No mouse cursor when starting game

+
Occasionally when I launch the game (Steam version) there is no mouse cursor at the main menu. It's still there, as when I click wildly it'll occasionally click something. It's as if it's gone invisible. I can still alt-tab out of the game.
Is this a known issue?

Running legacy games can be a challenge. Be sure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). Protected directories can interfere a lot of strange ways with games -- especially with legacy titles that were built for prior versions of Windows.

If you're using a mouse with 3rd-party drivers (Saitek, Razer, Logitech, etc.) you may need to deactivate/uninstall those and use the mouse through UPnP.

Try switching the compatibility modes for the .EXE. I'd guess that either Windows XP (SP2) or Windows 7 would be the optimal choices, but it's possible that other settings might work better for you. Try setting things like this:
1565004795927.png

Hmmm. I'm beginning to detect a pattern. When the game is still loading, at the bit where the wolf medallion is displayed, when I shift-tab to close the steam overlay that pops up about the game key, that usually triggers the invisible mouse. When I leave everything alone until the game loads everything works as it should.

Hmmm. I'm beginning to detect a pattern. When the game is still loading, at the bit where the wolf medallion is displayed, when I shift-tab to close the steam overlay that pops up about the game key, that usually triggers the invisible mouse. When I leave everything alone until the game loads everything works as it should.

Task switching is often problematic for games that aren't really designed for it. I would disable the Steam Overlay, any form of cloud storage, and maybe even run the game in Offline Mode.

What you're describing above definitely sounds like Steam is taking focus away from the game, and the game doesn't really know how to get it back.

Top Bottom