Worries For Character Creation

+
Originally I just assumed the presets would be so that the animators can animate v’s face without issues. Now that we see this is a first person endeavour and as such understand why we could just have complete slider freedom.

It’s not terribly hard, but it is very choresome and boring (and ultimately useless, since the game doesn’t care about it).
That’s why I’d like there to be a randomizing button.
I dunno, I always found sliders to instantly guarantee my failure to create a good character.
Post automatically merged:

I usually spend a few minutes on it, there's always cutscenes.
I spend easily 10 hours if it's really fun. I like looking through all the choices and deeply customizing every single little last detail to the point of insanity :D

I don`t have the time to re watch / listen to them again but in one of these pod casts Lilayah ( i think this one ) said no 3rd person cut scenes .
I think another video someone else linked before had her answered a question to someone mentioning 3rd person, but she only said that she declined to answer, but did not confirm or deny anything about the question that was being asked because it was still a secret/under development. also, I don't believe that the time that this video plays from mentions anything related to what we are talking about, for anyone reading, but I understand what you said too.

I don't want to derail this thread, but monitor FPP field of view is drastically less than a real-life human FPP. I imagine you are sitting at a monitor reading this? Without moving your head, look around the edges of monitor at the things you see around you. That is how much is missing. Until we arrive at full VR, FPP is not immersive due to how restricted it is, at least for me it isn't. Its like looking at the world through a keyhole. This discussion has already been had in other threads.

FPP is the natural point of view of humans yes, but computer FPP does not represent that field of view accurately.

Also, FPP can have the same clipping issues as third person, if you are allowed to look around freely (not in a FPP cutscene). You can't 'hide' stuff with FPP, you still need to see your own limbs and body, and you can thus see your body or clothes clipping through things. FPP is not automatic solution to these issues.
I understand all of this, and I'm utterly confused as to why everyone assumes I don't understand. I'm not upset, and I'm not being mean (please understand my tone is friendly) I'm just surprised is all. peace.

I wouldn't call that an improvement. Sliders don't need to have any indication of what you're choosing, beyond the arrow or dot or whatever is used to choose a setting.
Not knowing the exact setting isn't an issue for me, either.
Oh okay, that is kind of cool that you can do that. I'm impressed with your abilities, sincerely and genuinely. However, I don't have psychic superpowers like you ( ;)(y) Lol ) (which is really cool, and I really am impressed that you can do that) I honestly can't know what the settings are under the button, so I'm often left struggling and failing in every game that represents sliders as a button that slips and slides over a hundred tiny settings without giving me a reference point as to where I am. It dooms me to fail each and every single time :giveup:

I hope CDProjektRed is watching out for people like me, or all our characters (people like me) are going to look like something out of a horror movie and ruin our immersion :sad:

The reason I don't need to know the exact setting is that I don't create characters that are exact replicas of previous characters.
The only improvement to a basic no-indicators slider that I would want is a "reset to default" button if the default isn't something super clear (like as far right as the slider can go).
Unfortunately it still remains as a huge issue for people who are only trying to create their own custom made character for the first time, since precision is a really important factor in the outcome of their characters. You know what I mean?

The benefit of having indicators is that someone can post their character and the exact specs to get that achieved face. In games that don't have that, save files with premade characters end up being popular downloads
Exactly this. I fully agree. :D
sliders: large amount of "clay" characters that are all like "whoa I think I'm made out of icecream and stayed out of the freezer too long" and an extremely small amount of "WHOA AMAZING characters"
really good GUI with multiple specific button settings: Pretty much all the characters everyone makes end up looking great.

I'm kind of already assuming I will not be able to see my character third-person except in menus or a mirror (no cutscenes at all with dialogue and maybe tiny snippets with preset cut scenes only like when you first enter apartment perhaps) and I also already assume I will not be able to look down all the time at my body/legs/feet at all (except preset animations in specific situations like vaulting, sitting down for specific scenes, etc) while just walking normally, so I am really not too concerned about character customization that much right now. I think character customization is less important the less often you will actually see your character.

I haven't even seen the simple act of V's hands manipulating like say elevator buttons (no V hand to push button, it just clicks on with your mouse) so I kind of feel like it's going to be a floating head with arms only at times. I still hope though for character customization that you can have some level of preset slider options that allow a lot of different looks for V.
Customization matters very much! :D There's no way they would include it without letting us see ourselves.

You can see your body, legs, and hands when you look down. This is not a floating camera.
I hope that this is true. :)

Last edited:
Was this said somewhere ? It`s one of the things i haven`t heard about but want .
Yes it was. Kyle Rowley, I believe, mentioned it on these forums.
It's in the Dev answers thread, here (under Perspective Questions). I think the source is something other than the forums though, as I cannot find a post stating that here.

--

One thing that is in favour of presets, has been brought up multiple times in this thread, and that I agree with is the quality of animations and overall visuals when it comes to the player character. Extreme settings with sliders (e.g. a super thin or heavyweight character) can definitely cause weirdness. I can't remember what game it was, but in one case having a character with really thin arms made gauntlets look rather bizarre because they only had one mesh.

It's in the Dev answers thread, here (under Perspective Questions). I think the source is something other than the forums though, as I cannot find a post stating that here.
--
One thing that is in favour of presets, has been brought up multiple times in this thread, and that I agree with is the quality of animations and overall visuals when it comes to the player character. Extreme settings with sliders (e.g. a super thin or heavyweight character) can definitely cause weirdness. I can't remember what game it was, but in one case having a character with really thin arms made gauntlets look rather bizarre because they only had one mesh.
Yea I've encountered that before too. I would say the worst part for me was not being able to tell which percentage I was at on the line --------------O-------- = ??? %

--

It was on Reddit.

Sept 5/18 Kyle Rowley: "You can see your feet (And body) but we don't allow prone atm. "

I don`t think this ( and a lot of statements ) is clear , is this looking down or when sliding ?

Sept 5/18 Kyle Rowley: "You can see your feet (And body) but we don't allow prone atm. "

I don`t think this ( and a lot of statements ) is clear , is this looking down or when sliding ?
Looking down.

You can look for the context if you want, but I believe people specifically asked if you could see your body when you look down.

There's no conceivable reason they wouldn't let you see your body at all times (in FPP). They obviously animated it, because you can see yourself in mirrors.

Well I think that customization should be in depth we will be playing this game multiple times and plus many people will be playing this game so if we all look the same then it won't be fun.

You should be able to add tattoos, body scars maybe you have gold teeth or shark like teeth. Maybe you have a metal arm in the beginning or a metal leg.

Plus like said before night city is made up of a lot of people so V's should look different and that should a affect the world maybe if he is bigger and beefier he will be more of a tank and some people can be in intimated by him.

Or smaller and nimble that can help with his Stealth and he will be faster.

Coats transparent and luminous... I BEG CD Projekt :cry:
luminos.png

I just want to make my male and female V look all elfie... 🧝‍♀️😂🧝‍♂️
6F5E6347-6EF6-4CCA-BA3D-1DAEBBD38A5E.jpeg

CDBD32E2-84A1-435F-93D9-7F5BB2DFD239.jpeg

I don't really see advantages in a simple character creation, well except for the most obvious one, that it doesn't take as much work. While I don't think I would mind it much, I can understand anyone who is disappointed, on one hand from the perspective of the Pen and Paper RPG. It's always bad to be way behind the basis. On the other hand from the perspective of the year we are in. It's 2019 and there are tons of different games now with amazing character creators, be it Souls Calibur, Saints Row or EVE Online. Sure, CDPR has no experience in character creation but the medium has this experience and every time I see a very basic character creator I role my eyes, simply because by now there is no excuse anymore to make it that basic as long as you aren't a 20 person team and even then it's always embarassing when you have something like 16 pre-defined colors instead of a spectrum, because it's literally no work to include that.
Tell me about it! The Bitmoji App has a better character creator than most video games, ever made! My Bitmoji looks just like me. Just smaller and cuter maybe...😂🥰

Last edited:
Top Bottom