Poor, Lonely Yarpen Zigrin! Where Are His Friends?

+
Ay, the time has come for another Dwarven call to arms!

Since Yarpen Zigrin's ability was given to his cousin Gabor, the old chap simply hasn't seen much action -- at least not in my experience.

Nowadays, Yarpen seems far too problematic to risk inclusion in a deck -- with his present ability: 'Every allied turn, on turn end, if there are no allied units on the battlefield, boost self by 3'; 3 Power, 8 Provision Cost. If he's not struck from the board at once by the opponent, his ability is usually rather short-lived, anyway, as he simply doesn't synergise well with other Dwarves, or anyone else, for that matter. Poor fellow!

Ever wonder about this ability? Where exactly does it fit in the lore? In 'The Bounds of Reason', Yarpen was leader of a troupe of jolly Dwarves: Lucas Corto, Paulie Dahlberg, Regan Dahlberg, Xavier Moran, and Yannick Brass. Moreover, in The Witcher Adventure Game, we has four of his mates with him for support. In Assassins of Kings, Yarpen, Zoltan Chivay, and Sheldon Skaggs fought at Geralt's side, down in the mines of Vergen. By all accounts, Yarpen is fiercest when amongst friends. Why not in Gwent?

I think a change is needed. At the very least, he should synergise with his comrades-in-arms, Paulie Dahlberg, and Xavier Moran (whose abilities could stand some work as well, perhaps).

For example: If either Paulie Dahlberg or Xavier Moran are on the battlefield, boost self by 2. If both Paulie and Xavier are on the battlefield, boost self by 4 instead. Alternatively: If either Paulie Dahlberg or Xavier Moran is played on the battlefield, boost that unit by 1. OR, If both Paulie and Xavier are on the battlefield, boost each of them by two.

Naturally, these are mere rough ideas, which doubtless could be improved. The bottom line is that I feel Yarpen should interact with his friends, or other Dwarves again.

His concept seems to be from a past, when no unit decks were still desirable and ST being allowed to play full special cards.
Now we know that those decks aren't good for the game and there is no reason for him to support those anymore.

If either Paulie Dahlberg or Xavier Moran are on the battlefield, boost self by 2. If both Paulie and Xavier are on the battlefield, boost self by 4 instead. Alternatively: If either Paulie Dahlberg or Xavier Moran is played on the battlefield, boost that unit by 1. OR, If both Paulie and Xavier are on the battlefield, boost each of them by two.
I'm not really a fan of such a concept, as it feels too forced and the effect is rather uninteresting.

I think just reversing his current concept would be rather fitting to make him a golden Mahakam Defender.
Yarpen Zigrin (3 Power, 8 Provisions): On turn end boost self by 1. Increase the boost by 1 for each adjacent boosted dwarf.

He synergizes by being surrounded by other dwarves, which would be a more general take on his merry group.

His concept seems to be from a past, when no unit decks were still desirable and ST being allowed to play full special cards. Now we know that those decks aren't good for the game and there is no reason for him to support those anymore.
I agree entirely. His ability seems quite out-moded now. However, even back when unitless decks were an issue, I rarely recall seeing him in play. (I think I encountered him twice, perhaps.)
I'm not really a fan of such a concept, as it feels too forced and the effect is rather uninteresting.
Fair enough. I freely admit I'm not very good at suggesting specific abilities.
I think just reversing his current concept would be rather fitting to make him a golden Mahakam Defender.
Yarpen Zigrin (3 Power, 8 Provisions): On turn end boost self by 1. Increase the boost by 1 for each adjacent boosted dwarf.
Personally, I like the idea -- or, possibly: On turn end, boost self by 1, so long as there is at least one other boosted Dwarf on the battlefield?

Personally, I like the idea -- or, possibly: On turn end, boost self by 1, so long as there is at least one other boosted Dwarf on the battlefield?
Would definetly work too, but considering that Eskel is already pretty similar, there should be something more. What about, when Yarpen reachs 8 power, gain Resilence?

Top Bottom