Chippin In - no old version planned

+
I wonder if the strategy for the music may have changed. Seems like Swedish post-punk band Refused wrote the new version of Chippin' In and I wouldn't be surprised if CDPR has comissioned other artists and bands to create original music for the game, alongside Marcin Przybyłowicz's own original music.

I wonder if the strategy for the music may have changed. Seems like Swedish post-punk band Refused wrote the new version of Chippin' In and I wouldn't be surprised if CDPR has comissioned other artists and bands to create original music for the game, alongside Marcin Przybyłowicz's own original music.

What do you mean changed strategy? They would've always commissioned other artists for the job. Just unlikely superstars like Lady Gaga. I remember there was talk year ago about Bryan Mantia composing music for CP2077.

What do you mean changed strategy? They would've always commissioned other artists for the job. Just unlikely superstars like Lady Gaga. I remember there was talk year ago about Bryan Mantia composing music for CP2077.
I just meant that the previous version of Chippin In didn't sound like a named band. Sorry I didn't realise it was already known they were commissioning bands for the sound track.

I believe that they should have the older version in the game as I believe that song should have been made in 2020 in that universe. I could see the newer version being made closer to 2077 when the game will be. With all the deep-fake stuff going around now it would not be hard to see that someone remade the original song to coincide with the more cyberpunk theme that should be apparent in 2077,

If I've heard correctly, the new one is performed by a band called Refused, a Hardcore Art-punk band. They usually have melodic singing in their songs and well placed screams. This direction bleeds with controversial punk-attitude compared to the very-accessible 80s rock sound of the 1st one, so the new one makes more sense IMO.

Here's what they sound like:

Honestly love CDPR's tastes. In a hardcore-punk band myself.

Last edited:
All the music is included in the OST. The old Chippin' In won't be in the game. It's like it never even existed. Remember in the trailer that "everything is subject to change."
I'm saying that the new music fits the game, and sounds so much better, than the old one. I get why they changed it.

[Sard edit: nope]

Sure, that's why I said that then it could be uploaded or posted somewhere.

I agree with you that the new music fits the game, and I get also why they changed the old one.

I just sang the new version of Chippin' In because... well I just sing songs I have in my head.

But the problem is... it was something like this:

"Blah, blah, blah, blah CHIPPIN IN
blah, blah, blah, blah CHIPPIN IN
blah, blah, blah, blah CHIPPIN IN
blah, blah,blaaaaaaaaah."

I'm serious.

I can't listen to this.

This is just classic. It ends when V lefts apartment.
Yeah.

I'm sure there's probably more to the song, but that's all we heard.

I loved the original Chippin' In. A LOT. I thought it was awesome and very thematic.

Now they went with screamo/metal, and I have zero interest in that.

I don't agree that the old version doesn't fit the game. To each their own, though.

Yeah.

I'm sure there's probably more to the song, but that's all we heard.

I loved the original Chippin' In. A LOT. I thought it was awesome and very thematic.

Now they went with screamo/metal, and I have zero interest in that.

I don't agree that the old version doesn't fit the game. To each their own, though.

Gonna have to disagree with you. The new version is a hard punk rock. Metal and screamo are entirely different beasts than what the new Chippin' In is. I feel that the new song fits the themes of cyberpunk so much better. The old one was too soft. In this dystopia, it wouldn't get anybody riled up to fight the corporate overlords. The new one would.

The old one was too soft. In this dystopia, it wouldn't get anybody riled up to fight the corporate overlords. The new one would.

Exactly, this is what modern punk sounds like and it makes you want to mosh til you're filled with bruises from the pit. Definitely not for everybody. But those who DO appreciate this kind of noise I know will love it timelessly. Starting to feel like this is a game for extreme music enthusiasts when it comes down to the scoring.

EDIT:

I think this band might just pull it off the 2018 ver. they'll probably start slow and melodic not unlike the 1st version and end heavy and screamed like from the 2nd trailer. Same progression as this song from them.

Last edited:
Gonna have to disagree with you. The new version is a hard punk rock. Metal and screamo are entirely different beasts than what the new Chippin' In is. I feel that the new song fits the themes of cyberpunk so much better. The old one was too soft. In this dystopia, it wouldn't get anybody riled up to fight the corporate overlords. The new one would.
Whatever it is, I didn't like it at all. :ohstopit:

Yeah, it's metal. I like some metal, not this though. It's sure not punk rock.

My ex-punk wife and I took a listen to last year's version. Not punk, but cool. Cool.

Then this year. She sneered and we spent the rest of the night listening to UK Subs.

This version is metal - and fairly bland metal at that. Scream, heavy guitar, scream.

I'll give you that it stands a better chance of riling people up, though. Riled up to listen to actual punk music, not modern bland-metal.

My ex-punk wife and I took a listen to last year's version. Not punk, but cool. Cool.

Then this year. She sneered and we spent the rest of the night listening to UK Subs.

This version is metal - and fairly bland metal at that. Scream, heavy guitar, scream.

I'll give you that it stands a better chance of riling people up, though. Riled up to listen to actual punk music, not modern bland-metal.
Wow. Are we... agreeing on something?

Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

It's not, though. Compare it to this:

That's metal. It has a totally different feel to it. Not to mention that Refused is a hardcore punk band. Wouldn't make much sense to have a punk band play a metal song.

It's probable that you and your wife just like more classical punk bands, or punk that isn't hardcore.

I get that not everyone is a fan of the song, but I wouldn't do it a disservice by calling it what it isn't. Because it's a very well done hardcore punk song.

That's metal. It has a totally different feel to it. Not to mention that Refused is a hardcore punk band. Wouldn't make much sense to have a punk band play a metal song.

and metalheads hate hardcore punk. Might be just as heavy(if not heavier) but in detail, they're very different. I'm listening to more songs from Refused now, and if anything, their riffs feels like a good representation of Chrome Rock imo. They're not generic hardcore and has prevalent melodic vocals over screams that aren't randomly thrown around so i wouldn't call it screamo.

The problem is that in the trailer, we might have just gotten the taste of the ending of the song where it gets chaotic. We haven't even heard half the song yet, much yet the start of it. It might even sound like the previous ver at the start and builds up chaos towards the end.

Last edited:
It's not, though. Compare it to this:

It's probable that you and your wife just like more classical punk bands, or punk that isn't hardcore.

I get that not everyone is a fan of the song, but I wouldn't do it a disservice by calling it what it isn't. Because it's a very well done hardcore punk song.

Still sounds like metal to me. :shrug:

I believe that they should have the older version in the game as I believe that song should have been made in 2020 in that universe. I could see the newer version being made closer to 2077 when the game will be. With all the deep-fake stuff going around now it would not be hard to see that someone remade the original song to coincide with the more cyberpunk theme that should be apparent in 2077,

Actually love this idea.

Top Bottom