PC restarting during the game (Possible Version issue)

+
PC restarting during the game (Possible Version issue)

Hey folks,

I got the Witcher 2 at the pre order in steam, and played the entire game in older versions with medium or high pre config.

Now I started a new play through but the game crashes and restarts even at the tutorial. I downed it to low config, but it keep coming down.

My PC is a Phenom 965 x4 3.2, 4 gb in ram ddr 3, using Radeon HD 5850. My OS is W7, and I run the game through steam.

Anyone has any clue of what may be happening here?

You say the PC is restarting?

That indicates something more than the game - the most likely problem is overheating or a power supply problem. Are you running any software to monitor temperatures? I suggest you do so.

Hi,
could be any number of issues let alone the game. Are there any artifacts or stripes just before crashing?

I would try and isolate what is causing the crash or restart.
Firstly try running a graphics intensive benchmark or game other than the witcher 2 and see if you run into any problems.

If you have access to another GPU try that.
Reinstall Graphics drivers. (this is all assuming it could be related to Graphics)

I would also run a cpu and memory benchmark for 30mins or so just to check.

Good point by Dragon bird, run some monitoring software in the background and see what your hardware is doing.

Check temps and voltage stability of your hardware.

I usually run Prime 95 whilst running 3dmark simultaneously

I use coretemp and it got a little lower than 60 degrees in game.

There is no stripes at all, no warnings too it just crash

I put it through some benchmarks but it dont crash during it...

Which programs do u suggest I use?

Yeah, I would also recommend to do a stress test of your rig.

Monitoring Temps/Load:
GPU: Afterburner
CPU: Real Temp

Stress Test:
GPU: FurMark
CPU: prime95

additional checks for RAM/VRAM:
VRAM(GPU): Video Memory stress Test
SYSRAM(PC): Memtest86

You can also try to run the game at "high" Settings but with a very low resolution (e.g. 640x480) in window mode. If your system won't crash with this setup you can (imo) validate if its something driver related with some gfx features and DirectX9.

I had in my case a similar problem a week ago with the W2EE.
Game crashed (completly freezed) at high settings in 1080p after a few minutes ingame. I could only do a hard reset of my rig. I checked Temps/Load & did a Test with the tools above. Everything went fine. Then I did a fresh Installation with the GOG Version of the Game and now it runs like a charm. I had no Idea what went wrong back days.
I could be a warning that some component in my system is slowly dying but I hope not^^. Never encountered this issue since then anymore.

From what I've seen if it's the PC restarting is often related to blue screens.

For win7
go to computer -> properties -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced -> Startup and recovery -> settings and remove the check mark "automatically restart" If the restart occurs it should show a blue screen from now on.

Top Bottom