More popular than the witcher?

+
Mr. Student :DDDDDDDD now that's a new.

"use your imagination to what they are capable of. " Graduate. I'm curious what CDPR will do with this. Hopefully they will really put it in game. I'm very interested in what they think it is.

Anyway... yes. I think it will be more popular. Sell more copies because Witcher 3 was a bomb so I think even people who played only Witcher 3 might be interested in what other masterpiece is in works of those magnificent people from Poland. I honestly don't expect sales as big as GTA V or RDR2 but I guess it might be possible. We'll see.
Rdr2 could be possible but gta....very hard

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...orders_already_way_higher_than_the_witcher_3s

That statement from the head of CDPR is the best you’ll get probably. Pre-order numbers are higher.

If you want more exact numbers, you’ll need a job at CDPR’s sales division, or become a major investor.
Yet CDPR felt they needed more hype for the game, which is allegedly the reason why they did the behind closed doors showing of the new gameplay trailer and making anyone not in attendance at E3 wait till August. That was pretty much the reason I didn't pre-order...let the people they felt worthy enough to see the new gameplay pre-order.

Yes, I believe it will be. From what I've seen, the setting seems to have a much wider appeal. Broader choice regarding the protagonist's appearance and playstyle also works in CP favor.
Of course, that's assuming the game turns out as polished as TW3 did.

Also because the genre is more or less fresh in video games. I mean except Deus ex, there's no AAA Cyberpunk game out there. Others are all plateforms 2D games or point and click

I didn't play The Witcher series, not my genre, and I know many others who felt the same way but are interested in CP2077. Though I'm sure there are fantasy fans out there that aren't interested in Cyberpunk, I do think it will be more popular.

Also because the genre is more or less fresh in video games. I mean except Deus ex, there's no AAA Cyberpunk game out there. Others are all plateforms 2D games or point and click

Very good point.

While the witcher is a very creative and thought out dark fantasy universe... it's still fantasy; A very oversused setting, especially in RPG games.
It's also a bit more "nerdy". while Cyberpunk is kind of niche too, it's fresh and can also appeal to a very broad audience that can focus on the "gangster" aspect of these universes.

You just have to see the number of people that are excepting a GTA like haha

I forget which business analyst said it but 2077 has already passed the mark for being the most anticipated game to date. beating out GTA 5 as the previous game that held that title

I forget which business analyst said it but 2077 has already passed the mark for being the most anticipated game to date. beating out GTA 5 as the previous game that held that title
I'd be curious to the validity of that. GTA had an incredibly strong presence in the media for years before GTA V launched. I saw ads everywhere for it and people were talking. I've yet to see anything like that for CP2077, besides the couple people I know talking about it. Not that I think that in any way qualifies the game, but to stack it up against a GTA release is doubtful to me. TW3 just past 40M copies in June. GTA V was over 100M in January. For preorders, TW3 was at 1.5M on release while GTA was at 7M on just consoles.

I just don't see CP2077 coming anywhere close to those numbers on a new video game IP where most people know little about it. Everyone has heard of GTA, very few people have heard of CP in comparison. I'd bet if a GTA game was launching simultaneously, the difference in pre orders and sales would be 10x

I'd be curious to the validity of that.
The poster made the point of mentioning pre-orders NOT total sales over time.

In the long run we'll see.
But I don't expect CP2077 to sell as well as GTA V because it's NOT the same type of open world sandbox game (as many people seem to expect it to be).

The poster made the point of mentioning pre-orders NOT total sales over time.

In the long run we'll see.
But I don't expect CP2077 to sell as well as GTA V because it's NOT the same type of open world sandbox game (as many people seem to expect it to be).
And I mentioned pre order numbers as well. Without CDPR stating how many they've gotten, it's kind of hard to give that number meaning. TW3 did 1.5M preorders on all platforms with GTA V doing 7M on just Xbox and Playstation. I don't see anywhere close to 7M pre orders already

Witcher is still a niche game in comparison. It's a small miracle CDPR were able to make it mainstream. CP already has mainstream appeal so it will be much bigger and make more money if it lives up to the hype. I expect it'll make at least double what TW3 has, and much faster.

Forum veteran
Games don't sell entirely on their own merit, but largely reflect the reputation of a studio's previous title. Considering how the public took to The Witcher 3 and its expansions, this game is destined for some stellar early numbers.

"In the end" is trickier, however, because long tail sales rely heavily on word of mouth and a public consensus earned by the quality (or lack thereof) of the game itself, and it's impossible for anyone to know how everyone will end up feeling about 2077 without first experiencing all of those potential highs and lows firsthand. Will it run well without mandating several hundred dollars of upgrades? Can it avoid crashing on a base PS4 or Xbox One? How satisfying is the ending? What if Keanu Reeves breaks into a Jar Jar Binks impression apropos of nothing and doesn't stop for half of the game?

WHICH IS WHY U SHUD GIFE ME GAME EARLY CDRP. LIEK RITE NOW. I DO GUD ANAHLSIS. AM BESTERLY AT WURDS. WILL TELL U WHAT 2 EXPEKT FRUM UNKLEAN GAEM HORDS. THEN NOH SCAREPRISES!

Assuming everything works properly, though, I imagine the sheer hype that's been built up will keep it selling.

WHICH IS WHY U SHUD GIFE ME GAME EARLY CDRP. LIEK RITE NOW. I DO GUD ANAHLSIS. AM BESTERLY AT WURDS. WILL TELL U WHAT 2 EXPEKT FRUM UNKLEAN GAEM HORDS. THEN NOH SCAREPRISES!

:ROFLMAO:

Very well said aside from the tomfoolery, too.

I imagine it will be a similar situation as Dragon Age versus Mass Effect. Sci fi shooters have broader appeal. As a fantasy fan first and foremost this should bother me, but I'm too busy being irritated by how video games rarely do fantasy that isn't some variation of D&D lite.

Not to mention CDPR have better reach and reputation post-TW3 than they did post-TW2. As long as Cyberpunk is at least moderately good and comes out with few bugs of note it will do fine.

I imagine it will be a similar situation as Dragon Age versus Mass Effect. Sci fi shooters have broader appeal. As a fantasy fan first and foremost this should bother me, but I'm too busy being irritated by how video games rarely do fantasy that isn't some variation of D&D lite.

Not to mention CDPR have better reach and reputation post-TW3 than they did post-TW2. As long as Cyberpunk is at least moderately good and comes out with few bugs of note it will do fine.
Bugs will always be a thing especially with these complex games

Bugs will always be a thing especially with these complex games
Notice I said "few bugs of note." There are bugs, and then there are Assassin's Creed: Unity's gamebreaking nonsense and Mass Effect: Andromeda's endlessly memeable glitches.

Top Bottom