Which character background will you choose?

+

Which character background will you choose?

• Total voters
I'll be picking the corporate background first play, mostly for the aesthetic, though I look forward to seeing how else backgrounds will effect the gameplay and/or story.
20190620_154139.png

I'll decide once I'll have the full descriptions with me, since it can be very different from what we think.

My idea for the first play-through is to role-play a cyberninja whose purpose in life is to become rich (he doesn't care about power, he just wants money, a lot of money) and is firm to do everything he can to reach his goal. He doesn't care about "saving the world" he is selfish and just cares about having a good life. Life is not fair, he doesn't need to be fair.
In the old version I'd have chosen arasaka as childhood hero, but now? corporate background (he was a corpo and wants it back) or street kid (born poor, wants to become rich)? I can't decide until I get the full description. Maybe this kind of role-playing won't be possible at all and CDPR will try to force you to join jhonny silverhand againt all corporations. :shrug:

Second and third playthrough will use the other 2 backgrounds, one will be "fuck the corpo, save the world", the other I don't know yet, it really depends on the narrative CDPR will give us.

At about 5 minutes into this video the dev talks a bit about the lifepath differences, and when describing the Corpo the example he gives is someone who was fired from their position in a corporation.

The devs have also stated that as of right now at least V has a different start point in the game based upon their lifepath. Street Kid is presumably somewhere in the city and Nomad likely in a caravan out in the badlands, but what about the Corpo? I wonder if the start point will be V getting his/her walking papers.

"...who got fired from a job or something". Makes me wonder if that was simply a figure of speech with the "...or something" while that background that you were fired is already set, or if they just don't know yet and did not finalize that, so perhaps you quit. Minor details you may say since you are "ex-Corpo" either way, but I'll be happy to see how this background plays out.

"...who got fired from a job or something". Makes me wonder if that was simply a figure of speech with the "...or something" while that background that you were fired is already set, or if they just don't know yet and did not finalize that, so perhaps you quit. Minor details you may say since you are "ex-Corpo" either way, but I'll be happy to see how this background plays out.
I really hope it's not as boring as that. Disgruntled ex-Corpo?... So lame. Hopefully that life path has us starting out actually in the mucky muck and we get to decide whether we're going to keep going until we take over, or bail and fight against the machine.

I'm thinking Nomad.
Out of the three it seems to be the most neutral towards Johnny Silverhand.

The other two might generate lots of positive or negative comments from him early on, I want to avoid that... :cool:
(I think he's gonna dig the street kid and hate the corpo...)

I really hope it's not as boring as that. Disgruntled ex-Corpo?... So lame. Hopefully that life path has us starting out actually in the mucky muck and we get to decide whether we're going to keep going until we take over, or bail and fight against the machine.

I would honestly not expect too much in that regard, as a lot is uncertain. I currently assume the different backgrounds will offer different dialogues or approaches in certain missions or towards certain people and maybe offer unique contacts or enemies, but I doubt you get to see a whole "corpo game part" with takeover / revolution respectively, unless that is part of the main plot with the chip and whatnot.

But we'll see in 10 months, shall we?

We got by a year, so about another year will pass in due time and then we get to play. Am heavily set on Corpo and while I currently do not want to expect too much or cannot really expect too much since I can only guess, I do hope that it will be ... thrilling, compared to the other distinctive backgrounds you can pick.

Hum hard to decide . For that 1st run I mean..

Streetkid= Chaotic run

Nomad = Goody Goody

Corp= Snob-evil run .

Probably Streetkid, since when I play that 1st run it is the run where mistakes are ok . I map the game, dialogues, directions, places, peoples and anything goes since I wanna see the story .

I'll make a perfect run afterward....a hundred playtrough later lol

I'm kinda surprised that Nomad isn't getting more love in these polls.

Part of that may be that we've heard more about the Street Kid & Corpo background, and have yet to really see the badlands front and center in a trailer. People probably have a slightly better handle of what they'd be getting into with Street Kid or Corpo V.

I wonder if Life Path makes any difference to romance options ? If you go Corpo you have a chance to romance Meredith Stout or if you go with Street Kid you lock Meredith Stout out as a LI ?

Nomad, most likely. I like the thrown together look over the classic punk and clean corpo looks. Also, nomads are like everyone else - except they have sweeter rides. ;-)

I wonder if Life Path makes any difference to romance options ? If you go Corpo you have a chance to romance Meredith Stout or if you go with Street Kid you lock Meredith Stout out as a LI ?
wouldn't that kinda limit it ? Surrrrrre....one can say 'It force the player to choose another path'' . But...if I don't like Corp background, I certainly don't wanna be screwed cose X character only show up with said background .

Would be nice if it make change in how you are greeted or even what quest you get. But don't lock who I'm romancing that way..cose that just suck . it's like taking the choice away from you .

We all have to live with the (background) choices. Depending on your real and virtual background, things might open up to you or be locked away. Would be fine for me to have custom content incl. contacts depending on the background.

Voted Corpo here myself, I am a bit bored of the street-kid-underdog approach in RPGs and story telling, so would be quite interesting to go something a bit different than usual.

You can still play a street kid character who hates his past as a gang member for what ever reason and turns on them.

Good point. The game will probably provide opportunities for your character to reject their background values.

The Street Kid who who makes himself or herself useful to the Corpos, even if it screws over the people of the slums, as the best means of moving up in the world.

The Nomad who has grown weary of life on the road and embraces the more settled lifestyle of a Static in Night City.

The disgruntled & disillusioned Corpo who sides with anti-corporate elements either out of a personal vendetta (Corpo V was let go), or because they saw first hand how the corporations are responsible for much of what is wrong with Night City.

Top Bottom