Nervous about the release

+
The backtracking on features combined with how many things CDPR is doing for the first time in this game makes me very nervous. Anyone else? I hope the game is a success proportional to the work input on the developer side. Please make the game have plenty of memorable moments, just like with the Witchers.

Also I have to admit that criticism of the cover art is fair. I'm not a bigot so I don't mind that it's a white guy but the art on the cover should be stylish, original and memorable, just like the game. I'm attaching some cyberpunk-ish art that I think would do better as cover art.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 58775445_321197128555486_5475539482097688096_n.jpg
    58775445_321197128555486_5475539482097688096_n.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 88
  • il_340x270.1653323341_2ilv.jpg
    il_340x270.1653323341_2ilv.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 92
I have complete faith in CDPR and Mike Pondsmith . Don`t forget Mike as had plenty of offers to do CP in the past only to say NO ! He believes CDPR and only CDPR can pull this game off . As you say don`t forget how great TW3 story was .

As for the cover art the pics you posted are very cool but they prob don`t want to it to be to punky and scare non fans away with a hard core cover . Being as V is anyone you want him / her to be i would have rather the Cyberpunk logo as the cover art or NC .

The Dude on the Cyberpunk Cover looks cool in my eyes , like a ''Male Ciri'' - the way he took actions during the clip / trailer from E3 had that vibe.

I have complete faith in CDPR and Mike Pondsmith . Don`t forget Mike as had plenty of offers to do CP in the past only to say NO ! He believes CDPR and only CDPR can pull this game off . As you say don`t forget how great TW3 story was .

As for the cover art the pics you posted are very cool but they prob don`t want to it to be to punky and scare non fans away with a hard core cover . Being as V is anyone you want him / her to be i would have rather the Cyberpunk logo as the cover art or NC .

Well to be specific my fear is also that the game won't live up to the hype. I'm pretty sure it will be at least a good game but because they promised so much earlier even if it's the best game ever it can come out as disappointing to a lot of people. Of course acknowledging the overhype will help judge the game fairly but not everyone will do that, they will take the hype at face value and just be disappointed. This could lead to bad reception which would be terrible.
Post automatically merged:

The Dude on the Cyberpunk Cover looks cool in my eyes , like a ''Male Ciri'' - the way he took actions during the clip / trailer from E3 had that vibe.

The guy is great, I really liked him in the cinematic trailer, but the background, art and composition on the cover should be more stylised and have more detail in my opinion.

Well to be specific my fear is also that the game won't live up to the hype.

Nothing can live up to hype. that's why it's hype, shortening of
hyperbole
[hʌɪˈpəːbəli]

NOUN
hyperboles (plural noun)

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles" · "you can't accuse us of hyperbole"
    synonyms:
    exaggeration · overstatement · magnification · amplification · embroidery · embellishment · overplaying · excess · overkill · purple prose · puffery
if you have bought in to the hype you are already lost.

Nothing can live up to hype. that's why it's hype, shortening of
hyperbole
[hʌɪˈpəːbəli]

NOUN
hyperboles (plural noun)

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles" · "you can't accuse us of hyperbole"
    synonyms:
    exaggeration · overstatement · magnification · amplification · embroidery · embellishment · overplaying · excess · overkill · purple prose · puffery
if you have bought in to the hype you are already lost.

You should re post this over in the Over hyped thread .

I'm a little nervous too but everything they shown so far looks great and everything I've heard about the game sounds pretty amazing.

I don't expect the game to live up to the hype either but I still think it will be a fantastic game that will blow everyone's socks off.

Last edited:
About the V on the cover. I'm confused. He's a dark blond, but the V in the demo and statue has jet black hair.

Cover is good. yellow itself is eye-catching and badass-ish looking man holding a gun is always right.

well..I though the covert kinda sucked...

would have loved something more....city night, neon light, all that thug and olé olé life style . all futurist stuff .

Bah....

The backtracking on features <clip>
What backtracking?

CDPR went out of their way to say, multiple times, the 2018 demo was a "work in progress". Game design is an iterative process, you try stuff, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Never, EVER, does your initial design concept emerge unscathed.

<clip> combined with how many things CDPR is doing for the first time in this game makes me very nervous.
Not in the least.

I suppose you were an expert driver the first time you took the wheel? Knew everything about your job the day you were hired? Were the worlds greatest lover as a virgin?

We all learn new things, and refine ones we know all the time. Keep in mind CDPR has more then doubled it's staff for CP2077, many of those new hires are subject matter experts in this or that area of game design.

The only part that makes me nervous about the game is the day-light, which doesn't look cyberpunk-like. (In addition to a few other aspects regarding PC optimization and menu and screen real estate optimized for PC)
I do understand the impression of the idea a Cyberpunk game can very well be played with normal-daylight too, but it just doesn't really suite in my opinion. At least from what I've seen so far.

I also think that's why people tend to compare CP77 with GTA5, because daylight looks similar on both games.

The trouble with hype is that everyone sees something differently for a game's future. When discussing what a game's going to be, those different views can get tangled up in each other until the vague promises of a game create an image of it being something completely different to what the developers are making. Everyone imagined Cyberpunk 2077 to be TW3 but cyberpunk. That's a big part of why there was so much uproar when it was 1st person. The trick when being part of a hype train is to only really believe what the developer's say, and take even that with a grain of salt. Everything can change before release, so you've got to be ready to take what you get when it happens.
As for the art, while i'd prefer something more stylized (and that's something that I think, without experience manufacturing, could definitely change with 9 months until release,) I understand why going for something tied closely to the game would be an advantage for selling copies to people unaware of the game, as opposed to a more abstract design. That's what the steelbook's for.

I don't really mind the hype, I think its great. People should be able to see the value of the game once it releases for themselves. Although I agree that the overhyping of the game can result in more negative backlash once it does release if it doesn't quite live up to that hype. As long as CP2077 is close to Witcher 3 in quality, I think even the current hype will live up to it.

I am more afraid for CDPR announcing their release date for the game. They delayed W3 twice, obviously not nearly as many people cared about it at the time, because no one knew yet the masterpiece it was going to be. Now after W3, I am afraid that CDPR doesn't dare delay CP2077 like they did W3 if it is actually necessary. There will be way too much backlash, and rightly so with the vast amount of pre-orders that seem to have gone out. The stakes are too high for delaying. I just really reallly hope CDPR will have the balls to delay if truly necessary, and make CP2077 the masterpiece it has the potential to be. And not release CP2077 at any point before they are really satisfied with the end result, not just talking about bugs or whatever, they are inevitable even after lots of polishing, I also mean in general the story and gameplay.

Keep in mind CDPR has more then doubled it's staff for CP2077, many of those new hires are subject matter experts in this or that area of game design.

This. I've read a couple of Q&A's where they specifically mentioned hiring people with a good deal of experience, such as the first person shooting. I don't think we're gonna have a Mass Effect Andromeda scenario here.

As for the cover.
would have loved something more....city night, neon light, all that thug and olé olé life style . all futurist stuff .

I know what you mean. I think this is a marketing thing taking priority. Remember Bioshock Infinite? There were a few people upset about that cover too but Ken Levine basically said that surveys show these kind of covers help sell games to passing trade or people who don't know much about the game.

Bioshock 2.jpg

A lot of people like us who are already sold would love something more like the city-centric imagery from CP, like the covers for the rulebooks, but other potential customers seemingly need something straightforward and to the point. Which is often 'dude with a gun'.

Anyway, I'm not nervous about this release.....just the release date itself ;) I'm hoping that all the experience from W3 means they've really got that April date locked in.

Top Bottom