Weekly Poll 6/23/19 - Let's Talk About Jackie

+

Jackie?

• Total voters
All I know is I'd rather meet people and let me form a more organic relationship with them instead of sticking me with them and going "OK, you don't know this person, have zero attachment to this person, but when they die later in the game, you should care because we set it up that they're your BFF whether you like them or not!", because more often than not, I at best won't care and at worst, I may even rejoice.

All I know is I'd rather meet people and let me form a more organic relationship with them instead of sticking me with them and going "OK, you don't know this person, have zero attachment to this person, but when they die later in the game, you should care because we set it up that they're your BFF whether you like them or not!", because more often than not, I at best won't care and at worst, I may even rejoice.
I very humbly and kindly suggest that you read this thread (the one we are inside right now) from page 1 to the last page, because this philosophical discussion path has been discussed very well already and I feel you will really enjoy what other people have said to each other so far (even if they disagree with each other) because it was a very interesting conversation. I hope this helps. Peace. :)

Okay, so remember in the demo when V goes to see Victor and Misty is giving Jackie acupuncture and reading his chakra?
sdfdfsf.JPG
She says "Mmm, your heart chakra looks a little out of whack, babe."
What if Jackie has some kind of special heart implant that prevents him from dying? Or he has an artificial heart that reboots or something? We know Jackie carries around a "AirHypo" too, so V probably used it on Jackie in the back of the taxi-- or as far as we know Jackie could have TT insurance and we never got to see any of that happening!
dffsdfsdds.jpg
Devs pls respond

I think that's what we all want, to define our character, their personality, their relationships, and reactions. Though many of us in this thread like Jackie and would like to be friends (or lovers?) with him, it's something we want to choose for ourselves.

I... the polls are odd... or there is something wrong in my head...
but... the percentage tally is 153% ?
That's after taxes or someone hacked the thing ?

I... the polls are odd... or there is something wrong in my head...
but... the percentage tally is 153% ?
That's after taxes or someone hacked the thing ?
Hey, +1 (y) from me for being a good observer (even though it wasn't a mystery) I like People who watch what's going on and notice cool stuff. You will definitely be the type of V in cyberpunk2077 that catches cool things that everyone else misses.
;)(y) You are cool. :whistle:tooooto_O celebrate, you got the coolness award. :sneaky:(y)
Post automatically merged:

It's because you can vote for multiple options.
+1 for you too because you're just a really good moderator. :)

Ahaha, thanks :)
Since i voted already, the fact it's multiple choice evaded me.
*phew* i still have my sanity in check.
more or less.
Only the insane don't realize they are going insane. It's the ones that know it, and roll with it- you gotta watch out for.
:think:
(but sometimes are the best good guys too) ;)

Yeah, definitely. I'm not too worried, though, as I've never had this issue with any CDPR game in the past. Hmm, except The Witcher 1, actually. Leo (I think that was his name?)
passes very early on
and everyone seemed really upset about it, but I didn't really care because I didn't know him and had no reason to care.

But otherwise they handle this sort of thing well. They introduce characters, make you like or dislike them through regular contact and showing their personalities, and then they put them in harm's way and let you make choices that can determine their fate. I don't mean to say that's the "CDPR formula," they switch it up all the time. But it's the core idea of building characters up in a player's mind (evil or good) before trying to elicit an emotional response.

Hey, +1 (y) from me for being a good observer (even though it wasn't a mystery) I like People who watch what's going on and notice cool stuff. You will definitely be the type of V in cyberpunk2077 that catches cool things that everyone else misses.
;)(y) You are cool. :whistle:tooooto_O celebrate, you got the coolness award. :sneaky:(y)

+1 for you too because you're just a really good moderator. :)

Only the insane don't realize they are going insane. It's the ones that know it, and roll with it- you gotta watch out for.
:think:
(but sometimes are the best good guys too) ;)
Muff is a terrible moderator. She's far too nice. Needs to take a page out of hard a-.. I mean, Sard's book, one of these days. Ban first, ask questions later. :sneaky: I joke. He never asks questions. :ROFLMAO:

If Jackie's death isn't avoidable then why would CDPR spoil it in a trailer? Wouldn't the moment be more intense if we didn't see it coming?

Because of this alone I'm leaning towards 2. But at the same time I feel Jackie's death is important for V's character development.

I feel Jackie's death is important for V's character development.

Yes, sooooo important!
Jackie must die there. Every last inch of Jackie shall perish. Except one. An inch, which will live forever in V's heart.
That's where Jackie truly belongs: in V's heart, not beside V.

Voilà! Now in view, V can become a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. Her visage, now no mere veneer of vanity, become a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valourous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition!
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Yes, sooooo important!
Jackie must die there. Every last inch of Jackie shall perish. Except one. An inch, which will live forever in V's heart.
That's where Jackie truly belongs: in V's heart, not beside V.

Voilà! Now in view, V can become a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. Her visage, now no mere veneer of vanity, become a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valourous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition!
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
No! V and Jackie will ride the van of victory! There will be no violins! :smart:

I picked 4, I would accept his dead as a fixed story point, not because I didn't liked him, on the contrary, and here is why...

...his death might be tragic, but it can be a really powerful motivator for V (and the player) to push on. Jackie was somewhat the focus of last years trailer, together with the gameplay demo, which lightly established his character. One scene in particular, where he sits to eat and suddenly two guys put their guns at his head, kinda foreshadowed his death.
I always got the impression that V and Jackie both dream of hitting the major leagues, being professionals, getting their names out there, to be known by fixers/handlers to make the big eddies, together, as friends, best friends...

...then Jackie dies!
V falls, gets swallowed to the deepest depth of the city, soaked by guilt, maybe even struggling with emotions that reveal that there is more love for Jackie then V had ever thought, causing V to do really shitty things while striving for revenge, or to punish him/her-self out of guilt, completely loosing focus on the initial goal.

Then comes the revelation, maybe triggered by Silverhand, who opens V's eyes, V realizes, crawling around in sorrow on the bottom of the city doesn't bring Jackie back and certainly doesn't honors Jackie's friendship.
V gets back up, climbs out of the black hole, stronger then before, more focused then before, as a hardboiled merc, on his/her way back up to hit the major leagues with the precision of a sniper rifle, to become a legend, having his/her name uttered in the same sentence of legends like Silverhand...

...and the last scene being a funeral, at the most beautiful and expansive cemetery there is in the city, maybe on a little hill, with a nice overview over the nicest district.
The sun is setting, shedding its light over the calm cemetery, far away from the blazing guns and police sirens, the winds whispers through a nearby tree, maybe dropping a lonely leaf on the gravestone.
V is there, as a strong standing shadow against the setting sun, inhaling the considerably cleaner air to speak the very last words before the credits roll:

"We did it, Jackie..."

I picked 4, I would accept his dead as a fixed story point, not because I didn't liked him, on the contrary, and here is why...

...his death might be tragic, but it can be a really powerful motivator for V (and the player) to push on. Jackie was somewhat the focus of last years trailer, together with the gameplay demo, which lightly established his character. One scene in particular, where he sits to eat and suddenly two guys put their guns at his head, kinda foreshadowed his death.
I always got the impression that V and Jackie both dream of hitting the major leagues, being professionals, getting their names out there, to be known by fixers/handlers to make the big eddies, together, as friends, best friends...

...then Jackie dies!
V falls, gets swallowed to the deepest depth of the city, soaked by guilt, maybe even struggling with emotions that reveal that there is more love for Jackie then V had ever thought, causing V to do really shitty things while striving for revenge, or to punish him/her-self out of guilt, completely loosing focus on the initial goal.

Then comes the revelation, maybe triggered by Silverhand, who opens V's eyes, V realizes, crawling around in sorrow on the bottom of the city doesn't bring Jackie back and certainly doesn't honors Jackie's friendship.
V gets back up, climbs out of the black hole, stronger then before, more focused then before, as a hardboiled merc, on his/her way back up to hit the major leagues with the precision of a sniper rifle, to become a legend, having his/her name uttered in the same sentence of legends like Silverhand...

...and the last scene being a funeral, at the most beautiful and expansive cemetery there is in the city, maybe on a little hill, with a nice overview over the nicest district.
The sun is setting, shedding its light over the calm cemetery, far away from the blazing guns and police sirens, the winds whispers through a nearby tree, maybe dropping a lonely leaf on the gravestone.
V is there, as a strong standing shadow against the setting sun, inhaling the considerably cleaner air to speak the very last words before the credits roll:

"We did it, Jackie..."
Now imagine that, but you're both there. Jackie still with you alive and healthy,
and Johnny silverhand and his partner Alt also there, having been redownloaded into two new bodies
very heartwarming. :D

Now imagine that, but you're both there. Jackie still with you alive and healthy,
and Johnny silverhand and his partner Alt also there, having been redownloaded into two new bodies
very heartwarming. :D
Heartwarming, yes, but in my opinion not very intriguing. It doesn't leave the audience thinking, on the contrary even. For me, happy ends often are very forgettable, because they just show that everything is fine, the villains are defeated, the plot is resolved, the hero gets the woman, AND the money, and/or the fame, and that's about it. There's rarely anything to think about, rarely a deeper meaning, aside from "Defeat evil and you get the woman/money/fame...". It's like disposable products, you use them, you throw them away. Just look at superhero movies, it's more or less just happy ending, after happy ending, after happy ending,...

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that happy ends are bad, after all, no one could imagine Star Wars without the rebels defeating the empire, or without Luke saving his father from the dark side. No, the question is: "Does it fit?" In Star Wars the happy end fits.
In Blade Runner it wouldn't fit, and could even destroy the entire movie. I would even say, that Blade Runner threw happy ends from the table right from the beginning with its heavy influences from Film Noir. It left people thinking, so much so that they came up with the theory, that Deckard could have been a synth himself.

And this years Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, kinda mobbed the floor with happy ends, by showing us the (maybe avoidable?) death of Jackie. Sure, there might be a way to keep Jackie alive, but I can very well imagine, that there will always be something else leading away from true happy ends.

Heck, keeping Jackie alive, might very well lead to Jackie becoming an enemy, after all, we don't know what the narrative will have in store for us ;)

Top Bottom