Are we over-hyping the game?

+
I think it all depends on what someone is expecting.

In terms on content, I'm expecting a similar feel to Witcher 3. Large main missions, tons of side missions, at least 80 hours gameplay total. Once the main campaign is done, I'll still have access to the game world to mop up/finish any outstanding side quests, upgrade my character. Maybe they'll be a few little epilogues that'll give a conclusion to the stories of a few npc's. I'm also expecting there to be enough variety in playstyles to warrant another playthrough.

Gameplay wise, I'm expecting shooting, stealth and multiple paths through missions done to the quality of recent Deus Ex games or better.

Interactivity with npc's, choices, consequences I'm expecting to be like W3. I'm also expecting moral grey areas and mature content, like W3.

I'm not expecting a map as large as W3 in terms of sheer breadth, given that the game will have more verticality, although it was interesting to read that we will explore outside of Nightcity (Badlands), though I'm assuming it'll be a fast travel deal rather than roaming the wilderness.

I'm not expecting to join multiple gangs with their own set of missions to rise through the ranks.

Also not expecting:

- to end up rich and lording it over Nightcity.

- a sandbox, take on the whole police force GTA style shenanigans.

- starting points to have an effect beyond the entry into the 1st or 2nd main mission.

- Mass Effect/Fallout style romances.

- to be able to kill any and everyone.

Thing is, my top 3-5 games of all time didn't change for about 14 years. Then Witcher 3 came along and immediately pushed its way into joint 1st, especially with expansions. So, if it's reasonable to think CDPR could pull off another similar feat, then I'm not over-hyping CP. If that is too big an expectation, then yeah, I guess I'm overhyped :)

A gnarly sounding perktree with out of place +damage perks for guns.
- Boxing rings and weaponranges (that sound easily exploitable) as ”catch up” mechanics. (I don’t mind there being places to practice, but I don’t like the sound of this sort of free and effortless ”back up” thing that encourages ”everything man” builds that trivializes past commitments regarding character progression.)
- Respeccing is still in, apparently. Which is bad for the same reasons as the above, and then some. Why care about the character progression at all, when you can flip flop about it at will?
- Keanu working as a sort of Jiminy Cricket throughout the game sounds a tad questionable. How long does it take until it gets annoying?
- Apparently the city isn’t quite as interactive as one would hope for from an openworld game that touts gameplay freedom.

All that sounds troubling. I hated the respec potion in The Witcher 3 which was included after much whining from irresponsible young players.

Boxing rings and shooting ranges would make sense to have if they did not serve as a way to upgrade your skills doing monotonous stuff over and over again but would be a venue to place bets on boxing matches or participate yourself in order to get in some fixer’s good graces and possibly get some valuable gear or missions that could lead to interesting storylines.

Keanu being in the game is a turn-off for me especially if he’s there constantly and we’re just riding shotgun to him driving.

+damage perks is not surprising considering all the Witcher games had them so in that sense it is a Witcher reskin. Disappointing.

As far as city interaction and world changing because of your actions, they should strive to do much better than TW3. It was interesting at first but there wasn’t any emergent gameplay at all, it was very static. After you passed by the guards or hookers they’d proceed to give you their 2-3 one-liners and once you heard them you heard them all. If you tried to interact with them they’d be staring at you dumbfounded like sheep seeing the new gates.

All that sounds troubling. I hated the respec potion in The Witcher 3 which was included after much whining from irresponsible young players.
blaming young players and irresponsible people?

dude, get off your high horse. some people like playing around with builds without restarting a game. it literally did not affect you at all.

As far as city interaction and world changing because of your actions, they should strive to do much better than TW3. It was interesting at first but there wasn’t any emergent gameplay at all, it was very static.

I'm curious as to what you expected in TW3, what you expect here, and why you think it would be technologically feasible. I'm being serious.

that said, I'm not sure you understand emergent gameplay, there was definitely stuff going on in TW3 that I would consider emergent.

I'm curious as to what you expected in TW3, what you expect here, and why you think it would be technologically feasible. I'm being serious.

that said, I'm not sure you understand emergent gameplay, there was definitely stuff going on in TW3 that I would consider emergent.

I didn’t expect anything more than they devs themselves outlined (for example the Vital spot system - Link), original 2014 character models, 2014 level of visual fidelity.

What I expect from CP2077? Seriously nothing - after being hyped and burned by TW3 changes I’d rather hope for the worst and be potentially pleasantly surprised. After TW3 I learned not to take anything the developers say at face value and never pre-order any game too (it’s not like they’ll run out of digital copies on their servers).

Please enlighten me what you understand as “emergent gameplay” and while you’re at it don’t shy away from sharing exact and particular examples of such in The Witcher 3.

Boxing rings and shooting ranges would make sense to have if they did not serve as a way to upgrade your skills doing monotonous stuff over and over again but would be a venue to place bets on boxing matches or participate yourself in order to get in some fixer’s good graces and possibly get some valuable gear or missions that could lead to interesting storylines.

Apparently the reason for those is to act as a "catch-up mechanic", if you mid-way through the story decided that you wan't to change your build. The point is that if the game will feature "You get better at this if you use it a lot" system of improving your skills, then you are in trouble if you decide to change your build after using a different one for a while. Your new build would be automatically weaker in the new skills. So shooting ranges, boxing robots and whatever is used for hacking will let you catch your new skills up to the level of the old ones.

I'm 100% sure they are still debating how to handle this. I personally think that the shooting range approach is not a good one. For people who don't like grinding, the shooting range/boxing robot/etc will be a chore, and for people who dont care, it will be a way to max out skills quick-ish. Also wouldn't this theoretically let you max out ALL your skills if you swap augments/build back and forth a bit?

Source: I believe its in one of the Miles Tost interviews. Trying to dig it up.

Apparently the reason for those is to act as a "catch-up mechanic", if you mid-way through the story decided that you wan't to change your build.

That seems to be the reason, but it sounds rather inelegant and like a crutch, rather than something that might happen organically.

And the idea that you can ”change” your characterbuild at a whim mid game, kinda trivializes the whole skillsystem. There’s little to no commitment to your choices in that regard, so you can just not really pay attention.

Same goes for respecs.

I think some of this concern over catch up mechanics is unnecessary. I understand where people are coming from but in the end, none of it is forced and it's simply there for people who want the option.

My first play of W3 was almost entirely based on signs. By the time I was two thirds through, I was really curious about how going all sword spec would feel. However, I knew I was going to play through the game again so it was just something else to look forward to.

Thing is, it's a huge game. Not everyone has the time to start over because they want to try something different or decide they don't like the feel of the build they've started and in the end it's a hobby. It's a game. It's supposed to be as fun as possible. People pay to play this in their precious spare time. It's not an exam, legally required test or a coming of age trial.

So if someone wants to respec then it's fine, imho. I'll still stick with whatever build I make, even if I make mistakes after having sat in front of my screen, chin resting on my hand, taking ages to pour over the different skills, plan ahead and see if there's any synergy I can work towards to be the sort of character I want to RP as.

I'll stick to what I choose because that's the way I want to play so all it takes is a little will power to ignore the repsec. Also, in a single player game, why should I care if someone somewhere else uses catch up mechanics or wants to max out a character because they are only going to play through once and want to experience it all?

As long as the catch-up mechanics are used as a crutch by players but NOT by the developers to cover-up game imbalances, then I'm not fussed.

Last edited:
I think some people are definitely over hyping the game. At the end of the day no game is perfect, and some people seem to be under the impression that this one will be. Will it be very good to great? I think all the evidence so far points to yes so long as the story is up to CDPRs historical standards. Will it transcend human understanding of awesomeness? No. Probably not.

At the end of the day no game is perfect, and some people seem to be under the impression that this one will be.

This most certainly is true. And it holds true about many other games too. There is a certain lack of objective evaluation, that's at place. Not to blame anyone specific, but it is true.

After the announcement from the games art director that there would only be one apartment, hearing that it's impossible to have a true "human playthrough", getting little to no details about companions or if we'll be able to interact with our favorite characters after the game... I'm starting to question how much of a game there's gonna be outside of the main quest line.

I suppose all the hype came from the possibilities. I was hoping for an RPG where I could do whatever I wanted to in Night City (within reason). It's starting to seem like, either we're rushing them to finish the game or they've decided story takes place over freedom of gameplay.

I don't doubt it'll be one of the best game stories I've ever played through. But, I'm also thinking it's gonna lack in depth once the story's over.

I can't imagine being in this world, having millions, and not being able to buy or customize apartments. I won't say it's killed my hype, but it's making me think more realistically about what to expect. I'd rather set my expectations low and be amazed by what we get than have high expectations and be disappointed.

i dont understand why ppl cant just expect something similar to TW3, it will still be great game but dont start thinking it will be forza/sims/gta5/TW3 all rolled into one
it will be a story driven RPG and where it benefits the story it may have some extra stuff.
ive always been able to be hyped and keep my expectations in check.

I didn’t expect anything more than they devs themselves outlined (for example the Vital spot system - Link), original 2014 character models, 2014 level of visual fidelity.
things change man. how naïve are you to believe that everything a dev tries to do is going to ultimately work out? just because they try something and it doesn't work doesn't mean you were owed it.

you seem super entitled.

after being hyped and burned by TW3 changes .

that's totally your fault though, you realize. you caught yourself up.

After TW3 I learned not to take anything the developers say at face value

you never should have. the next lesson you need to learn is to stop acting like devs personally disrespected you when things change over development.

Please enlighten me what you understand as “emergent gameplay” and while you’re at it don’t shy away from sharing exact and particular examples of such in The Witcher 3.

for one, the way they handle a branching narrative would already count, but then, so do also many of the unintended exploits in the game. emergent gameplay is a much broader definition than you might realize. lots of things you wouldn't expect would fall under the umbrella.

also the nature of the open world will consistently and intentionally yield unplanned encounters where the game and the player has to interact with itself in unique ways. for the most part, you can't allow that freedom without creating an environment that fosters emergent gameplay. I really don't need to be specific, because that isn't how a definition that broad works. even something as simple as leading one enemy to another to get them to fight is an example of emergent gameplay. yes, its a bit more restrained than a game like, say, Skyrim, but that doesn't remove all qualities from it.

the problem is you seem to have a very restrictive vision for what counts and what doesn't. Which is kind of ironic.

this is a case of personal expectations being placed on someone who never promised them.

things change man. how naïve are you to believe that everything a dev tries to do is going to ultimately work out? just because they try something and it doesn't work doesn't mean you were owed it.

you seem super entitled.

Do you know what “false advertising” means? It’s when you’re being advertised one particular product with specific features but then get presented with a drastically different one. In other industries companies get sued and pay damages.
It’s unfortunate that gaming industry fell behind on such developments.

Devs continued to claim that the visuals in TW3 would be the same as in the E3 2014 gameplay video and even better. No one forced them to make such claims.

Now I just don’t bother with developer interviews because it’s all just marketing lingo with words that have no weight to them.
You seem uber apologetic.

This is a great analogy to what happens in game development. I just refuse to bite the bait.

that's totally your fault though, you realize. you caught yourself up.

Not even close to my fault. Again false advertising should not be the norm.

you never should have. the next lesson you need to learn is to stop acting like devs personally disrespected you when things change over development.

Oh, there was a big outcry about the visual changes so I was definitely not alone.

for one, the way they handle a branching narrative would already count, but then, so do also many of the unintended exploits in the game. emergent gameplay is a much broader definition than you might realize. lots of things you wouldn't expect would fall under the umbrella.

also the nature of the open world will consistently and intentionally yield unplanned encounters where the game and the player has to interact with itself in unique ways. for the most part, you can't allow that freedom without creating an environment that fosters emergent gameplay. I really don't need to be specific, because that isn't how a definition that broad works. even something as simple as leading one enemy to another to get them to fight is an example of emergent gameplay. yes, its a bit more restrained than a game like, say, Skyrim, but that doesn't remove all qualities from it.

the problem is you seem to have a very restrictive vision for what counts and what doesn't. Which is kind of ironic.

this is a case of personal expectations being placed on someone who never promised them.

If you can’t even muster some specific examples of emergent gameplay (the system that “something generic should happen every 5 minutes” does not count) in the Witcher 3 then I don’t have anything to discuss with you further.

P.S. The Witcher (2007) in my opinion still remains the best game CDPR has ever made.

Last edited:
I personally aint Hyped .

I didn't watch anything beside that 48Minutes that was released back then . And since then, nothing .

I also don't think there is enough to be hyped .

Those who are hyped, are hyped because who is doing the game and the setting....and probably cose they are hungry for a game .

But really, in that 48min I recall seeing . There were at least 2 things I saw and didn't hear if they fixed them or were changed .
1- Yellow Text Dialogue on Yellow Wall = Blinding
2- Vague Dialogue *Fuck You!* .

That is nothing of course, but...for me . These last few years have been mostly dissapointing when it come to game and I'm tired of being Hyped and slapped with a dud .

I'm also not gonna compare this game to the Witcher 3 . And really, let it stand on it's own .

I know it sound ridiculous right ? They made the witcher 3! They are THE GODS of Gaming!

You could do more harm to this game then Good by making it shadow the witcher 3 . Let it stand on it's own . Stop comparaing it , stop linking them . More importantly, just wait....Hyping is also putting pressure and setting things on fire .

Just breath and wait ...

And the idea that you can ”change” your characterbuild at a whim mid game, kinda trivializes the whole skillsystem. There’s little to no commitment to your choices in that regard, so you can just not really pay attention.

Well, there is a commitment if you are forced to grind training stage in order to get the new skills up to par.

i dont understand why ppl cant just expect something similar to TW3, it will still be great game but dont start thinking it will be forza/sims/gta5/TW3 all rolled into one

I don't know about others, but I still haven't played any witcher enough to form an opinion. I am here because of Cyberpunk, not Witcher. I don't make comparisons to something I haven't played.

That is nothing of course, but...for me . These last few years have been mostly dissapointing when it come to game and I'm tired of being Hyped and slapped with a dud .

I agree! Thing is, being "hyped" about something is very different than "establishing preconceptions about what it will / will not be based upon speculations and assumptions". Taking a few words spoken during an interview about a feature, then superimposing how the details will work and what the final effect will be is not "hype".

Hype is being excited to find out more...not coming to a final conclusion before I've ever held the final product in my hands. I'm not "hyped" at that point, I'm getting "wild".

On the whole, gaming since the 1980s, I've long since grown jaded with the patterns of the industry. And I've long since outgrown the jade, I guess. :p Now, I simply read the signs, soak up the info, and wait to see how it goes. That being said, I am looking forward to Cyberpunk in a big way. Which leads me directly to:

I don't know about others, but I still haven't played any witcher enough to form an opinion. I am here because of Cyberpunk, not Witcher. I don't make comparisons to something I haven't played.

We have no idea what it will be like. And I truly mean that. No idea at all. The three Wicther titles, despite focusing on the same universe / story, share very little in common with each other. Each game was a very unique approach to the gameplay, the story-telling, the mechanics, the look and feel of the world... CDPR has always focused on trying bold new things every time they started designing their titles. I don't think CP2077 is going to be any different.

My guess is the game will be quite unlike anything anyone has ever played before.

Over hyping? Probably. For me? Nope.

I have been waiting for 20 years for a game like this. I went to school and spent way too much money to build a game like this because no one would make it. Finally a game from my time period (eat your heart out haters) with features I want by a company that made the Witcher 3. You better believe I am going to figure out how to mod this and create the ultimate Minecraftesque Cyberpunk. It will be something I have dreamed of since I was a kid. Will probably be the last game I play (need to focus on my business and family). You know it will change gaming forever and there is a chance it may eek out all the next GTA's, although maybe not, i'm not sure how many can handle this universe and may opt for the easier to digest modern day stuff.

I for one am excited that the over hype is real. I have watched the game demos and I could have sworn that there was a moment there was a tear in my eye and I am bouncing in my chair with excitement for the next release of gameplay this August. I could care less about graphics. I grew up playing original Deus Ex, Half Life, Doom, and Quake. Everquest was my first MMO. I want features and have been aggravated for a long time that I did not get features just so people could orgasm for hi fidelity cutscenes on a rail shooter (actually a pet peeve for me now). For once I am finally getting what I want (my favorite genre is cyberpunk and after the infamous Shadowrun debacle I didn't think I would see anything like it again, just more Deus Ex. I have played that game into the ground and scratched every square inch of it. That and the shadowrun RPG iso games). Screen tearing? Don't care. There is already enough substance in the demos that even if it doesn't have everything I want, I can mod the rest in. Fallout 4 nexus eat your heart out. When this game releases I am coming with a vengeance.

Well, there is a commitment if you are forced to grind training stage in order to get the new skills up to par.

but it is there for ppl who want to play it and educate themselves as to what to expect.
you can get a feel for a companies future games through playing past releases.
i wont be buying WDL because i haven't enjoyed UBI's past releases, they tend to be similar.

Over hyping? No, this game deserves all the hype imo. However people really need to lower there expectations. If this game is nearly as good as TW3 was I'll be happy.

I guarentee after about 2 weeks of the games release you'll see threads like "Is anyone else disappointed that..."

Top Bottom