Main story premise discussion

+
Would beg the question how the narrative goes on in DLCs or potential follow-up games unless the next game will feature a different person as main protagonist.

In other simple words: "Seems OP".

The premise doesn't seem world saving to me, but V immortalizing himself. Pretty selfish motive really.
Yeah getting tech to make someone immortal does not seem like a altruistic save the world type plot. More like make it big or get the heck out of Dodge.

The chip is too hot because you got sloppy while pulling the job. After the way you pulled the heist, Dex is out. He doesn't need that heat. If you kept things quite, yeah he can fence it and live. Now everyone is alert and looking to ice the person who has the chip. So he dumps your body. He leaves the chip in, again, because it's too hot to sell safely.

Or, he maybe just doesn't knows what the ship is about.
I doubt... Let's say... You're a shaddy person, paying a big buck for a bunch of street punks to got in XXX Corp, steal a random ship and give it back to you.
You'd be smart enought not telling them exactly what it is, right?
Last thing you'd want, would probably be those punks figuring that ship is way more expensive than what you pay them to make the heist, right?
If you make it sounds "too important", the stealer could steal it from you aswell, selling it for their own profit.

I think Dex didn't knew the ship was important, he just got rid of V as fast as he can to avoid any trace of contact with him and so the corps doesn't tracks it back to him (probably exhausted and stressed by the fight happening before, he could've done a mistake, it's human).

Now, the following sequence would most likely be:
- The "buyer" showing up to Dex, angry, and all "You did fucking what? ARE YOU STUPID? WHY DO I PAY YOU FOR YOU SCREWHEAD?!?"
- V would most likely get a revenge (Jaquie is dead for nothing, and Dex fucked you up for good, leaving you for dead in a dumpster
- V shows up at Dex's place, with Dex probably dead (and most likely tortured to death).
- Dex talked about V
- V do some shit and get exposure on him
- The Buyer goes after him
- The ship is very unique
- Lots of people gets after the buyers and then gets after V, making the original buyer even more pissed about it.

You could easily escalate to a corporate war with that scheme, if the ship is very important.

If there is any sort of world-altering macguffin in the plot, I'd want it to appear more towards the midpoint of the story. This world has so much going on that any gang violence or corporate intrigue, as well as simply establishing who your V is, can carry the entire first half of the game.

Then, if some immortality chip is the direction the main quests want to take, that kind of item can drive the second half into something more serious than shenanigans around Night City. I'm not too worried about the "isn't there something more important to do" problem of open-world games. Games like GTA always found valid reasons to delay the next major plot point, leaving time for the player to explore and crank out some fun or quirky side quests.

Witcher 3 was as well-paced an open world game as I've ever seen. Pacing is easier when your side quests don't feel like a waste of everyone's time (looking at you, Final Fantasy XV.) Chasing immortality and transferring consciousness might be semi-typical for this genre. But so was a doomsday army with the Wild Hunt. With the right quest design, it'll be awesome.

If there is any sort of world-altering macguffin in the plot, I'd want it to appear more towards the midpoint of the story. This world has so much going on that any gang violence or corporate intrigue, as well as simply establishing who your V is, can carry the entire first half of the game.

I doubt about a world changing stuff. It's a prototype implant, I guess it's just "one" made.
In "Mona-Lisa Overdrive", there is the same kinda thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa_Overdrive
"He is hired by an acquaintance to look after the comatose "Count" (Bobby Newmark from the second novel, Count Zero, who has hooked himself into a super-capacity cyber-harddrive called an Aleph). A theoretical "Aleph" would have the RAM capacity to literally contain all of reality, enough that a memory construct of a person would contain the complete personality of the individual and allow it to learn, grow and act independently."

My guess is that the chip is an "Aleph", which is kinda like immortality, you could upload yourself in the "Matrix", a virtual utopia. Since it's unique, there aren't any world to save, just yourself from people wanting that stuff you got (and you could imagine an ending where V could upload it to the net, freeing Johnny silverhand in the cyberspace and launching a revolution, selling it for profit, destroying it, etc...

See it as if in World War 2, they would'have made ONE, UNIQUE, Atomic Bomb, something not doable again, and how the dude carrying it would run with so many forces on his back, wanting it for their own profit.
That's basicaly how things will happens in CP77 if things goes like that.
Everyone will want it, and V will have Johnny Silverhand like "Hermmm, well, what about no? I'm good here you know?"

The world as a whole won't change a bit if V have it or not, it's just about greed and power.
Someone WANT it, to upload him/herself on it, nothing more, nothing less.
There's a plane to escape hell, there's only one sit and V have the ticket.

So now I'm wondering if someone changed up SoulKiller, made it more.... user friendly? We've seen Johnny, why not Alt?

I hope this chip isn't the end all be all of the entire main story. A mcguffin everyone is fighting to possess seems a bit boring. I liked when the story was about making a name for yourself. I hope making a name for yourself still plays a role within the story.

I hope this chip isn't the end all be all of the entire main story. A mcguffin everyone is fighting to possess seems a bit boring. I liked when the story was about making a name for yourself. I hope making a name for yourself still plays a role within the story.

Doesn't seem mutually exclusive, I believe it's still referred to in the recent trailer where V says "Now we're hitting the big Leagues" or similar, implying a rise to the top. It's just an added twist with some experimental chip or so. But time will tell how it all plays out, I suppose. We'll know even more this week or until or with the end of Gamescom in August, I am certain.

I consider myself a very creative person, despite that I can't even begin to guess what the main story narrative will be. If they go with the "saving the world/night city" approach it feels too grandiose and over the top. The main story arc would feel... less personal I guess? I love revenge motives as a story component, but it would feel a bit too lackluster when it comes to depth when it comes to narrative if it's only that alone.

Like. You have V, a mercenary climbing the ranks of Night City. I feel that both a too grandiose and a too "small time" main quest narrative would feel off. IMO CDPR have created a game where the main story is very difficult to pull off to grant a satisfactory narrative conclusion. I don't envy them that, seems like a huge challenge when it comes to writing. But if I trust anyone to pull it off it's them.

On GOG etc. we have this description:

I wonder if this is only first act, or the entirety of main story quest. My personal theory this chip allows mind-uploading and the Johny Silverhand character (Keanu Reeves) we meet is virtual (he should already dead and would be older if not ).

What everybody thinks about this? I am not sure, story like that IMO is not Cyberpunk but Transhumanist/Post-Cyberpunk and too grand - we were told we will not be changing the world but story like that is without a doubt world-changing.
I have a theory about this. Nothing factual, you understand. But is it possible that whatever childhood hero you pick, be it Saburo, Morgan Blackhand or Mr. Silverhand it will be THAT icon/image/ hologram/ hallucination will be what will appear when you end up "rebooting"/ after you get the chip. This brings to mind another question: "Is it in the chip or all in your head?"

Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz in this interview reveal more about the storyline

The demo also offered a first glimpse at Cyberpunk’s overarching storyline when it transpired the protagonist, V, has a stolen chip which could hold the secret of immortality. Are you able to offer any more details?

We’ve shown you interact with this personality construct could Johnny Silverhand, played by Keanu Reeves. This is a big part of the narrative to the main storyline so you might expect to delve deeper into that. Also it touches upon the topic of transgression, which is a big thing for us in the story and the quests. The idea that the people of Night City continue to cross different borders in terms of what’s ethical and what should be done and where technology should tread in the world. The immortality problem and the problem of the construct will be properly treated in the game. It is a very big subject for us.

Are you taking stands on these subjects?

We prefer to paint a picture and let the players interpret it in their own ways. Like with this religious quest we want to be thought provoking but leave the interpretation to the players. Because I think that’s how good narration works. If you give players a problem and the solution to the problem it’s just not as interesting.

So Cyberpunk won’t have an explicit message about the dangers of technological advancement?

It’s like a thought experiment on what society could look like if it followed very specific principles. The world of Cyberpunk is governed by the corporations, they have all the power, they can do whatever they want with the puppet government. And of course they are using it to maximise profit and to push products. So a lot of it is ideological but the interpretation of it is left to the player.

full interview: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...interview-keanu-christianity-building-one-e3/

Here's what I think is going on in the game's story:
We know Alt Cunningham got trapped in a version of Soulkiller, after Arasaka kidnapped her to recreate it for them -- except THIS time able to freely roam the Net. Alt originally created what became Soulkiller as a means to upload one's consciousness to digital, then re-download it into a physical body. Thus "immortality." However, the corp she worked for wanted it to be an "attack" type of software, to trap enemies. This became Soulkiller.
We know Johnny Silverhand met a .... poor end ... in the 4th Corporate War. ... tho, as pointed out by Mike Pondsmith, no one ever found his body. Still, it IS 50 years later. (and we see Silverhand "warble" as a hologram or whatnot)
I suspect that Johnny's goal is to put both himself and Alt back into physical bodies, and he is using the player's character to help him do that and reunite them. Keanau pointed out in an interview that Silverhand's goals may or may not jive with the PC's goals. I suspect THAT is the overarching story of the game.
Soulkiller was originally software on heavy computer systems. It makes sense that in the intervening 50 years that Soulkiller (or a derivative) is now able to be on an implant chip.
Thoughts?

If they go with the "saving the world/night city" approach it feels too grandiose and over the top.
I feel like it's unlikely that they're going to go that way simply due to how in interview(s) with Mike Pondsmith he mentioned that the premise of Cyberpunk isn't to save the world - it's to save yourself. I presume that CDPR is very much aware of that idea (in no small part due to the fact they're working together with Mike to make this game) and the story will be reflective of that.

As a result, I'm of the opinion that V is being used as a guinea pig and the chip is both extremely experimental and dangerous to them and the longer they keep it implanted the higher the odds are of it killing V and/or altering their mind irrevocably (another type of "death", where you stop being "you" and become someone/something else). The plot surrounding it may likely be V will 1) try to get rid of it to avoid death / return to normal / get rid of Johnny-the-ghost-of-christmas-present, 2) try to find a buyer for the chip to get rich, 3) try to find someone/something to "fix" the chip and allow V to use it to become "immortal" instead of being killed by it, 4) somehow luck into surviving the chip's effect(s) when all of the above fails.

Alternatively, we may be missing/misunderstanding the wording of the way the plot tease was described. They mention that the implant is the "key to immortality" but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the implant itself that makes you immortal - rather, it may only be one piece of an entire device/system but it's the "key" component of it and the rest doesn't work without it or somesuch.

Food for thought. :think:

Last edited:
I'm still thinking breaking the "black wall" Netwatch put up over CP2077's "deep web" thus freeing Alt and perhaps restoring a world-wide-web (as opposed to the local nets CP2077) uses might be a possibility.

Consider, Johnny is on this side of the "black wall", Alt is on the other. Reuniting them is obviously a top priority for Johnny and we know he's a major NPC in the game.

Here's my theory is not just Johnny silver and his girlfriend with the immortality chip but depending on your path your Life path you could see the ghost of Morgan blackhand or Arasaka Ceo Saburo Arasaka. The end game is keeping it chip out of the corporations and also keeping them from going to war with each other over it.

I bet the main thing is humanity, and do not give up. Its what is happening in real life, people are using more and more drugs and stuff and losing their mind aka losing their humanity. Also I think people are becoming more narcissistic and self-centered in modern world.

I have never been into story much myself, wish there would be somekind of highlights you could remember, to be honest. Usually its same kind of crap what most companies use all the time. Not to mentiont if you think modern media as wide, they just try to suck us in into their fantasy world.

Last edited:
Here's my theory is not just Johnny silver and his girlfriend with the immortality chip but depending on your path your Life path you could see the ghost of Morgan blackhand or Arasaka Ceo Saburo Arasaka. The end game is keeping it chip out of the corporations and also keeping them from going to war with each other over it.
I think that it was already discussed how the whole :Saboro/Blackhand thing was scrapped. From what I have heard, for better or worse, we are stuck with Silverhand. But you never know, they might change their minds again.

Top Bottom