Weekly Poll - 7/26/2019 - Music

+

What music genres are you most looking forward to hearing in Cyberpunk 2077?

• Total voters
Are you saying they should take some German Dude like GTA5 did?

Btw, DJs are actually a thing in Cyberpunk, theres even own gang for them.

"The DJs are a Chromer gang whose membership consists of wannabe rockerboys with little or no talent (and a lot of expensive hardware). Most of them are tweens, engaging in small time crimes (Larceny, Ticket scalping, Bootleg memorabilia. "

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/D.J.'s

MATTN likes surprisingly good beats, but then out of sudden she can go some strange fantasy/barbie pad.

These are my favorite hard-techno girls.

Oh, you're talking about music that plays within the game worlds environment... I didn't know that, especially since I was talking about ambient music that plays in the background...

...however, when it comes to music within the environment, I think we will mostly encounter music from radios, TV's, and such. Obviously night-clubs will have music too, but I highly doubt we will see bigger events that often, like a popular DJ, band, or something like theme-parties. If we do, they will probably only exist during selected missions, thus not allowing us to visit such events in free roam.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE if random events, like parties, would appear randomly in free roam. You know, like a contact calling: "Yo V, my girl! It's ladies-night at Warehouse 69. You're coming or what?" And when the player arrives, there's an actual party going on, maybe even with random encounters of romance-able NPC's . Such events could even be used as a hook for side activities...
...like racing. Think of Fast and Furious, when the guys meet with their cars at a random location, blasting their music, showing off their cars, and basically having a party on the street? Imagine that in the game, with the opportunity to walk around, meet the other drivers and engaging in some banter with them before challenging them to a race. And after the race, the crowd reacts to your performance, like cheering on us when we won the race. Or when we lost, the driver who won comes over to rub it into our noses...

...sadly that would be way too much to expect from the devs. Who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years such things become more feasible?

5, 7, 9
Synthwave is the future, I'm hoping the ambient soundtrack includes some Vangelis-tier jazz music, and nothing beats going on a killing spree while listening to classical music.

This may just be me but I would love to have the tone and feel of Bjork's - Army of me, or the song directly, incorporated into the game...

Oh, you're talking about music that plays within the game worlds environment... I didn't know that, especially since I was talking about ambient music that plays in the background...

...however, when it comes to music within the environment, I think we will mostly encounter music from radios, TV's, and such. Obviously night-clubs will have music too, but I highly doubt we will see bigger events that often, like a popular DJ, band, or something like theme-parties. If we do, they will probably only exist during selected missions, thus not allowing us to visit such events in free roam.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE if random events, like parties, would appear randomly in free roam. You know, like a contact calling: "Yo V, my girl! It's ladies-night at Warehouse 69. You're coming or what?" And when the player arrives, there's an actual party going on, maybe even with random encounters of romance-able NPC's . Such events could even be used as a hook for side activities...
...like racing. Think of Fast and Furious, when the guys meet with their cars at a random location, blasting their music, showing off their cars, and basically having a party on the street? Imagine that in the game, with the opportunity to walk around, meet the other drivers and engaging in some banter with them before challenging them to a race. And after the race, the crowd reacts to your performance, like cheering on us when we won the race. Or when we lost, the driver who won comes over to rub it into our noses...

...sadly that would be way too much to expect from the devs. Who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years such things become more feasible?

I think the music should dynamically change throughout the game, depends on what you are doing. Not stuff like GTA, where music only plays while driving a car, or then Fallout 4, you can switch on and off, it gives a bit more atmosphere. Music is big deal in Cyberpunk, hopefully devs pays attention to it. They havent said anything about how its done, right? Also I hope Cyberpunk's music is way more than some background atmspheric stuff, what most games prefer.

Cyberpunk 2077 should be like extremely long music video, where music and mood changes depending on what player is doing. Thats the best way to give cyberpunk music the best attention it deserves.

I think I just created the idea of decade, games what are like music videos, any chance game industry start doing these???

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 should be like extremely long music video, where music and mood changes depending on what player is doing. Thats the best way to give cyberpunk music the best attention it deserves.
That sounds... awful. I really would be quite disappointed when Cyberpunk 2077 would end up like Suicide Squad...

That sounds... awful. I really would be quite disappointed when Cyberpunk 2077 would end up like Suicide Squad...

Oh, its been done before?

I think idea is quite fun, games what are almost like music videos, or then the game sends you inside a music video etc.

Btw, I would be very disappointed if they did GTA or Fallout.

Oh, its been done before?
Suicide Squad is a movie, where the producers had the not so genius idea, to let a company that makes only trailers (and music videos too, I think?), do the final cut. The movie is essentially nothing more then a two hour long trailer/music-video.

It was quite difficult for me to watch... just awful.

Suicide Squad is a movie, where the producers had the not so genius idea, to let a company that makes only trailers (and music videos too, I think?), do the final cut. The movie is essentially nothing more then a two hour long trailer/music-video.

Right. Well I thought I was going somewhere with my idea. I wouldnt mind if sometimes I felt like I was in music video while playing Cyberpunk 2077. I honestly think it fits for Cyberpunk World. Most games has game then theres music, but Cyberpunk should bring them more together, yeah the music and the world should meet better in this game. Music Videos makes sense as theres Media Role too. Media itself is massive part of Cyberpunk World.

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Media

Interestingly Media isnt own Corp, they are owned by Corps.

Last edited:

So a Martin Scorsese film?

Excuse me??? I don't understand...

Cyberpunk has more music than any other seires I know in game industry. It brings own kind of challenge for devs. Usually game itself and music are quite disconnected or then the music is outshadowed by the game. But yeah, this topic is becoming tiring, if player occasionally feels like he/shes in a music video might do the trick, not that it brings music and world together but the Media role/thing too, they could hit 3 flies with one rock so to speak.

Usually game itself and music are quite disconnected or then the music is outshadowed by the game.
That seems like a half baked argument, and not very well thought out too.

There are many games with fantastic musical scores, old and new. The Witcher 3 has amazing music that fits the game like a glove. The Assassins Creed games, as generic they might be, usually have excellent music. One of my favorite soundtracks was from Battlefield 3, and I even don't like the game itself very much. Heck, even really old games often had fantastic music, just look at Tetris or Pac-Man, both games have become almost unimaginable with different music.

Nowadays many games, especially AAA games, are just as equally treated with music, like the really big blockbuster movies. In that regard, I think it's very unfair, to claim that games and music are usually disconnected, or that the games outmatch the music.

That seems like a half baked argument, and not very well thought out too.

There are many games with fantastic musical scores, old and new. The Witcher 3 has amazing music that fits the game like a glove. The Assassins Creed games, as generic they might be, usually have excellent music. One of my favorite soundtracks was from Battlefield 3, and I even don't like the game itself very much. Heck, even really old games often had fantastic music, just look at Tetris or Pac-Man, both games have become almost unimaginable with different music.

Nowadays many games, especially AAA games, are just as equally treated with music, like the really big blockbuster movies. In that regard, I think it's very unfair, to claim that games and music are usually disconnected, or that the games outmatch the music.

Witcher 3 had amazing music? Really. It was exactly those games where music was outshadowed by the game, it was perfectly put in the shadow of the game. Cyberpunk Music must be more "present".

It was exactly those games where music was outshadowed by the game, it was perfectly put in the shadow of the game.
Wait, do you mean the music was out-shadowed by the game, or that the game was out-shadowed by the music? You're phrasing is not very precise here.

Music Videos are one way to add more music present without turning the music up too much. Also I dont know any game what has "music videos".

Also Cyberpunk 2077 should have "volume slider" usually its hidden in options. It should give nice twist to the game if it was in-game stuff.

Last edited:
I went with options 11, 12, & 13.

11 - Nothing from the real world because those choices date the game and associate it with anything that has ever used it in the soundtrack.
12 - I don't care about the genre, just give me a good variety.
13 - Don't try to ape current/existing music, come up with an idea for the sounds of the future and go nuts. I'd rather have unique than grammy worthy.

In the past I've suggested a CULTURE based rather than GENRE based approach to music in 2077. That approach aims to answer a few questions:

Who is making this music and why?

Who is listening to this music and why?

(For anyone interested https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/poll-layered-music-culture-discussion.10997065/)

So all music fell into three categories regardless of Genre (CORPOculture, SUBculture and COUNTERculture). This also avoids conflating concepts like "Punk" with the "Punk Rock music" genre.

Top Bottom