And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they got robbed? No, every single penny was given back in the form of in-game currency and to go as far as saying the game is completely different is a bit of a stretch, yes the value of cards, the thinning, leader effects are changed, but Gwent is still the game it was before with the changes of how much numbers a card provides! There are still unique effects, cool strategies and big brain decks, they are just not with the EXACT same feel as the ones in beta Gwent.

This is so wrong. People earlier in this thread spent 200+ euros, just for CDPR to abandon the game they invested in. If that happened to you, I'm sure you wouldnt be so unsympathetic.

You're actually claiming that Homecoming is the same game too? Stryker said it pretty well, but how is this the same game? When you change all the cards and mechanics in a card game it is no longer the same game, since thats all the gameplay. The ONLY things Homecoming and beta have in common is the 3 rounds system and recycled card artwork!

How can you say that playtesting was for nothing when it showed exactly why things like provision system, hand limit, less tutor etc were needed?

The game functioned fine with the old systems and arguably better. All of the testing we did was for those systems so scrapping them and starting brand new rendered the testing pointless.

I find archetypes and deck building to be worse right now so I don't yet see the benefit to scrapping the old systems. I was expecting to see immediate benefits at the release of homecoming but I really just saw problems.
Post automatically merged:

That´s just not correct. The testing lead to decisions and the result was that the developers didn´t like it or didn´t see much more potential. So they did this:

You are free to have that theory but there there is no way to know that for sure. They could have other reasons for wanting to change the systems. Heck they freely told us that they were going to two rows to see the cards better. If that's the case then the testing had nothing to do with it.

Guest 4305932

The game functioned fine with the old systems and arguably better. All of the testing we did was for those systems so scrapping them and starting brand new rendered the testing pointless.

Except it didn't. Tempo was a huge problem before the introduction of hand limit. Card design has an enormous problem with power creep and power levels because of the absence of provision. Tutor fiesta expecially after midwinter made the situation of 1 deck = 1 gameplan. Playtesting doesn't means change nothing, it means see what work and change or scrap what don't.

The public boards are not the place for personal bickering. Keep discussion respectful of all others at all times. If you happen to think another person's argument is not worth discussing, simply go find another discussion.

Last edited:
Except it didn't. Tempo was a huge problem before the introduction of hand limit. Card design has an enormous problem with power creep and power levels because of the absence of provision. Tutor fiesta expecially after midwinter made the situation of 1 deck = 1 gameplan. Playtesting doesn't means change nothing, it means see what work and change or scrap what don't.

Let's say that at least one of the systems did need to be changed based on the testing we did. All of the card balancing we did was still rendered pointless.

So I played a few games this season
I think that maybe if cards had more abilities, a passive and active, not just 1 ability, the game would get slightly more complex...

Large portions of the posts that i read compare the current gwent to beta, how HC ruined the game for them and how boring and unbalanced it is even after the expansions.

You are correct, Beta wasn't perfect (CB or OB). HC isn't either. Every iteration of Gwent has had glaring flaws. Beta vs HC boils down to the acceptability of those flaws. Yes, this would be subjective. I can distinctly recall the same logic being applied to the flaws in the game for all of it's life-time. X, Y or Z is broken or could be improved. With more time X, Y or Z will be improved. The game has "potential". The crux of the problem is... that isn't what happened. What happened is the slate was wiped clean and the reset button was pressed.

For the most part, problems were not solved. They were made irrelevant, via removal or simplification of mechanics, or replaced with... different problems. It would be one thing if the transition from beta to full release involved correcting problem areas while keeping the spirit of the game intact. Instead, the game was scrapped and replaced with another. Likewise, it would be one thing if that radical change resulted in the correction or reduction of problems. Again, I don't see it. HC has just as many issues with it as OB and CB. They're just different issues. Many of which exist as a result of attempted corrections to problem areas.

To use an analogy, say your left front tire goes flat in your car. The proper solution would be to get another functioning tire. Sure, you could take one of your other tires off and move it to the left front position. It "solved" your flat tire problem. You're still driving on three functioning tires. Now pretend you sell your car for a tricycle. <== Gwent Homecoming. You can pimp that tricycle out as much as you like. It's still a tricycle.

Perhaps some players would prefer a tricycle to a car. That's cool. To each their own. Other players just wanted another functioning tire.

Guest 4305932

Let's say that at least one of the systems did need to be changed based on the testing we did. All of the card balancing we did was still rendered pointless.

you are talking about card balancing that was done at the end of the season, right? If so then it's obvious that you need to rebalance all cards when you do changes like the provision. You can argue about how it was done ( imho they should have kept old power levels) but you could not just put a provision number on old cards.

you are talking about card balancing that was done at the end of the season, right? If so then it's obvious that you need to rebalance all cards when you do changes like the provision. You can argue about how it was done ( imho they should have kept old power levels) but you could not just put a provision number on old cards.

I am talking about all of the card balancing from before homecoming. They threw all of it out for the new systems and for me personally I enjoyed deck building a lot more when I put the cards in my deck that I wanted. Not cards that I am forced into because of provisions.

Just gonna chime in a bit and say I joined the uninstallation ship because of new expansion. Worst update in my gaming history ever. Until they fix the balance stuff I won't bother with the game 'cause it feels like a chore now, not like a fun stuff to do in your free time. OR AT LEAST PUT DAILY REWARDS TO ARENA ALREADY SO I DONT NEED TO CARE ABOUT BALANCE. Oops, sry for the off topic but I just couldn't hold it...

Guest 4305932

I am talking about all of the card balancing from before homecoming. They threw all of it out for the new systems and for me personally I enjoyed deck building a lot more when I put the cards in my deck that I wanted. Not cards that I am forced into because of provisions.

I understand but my point is that they could not keep old balance with the new system and could not keep the old system because of the problems it caused. this doesn't mean that tests were pointless because it showed exactly what didn't worked. Take provision, you said you could put cards you wanted, it's true but a the same time without provision and without mana there was no reason to not put simply the best cards which means that expansions had a huge powercreep problem.

I understand but my point is that they could not keep old balance with the new system and could not keep the old system because of the problems it caused. this doesn't mean that tests were pointless because it showed exactly what didn't worked. Take provision, you said you could put cards you wanted, it's true but a the same time without provision and without mana there was no reason to not put simply the best cards which means that expansions had a huge powercreep problem.

That explanation might work for me if the game felt much better than before. Instead there are just new problems coupled with old problems.

Balancing was definitely difficult for them back then. I would love to see some pay off for the changes because balancing is terrible now as well.

Guest 4305932

That explanation might work for me if the game felt much better than before. Instead there are just new problems coupled with old problems.

Balancing was definitely difficult for them back then. I would love to see some pay off for the changes because balancing is terrible now as well.

Like? The problems i see at the moment are mainly balance of factions and cards but it has nothing to do with the systems i'm talking about.

"Felt" involves subjective feeling but you have things like Midwinter that clearly showed the consequence of the lack of secondary value on cards.

Like? The problems I see at the moment are mainly balance of factions and cards but it has nothing to do with the systems I'm talking about.

"Felt" involves subjective feeling but you have things like Midwinter that clearly showed the consequence of the lack of secondary value on cards.
I can not agree more, as I said in some previous posts as well, Gwent was on the decline by a lot of people ON beta, because of the problems that were present back then. Now it's on a decline because of other reasons, not because it is unfair to new players or because it has a system that makes further development impossible(I'm look at you beta Gwent), OR balancing! Everyone can praise Beta all they want, but HC it's not the reason for population issues and I can say that with 2392139213821% certainty! You can get mad at me all you want, quote me and flood me with 100 opinions I will NOT change my mind! My personal opinion is that this post got too much attention and it's wise for both sides to just let it go and see how the game develops in the future, only THEN we can come back and tell ourselves "I told you!" Peace.

The forums serve as a means to express one's opinion and have a healthy discussion about it. Furthermore we can help each other not only by giving gameplay advice, but also by helping with technical problems. Lastly, and probably the most important for the devs, the forums are a way to give feedback and a source for CDPR to gauge public interest and trends.

Unfortunately, this thread is frequently derailed by various outbursts that have to be ended by intervention of a moderator. Not only that, but it contains feedback from almost a year ago. It's outdated in parts, difficult to navigate, and unmanageable as a reference for current feedback.

Moving forward, we want to encourage constructive criticisms. And, while this thread did indeed have some of that, it always got overshadowed (read: lost) by other discussions, which is a shame. As such, we want to move away from one big mega thread and focus more on smaller threads with dedicated topics. This should keep the feedback clear and manageable while also making it easier for (new) users to join the discussion.

And so it's time to put this thread to rest. Locking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom