target you can see, regardless of your characters low reflex. Or you might literally want eyes in the back of your head, so enemies never get the drop on you in CQC.

The original Deus Ex did a pretty good job making its augments different, but still relevant. You had the choice between arms tweaked for combat or arms built for heavy lifting. The first was useful for both stealthy takedowns and pure brawling, while the other let you move around heavy objects to access areas you could not otherwise get to.

I can't see there being a single ultimate piece of cyber, more than likely there will be various top tier ones that do different things which may be more suitable to certain playstyles. Like for instance one top tier leg may make you run faster and double jump where as another would be much harder to destroy and harder to stagger or knockdown or maybe another one that allows you to perform an absurdly powerful kick sending the target flying.

And then there will the people who choose to use the minimum amount of cyber as well, I have the feeling that all of our Vs will be unique, at least among different builds and playstyles.

What you said about the legs is exactly what I'm hoping for! I'm hoping that is the case

xer21

Forum veteran
Doubtful.

At one time CDPR (unfortunately I can't find the reference) said sometimes you'll have to select between various augmentations since they were mutually exclusive.
I think he means more, how are they going to balance the choices and avoid a certain path becoming the obvious way forward? less "will there be choices" and more "will the choices seem meaningful or am I going to have to ignore obviously superior options just to force a playstyle"?

And for each of those the cyber/bio/nanoware would be very different and partly exclusive to one another - there is only so much room in your body. and humanty loss is another factor.

I believe humanity costs of augments has been removed and replaced with a slot system (your body has certain amount of slots you can put augments in). I am not sure of the source of this information, I think its from the reports from the closed demo..

I think he means more, how are they going to balance the choices and avoid a certain path becoming the obvious way forward? less "will there be choices" and more "will the choices seem meaningful or am I going to have to ignore obviously superior options just to force a playstyle"?

This 100%, I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly, my bad!

I believe humanity costs of augments has been removed and replaced with a slot system (your body has certain amount of slots you can put augments in). I am not sure of the source of this information, I think its from the reports from the closed demo..

If they are not going to let V go full cyberpsycho, it makes sense to not fully model humanity cost as it is in the PnP. I think the logic is that the "slots" you have correspond to the maximum amount of augments V can have before going off the deep end and loosing all control. They have also said that we cannot go full 'borg and that there would be some sort of impact on V from adding augments.

I am fine with the number of slots you have filled roughly corresponding to where on the human/borg spectrum V is currently and that you cannot go all the way in either direction (since some augments are fixed due to gameplay). How much it will matter where you are on this limited spectrum, will be interesting to see. Maybe make V more "cold" the more augments are added, but without going full psycho?

Hadn't seen this, good find!

Interesting side note:
Sounds like the marketing department actually has a chance to get involved with creating the game. After all there are TONS of advertisements in Night City.
Gratz to the Marketing folks!

Last edited:
Just the leg augments that we know of are double jump , hover jump and silent running . Those are just three good ones depending on how you want to play . I think a lot of people ( me ) will have Mantis Blades but i think there will be so many options we wont all have the same stuff .

Just the leg augments that we know of are double jump , hover jump and silent running . Those are just three good ones depending on how you want to play . I think a lot of people ( me ) will have Mantis Blades but i think there will be so many options we wont all have the same stuff .

I'm pretty sure there was some kind of dash ability (like dishonored?, Jensens Icarus dash?) mentioned in one of the interviews as well. I'd imagine it might be a leg augment. One of the "I saw the closed demo" videos also explained how some of the enemies moved that way.

There are sooooooo many interview videos by now that I can't remember which one it was anymore, sorry.

I hope they can all be very different, but I also don't want to be excluded from choosing what ever I want. I really want to have unlimited freedom in the game and sort of merge all upgrades into myself and become unstoppable eventually. :D

Top Bottom