Damage scaling and multipliers

+
Some people like me prefer realistich thing over gamey ones for the sake of immersion. Of course that means balance problem as V is doing missions alone, which in the setting is supposed to mean a quick death during firefights.
Post automatically merged:

Not, it's not natural as long as the boss have things like brain, eyes, arteres, and isn't heavily protecting it.
I wonder if we can get heavy duty upgrades that allow us to withstand severe damage while still appearing to not be defended? :think:

that's subjective.

You mean that if my V isn't skilled in gun I won't be able to shoot where my crosshair is?
I wonder if we can get heavy duty upgrades that allow us to withstand severe damage while still appearing to not be defended? :think:

Best you can do is using a special kind of synthethic skin on your cyberware, but it can still be seen, and it's not exactly cheap enough for any grunt to have it.

Ummm ... the main focus of the game?
Shoot => loot so you can better shoot to get better loot.

You are referring to shooting mechanics, simply having shooting mechanics does not make a game a shooter. A "shooter" is an FPS. The Division 2 is a loot-based shooter where it's more RPG than shooter, similar to Destiny and Borderlands - they all feature deep progression systems, and none of them cater to the realism of a shooter like Battlefield or COD. My entire campaign here has been about keeping CP2077 more an RPG than shooter, so your interpretation here is way off.

Quick kills are not inherent in any RPG unless there is specific context for it, such as something that is narrative driven or comes with a hefty skill or stat requirement. Damage sponge enemies has been a staple of RPGs for as long as I can remember. You can't ask for an RPG and then ask for this mechanic to be removed unless there is a better solution.

You mean that if my V isn't skilled in gun I won't be able to shoot where my crosshair is?

No, it means even if you can aim competently, unless you upgrade yourself or your equipment, you'll be doing barely any damage to the target you are hitting. This is the game negating your skill because it's an RPG and it will want the gameplay to be characer driven, not player driven, which I believe is exactly what you want, isn't it?

Last edited:
You are referring to shooting mechanics. A "shooter" is an FPS. The Division 2 is a loot-based shooter where it's more RPG than shooter, similar to Destiny and Borderlands. My entire campaign here has been about keeping CP2077 more an RPG than shooter, so your interpretation here is way off.
No.
I'm referring to the main focus of the game.

What RPG elements exist in "The Division" are entirely focused on explaining why you're running around shooting stuff. The major activity in the game is shooting stuff, people don't play the game for the loot (I hear much of it is pretty laughable) they play it for the combat ... i.e. shooting.

the problem is that you're all arguing what counts as RPG elements when it's purely subjective. to one, the progression system in The Division is the defining element that makes it more of an RPG. to others, even having control at all makes it not an RPG.

The major activity in the game is shooting stuff, people don't play the game for the loot (I hear much of it is pretty laughable) they play it for the combat ... i.e. shooting.

And yet I hear the opposite, in that the loot and progression systems is what separates it from shooters and prevents it from being defined as one. As xer21 pointed out, this is really just a subjective viewpoint we're disagreeing with here and we're getting off topic.

Damage sponges are an integral feature of any RPG progression system, and I don't see how any RPG can work without it. It's here to stay.

No, it means even if you can aim competently, unless you upgrade yourself or your equipment, you'll be doing barely any damage to the target you are hitting. This is the game negating your skill because it's an RPG and it will want the gameplay to be characer driven, not player driven, which I believe is exactly what you want, isn't it?

Well, then take it the other way around: So if I make my V the best markmans ever, then I will be able to shoot ennemies consistently despide me being totally horrible at shooters?

Cause even inscreased damage cannot do anything if I'm unable to touch anything out of point blank range (and before you say that: Smartguns doesn't care about V skills, so it cannot be used as a representation of that). I actually spend the whole Mass Effect Trilogy freezing combats about every seconds to touch anything. There was points during Mass Effect 2 and 3 where I was almost blocked because you have to shoot during cinematics and cannot freeze time to aim.
I'm that bad.

then I will be able to shoot ennemies consistently despide me being totally horrible at shooters?

Yes, as I mentioned earlier: the Smart Gun does all the shooting for you. If they create steep stat and skill requirements for usage of the Smart Gun, it would be balanced. Alternative routes such using your Intellect to convince the enemies that you are no threat is also possible. In RPGs, there are many ways to "defeat" an enemy that doesn't involve blowing their brains out. CP2077 has shooting mechanics, but it is NOT a shooter as far as I can tell.

this discussion is like watching people debate whether 5e or pathfinder is "true" DnD.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier: the Smart Gun does all the shooting for you. If they create steep stat and skill requirements for usage of the Smart Gun, it would be balanced. Alternative routes such using your Intellect to convince the enemies that you are no threat is also possible. In RPGs, there are many ways to "defeat" an enemy that doesn't involve blowing their brains out. CP2077 has shooting mechanics, but it is NOT a shooter as far as I can tell.
This is very cool :cool:(y)

Damage sponges are an integral feature of any RPG progression system, and I don't see how any RPG can work without it. It's here to stay.
Obviously you have limited experience with PnP RPGs and none with CP2020.

I say this because there are several PnP RPGs that don't use that mechanic and CP2020 most certainly does not.

Obviously you have limited experience with PnP RPGs and none with CP2020.

I do, and I was only referring to video game RPGs, which is what CDPR is attempting to make here. PnP RPGs and video games are entirely different mediums which require different approaches to make either of them work.

I do, and I was only referring to video game RPGs, which is what CDPR is attempting to make here. PnP RPGs and video games are entirely different mediums which require different approaches to make either of them work.
That they do.

But not as extensive as many wish to believe. Torment, Baldurs Gate, DA: Origins come to mind as excellent video RPGs. Amend your statement to "video FPS games" I'll agree 100%. But the blanket statement you made is much, MUCH, to large.

But the blanket statement you made is much, MUCH, to large.
Look, you're clearly nitpicking now. Within the context of the game and this thread in particular, what I was referring to should've been obvious. CP2077 isn't a CRPG nor is it a shooter, and a cursory glance at last year's gameplay demo should really be enough to make this clear.

As to the request of the OP, it just sounds like he/she wants a "glass cannon" build, which hopefully this game can accommodate.

It's the classic issue of gamification vs simulation. Good game design is about achieving "fun", and because that is such a subjective goal, it's difficult to please everyone.

True up to a point.

But I don’t think it’s quite as simple here that it’d be this versus that.

A good RPG blurs those lines. One that has a basis in being ”realistic”, that is (games like Wizardry 8 or Might and Magic X notwithstanding).

Bulletspponges and damage/HP progressive systems are definitely an RPG thing to a certain extent, but while that works on games that are purely fantastic or play with higher levels of abstraction (like isometric games), it’s not really a good fit for a game like Cyberpunk. There the statistical abstraction of the characters ability should be dealt with means that fit with the intent of the content at hand, in a way that keeps the verisimilitude alive. And sponge mechanics and progression isn’t that. It is much more ”believable” that even if the gameplay might nit be as fluid as in dedicated action games, the characters combatitive activity is based on measures of accuracy (and much less on the damage modifiers).

Top Bottom