Witcher 1 in RedKit

+
Hi,
As many of Witcher fans, I was always wondering how Witcher 1 would look like on more present-day game Engine.
Since I was learning RedKit already for some time, I wanted to recreate one of Witcher 1 levels.
I've decided to choose Vizima Outskirts because it's my favorite level from W1.
After hundreds or thousand' Alt+Tab' clicks between RedKit and Djinni, I've decided to show the results of my work.
The map is still in alpha phase, or maybe early beta but I don't have too much time lately to work on it.
I might not even finish it but I don't want it to disappear forgotten on my HDD.
In many places, grass and interiors are missing and the optimization is quite bad.
I tried to follow the way how Counter-Strike maps changed between 1.6 and Global Offensive where the core stays in place but there are some additional things added.

I'm adding screenshots and video clip below.
Comments & Critique welcomed.

Screenshots: Video:

Too sunny and bright for TW1 :D but seriously, this looks great already and impressive.. great work :)

Hello @Goospo ,
very nice work. if you want some other buildings ( you could ask also for any building if not required to go inside) or an another bridge ( from the witcher 3) just ask and I could provide some files. I am writing this because, if you wan to continue your work I think some w2 meshes don't look good for a the chapel town. The rest looks good.

EDIT:

Your post made me try to import wyzima castle into REDKit again. This time it is nearly finished( castle built and proper collision). I would like to release it as a moders source.
Some stuff that needs stil work is:
- getting proper decoration; have almost none imported rich looking meshes
- getting some decals for decoration
- maybe get the area enviroment settings of witcher 3
- add some decals for decoration, adjust the shadow mesh
- maybe add also decoration
- maybe maybe add 1-2 additional rooms
- maybe add streaming and occluders

Change Room with new texture for walls created from Witcher 1 texture

Throne Room was trying to get it look more like Witcher 1 with darker arches. The Temeria crest is a decal work in progress.

View into the garden

Greetings Nemo

Last edited:
Hello,
I don't wont to double edit a post so here is a new post. I made some progress but still want to:
- getting some decals for decoration outside and inside the castle ( takes time because I can't paint them on meshes like in Witcher 3)
- add some decoration -> trying to get a fireplace for emperors_room
- maybe add streaming and occluders
- maybe get the area enviroment settings of Witcher 3 ( don't know how, and I dont want to invest more time)

I did:
-add some decoration
- get all needed deco meshes
- get some decals
- add one room

The Throne Room from the ground

The Throne Room from above

Any comments or thoughts about this?
Greetings Nemo

Looking really good :)
I haven't got time lately for RedKit but I'll try to do another video soon.

Hello to whoever got lost in this part of the forum,
I made some progress and I am almost satisfied with the results of the work I've done. There are still some things I would like to implement or improve but. The good thing all the stuff a level needs is already finished.

- basic streaming is implemented
- occluders are placed
- all decals are done ( some could be better but it would be more work so no… :D)
- aded some new customized meshes eg. a fireplace for the emperors room
- adjusted some meshes to prevent light bugs with dark interior ( wich we can see in the Witcher 3 emperors room!)
- it has a rudimentary quest file and a partiton
- it uses the Lykaon clear environment and skybox
- sounds are implemented

The Garden with the clear environment and clear skybox of the Lykaon Mod. You can see decals on the walls. All the decals for the castle have been finished.

The Garden with plants of the witcher 3 and new custom foutain particle. In the backgroud you can see the outside of the windows. They use a old texture of the Witcher. It is a smaller texture but I think in most cases it looks okish. On the left corner you can see a animated hanging flag. I made this using mask textures so it's only a workaround and fake. Not sure if I should integrate it.

The Garden in the night. The windows are emmissive windows so they can change colour according to the time. It is far from perfect but gives a nice touch. The ligths are normal point and spotligths which are blended out at daytime.

The corridor to the emperors room. You can see the new envioment which based on a dwarfen interior in Act 3. It does look far from perfect, but AreaEnvironments are little bit confusing. I would like to improve the looks to be more similiar to the Witcher3 but I am also fine with the current state.

The New Room which I created readjusting game meshes in Blender. The room is based in the Wicher 1. It is part the castle. The orders base and Foltests castle use the same hub. We can see this room only shortly in a cutscene. We see Geralt confronting the grandmaster and some inhabitants of Wyzima who took refuge in the orders base. This new room now connects the Change Room with the garden.

If someone knows how rains works I am interested!
Thanks

Nemo

Last edited:
This is making me think, witcher 1 remake will be possible by talented modders lol I wonder if the team who made witcher 1 prologue with 3's engine would be interested in importing this maps somehow into three? Definitely reminds me that W2 graphics and details are still strong even in today's standards.

@aaronsahota

The screens are a little bit deceiving. I think it is not possible to do a complete Witcher 1 Remake in the REDKit 2 I also doubt it in Witcher 3. The reason for REDKit 2 Is the animations for monsters. I doubt that it would be possible with a reasonable amount of work for more than 5 people to get them into the game. For Witcher 3 I think it would be a similar problem even if it probably easier ( totaly guessing here :D ). The big other problem is the workload you would have to create all monsters wich are not in w3 from the bases in w1 if you would like good looks. Than you would also need to create several meshes for buildings from scratch or make the old meshes look much better. You would have to work also on other parts like fx, decals, charakter models for main Npc like Azar Javed, creating communities and day circles for npc, scripting for quests, Bug fixing. And in the process you would also have to do some world building and optimization for smother gameplay. And if you would like to redo some of the Witcher 1 gameplay aspects like the alchemy ( which was in some way implemented in alchemy mods for w3). And don't forget the work on the textures for some gui elements and some icons.
So if you want a really well polished remake of witcher one it would be much work.
But!
I think it would be possible to create some parts of the witcher 1 like the outskirts of Wyzima when you have enough people working on it. I still have doubts about the monsters in both games but if you could do it the rest should be doable ( with much work)

Yes and the Witcher 2 still looks fine in terms of graphics. From my point of view everyone complaining so much about no REDKit 3 is hillarius. I doubt the people would have easily remade the first game and I also doubt thaht there would be full new worlds or story quest with the REDKit 3. And instead of complaining about modding restriction and no REDKit 3 they should have learned some REDKit 2 and made some mods with it. I don't mind bad graphics and technical limitations if the story is good enough and well implemented.
And in the end of this longer text thank you for your kind words about my work :D in between the lines,

Greetings Nemo

no problem ahah but perhaps a Iorveth quest line would be a more viable option then as the main issues would be perhaps making the quest line with scripting and trying to adapt the voice overs from witcher 2 to 3 to create new iorveth dialogue. I know assets like scoia'tael can be used as they are present in witcher 3 along with a mod that has the iorveth skin. Still patiently awaiting the announcement from a modder but I would pledge money to a patreon for such a mod lol

Hi,
Thank You All for the comments and likes.
In order to stop calling this map "Witcher 1 in RedKit" all the time, I've named it "The Witcher: Revision" for now.

revision.png

Since my last post, I was didn't have much time to work on my project but I tried to update it at least bit by bit every day.
Within next 2 weeks, I will try to upload gameplay video with one of the Vizima Outskirts quest.
This quest is "The Holy Flame", one of the phases of the main quest called "Of Monsters and Men".
Because the quest takes a place at night, I'm currently working on night version of my Vizima outskirts.
Still, I have a lot of things to fix but I thought that I would upload a short clip, how it would more or less look like:

Plans for nearest future:
- Changing the enviro area (colors, post-processes ect.) to look more like in Witcher 1
- Polishing the map and uploading cooked version for exploration (without community and quests)
- Finishing the main quest line ("Of monsters and Man") so it could be completed from the start to finish (for the start, only dialogues and objectives)
- Working on optimisation and level design

As always, Comments & Critique welcomed.

Cheers,
Goospo

Last edited:
Top Bottom