Chippin In - no old version planned

+
and metalheads hate hardcore punk. Might be just as heavy(if not heavier) but in detail, they're very different. I'm listening to more songs from Refused now, and if anything, their riffs feels like a good representation of Chrome Rock imo. They're not generic hardcore and has prevalent melodic vocals over screams that aren't randomly thrown around so i wouldn't call it screamo.

The problem is that in the trailer, we might have just gotten the taste of the ending of the song where it gets chaotic. We haven't even heard half the song yet, much yet the start of it. It might even sound like the previous ver at the start and builds up chaos towards the end.
Couldn't agree more.
Still sounds like metal to me. :shrug:
If you don't have an ear for this type of music, it probably would sound the same. However, if Chippin' In would be played at a metal concert, the band playing it would be boo'd off the stage, cause it sure isn't metal.

just like more classical punk bands, or punk that isn't hardcore.

I get that not everyone is a fan of the song, but I wouldn't do it a disservice by calling it what it isn't. Because it's a very well done hardcore punk song.

Oh, I like Slayer too. It sure wasn't Slayer. It was just meh. Lacking in punch or edge or anything distinctive, frankly.

We can go back and forth on this, but it sounds much much much much more (light) metal to me than punk.

I'll take, say, the Misfits over this every day of the week. Or GLOSS. Or Destruction Unit. Or Mind Spiders.

If you walked into a metal show and heard Chippin' In 2019, I don't think "you" (most people) would be surprised.

I don't think this is hardcore punk, although I'm not sure what hardcore means in this context? Metal?

And, again, I like powerful metal. Angel of Death? Yeah.

Laaast, no third to last metal concert I went to ( because a friend was playing) was Fallujah, Between the Buried and Me and DTP. Chippin In 2019 sounds a -lot- more like weak DTP than it does Iggy or the Ramones or Misfits or...

Yeah. Like a cross between pop and prog rock without the appeal of the first or the daring of the second.

Chippin In is described in the Corebook as:

"And if that isn't enough in itself,
you come to track two, "Chippin' ln."
This piece, like the first, is another fast
paced lightning bolt of pure rock and
roll."

That's Johnny Silverhand. This is, well, not.

Edit: some clarifications.

Well I think the old Chippin' In song is and should be radio friendly. Even though people here are taking it as a bad thing, I think it's the right thing. I doubt that a lot of people have different taste in 2020 music than our world so I doubt that everyone loved scream punk or hardcore metal or whatever the new version is. Samurai got to the top of EuroChart, I doubt it was by screaming in their songs.

Have to say I also preferred the 2018 version of the song. It was truly great, whereas the 2019 is decent. I'm not a fan of heavy music in general, though, so I'm biased.

The screaming really, really doesn't do it for me. But hey, if it works for the game/universe (I lack the knowledge to even begin to judge that) then great. And since the old version is still available in the 2018 demo, there's that.

Also if you need screaming to consider the music punk or just like the music. I would say that even the old version had some of that. Not in the extreme case as 2019 version but in the old version there are some... a bit aggressive parts.

It's sad. I would like the full version without narrator talking through it :D

Now, I'm not going to argue about what punk is, or what music style is what as much.

I am going to argue that it would not be a good idea for CDPR to put punk music in the game. At the end of the day, CP2077 is a game, intended to be enjoyed by as large amount of people as possible. Punk is a music style where the message is more important than music. Indeed, punk music is intended to practically evoke revulsion in order to be noticed and just to get the message through. Punk will never be mainstream, since its basically intentionally anti-mainstream. There are only so many people who enjoy that sort of music. Soo... does CDPR want to put music in that people will enjoy, or is it more important that Silverhand music is punk due to the title "cyberpunk"? Do you want to be "correct" or "entertaining"?`

Last years have showed that trying to be "smart", and "modern" and stuff like that isn't going to translate to widespread success. I am specifically looking at movies with this, since there's been many movies lately with a younger generation of directors who have failed in their attempts to make modern movies. Look at Last Jedi controversy and how DC cinematic universe fell flat on its face until someone who understood the classic way of storytelling (Patty Jenkins) came along with the basic idea that entertainment needs to be actually entertaining to be successful. Your average consumer does not think with their brain, they think with their heart. Emotions.

If you want to evoke feelings ot "wild, dangerous and exciting", you insert careful dose of classic rock and metal aesthetic into your product. Distorted guitars and high-pitched or raspy vocals, drums. Rock and metal has practically become mainstream now.

The 2018 version was great in this aspect. It did exactly that.
Chippin In is described in the Corebook as:
"And if that isn't enough in itself,
you come to track two, "Chippin' ln."
This piece, like the first, is another fast
paced lightning bolt of pure rock and
roll."

That's Johnny Silverhand. This is, well, not.

Both this description and the impression I got from reading the old content, reminded me more of 80s rock 'n roll rather than punk. I'm sure that the 80s rock aesthetic played a big part in the original CP2020. I mean, look at the original Johnny Silverhand art.. Thats 80s hair metal plus a cybernetic arm. :)

ps. Regardless of the style of music, lack of melody is a big no no for me. Thats main reason why I dont like 2019 version. And this from someone who has listened music from classical to death metal.

Last edited:
There are only so many people who enjoy that sort of music. Soo... does CDPR want to put music in that people will enjoy, or is it more important that Silverhand music is punk due to the title "cyberpunk"? Do you want to be "correct" or "entertaining"?`

Oh I agree. There are punk and hardcore bands in Cyberpunk, but Johnny is more a cross between Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen with some maybe Jagger tossed in there. Or Bowie.

Welp, the 2018 version is dead. Dead-dead. Gone. Not in the game. Poof. I think it was confirmed by Lilayah that they were not satisfied with the style and they feel absolutely happy with this new one.

I don't mind if the old version isn't in the game. Well, actually it's disappointing, but I mean to say it's not a big issue. What I do mind is the fact that the song, which was likely already finished, will apparently not be released in any form. Not even as a fun "alternative" freebie that you'd only find if you specifically looked for it in GoG or something? Come on, CDPR. :( PLS?

Too bad. Sounds like something I'd enjoy listening to outside of the game.

The new version. Uhm. Nah. Don't like screaming and yelling. Hate any form of metal, or scream-y genres of any kind. I don't really care how you classify it.

Cool that CDPR's fine with it, though. Or, sorry, "absolutely happy" with it as Audie said. I'm happy that they created something they are proud of, even if I don't enjoy it.

Oh, as a side note, I sincerely hope this game has mod support of some form. Barring that, the ability to add in my own tracks to the game's radio stations as other games let me do. Or easily-accessible audio files that I can replace at will.

Oh, as a side note, I sincerely hope this game has mod support of some form. Barring that, the ability to add in my own tracks to the game's radio stations as other games let me do. Or easily-accessible audio files that I can replace at will.
absolutely this.

I feel like CDPR has a bit of a soft spot for the hardcore/screamy genre. They used a song from Bring Me The Horizon in the BaW trailer.

Sounds like something I'd enjoy listening to outside of the game.

The riff is killer in the 2018 version, it’s catchy and I can easily hum it to myself whereas I can’t even recall a single thing about the new version besides cheap screaming.

Well I guess I won't be choosing Silverhand as my childhood hero..

The whole childhood hero thing was scrapped as were two other background categories.

Option no longer on character paths anyway.

I'd say just mute the music and run your own...but have you heard the intro track the composer did? Just great stuff.
Presumably, the entire game's sound track will not be metal, so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Not for me, anyway.

Top Bottom