Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mods help game stay alive longer, skyrim is alive thx to mods, also nice that developers go with there idea about FPP, but if i don't like that idea and TPP is more fun and immersive for me, i would instal that mod instantly, mods affect only people who instal them, if you don't like mods don't instal them, even when instaling mods i don't instal all mods just the one i want.

Also, if MP end up to be stand alone and i really hope so, i don't care about Cyberpunk MP in anyway shape or form, than you can easy have mods just for Single Player and mods for MP i think GTA online have mods to.

Best of both worlds would be a standalone game/download for multiplayer. This separates it from mods and doesn't take resources away from the single player dev team. Seems this is sort of the route they're going. Only 40 people working on multiplayer.
What a bizarre discussion.

I'm going to make my prediction now, and it's based on nothing but my own speculation and what "feels" right.

The game will release with absolutely no mod support at all. Nor will it ever be discussed until the major expansions are released. Once work on the SP part of the game is done...then we'll probably see something happen with modding. I think the desire for a major toolset will be in such high demand by then that a team will assemble to build one helluva kit.

Possibly a similar thing for MP. Perhaps...the two will be inherently entwined...very much like the original Neverwinter Nights construction kit was as much modding tools as it was a way to host "tabletop" RPG sessions.

I'm going to make my prediction now, and it's based on nothing but my own speculation and what "feels" right.

The game will release with absolutely no mod support at all. Nor will it ever be discussed until the major expansions are released. Once work on the SP part of the game is done...then we'll probably see something happen with modding. I think the desire for a major toolset will be in such high demand by then that a team will assemble to build one helluva kit.

Possibly a similar thing for MP. Perhaps...the two will be inherently entwined...very much like the original Neverwinter Nights construction kit was as much modding tools as it was a way to host "tabletop" RPG sessions.
This wouldn't be surprising, I didn't expect mod support at launch. Most companies that do support mods put that on the back burner until a bit after release. Not sure on CDPR's previous timing for things but waiting too long might be a bad move. I'd like to hear some kind of confirmation before launch whether it will be supported in the future though. I don't care past that on their timing but I'd hesitate to buy a game like this without mod support considering TW3 has a decent mod community

I wish I had as much faith in CDPR's enthusiasm for the modding community as you do.

I predict no, or very, very limited (TW3 or worse) modding support for Cyberpunk 2077; even if it would be a fantastic idea to do. Given 2077's inevitable popularity and "play your way" nature, it seems like a no brainer to add a true modding toolset. It would certainly extend the life of the game, and make the fans pretty happy.

But I get the feeling they simply can't be arsed to do it.

I wish I had as much faith in CDPR's enthusiasm for the modding community as you do.

I predict no, or very, very limited (TW3 or worse) modding support for Cyberpunk 2077; even if it would be a fantastic idea to do. Given 2077's inevitable popularity and "play your way" nature, it seems like a no brainer to add a true modding toolset. It would certainly extend the life of the game, and make the fans pretty happy.

Was TW3 modding that bad? I saw there were almost 2800 mods on the nexus. Not terrible but I didn't look into much of the content

Was TW3 modding that bad? I saw there were almost 2800 mods on the nexus. Not terrible but I didn't look into much of the content

I'll put it this way: a lot of those mods were created in spite of, not thanks to, TW3's mod support. In many cases, the community created their own tools. There are mod and texture limit issues baked into the game engine, and you constantly need to merge mods to get them to function properly, which is time consuming, irritating, and sometimes game-breaking.

That said, it was certainly better than nothing. So I'd take that over nothing for 2077. But it's not preferable.

I know this can come across as looking a gift horse in the mouth, but from my perspective, it's as if your gift horse has 3 broken legs and missing teeth. Is the horse still alive? Yes. Can the broken legs heal? Yes, with a lot of time and effort. Is it ever going to be as fast, healthy, or happy as a normal horse? Probably not.

So I'm happy we got anything, but sad they didn't do more. That said, TW3 was much more limited in terms of gameplay, so I can forgive it more.

This, I fully expect witcher 3 type mod "suppport" rather than skyrim mod support.

"bethesda level support"

what, not finishing or patching the game at all and expecting the community to do it then trying to charge for the communities work with the biggest slice going to them?

forgive me if i don't shed a tear over them not following that example.

"bethesda level support"

what, not finishing or patching the game at all and expecting the community to do it then trying to charge for the communities work with the biggest slice going to them?

forgive me if i don't shed a tear over them not following that example.

That's not what people mean when they say that and you know it. Let's not play the Bethesda hate game.

In the end a modder make modding tool for TW3, and like @Snowflakez say many mods was made in spite no real modding tools, same will happen even now with Cyberpunk 2077.

That's not what people mean when they say that and you know it. Let's not play the Bethesda hate game.

I feel like glossing over the cost of getting those sort of tools is disingenuous, like you are just getting something taken away from you for the sake of it rather than it being a trade off in work done by the dev's. Those where the down sides of getting those tools.

Regardless of the game quality you want to judge, you can hardly say the modding tools Bethesda gave are insufficient - quite the contrary. Time or resource "constraints" or not, if you add proper or "sufficient" modding tools, the community can do a lot and keep a game running way longer. In turn, the whole effort of making it is "worth it" more as people use it longer on average, compared to you buying a game for 50 bucks and playing it 2 hours - as simplified example of cost/entertainment value.

G-Mod: Dirt cheap, like 10 bucks, and thanks to being modding friendly, people could get literally thousands of hours out of it from SP modding or missions to online communities tailoring the experience (within the engine constraints) to their liking.

I feel or think that even with a game taking great care in making sure it's relatively subjectively flawless opposed to semi-faulty Beth games, you can somehow dedicate assets in the mid-run to boost modding capabilities.

No, I am no expert and surely it takes time, sweat and in a way money to get it done properly, but if the effort is generally realistically obtainable with the studio resources at hand or a bit of shifting, I believe that it should be pursued as it works towards a consumer or user friendly approach.

In simple terms, if you go through the effort it will be appreciated a lot and boost your product even more. If players can change textures and game content like landscapes, in- and exteriors and even come up with new NPCs, tweak factions and come up with new quests, that would empower the players a lot.

I feel like glossing over the cost of getting those sort of tools is disingenuous, like you are just getting something taken away from you for the sake of it rather than it being a trade off in work done by the dev's. Those where the down sides of getting those tools.
Feel however you want about it, getting a fully fleshed out and capable official mod tool has propelled their games to live a long time. Not sure what you mean with "expecting the community to do it then trying to charge for the communities work with the biggest slice going to them?" either. The creation club was voluntary for modders lol so blame the ones who wanted to get paid for.... getting paid.

This wouldn't be surprising, I didn't expect mod support at launch. Most companies that do support mods put that on the back burner until a bit after release. Not sure on CDPR's previous timing for things but waiting too long might be a bad move. I'd like to hear some kind of confirmation before launch whether it will be supported in the future though. I don't care past that on their timing but I'd hesitate to buy a game like this without mod support considering TW3 has a decent mod community

Can't "confirm" the future until it becomes the past. Even then, results can be sketchy. Their official stance on it is still -- no response; focusing on the single-player aspects. I fully expect that no one will hear anything about modding again until that plan has reached its conclusion.

I don't think it will boil down to enthusiasm in the end. I think it will simply be overwhelming demand. People are really, really going to want modding tools. (I know this because people always want modding tools. :p ) It's similar to things like NG+ being added into TW3. No initial plans, perhaps...perhaps even plans against. But when there are all those excited patrons calling for something...

Plus, as CP2077 is based on a very popular tabletop game, tools that will let players run their own adventures or engage with other players seems only natural.

Depends on what you compare it to. I am mod spoiled due to Fallout / Skyrim modding.

Exactly how I would address this. The first time I ever delved into modding was with Warcraft II. I had a plan to build something that was inherently Rage of Mages. It was brutal, man. I was trying to reverse-engineer scripts and editing text documents to get stuff to happen, then hoping the game would accept them. Partial success, then

When I dove into Morrowind modding...oh, wow. Was that intuitive. Like, extremely friendly. (And by today's standards, Morrowind's CK was quite difficult not user-friendly at all.) Still, most games don't offer any official tools. What exists is largely community-built projects or very basic tools that were added to over time. Beth's tools have spoiled us a bit.

Can't "confirm" the future until it becomes the past. Even then, results can be sketchy. Their official stance on it is still -- no response; focusing on the single-player aspects. I fully expect that no one will hear anything about modding again until that plan has reached its conclusion.

I don't think it will boil down to enthusiasm in the end. I think it will simply be overwhelming demand. People are really, really going to want modding tools. (I know this because people always want modding tools. :p ) It's similar to things like NG+ being added into TW3. No initial plans, perhaps...perhaps even plans against. But when there are all those excited patrons calling for something...

Plus, as CP2077 is based on a very popular tabletop game, tools that will let players run their own adventures or engage with other players seems only natural.

Exactly how I would address this. The first time I ever delved into modding was with Warcraft II. I had a plan to build something that was inherently Rage of Mages. It was brutal, man. I was trying to reverse-engineer scripts and editing text documents to get stuff to happen, then hoping the game would accept them. Partial success, then

When I dove into Morrowind modding...oh, wow. Was that intuitive. Like, extremely friendly. (And by today's standards, Morrowind's CK was quite difficult not user-friendly at all.) Still, most games don't offer any official tools. What exists is largely community-built projects or very basic tools that were added to over time. Beth's tools have spoiled us a bit.

See that's the thing beths tools are the new standard talking about modding tools. The toothpaste is out of the tube so no point in trying to shove it back in.

Anything less than beth type tools is just half kittening it just to be able to say they gave us some tools...so imo we need to stop with the attitude of we got spoiled and start saying it's the new standard or companies will keep thinking we can be satisfied with subpar tools etc.

It's like anything else in the tech world, it may be all woow ooohhh ahhh when new but after x amount of time it's just the new standard everything else will be compared to.

so imo we need to stop with the attitude of we got spoiled and start saying it's the new standard or companies will keep thinking we can be satisfied with subpar tools etc.

Releasing the toolkit for the general public is a big deal. Making it a higher bar is not going to make that an easier or more convincing decision for them.

Releasing the toolkit for the general public is a big deal. Making it a higher bar is not going to make that an easier or more convincing decision for them.

I'm sure they aren't even remotely bothered by what we here on the forums happen to think about their toolkits. They will release what they want to release, and if they decide to release nothing at all, it's certainly not because people here set the bar higher.

CDPR takes feedback into account only so far as it's practical to do so, and lines up with what they already want for the game. If they do not want to release mod tools, they will not do so, period, and nothing we say or do will change their mind (unless it for some reason causes a giant PR nightmare, but even then...). If they do want to, well, great!

Top Bottom